[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Heldt's ceiling  (Read 8086 times)

tower912

• All American
Matt Heldt's ceiling
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm that bored.   

Matt is exactly the type of big man that neither Crean nor Buzz could land.    A program big, one who grows and develops and is significantly better as a senior than he was as a freshman.    The kind that Bo made a career with.   Land a Matt Heldt every year or two and your program remains on solid footing.    I am thrilled hearing that he has radically changed his body in the months he has been on campus, exchanging baby fat for muscle.   I wanted Wojo to find more minutes for him against cupcakes, but the cupcakes didn't have enough big men to warrant him coming off of the bench, and I don't think he can guard a quick guy in space yet.    When he has come in for Luke during conference play, other than the moving picks, he hasn't been bad.    He has been what you expect a freshman big to be.   Energetic, awkward, a little unsure of where he is supposed to be and how he is supposed to use his body against guys his size with more experience.    I have no complaints.

His ceiling?    I think he will be ready to step in and start when Luke leaves after next year.    I don't think he will ever be a 16-9 guy, but I think in two years he can start and be a 9-7 guy.   In a perfect world, in two years there will be another guy just like him arriving on campus.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt's ceiling
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
I would say Buzz did recruit a guy like that in Otule, although he was here for longer than 4 years.  I would expect Matt to be better than Chris.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
Marquette under Al was always known for its great guard play but, as you point out, the anchor of the success was Al's ability to consistently land aircraft carriers.

The first sign that karma had changed was when Hank whiffed on Bowie and we signed Marquardt. At the time we were sorely disappointed but two years later we would have killed to sign another Marquardt when we struck out on Downing.

Death on call

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
Jarrod Lovette

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
Keefe

I was a big Sir Walter guy, but agree that it is far from home run landing him. Losing out on Bowie hurt big time.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »
Marquette under Al was always known for its great guard play but, as you point out, the anchor of the success was Al's ability to consistently land aircraft carriers.

The first sign that karma had changed was when Hank whiffed on Bowie and we signed Marquardt. At the time we were sorely disappointed but two years later we would have killed to sign another Marquardt when we struck out on Downing.

I think not getting Downing was always the biggest disappointment for Rick in his basketball life. Just as in the case of Doc, Walter was a guy that Rick had a relationship with for years before his college days.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »
I think Rick biggest disappointment was when he didn't land Joe Wolf.He was Head Coach then and landing Wolf would have been huge for his career at MU.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »
I would say Buzz did recruit a guy like that in Otule, although he was here for longer than 4 years.  I would expect Matt to be better than Chris.
Actually, Chris was signed by tom Crean.  though, buzz was the assistant who knew the HS coach.  Looking forward to seeing Matt develop.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
I like Matt's game.  He has a great attitude, is a team player, good rebounder and shot blocker.  He will help this team win every year.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »
Actually, Chris was signed by tom Crean.  though, buzz was the assistant who knew the HS coach.  Looking forward to seeing Matt develop.
right, so did buzz get him to stay during the transition? ala sandy cohen with wojo?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:47:23 PM »
Jolf Wolf was Rick's biggest disappointment by a wide margin. There was much behind the scene with Walter and really out of Rick's hands. Joe Wolf hurt far more than Walter going to DePaul for a couple of years.

As for Matt's ceiling, I think about seven feet and not a great deal more than that.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
Walter wanted to come to MU.His Mother had a different opinion.

brandx

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
I think Rick biggest disappointment was when he didn't land Joe Wolf.He was Head Coach then and landing Wolf would have been huge for his career at MU.

You may be right.

I said Downing because Rick thought he had him for sure. With Wolf, it was between us and NC and it was generally thought NC was the leader.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
Keefe

I was a big Sir Walter guy, but agree that it is far from home run landing him. Losing out on Bowie hurt big time.

I remember how Downing came down to MU and DePaul. When he announced DePaul it seemed like the end of the world. We turned around and signed Lloyd Moore and we all know how that turned out.

Hank continued to sign great guards. But unlike Al, he never could get the aircraft carrier.

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
Walter was tough because he wanted to be at MU. Outside "distractions" made that not happen.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »
Had Wolf come ta MU, Rick would still be our coach, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
Doc,

As you know as well as anyone, losing Wolf changed MU basketball a great deal. Really was a big hit to the program. Rick 100% thought he landed him up to the last hour prior to decision.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
Tower--I like you, have been on the MH bandwagon all along. Some people think he is a slow plodder. He has dropped weight already, banging more inside, and a sideline cheerleader.
He is in a great spot this year. Not really needed. Next year we will count on him more. Junior year he will be a solid force. When he is a junior, get a similar player coming in as a freshmen. That works for me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
Tower--I like you, have been on the MH bandwagon all along. Some people think he is a slow plodder. He has dropped weight already, banging more inside, and a sideline cheerleader.
He is in a great spot this year. Not really needed. Next year we will count on him more. Junior year he will be a solid force. When he is a junior, get a similar player coming in as a freshmen. That works for me.

I am with you on this.  He looked completely lost early this season and how can make solid contributions in limited minutes.  Never will be a star, but will be considered a solid player.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
Had Wolf come ta MU, Rick would still be our coach, ai na?
Well, at least until 2012.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:44 PM »
Well, at least until 2012.

OK.  I laughed.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
Amal McCaskill
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 01:43:26 PM »
Jarod Lovette had a much more impactfull season as a freshmen.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 01:44:43 PM »
Keefe

Bowie was the beginning of the end. Al stays he we sign Bowie.

Death on call

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 01:46:47 PM »
Keefe

Didn't Walter have a shoulder injury by the time he got to MU?  As I recall, he was more than serviceable.  I think he had a big game @ Creighton his Sr. year.  Also, I remember seeing him outside the players locker room as a kid and thinking he was Moses Malone.  He looked older than Moses back then too....

feedback