Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: State of the program now...  (Read 18364 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: State of the program now...
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »
Marquette does NOT accept CBI bids. At least I'm proud of them for that. Also, anyone happy with the NIT this year is a loser.

Then paint me a loser. Or maybe paint me a realist. Because unless we win four games at MSG, we are not going to the NCAAs. That's not chicken little, woe-is-me, reactionary talk, that's cold, hard, reality. Sorry, I just don't see 24-11 (9-9) with a 64 RPI and 72 SOS being enough, and that's what we're looking at if we win out and beat DePaul, Villanova, and Seton Hall before losing to Xavier.

But at the end of the day, I still love Marquette basketball. I want to see more Marquette basketball. I would rather go to the NIT, or Las Vegas Invitational, or CBI, or the freaking Derek Zoolander Tournament for Teams Who Don't Play Real Good Enough And Other Stuff Tournament if it extends the season because I enjoy cheering for this team and enjoy watching my guys play. I'd rather watch us in a lesser tournament and have something to cheer for than have the season end. Anything that lessens the time between the official end of the Marquette season and November 11th is a good thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
Then paint me a loser. Or maybe paint me a realist. Because unless we win four games at MSG, we are not going to the NCAAs. That's not chicken little, woe-is-me, reactionary talk, that's cold, hard, reality. Sorry, I just don't see 24-11 (9-9) with a 64 RPI and 72 SOS being enough, and that's what we're looking at if we win out and beat DePaul, Villanova, and Seton Hall before losing to Xavier.

But at the end of the day, I still love Marquette basketball. I want to see more Marquette basketball. I would rather go to the NIT, or Las Vegas Invitational, or CBI, or the freaking Derek Zoolander Tournament for Teams Who Don't Play Real Good Enough And Other Stuff Tournament if it extends the season because I enjoy cheering for this team and enjoy watching my guys play. I'd rather watch us in a lesser tournament and have something to cheer for than have the season end. Anything that lessens the time between the official end of the Marquette season and November 11th is a good thing.

Amen brother. That, and postseason experience is never a bad thing. We saved money on our buy games this year, why not spend it on the CBI?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »
I would rather go to the NIT, or Las Vegas Invitational, or CBI, or the freaking Derek Zoolander Tournament for Teams Who Don't Play Real Good Enough And Other Stuff Tournament

Say no more. I'm in

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:38 AM »
Amen brother. That, and postseason experience is never a bad thing. We saved money on our buy games this year, why not spend it on the CBI?

The trip to Italy was supposed to strengthen the team and help us come out of the gate strong. Playing a couple of mediocre teams in a meaningless tournament is supposed to help us be better next year.

Signing Markus Howard would make us better next year. Hiring an experienced, competent bench coach to help Wojo manage games would make us better next year. This other stuff? Meh.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
The trip to Italy was supposed to strengthen the team and help us come out of the gate strong. Playing a couple of mediocre teams in a meaningless tournament is supposed to help us be better next year.

Signing Markus Howard would make us better next year. Hiring an experienced, competent bench coach to help Wojo manage games would make us better next year. This other stuff? Meh.

Frankly, I don't care if it helps next year. But a longer season is always a win in my book.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

I think the Italy trip did help us come out of the gate strong. I think we would have been worse without it. We just aren't very good.

Playing in the CBI might help us or it might not. But I think there is very little chance it hurts us. Why not play a few more games?

Plus, what Brew said.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
Frankly, I don't care if it helps next year. But a longer season is always a win in my book.

I don't know about "always".  This year, I would like to see the lads play a few more games.  Two years ago, I was happy to see the season end. 

So I guess that is progress :)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
I don't know about "always".  This year, I would like to see the lads play a few more games.  Two years ago, I was happy to see the season end. 

17-15 team may not of won a game in any tournament, but I wanted to keep our streak of 20 game win seasons going. That team certainly had the talent to win three more games in one of the unknown tournaments. UNC a few years ago was 16-16 when they accepted an NIT bid and ended up winning 20 games. To me there is value in saying you won 20 games several years in a row or gone to at least some tournament several years in a row. You always want to go to NCAA, but it is hard to go there year after year. Maybe a CBI bid ends up with another frustrating loss or maybe it is the start of a new 20 game win season streak. I would never turn down a bid to any tournament.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Yessir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2016, 05:33:37 PM »

I'd stick with always. I would have loved a few more games of Gardner and Jamil. I would've even watched the CBI for more Carlino, Derrick, and Juan. If people want to tune out for a lesser tournament, that's their prerogative, but college careers are short enough as is. I'll always take a few game extension and more Marquette basketball. Always.

feedback