[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: State of the program now...  (Read 18358 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Re: State of the program now...
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2016, 02:43:35 PM »
If Henry looks like a sure-fire top-10 pick, I hope he doesn't. Part of a coach's job is to prepare these young men for their future. Yes, education is great and all, but if Henry's best career option is to go to the NBA, I sincerely hope Wojo doesn't try to hold him back from that. Not taking anything away from all of those lures, but if NCAA glory, playing with his brother, and collegiate accolades are what Henry wants, that should be his decision and his family's. If he looks like a lottery player, Wojo should push him in that direction. All it takes is one bad step to lose that dream forever.

Henry is a sure fire top 10 pick that is really not ready for the NBA.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and will make the appropriate choice for him but he has a long way to go before he is a productive NBA player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »
Henry is a sure fire top 10 pick that is really not ready for the NBA.  He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and will make the appropriate choice for him but he has a long way to go before he is a productive NBA player.

I don't think he has as much of a way to go as you think. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
I don't think he has as much of a way to go as you think.

He's stuck on a court, as a freshman, with 4 nobodies in the one of the top conferences in America and averaging a double double.  Imagine when he gets competent teammates next year.  Nearly every NBA player can knock down a 17 foot jumper if left alone.  Henry's not getting doubled every time down the court next season.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
He's stuck on a court, as a freshman, with 4 nobodies in the one of the top conferences in America and averaging a double double.  Imagine when he gets competent teammates next year.  Nearly every NBA player can knock down a 17 foot jumper if left alone.  Henry's not getting doubled every time down the court next season.

And he's really highly skilled offensively for a guy his size.  His range is going to increase as well.  He will have to be hidden defensively to start, but the guy is going to contribute because of his offense. 

When you look at one and dones, they almost always have holes in their games.  NBA coaches know how to hide those and fix them over time. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
He is a top five pick next year. In addition, he is more ready than most one and done guys. His upside in NBA is off the charts.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »
He is a top five pick next year. In addition, he is more ready than most one and done guys. His upside in NBA is off the charts.

I agree with all this except his upside being off the charts. I think Henry is a safe pick and will have a long, successful career, but to me, off the charts is reserved for perennial all-star, MVP candidates. The generational talent types. He's good, but not that good.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:30 PM »
Brew

Agreed. By off the charts I am talking about making $250m + in his career. He is going to very big checks for a decade and half or longer. Wish my upside was similar to his.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »
I would agree that's definitely possible. My mindset in that regard is Dwyane Wade, and as good as Henry is, he's no Dwyane Wade.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
State of Duane Wilson.... Another missed layup.  Jesus Christ

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
Seriously you make him sound like the second coming of Bob Pettit.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »
Seriously you make him sound like the second coming of Bob Pettit.

Bob Pettit?  Jesus can you find a better reference than a guy who last played an NBA game more than 50 years ago???

Goose

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »
Marquette Fan in NY

You probably are in the Carter being a future stud camp. I actually laugh my ass off reading praise for lower to mid level guys and the highest likely draft pick in MU history gets ripped.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
2 more wins and we have a winning season!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2016, 09:52:46 PM »
2 more wins and we have a winning season!

1 more. 16-10. Max 6 more losses. 16-16 is the worst we could finish.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2016, 10:06:29 PM »

Unless we accept a CBI bid at 16-16.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »

Which won't happen. Marquette does NOT accept CBI bids. I am proud of them for that at least.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »

Marquette does NOT accept CBI bids. At least I'm proud of them for that. Also, anyone happy with the NIT this year is a loser.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:42:00 PM by AirPunch »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
Marquette Fan in NY

You probably are in the Carter being a future stud camp. I actually laugh my ass off reading praise for lower to mid level guys and the highest likely draft pick in MU history gets ripped.
I am in the Carter is going to be ok camp.

I think Henry is a very good college player, and eventually will find his way into the NBA.  I agree that NBA drafts on promise and at some point he will be a high draft choice, once Henry gets into the  NBA  he will have to produce though. Too many holes in his game for him to be dominant at the next level. Henry is not close to the player Ty Hansbrough was in college and we saw how well Hansbrough has done at the next level. Guys like Adreian  Payne were first round picks played a few games in the league and then go to the D League.

This is not meant to rip Henry, rather just being realistic.

I would be ecstatic if his NBA career was a good as Don Kojis.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:09 PM »
Marquette does NOT accept CBI bids. At least I'm proud of them for that. Also, anyone happy with the NIT this year is a loser.

A loser?  Come on.  Those of you who thought this was a NCAA team with this youth and these point guards...LOL.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2016, 11:24:55 PM »

I will take this bet in a heartbeat.  He is not a top 5 pick.  If he is, wow is the NBA draft weak.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2016, 11:35:31 PM »
Very few people outside of the MU program will know if they won the CBI or lost the first game of the CBI. You go to the CBI to get your players experience in a tournament. MU's excuse this year is a lack of experience and to turn done a bid that gives them more experience would just be plain stupid.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2016, 11:39:19 PM »
I went and looked at NBA rookie stats. Through the all-star break there are only 6 rookies averaging double figures in scoring. There are another 17 rookies averaging between 5 and 10 points. The idea that Ellenson is not ready does not matter, because most rookies do not contribute much their first year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2016, 11:41:27 PM »
No because we could lose in the CBI tournament. So it is two wins to clinch a winning season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:59 PM »
I am in the Carter is going to be ok camp.

I think Henry is a very good college player, and eventually will find his way into the NBA.  I agree that NBA drafts on promise and at some point he will be a high draft choice, once Henry gets into the  NBA  he will have to produce though. Too many holes in his game for him to be dominant at the next level. Henry is not close to the player Ty Hansbrough was in college and we saw how well Hansbrough has done at the next level. Guys like Adreian  Payne were first round picks played a few games in the league and then go to the D League.

This is not meant to rip Henry, rather just being realistic.

I would be ecstatic if his NBA career was a good as Don Kojis.
You do realize that MU has never had a CBI bid to accept.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2016, 06:16:30 AM »
On a game by game basis, there are ups and downs.   But overall things are disappointing.  We have a McDonald's AA and we're a bubble NIT team.  It's a bummer.