[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: State of the program now...  (Read 18675 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: State of the program now...
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »
Optimistic. We won with 3 freshmen on the court for the bulk of both overtimes. The entire team seems to be developing (yes, there are exceptions at times) and buying into Wojo.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »
As far as state of the program, no different than it was four hours ago. We're a young, transitioning team. The jury will be out on how good the team and coach is until they collectively grow up. We have some nice wins and some inexplicable losses. Both fun and frustrating to watch.

This

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:31 PM »
I can't see Henry going pro.  He's a liability on defense (pointed out repeatedly by recent announcers), he's not showing the outside game as advertised, and he disappears an awful lot.  Wade had 3 years in college, Butler 4, etc.  Henry can be a top 5 pick, but if he waits 1 more year he'll have a lot more polish, play much more, contribute more, and have more fun. Plus he'll get another year of playing with Wally.

Let's put it this way. You get offered your dream job out of college. You could delay graduating, intern for another year and take that job after your fifth year. There would be no increase in pay and you will still lose a year in your promotion schedule (rookie scale). You are telling me you would stay back another year when basically every major recruiter is telling you will be fine if you go right away?

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
I dont get why people think Henry will stay. It would be stupid to stay. We gotta come to terms with that....

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 09:58:18 PM »
Henry goes without saying. But I think I'm most excited about Cheatham. How good is he going to be as a Senior? Whew.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

connie

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
As far as state of the program, no different than it was four hours ago. We're a young, transitioning team. The jury will be out on how good the team and coach is until they collectively grow up. We have some nice wins and some inexplicable losses. Both fun and frustrating to watch.
Strongly agree.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »
I can't see Henry going pro.  He's a liability on defense (pointed out repeatedly by recent announcers), he's not showing the outside game as advertised, and he disappears an awful lot.  Wade had 3 years in college, Butler 4, etc.  Henry can be a top 5 pick, but if he waits 1 more year he'll have a lot more polish, play much more, contribute more, and have more fun. Plus he'll get another year of playing with Wally.

Does he want to play/develop in the NBA? Does he want to risk injury in college? Does he want to get paid millions? Does he want the best year-round training, coaching? Does he want to have to balance time between work/school?

Truth is, very few people know Henry's answer to any of those questions.

However it's absolutely ignorant at this point to disbelieve that Henry WILL be a lottery pick if he declares after this season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 10:15:28 PM »
Remember when we lost to DePaul and weren't going to win another game this season?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 10:17:21 PM »
13, and what's most impressive is 7 of those were in the first half. We gave away the lead with first half turnovers, but only turned it over 6 times in the last 30 minutes.

I welcome any improvement over our season average of 15 a game, especially in a double-overtime contest.

What stood out to me was Traci. When he first came into the game, he committed 2 turnovers within 30 seconds and was pulled immediately. The rest of the game: 0. Probably 20+ minutes without a single turnover. Played a huge role in earning the win.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 10:30:11 PM »
I'd say the future is moderately well-lit.  Obviously, HE stays and the light brightens considerably.

We will better next season, even if Henry leaves
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 10:34:20 PM »
That Philly kid can play for me any day.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
That Philly kid can play for me any day.

Same. He's going to be real good.

Has a good handle so he's able to get around defenders and then he's always looking to dish off. Good player and he'll only get better.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:22 PM »
Wojo has proven to me he has a vision and a plan - if we execute it we will again reach the pinnacle

MU rahhhhhhhhh!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »
Same. He's going to be real good.

Has a good handle so he's able to get around defenders and then he's always looking to dish off. Good player and he'll only get better.

Once the game slows down for him, he'll be a very solid PG here. He was awesome down the stretch after a shaky first half. Showed some real toughness.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
My two cents (I've had a few glasses of wine, long day....long long day).....I caught only the last 5 minutes of regulation and both OTs.

From what I saw, we certainly pissed away more than a few opportunities, could have been choking dogs and peed down our leg....but we didn't.  But we didn't.  But...we....did...not.

Not sure what Hanif was doing there, but we've seen that in other years with other teams....guys get their minds lost in the game.  What made it ok for me...he knew very soon after that what he did was a huge mistake.  He didn't hang his head.

All in all, progress.  Nice win.  Yes, we are better than last year.  If Henry goes to the NBA, yes we will miss him next year.   Worry about that later.  Keep improving.  Keep learning.  Keep maturing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »
Remember when we lost to DePaul and weren't going to win another game this season?

I remember...I remember

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 11:07:21 PM »
Not sure what Hanif was doing there, but we've seen that in other years with other teams....guys get their minds lost in the game.  What made it ok for me...he knew very soon after that what he did was a huge mistake.  He didn't hang his head.

Wojo addressed this in his press conference. Obviously a mental lapse. But praised Haanif and the team for their toughness, maturity and decision-making. Specifically called out Jajuan for "making really good decisions" and said he's becoming a leader. Haanif has "no fear driving to the basket...can't go wrong when he's in attack mode." Felt good "with the ball in Traci's hands."

"Our guys have shown character...we've been in tough positions with our back up against the wall and come out swinging. They don't always know what to do on the court, but they have the desire. I have to put them in better positions."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 11:10:03 PM »
Not good compared to MU standards. This team without Ellenson next year will not be better.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
Not good compared to MU standards. This team without Ellenson next year will not be better.

Beating a top 20 team isn't good to mu standards? Hot damn we have some high standards!

We beat a good team people. Try to act like you enjoyed it
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:58 PM »
Wojo addressed this in his press conference. Obviously a mental lapse. But praised Haanif and the team for their toughness, maturity and decision-making. Specifically called out Jajuan for "making really good decisions" and said he's becoming a leader. Haanif has "no fear driving to the basket...can't go wrong when he's in attack mode." Felt good "with the ball in Traci's hands."

"Our guys have shown character...we've been in tough positions with our back up against the wall and come out swinging. They don't always know what to do on the court, but they have the desire. I have to put them in better positions."

Lots of cliches there, but lots of passion and positive vibes, too. I like how he held everybody accountable, including himself. I still have high hopes for our coach and our program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 11:22:19 PM »
Beating a top 20 team isn't good to mu standards? Hot damn we have some high standards!

We beat a good team people. Try to act like you enjoyed it
Providence will not finish the season ranked. They may not even be ranked next week. Besides that we are a bad match up for them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:24:02 PM by bilsu »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2016, 11:24:54 PM »
Wojo even joked, "We felt like we had to win the game 3 times. We're going to petition the Big East to see if we can get 3 wins for 1."

He's got a pretty dry sense of humor, but he does have one. I remember in a previous post-game press conference him talking about the team being "possessed" (think it was after the Stetson game, referring to the night-and-day difference between our play the two halves).

Think he believes in his team, and they believe in him and each other. Might be the most important thing young players need as they struggle to learn what success in the Big East is all about.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2016, 11:28:59 PM »
Providence will not finish the season ranked. They may not even be ranked next week. Besides that we are a bad match up for them.

If they beat us two times instead of us beating them, they'd be ranked.

Don't hold our victories against us!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:47 PM »

Bilsu, what happened to you man? I don't remember you being this much of a downer in past seasons. We beat a team that is ranked higher above us by every ranking system out there. That is cause for celebration not grumbling.
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:26 PM »
Hope someone else beats Nova in the big east tournament and we have a chance.