[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

Where is Marquette? by rocky_warrior
[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Friar musings  (Read 15214 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Friar musings
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2016, 11:37:21 PM »
But please explain to me how we could leave the only player on Providence who could hurt us (after Dunn fouled out) wide open time after time after time after time even though he was limping around the court on a bum ankle.

Wojo talked about this in the post-game. Sounds like he and the coaching staff continually stressed the importance of not losing Bentil on the court. Generally, Marquette's perimeter defense has been good this year.

But Bentil is a great offensive player. And he got unbelievably hot from long range. I mean unbelievable — he came into tonight's game having made just 22 of 77 threes (28.6%), and tonight he went 6 of 13. Sometimes you just have the hot hand. I'd still rather go home with the win.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:04 PM »
Watch the entire Kansas game from a few years before that......

The most shameful night in the long, otherwise storied history of Marquette hoops. A team loaded with NBA talent was humiliated on the game's biggest stage. Frankly, good men were left behind from a profound lack of leadership.

Death on call

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:20 PM »
You guys are unbearable. Good win tonight against a solid/good team and you're bitching about former coaches.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »

If it was up to me, I would have gone back to man up two possessions late (in both OTs), and faceguarded Bentil.

Bingo! Pay the man, Shirley.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »
The most shameful night in the long, otherwise storied history of Marquette hoops.

That game was a crusher. No question about it. But it didn't diminish my enjoyment of witnessing Wade's spectacular play for two seasons, or the amazing run to the Final Four. I've been over the Kansas loss for a long time now. If anything, I hold onto the hope of finding another shooter even close to as good as Novak.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
The most shameful night in the long, otherwise storied history of Marquette hoops. A team loaded with NBA talent was humiliated on the game's biggest stage. Frankly, good men were left behind from a profound lack of leadership.

LOL.  Yup, had leadership 7 days earlier against #1 Kentucky, two days earlier than that against #5 Pittsburgh, so on and so forth, but didn't have leadership all of a sudden.

I suppose shooting 31% for the game probably didn't help either. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »
You guys are unbearable. Good win tonight against a solid/good team and you're bitching about former coaches.

That was something...5 NBA guys on that team, 4 starters

3:17 mark.....goodness...coming off a made free throw, too. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YVc299gZliQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YVc299gZliQ</a>

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2016, 01:10:22 AM »
Just finally watching the full game now.

As usual JJJ should have had at least 1 more assist if Duane could competently make a lay up. God it seems he biffs a lot of those.

And the miss lead to a JJ foul.

Need Duane to limit the head scratchers

Deeper in first half. Henry not paying attention on a JJ dump off. Smh.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:22:48 AM by HaywardsHeroes32 »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2016, 02:27:59 AM »
Go take a look at the Providence scout board. There's a game thread that's something to behold. Some of them hate Cooley just as much as some people here hate Wojo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:32 AM »
Tower, wondering why these were musings instead of thoughts. I'm a thoughts fan.

Under point #5, that's a weird lineup. Can't handle Sandy X 2.

Can't comment on much, work screwed me and I only saw the last 4 minutes of double OT.
End of game management appears to continue to be a problem. Youth and inexperience as to players and coaches continue to make things interesting.

I was bored.   Should have gone with Providence Ponderings.    Brewcity does it better, anyway. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2016, 05:45:14 AM »
15. We need some coaching put into them. How in the world do they not realize to not shoot? This is the 4th(?) time this season this has happened.
16. I'm seriously debating not watching another game this season, its so ugly

yeah, didn't ya hear during that last time out with the huddle mic'd up

wojo: ok, if we get the ball back without them scoring with 30 seconds or so, take it to the hole, go for the gusto man, live large baby or go home, who wants to be the man?  whoever goes yard for us, i'll have the louisville ladies waiting for you in the locker room...

i get the frustration, the highs and the lows, but that's part of the deal.  everyone would love a mistake-free game, no missed calls, we make 75% of our shots, no injuries and the guy get's the girl every time, but...

reminds me of that commercial where the 4-some of guys are golfing-one of them is bitchin and cussin and hackin his way thru 18.  they all cram back into his ford pinto or something and this dude is just exhausted emotionally, ready to throw his clubs in the water and one of the playing partners goes-same time tomorrow?  and the messed up dude goes yup and they drive off.  that is soooo true of the things we,  deep down, have a passion for...da warriors by 20 
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:32 AM »
We saw flashes of what these guys can be.    And then we saw the glaring reminder that they are soooooooo inexperienced.     BTW, am I the only one who thinks Heldt looks like one of the kids from 'Hoosiers?'    Finally, judging from the attendance, it appears that the MU fanbase has many devout Catholics who chose their Ash Wednesday obligations over going to a basketball game.    Good for them. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:00:08 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 07:21:50 AM »
Go take a look at the Providence scout board. There's a game thread that's something to behold. Some of them hate Cooley just as much as some people here hate Woo.
Their next three games Are Georgtown, at Xavier and at Seton hall and they are likely to lose all three. I suspect Bentil, having played so many minutes against MU, will be hobbling against Georgetown. They do finish up with DePual, Creighton and @ St. John's. However, they are the only team with three losses against MU and DePaul. They were lucky to beat Creighton on a last second shot after Creighton shot 25% for the game, which was basically Creighton's worst game of the year.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
15. We need some coaching put into them. How in the world do they not realize to not shoot? This is the 4th(?) time this season this has happened.
16. I'm seriously debating not watching another game this season, its so ugly

That's not coaching.  It's on the players there. These guys didn't just learn game situations for the first time in their lives.   I remember DJO doing this 4 or 5 different times and just wondering how he could continue to do it. I sure didn't blame Buzz.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:42 AM »
17. We actually won the turnover battle!
18. Bentil, damn. Wow
Bentil is BE POY.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Henry has the talent and Big body, but, he needs coaching and discipline.  He takes too many fast long shots that don't go in and makes too many turnovers.  Why would he foul a three point shot? The game was over if he didn't make that foul.  He is so much more effective when he plAys within 15 feet from the basket.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
"He's become a guy that we can depend on ... and he's becoming a leader on our team," Wojciechowski said about the junior.

The long awaited for time has arrived!  JJ has gained consistency.  Who expected that quote to be said of him anytime before the past month?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2016, 08:06:19 AM »
Rebounding was impressive last night.  After having only 2 offensive boards against Provi last time out, we got 19 last night and beat them on the boards.  Wojo and staff must have been drilling it into them to crash the boards because they've been doing a lot better in the rebounding department lately.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
About 70% of the people on this board are acting like we just lost a game to UWGB.  This is (another) good win.  Bunch of grumpy sweater vests around here lately.

I couldn't agree more wades.  I didn't look at scoop until this morning because of the drive and late hour.  (Thank God that wasn't an 8p tip!)  It's like we freakin' lost around here.  Did we make some mistakes and bonehead plays?  Yep.  Did we get hosed by the refs? Yep.  Did we play like Warriors and win anyway? Yep.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:43 AM »
Yes, over the last few games, JJJ has finally started to bring it consistently.    Still making some bonehead moves on defense, but offensively he is making good decisions almost every time now.   Kudos to the kid for sticking it out and working to get better.   

tower912

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
I couldn't agree more wades.  I didn't look at scoop until this morning because of the drive and late hour.  (Thank God that wasn't an 8p tip!)  It's like we freakin' lost around here.  Did we make some mistakes and bonehead plays?  Yep.  Did we get hosed by the refs? Yep.  Did we play like Warriors and win anyway? Yep.

I think it is amplified by how much people are talking/refuting the 'meh' crowds posts. 

It is what it is -- we need to fight for an NIT bid -- let's keep getting better and get one -- then make some noise there. 

However, I think we can all agree that success for this season is far from where we need and expect to be.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
About 70% of the people on this board are acting like we just lost a game to UWGB.  This is (another) good win.  Bunch of grumpy sweater vests around here lately.

Bingo.  I wasn't able to see the game and all I get here is negativity.

Marquette just beat a ranked opponent.  Swept them in fact.  And all I read about is what players suck and that our coaching sucks.  Even tower's first comment was about who played bad.

Maybe winter is just making people grumpy or something.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:52 AM »
No kidding.  Sandy seemed to be all over the place!  ;D

Dammit.   I just caught that.   One of the disadvantages of typing on a phone.     My apologies to JJ. 

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
Awful decision making down the stretch by both our players and the refs. We won this one based on greater depth, providence was completely worn out.

despite some bad defensive decisions jjj has been outstanding again. has a more intense look about him. hopefully stays on this progression, could be our best player next year.

henry is unbelievable in the mid-range game. I don't know why he spends so much time on the perimeter. Still shoots too many 3's and they are complete bricks, not even close.

Cheatham made some outstanding finishes on drives, but almost killed us with poor decision making. Story of his freshman season.

Traci was solid down the stretch.

Sandy wasn't good, although he did have one nice finish on a fast break in overtime I believe