[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Zog from Margo
[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Creighton  (Read 4435 times)

Hubert Davis

• Starter
Creighton
« on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
Last night was a huge win for the program. Wojo, staff and squad needed that badly. Let’s build off this win and ride that momentum into Saturday.

Side note: I don’t want to make a huge deal about the PATHETIC student section after a nice win, but that was a PATHETIC showing. Saturday better be different.

BEAT CREIGHTON

Just win baby.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Creighton
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:55 AM »
Creighton is a tough matchup for us. We can win but it will take a good performance.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
Saturday night game. I want a wild-ass drunken crowd greeting the Jays.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »
Last night was a huge win for the program. Wojo, staff and squad needed that badly. Let’s build off this win and ride that momentum into Saturday.

Side note: I don’t want to make a huge deal about the PATHETIC student section after a nice win, but that was a PATHETIC showing. Saturday better be different.

BEAT CREIGHTON

Just win baby.

Not good for sure.  Alumni arrived very late but showed up reasonably well.  Saturday will be one of the better crowds of the year.  Winning solves all.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »
I'll be there. Let's hope our lads can build off the win last night and knock off another quality opponent. Don't let Watson repeat his performance against X.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
Six teams range between 5-7 and 7-5.   Losing to any of those six teams down the stretch will essentially end any MU tournament hopes.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
Its PATHETIC because majority of student wants to watch a team that has been successful consistently, and not watch a team that loses to DePaul, Belmont etc etc. Get off your high horse and be realistic. MUBB is an entertainment product, not a religious event. People watch the games to be entertained and dont have to be obligated to attend if the product just isnt that exciting on a consistent basis.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
Its PATHETIC because majority of student wants to watch a team that has been successful consistently, and not watch a team that loses to DePaul, Belmont etc etc. Get off your high horse and be realistic. MUBB is an entertainment product, not a religious event. People watch the games to be entertained and dont have to be obligated to attend if the product just isnt that exciting on a consistent basis.

This is where you are so, so, so wrong.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 01:41:27 PM »

It was a bad showing.  Simple as that.  This is a young team.  But one that is talented and improving.  Hopefully Saturday's match up fills at least half of the lower bowl in the student section. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »

Yes and no.    I recognize that times change and you kids need to get off my lawn and all of that crap, but I was there 84-88, two years of Majerus and two years of Dukiet, and was at every game that was played on campus while school was in.    The exhibitions against the Chinese national team.    Watching Rod Strickland laugh at Anthony Candelino trying to guard him.   David Rivers.    Dolan tip in.   Missed Copa dunk landing in press row at mid-court. Rod Grosse jumping center and coming out at the first dead ball, never to be seen again.    Being so bad we were worried about beating Fordham and Niagara.   Student section all 4 years.    Wearing god-awful MU boxer shorts and goofy-assed sunglasses so the folks back home watching on WGN could see their hard-earned money being put to good use. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
Marquette basketball is exciting.  Just tune in a rodent game to watch slow ball and you will see the difference.  Marquette is oozing with talent and energy.  Students should get out to support your team.  Just remember that they will be your team for life.  Ring out a boys MU rah rah!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
I sure don't get the lack of attendance from the students. Most of my closer buddies at MU were like that...never really cared much for the games, would maybe show up mid first half and leave with 8 mins left. Cared more about which bar was the spot after.  I never understood it, but the student sections in general were always pretty good (2008/9-2011/2). Even the games I couldn't get to over break, I never had an issue finding someone to take them. But MU was pretty damn good during that time frame...if we get back to making the NCAAs every year, the students will come.

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
Six teams range between 5-7 and 7-5.   Losing to any of those six teams down the stretch will essentially end any MU tournament hopes.

To make the NCAA, MU needs to go 5-1 down the stretch. We can afford a loss to Nova, nothing more.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
To make the NCAA, MU needs to go 5-1 down the stretch. We can afford a loss to Nova, nothing more.

Honestly. If we're banking on 10-8 working.

I think we need the Nova win.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »
MU hoops is not a religious event???

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 03:06:28 PM »
I will attempt to fill the Depaul Student Section with at least one person (me) at next Saturday's game. We'll show them a student section!
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:16:30 PM »
I sure don't get the lack of attendance from the students. Most of my closer buddies at MU were like that...never really cared much for the games, would maybe show up mid first half and leave with 8 mins left. Cared more about which bar was the spot after.  I never understood it, but the student sections in general were always pretty good (2008/9-2011/2). Even the games I couldn't get to over break, I never had an issue finding someone to take them. But MU was pretty damn good during that time frame...if we get back to making the NCAAs every year, the students will come.

+1

Kids today have grown up in a world where everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy... incidentally, this was to remove the winning/losing aspect and make things more fun.  The flip side to that is now - as spectators - when they watch a competitive sport (where there is a winner and a loser), they not only find losing to not be fun, some kids simply cannot deal with supporting a losing team on an emotional level and therefore, they are turned away from being a fan at all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
+1

Kids today have grown up in a world where everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy... incidentally, this was to remove the winning/losing aspect and make things more fun.  The flip side to that is now - as spectators - when they watch a competitive sport (where there is a winner and a loser), they not only find losing to not be fun, some kids simply cannot deal with supporting a losing team on an emotional level and therefore, they are turned away from being a fan at all.

Is the explanation the same for the remaining 3/4ths of the arena that is sparsely populated?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
+1

I think you're reading a little too deeply into this. It is far more simple. The team isn't great and students would rather do other stuff. I would still rather go to the game, but it doesn't mean they have a character flaw.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
I think you're reading a little too deeply into this. It is far more simple. The team isn't great and students would rather do other stuff. I would still rather go to the game, but it doesn't mean they have a character flaw.

Exactly.  Students don't have some sort of moral imperative to support Marquette basketball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
Is the explanation the same for the remaining 3/4ths of the arena that is sparsely populated?

The distinction there is that most of those tickets were never sold.  Of course, I assume that MU has sold most, if not all, of the student tickets.

I'm not saying anyone has a character flaw.  Perhaps those of us who are more focused on the camaraderie and pre/post game rather than the outcome of the game (or name of the opponent) are the ones who are flawed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:00 PM »
Exactly.  Students don't have some sort of moral imperative to support Marquette basketball.

Moral imperative?!?  Some people don't like losing and would rather not be a part of something as a result.  So what?  Some people don't like potatoes so they don't eat french fries.  Some people don't like dogs so they buy a cat.  To each their own.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
Moral imperative?!?  Some people don't like losing and would rather not be a part of something as a result.  So what?  Some people don't like potatoes so they don't eat french fries.  Some people don't like dogs so they buy a cat.  To each their own.

I don't really care and I'm not going to argue this any further...but you framed this in a context of kids not attending MU basketball because they had some sort of emotional deficiency. I just don't think that's the case.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
I will attempt to fill the Depaul Student Section with at least one person (me) at next Saturday's game. We'll show them a student section!

Make sure you have a student section ticket or they will banish you back to your cheap seats upstairs.  A couple years back my brother and I got tickets from a high school friend of his at DePaul.  The Asst AD came up to us, checked our tickets, and then upgraded us to 3 rows behind the MU bench so their students wouldn't look bad on tv.  Another bunch of MU fans snuck into the student section and weren't so lucky

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 05:41:25 PM »
Make sure you have a student section ticket or they will banish you back to your cheap seats upstairs.  A couple years back my brother and I got tickets from a high school friend of his at DePaul.  The Asst AD came up to us, checked our tickets, and then upgraded us to 3 rows behind the MU bench so their students wouldn't look bad on tv.  Another bunch of MU fans snuck into the student section and weren't so lucky

Something tells me upgrading your seats wouldn't improve the looks of their students ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback