[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is the ceiling for Haanif?  (Read 9346 times)

tower912

• All American
What is the ceiling for Haanif?
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »
He has size, a decent jump shot, a tremendous ability to get to the rim, makes free throws, plays decent defense.    He is playing somewhat out of position as a 1 this year.    Where do you see him as a senior?

I think he challenges Jerel for the MU scoring record.    If he works on his right hand and a pull up floater, a la Vander during his final season, he is going to be deadly.    He needs to get stronger, and he needs to see his teammates better once he starts his drive.   I think he will continue to get minutes at the 1, but I suspect he will get more time on the wing.    Also, like Sandy, his release on his jumper needs to be quicker.    If he masters the whole come-off-a-pick-catch-and-shoot thing as well as a pull up jumper sooner rather than later, he may not make it to his senior year.   So far, he is the steal of Wojo's first recruiting class.     Could not be happier with what he has done and am salivating at what he may be capable of.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: What is the ceiling for Haanif?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
Haanif to NBA after this season

I could see it after next year or junior season. Kid can play

Shark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:27 PM »
Haanif to NBA after this season

I could see it after next year or junior season. Kid can play

Agreed. Think a lot of this "when he's a senior" talk is a bit wishful thinking.

Granted, that requires him to continue improving.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:17:30 PM »
Love, love, love Haanif. He's going to be a star.

As far as his release, yes, it's a little slow, but with the ability to drive, it's going to be hard for defenders to exploit that when they have to play off him.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
Agreed. Think a lot of this "when he's a senior" talk is a bit wishful thinking.

Granted, that requires him to continue improving.
Heard he's a lottery pick for 2019. Can we please just accept he's gone after his junior year.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
He has size, a decent jump shot, a tremendous ability to get to the rim, makes free throws, plays decent defense.    He is playing somewhat out of position as a 1 this year.    Where do you see him as a senior?

I think he challenges Jerel for the MU scoring record.    If he works on his right hand and a pull up floater, a la Vander during his final season, he is going to be deadly.    He needs to get stronger, and he needs to see his teammates better once he starts his drive.   I think he will continue to get minutes at the 1, but I suspect he will get more time on the wing.    Also, like Sandy, his release on his jumper needs to be quicker.    If he masters the whole come-off-a-pick-catch-and-shoot thing as well as a pull up jumper sooner rather than later, he may not make it to his senior year.   So far, he is the steal of Wojo's first recruiting class.     Could not be happier with what he has done and am salivating at what he may be capable of.
Agreed that he will challenge Jerel.  He has the tools. Seems coachable.  Wojo will have him ready.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
I'm not sure I remember anyone as good as Haanif at finishing the under the basket, reverse layups.  Seems he gets at least 6-8 points every game from that.  And many of them, I think to myself that there is no way he can make it, yet he does.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »
That reverse either at the end of regulation or in OT against Providence was touched by divinity.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
If he develops a consistent 3 point shot then the sky's the limit. NBA Wes comparison.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
Heard he's a lottery pick for 2019. Can we please just accept he's gone after his junior year.

Not saying it's a lock. But he isn't getting enough credit for his play imo. The guy is an absolute stud already.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:45 PM »
LOVE Haanif's game - the sky is the limit.

In most seasons, he would be the runaway highlight of our recruiting class.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
I'm not sure I remember anyone as good as Haanif at finishing the under the basket, reverse layups.  Seems he gets at least 6-8 points every game from that.  And many of them, I think to myself that there is no way he can make it, yet he does.

This is so spot on. He finishes like a seasoned veteran. Seriously amazing finishing ability

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »
Give him the ball with 9 seconds left and let him drive to the basket just like we did Vander Blue!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
I anticipate steady, impressive development for all four years at MU. I don't see him leaving early, as I don't see that he'll stand out enough physically or skills-wise to justify entering the draft early. Hence, I think Jerel's record could fall, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a solid, even spectacular, NBA career.

If I have to give a name to a ceiling, might I say Scottie Pippen? That sure would be something if he has the same career as Pippen.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 12:45:32 PM »
Reminds me of Jalen Rose.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »
I'll be the wet blanket to pump the brakes a bit. Cheatham has talent, but a loose handle and no right hand. What he's doing, he's doing as the fourth option in the offense. No way to know if he can keep this up as he becomes more of the focus.

He has a long way to go before he deserves comparisons to McNeal or talk as an All American next year. A year ago, Duane was the heir apparent to the scoring title, now that's not such a sure thing. I'll wait to see how Cheatham does in a year or two before declaring him as the second coming.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
I'll be the wet blanket to pump the brakes a bit. Cheatham has talent, but a loose handle and no right hand. What he's doing, he's doing as the fourth option in the offense. No way to know if he can keep this up as he becomes more of the focus.

He has a long way to go before he deserves comparisons to McNeal or talk as an All American next year. A year ago, Duane was the heir apparent to the scoring title, now that's not such a sure thing. I'll wait to see how Cheatham does in a year or two before declaring him as the second coming.

This is all fair.   To be more specific, we have seen Haanif stopped by teams that ran at his left hand when he set up to shoot and then sent shotblockers to meet him at the rim, knowing that once he put the ball on the floor he was committed.    And his future growth will depend on him expanding his game.     Still optimistic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 12:51:59 PM »

That's a fair counter to the trend of the thread. Then again, the question is "what is the ceiling?" as in the maximum. He has shown talent, potential and progress over the course of the season and so talking heads talk.

Fun to dream, but you remind us that reality may be different. Again, fair point.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »

Disagree, I think the sky is the limit with Haanif and I said so early. I called on twitter during the Belmont game that Haanif would be remembered more by MU faithful than Henry when it's all said and done.

He has some limits now but nothing that can't be updated or coached into him. You are right he has a tendency to over use his left and his shot is slow, but with all the scouting on this he still gets to the rim with regularity.

Barring injury or tragedy I think he's a first round draft pick at the end of his MU career
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »

Based on our preseason expectations, yes, Duane has struggled a bit.  Still, he's a lot closer to Jerel than you may think.  Jerel finished his Sophomore season with 769 points.  Duane currently has 683, but if he hits his season average of about 12 ppg for the last six regular season games and one game in the BET, he would have 767 points.  And while you might mention that Jerel was injured at the end of his Sophomore season, he still had played 60 games.  If we get only one game into the BET with the numbers above, Duane would have 62.

Like I said, awfully close.

connie

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
He certainly has "the look."  Ceiling could be very high.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
Haanif looks like a Dukie to me, and I mean that in a good way.  He looks like he would totally fit in playing for Coach K.

Other the Henry (of course) he appears to me to have the best chance of having an NBA career.  As a Freshman he is already fearless and wants the ball in crunch time.  Others have accurately pointed out some weaknesses in his present game, but I think he is also driven to improve.  And, kid hates to lose.  Quickly becoming my favorite player.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »
Haanif is already on Draft Express top freshman list. Only 10 spots behind Sumner who Wojo said could be a lottery pick this year.

Can't wait to see what Cheatham looks like next year

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
Based on our preseason expectations, yes, Duane has struggled a bit.  Still, he's a lot closer to Jerel than you may think.  Jerel finished his Sophomore season with 769 points.  Duane currently has 683, but if he hits his season average of about 12 ppg for the last six regular season games and one game in the BET, he would have 767 points.  And while you might mention that Jerel was injured at the end of his Sophomore season, he still had played 60 games.  If we get only one game into the BET with the numbers above, Duane would have 62.

Like I said, awfully close.

And that's not counting a potential NIT run or a couple of extra BET games

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »
I'll say he finishes as Marquette's all-time leading scorer.  NBA after 4 years.

feedback