[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What is the ceiling for Haanif?  (Read 9236 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: What is the ceiling for Haanif?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
And don't get me wrong, I like Cheatham and think he has a ton of upside, but they coined the term "sophomore slump" for a reason. Right now, he's probably the fourth or fifth guy teams are preparing for. No one is thinking "you need to take Haanif away" to beat Marquette, they're thinking of taking away Henry, Luke, and Duane (and maybe Jajuan).

Next year, will he be a bigger part of the offense, or a smaller one? It's not inconceivable that Luke, Duane, JJ, and Rowsey as upperclassmen take the bulk of the shots, while the idea that we could land Howard would give us two PGs (Carter as well) that would be ahead of Haney.

My hope is that Cheatham is a kid who's ahead of the curve and grows into an even more influential player next year. The adage "freshmen want to play, sophomores want to start, juniors want to score, seniors want to win" is interesting when applied to Haanif because as a freshman, he's playing, starting and scoring. I'd love to see him in senior mindset next year with three years of ferocious, win-at-all-costs mentality. But will he get there? We'll see.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
Absolutely needs to learn how to finish with his right hand, I can't remember one instance this year where he hasn't come back to his left at the rim.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
ceiling would be wes mathews...will he ever get there?  i doubt it...just because not many do.  he reminds me of wes in many ways from his size, to how he uses his body, to his mature personality.  i absolutely love the kid...and wojo has to love coaching him. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 02:35:23 PM »
haanif is really good and will probably get even better with experience, absolutely love his game, his demeanor... but let's face it, these guys are a dime a dozen, (well maybe half dozen) in the NBA.  he needs and will develop something that separates himself some.  he will be our leader.  please please don't leave us too soon.  holy schmit, i didn't realize he's listed as 6'5".  ok, let's keep him thru at least junior year
don't...don't don't don't don't

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
Absolutely needs to learn how to finish with his right hand, I can't remember one instance this year where he hasn't come back to his left at the rim.

I'm far less concerned about his ability to learn how to use his right hand more going forward than i am with him currently being a turnover machine. I get that he's a freshman, but he commits way to many what the hell are you doing turnovers.

Granted, the whole team is overly turnover prone, but Hannif is arguably the biggest culprit.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Haanif is already on Draft Express top freshman list. Only 10 spots behind Sumner who Wojo said could be a lottery pick this year.

Can't wait to see what Cheatham looks like next year

That list is BS. No chance im hell there are 67 better freshman the Hannif.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Haney is an excellent frosh,don't know what else we could hope for. He seems mature for his age
and I'm sure he knows what to work on next summer. I wish all the new guys carried themselves
like he has.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 02:55:41 PM »
For what it's worth...

Haanif is averaging 11.4/game (but has exceeded and even doubled that in all but 5 games since Presbyterian).  He has 286 points so far on the season.

Jerel averaged 11.1 as a frosh for a total of 343.

Haanif needs 57 points to equal Jerel's freshman scoring total.  He could do that as early as Creighton (road), and almost certainly will top it by the end of the BEast season, postseason notwithstanding.

If it comes down to simply pace, Haanif is on pace to eclipse Jerel's total.  However, Haanif may not see the improvement that Jerel saw.  Or, he may make the jump early. 

In my mind, Haanif is the player Vander Blue was supposed to be as a freshman.  Hopefully, Haanif does what Vander didn't and sticks around for four years.  If he does, there's no way Haanif ISNT a top 5 all time scorer, if not #1.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
Granted, the whole team is overly turnover prone, but Hannif is arguably the biggest culprit.

Not saying he doesn't have room for improvement, but he's never been asked to play PG before.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
Haanif 35 - Hurricane Ditka 12
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
I love Haanif. Do think he has a legit shot at the scoring title. He might break it after Duane does.

What I want to see him improve is strength and rebounding. We're likely going to be a small team next season. We need him crashing the boards the way Josh Hart does for Nova
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
I said early that he would be the leading scorer by his junior year and also a possible All-American by his senior year.

But a comparison to Pippen? Not a chance. Ever. Not even in the same universe.

Jalen Rose? No way. He was a very, very good college and NBA player with a great offensive game.

Still too early to tell if HC is an NBA player. Looks like he has the athletic ability/quickness and the aptitude. If he broadens his offensive repertoire, he has an excellent chance.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »
I'm far less concerned about his ability to learn how to use his right hand more going forward than i am with him currently being a turnover machine. I get that he's a freshman, but he commits way to many what the hell are you doing turnovers.

Haanif is averaging 2.9 tpg.

Three kids named McNeal, James and Matthews averaged 3.8, 2.8 and 2.3 tpg as frosh.

And Haanif is playing PG for the first time ever.  He will be fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:31 PM »
Give him the ball with 9 seconds left and let him drive to the basket just like we did Vander Blue!

Maybe you've forgotten but Vander finished that amazing play with his off hand. Not sure if Haanif has made a single basket with his right hand this season, let alone a basket of that magnitude.

I do think that, with work, the junior Haanif will be better than the junior Vander was.

And then I hope the junior Haanif gets better advice than the junior Vander did!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »
I like his game a lot. He will grow as a player if he learns to pass the ball more. I am confident  he gets stronger and gains more skills like using a right or a pull up jumper over the summer. My best guess is his upside is something close to Denzell Valentine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:08:04 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
I've been trying to find a comparison for him all year, and have really struggled. Typically I can find a player (in the NBA) whose game resembles one of our players. But Haanif is a tough one to find.

Comparing left handed players is like comparing Black QB's. You always tend to limit yourself to those specific type of players. Jalen Rose was solid, but Jalen was a great distributor. And a few inches taller. Scottie Pippen was a terrible comparison in every aspect.

My comparison, is NOT meant to be in terms of talent level or ceiling. It's just simply a comparison of playing styles, or similar traits.

Manu Ginobli
- Slow release on three
- Great finisher around the rim
- 6-5, slight build
- Lefty, obviously. Never developed a right hand.
- Propensity for mind-numbing mistakes

Again - not comparing talent levels or celing. Just saying he has some Manu in his game.. Digging deep on this one, I know.

Ceiling is always tough to judge, since you can't tell what type of work ethic/heart the kid has.

Nevertheless - love the potential of this kid. He's been my favorite player to watch all season.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:20 PM »
I'm feeling the Manu comparison for multiple reasons

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »
I think Haanif is a 4 year player. He does not have elite athleticism that a Sumner has. Assuming Rowsey is good enough to start next year, I think Haanif plays the three. I think he will be our first 2000 point scorer. However, he has to have a more productive year than Wilson is having as a sophomore. 350/450/550/650=2000. Wilson had 378 as a freshmen and 303 so far this year. Haanif at 286 with at least 7 games to go.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 07:37:49 PM »
I've been trying to find a comparison for him all year, and have really struggled. Typically I can find a player (in the NBA) whose game resembles one of our players. But Haanif is a tough one to find.

Comparing left handed players is like comparing Black QB's. You always tend to limit yourself to those specific type of players. Jalen Rose was solid, but Jalen was a great distributor. And a few inches taller. Scottie Pippen was a terrible comparison in every aspect.

My comparison, is NOT meant to be in terms of talent level or ceiling. It's just simply a comparison of playing styles, or similar traits.

Manu Ginobli
- Slow release on three
- Great finisher around the rim
- 6-5, slight build
- Lefty, obviously. Never developed a right hand.
- Propensity for mind-numbing mistakes

Again - not comparing talent levels or celing. Just saying he has some Manu in his game.. Digging deep on this one, I know.

Ceiling is always tough to judge, since you can't tell what type of work ethic/heart the kid has.

Nevertheless - love the potential of this kid. He's been my favorite player to watch all season.

Manu works for me. Nicely done.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
John Cliff

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:20 PM »
It's too bad Haanif will experience his ceiling at Iowa State or Liberty, where he'll be heading after he's sick of Wojo's mind games.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
It's too bad Haanif will experience his ceiling at Iowa State or Liberty, where he'll be heading after he's sick of Wojo's mind games.
Just in case you were serious, I do not think Wojo plays mind games with Haanif.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
Third team All American.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
Just in case you were serious, I do not think Wojo plays mind games with Haanif.

You aren't keeping up.   MU82 is all about the sarcasm.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
You aren't keeping up.   MU82 is all about the sarcasm.
I really do not pay attention to who said what, so you are right I am not keeping up.

feedback