[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What is the ceiling for Traci?  (Read 5442 times)

tower912

• All American
What is the ceiling for Traci?
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
Another steal.   Clearly, his HS knee injury hurt his recruiting.   Kudos to Wojo and Co for bringing this Philly steak to Milwaukee.   

He isn't going to get taller.    He needs to get better finishing around the rim in traffic.    Lessons from Haanif?   ;)     He has a great handle, a great attitude, is a leader in the making.   Somebody said that he reminds them of a Buzz recruit because of his junkyard dog attitude.   I'll buy that.   He is going to have competition at the 1 going forward, with Haanif, Rowsey, and Howard (?).
If Howard doesn't come, I see Traci has a starter, though in and out of the starting line up for the next couple of years.     Ultimately, the best PG at MU since Dominic James.    Probably a better shooter, but not quite as athletic.    A starter, a contributor, one we are glad came to MU, a level higher than Cadougan, but not quite at the level to get added to the Mt. Rushmore of great MU point guards. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: What is the ceiling for Traci?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:30 PM »
I don't know if I see a great handle yet. Still lets the dribble get a little high for my liking, but he's getting better. But I absolutely love his makeup.

Needs some polish yet, but I see a guy that wants the ball, and isn't afraid of the moment. And I really like that.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »
tranfer home and finish out at Temple when our savior Markus Howard commits

Traci is a wild ride & fun to watch at such a young age

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
I think Traci will go down as our best PG since Dominic James, and really hope he signals a return to Marquette having great point guards. That said, the kid still has a ways to go. Needs to get stronger in the lane, tighter with the handle, and work on defending without fouling.

As much as I like Carter, I don't think he'll exceed what we got from Dom. That kid took some flack because he never became the All-World player we thought he could after that amazing freshman year, but he was a stud for us. I see Traci's ceiling as a hybrid of the best qualities of Junior and Derrick. Like Junior, Traci can get to the hoop and create shots for others. Like Derrick, he's a solid defender. His biggest problems are that he also turns it over like Junior and while he gets to the hoop, he converts like sophomore-year Derrick. If he can keep up the long-range shooting while developing into the kind of fairly reliable inside scorer those two became as seniors, I'd be overjoyed.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »
I think Traci will go down as our best PG since Dominic James, and really hope he signals a return to Marquette having great point guards. That said, the kid still has a ways to go. Needs to get stronger in the lane, tighter with the handle, and work on defending without fouling.

As much as I like Carter, I don't think he'll exceed what we got from Dom. That kid took some flack because he never became the All-World player we thought he could after that amazing freshman year, but he was a stud for us. I see Traci's ceiling as a hybrid of the best qualities of Junior and Derrick. Like Junior, Traci can get to the hoop and create shots for others. Like Derrick, he's a solid defender. His biggest problems are that he also turns it over like Junior and while he gets to the hoop, he converts like sophomore-year Derrick. If he can keep up the long-range shooting while developing into the kind of fairly reliable inside scorer those two became as seniors, I'd be overjoyed.

He already has a significantly better 3 point shot and mid range shot than both Derrick and Junior had, and that's a good place to start. There's a lot more space on the floor this year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
He already has a significantly better 3 point shot and mid range shot than both Derrick and Junior had, and that's a good place to start. There's a lot more space on the floor this year.

Definitely a better three-point shooter than either of them. Also better at the line. His big bugaboo right now is his inability to finish at the rim. I think that will come with experience and strength, both things that Junior and Derrick added during their careers that allowed both to become good finishers at the hoop by their senior years. I just hope Tra gets there sooner than that. This is a big offseason for him.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Definitely a better three-point shooter than either of them. Also better at the line. His big bugaboo right now is his inability to finish at the rim. I think that will come with experience and strength, both things that Junior and Derrick added during their careers that allowed both to become good finishers at the hoop by their senior years. I just hope Tra gets there sooner than that. This is a big offseason for him.
Traci certainly finished well at the rim last night.  Also should have gotten FTs at the end of the first OT.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
I like Traci. I get a little nervous when he has the ball...he's got pretty loose handles, but you can see he has a ton of talent. I think he'll turn out to a pretty great PG for MU. Like others said, he's still got a long way to go, but I like what I see more and more with every game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
Traci certainly finished well at the rim last night.  Also should have gotten FTs at the end of the first OT.

He was okay, but he's not consistent in that regard, and the tying layup was about as much a gimme as you could ever get. But I look more at the long view than trends. Derrick and Junior were consistently good going to the rim as seniors. Lots of work to get there. But with Traci, I think he's ahead of their curve. That's why I'm high on him. Honestly, I think Traci as a freshman is better than either Junior or Derrick were as sophomores.

Agreed he should have got free throws. The refs were awful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 03:13:07 PM »
Overall impact around the Cordell Henry level, though a different array of stats.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
Carl Krauser.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »
He was okay, but he's not consistent in that regard, and the tying layup was about as much a gimme as you could ever get. But I look more at the long view than trends. Derrick and Junior were consistently good going to the rim as seniors. Lots of work to get there. But with Traci, I think he's ahead of their curve. That's why I'm high on him. Honestly, I think Traci as a freshman is better than either Junior or Derrick were as sophomores.

Agreed he should have got free throws. The refs were awful.

And honestly, I don't think it's that close. JR year Junior and SR year Derrick were better than FR year Traci, but Traci is going to be a good one.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
Carl Krauser.

Is he still playing for Pitt?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
I'm high on Carter. The way he can dribble through the middle of the defense is something we never saw in junior or Derrick. I think he will end up being a better shooter than Dom. If he can learn to finish at the rim consistently, he'll be the best since Diener.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »
Cordell Henry

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 07:48:22 PM »
Possibly better than the previous PG. At this point I stress possibly better.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »

And by possibly better you mean better already, right?

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
Seems to be gaining confidence as we go, and I think the other guys are pumping him up.
He's a keeper, I can see him figuring it out,hes small but quick and he will strengthen his handle!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
Second Team All BE.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 12:29:57 AM »

You did actually watch Derrick Wilson play basketball, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
Traci's got swagger and vision which are essential for a pg.   he is improving , and gets to the rim consistently - needs to finish and sometimes passes it out instead of trying to score - but he is getting better.   A pump fake would to him wonders under the basket.

Decent shooter, great enthusiasm, confident - I like.  I'm feeling better each game with the ball in his hands.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:13:32 AM »
MU82

I saw Derrick play a lot of basketball during his career at MU. In addition, I have seen every PG that has played at MU for a long period of time. IMO there is ZERO chance that Carter is a four year starter at MU. This is position that needs major uptick in talent moving forward.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
MU82

I saw Derrick play a lot of basketball during his career at MU. In addition, I have seen every PG that has played at MU for a long period of time. IMO there is ZERO chance that Carter is a four year starter at MU. This is position that needs major uptick in talent moving forward.

Well, you're right about Carter not being a 4-year starter, as he is not a starter right now. Otherwise, you can't possibly know what is going to happen next at PG for MU.

Wojo is recruiting other PGs and I agree with you that an upgrade would be great. But just because he is recruiting them it doesn't mean he will get any of them. We were stuck with Derrick by default due to Buzz's inability to land a PG, and Carter might be "our guy" because he has to be.

My main problem with your earlier comment is that you implied Carter might not be better than Derrick, quite possibly the worst two-season starter at PG any major-conference team has fielded in many years.

Traci already has demonstrated skills Derrick only wishes he had. If Carter works to correct his shortcomings, the differences between him and Wilson will be tenfold. If Wojo successfully recruits somebody better than Carter, I will be delighted; Carter might not be as happy nd he might transfer, and that would be OK, too. Always Be Recruiting!

Traci/Derrick is a silly comparison, IMHO, and someone such as yourself -- who is so well-versed in MU PG history -- should have been above making it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
MU 82

Everyone has different standards and expectations from players. I still laugh at the John Dawson being the PG  of the future posts from a couple of years ago. I am afraid everyone out here either has amnesia and forgot what a top tier PG looks like or are too young and have only seen subpar PG performance in their life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
MU 82

Everyone has different standards and expectations from players. I still laugh at the John Dawson being the PG  of the future posts from a couple of years ago. I am afraid everyone out here either has amnesia and forgot what a top tier PG looks like or are too young and have only seen subpar PG performance in their life.

I think we agree more than we disagree here. I also didn't get the Dawson love. It was just your Derrick comment that threw me.

I hope we never, ever, EVER go through a two-year stretch with a PG who can't create for others, who can't create for himself, who can't make a FT, who can't make a 3-pointer, who dribbles in place while the shot clock winds down and who can be completely ignored by opposing defenses.

I'm trying to think of a bigger ongoing frustration I've experienced in 37 years as a Marquette fan, and I'm coming up empty. My wife has even noticed how much more positive I am this season now that Derrick is gone.

And for those who extol Derrick's virtues as a fine young man -- and who state that it wasn't HIS fault he had to start -- I agree with those things, too. He simply was a Chicago State PG playing in the Big East, and it was soooo painful to watch.