[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Providence Preview  (Read 2462 times)

mubbnation

• Walk-On
Providence Preview
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
Talked to Daniel James, Friars blogger, to preview tonight's game.

https://marquettenation.com/2016/02/10/providence-preview-five-fouls/

Enjoy!

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Re: Providence Preview
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:03 AM »
That was pretty entertaining.

Didn't get the hate on MKE, though. All northern cities suck this time of year. Come summer, this city is one of the better ones I've been to.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
That was pretty entertaining.

Didn't get the hate on MKE, though. All northern cities suck this time of year. Come summer, this city is one of the better ones I've been to.

It says he's been here for 5 months so he's probably a freshman and won't be exposed to the massive amount of festivals and summer awesomeness that is Milwaukee for another couple years, also hasn't gotten to really experience the breweries or bars. 

Of course Narragansett is better than Schlitz but how about Lakefront? MKE? Hell I'd take half the beers Miller brews over Narragansett.  Also Providence pizza? ew
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »

The kid is right - MKE is not a very interesting place. I am forever grateful for my time at Marquette but that doesn't mean I ever found Milwaukee a place I ever wanted to live. I celebrated several significant life events in Milwaukee and my kids have family there but that doesn't make it interesting as a city.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:14:04 PM »
The kid is right - MKE is not a very interesting place. I am forever grateful for my time at Marquette but that doesn't mean I ever found Milwaukee a place I ever wanted to live. I celebrated several significant life events in Milwaukee and my kids have family there but that doesn't make it interesting as a city.

Keefe I'm not sure how long it has been since you've been back there but it's actually pretty interesting now days. Heck it's changed tremendously since I've graduated. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
Keefe I'm not sure how long it has been since you've been back there but it's actually pretty interesting now days. Heck it's changed tremendously since I've graduated.

I agree. If I didn't detest winter and snow so much I could live here my whole life. Very good city in the summer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »

I should have caveated with the fact that return trips to MKE meant marathon sessions with in-laws... That likely colored my perspective!

My days at Marquette (and in Ann Arbor, for that matter) was when the Rust Belt was collapsing all around us. Detroit then was the 4th largest city in the nation but the unemployment rate was over 50% while Milwaukee was the 12th largest but with 30% joblessness.

Engineering grads from both Marquette and Michigan were no longer finding immediate employment in the traditional industries of the Upper Midwest which hired them as they walked off the stage.

It is difficult to invest in frills when the tax base of a community is getting sledge hammered. But I recall posting here about Milwaukee's struggles with plight, blight, and social upheaval. I guess Milwaukee, as a microcosm of the Midwest, is a great place if you are earning a living wage. 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
I agree. If I didn't detest winter and snow so much I could live here my whole life. Very good city in the summer.

Memory is a highly selective animal because Mother Nature wanted to give hope a chance to take root and flourish.

When we think of Milwaukee in the summer it is filled with images of Summerfest and tail gating. But Milwaukee in the summer has a lot of gray, gloomy rainy days in the 50's. And most sunny days are hot and muggy. Very, very muggy.

Milwaukee in winter is a nightmare. But, frankly, the summer climate is not all that great, either.

Death on call

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
Memory is a highly selective animal because Mother Nature wanted to give hope a chance to take root and flourish.

When we think of Milwaukee in the summer it is filled with images of Summerfest and tail gating. But Milwaukee in the summer has a lot of gray, gloomy rainy days in the 50's. And most sunny days are hot and muggy. Very, very muggy.

Milwaukee in winter is a nightmare. But, frankly, the summer climate is not all that great, either.

We haven't had many summer days in the 50s in the past few years. And by summer I'm talking June-August.

It's not on my list of top places to live by any means,  but it's pretty good for a northern city.

feedback