collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee Named Top 10 Place to visit in 2016  (Read 2301 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Milwaukee Named Top 10 Place to visit in 2016
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
I saw this article this morning.
Milwaukee Named Top 10 Place to visit in 2016 by Lonely Planet.
Glad it fits my 25 year reunion.

See here:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-us

Then here:
Milwaukee: brewing up a buzz
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/wisconsin/milwaukee/travel-tips-and-articles/milwaukee-brewing-up-a-buzz

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Milwaukee Named Top 10 Place to visit in 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »
Milwaukee is a neat town but Lonely Planet is one of the least reliable sources of travel insight. Nice photos but Milwaukee has a 12-month year and those pics were snapped inside a two-month window.

Death on call

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
So visit here in summer.  There are few travel destinations that don't have good seasons and bad ones to visit.  Summer is awesome here.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
So visit here in summer.  There are few travel destinations that don't have good seasons and bad ones to visit.  Summer is awesome here.

Agree. Rarely do you hear someone say I'd love to take a holiday to Miami in July.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:09 PM »
There are few travel destinations that don't have good seasons and bad ones to visit. 

Phuket? Lombok?

Death on call

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »
Few = nonzero

I just find the whole notion of going to Milwaukee for a vacation is numbingly uninspired. It is a very nice city but it isn't worth going to see as a destination. (I would say the same of Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, etc...)

There is a huge world of adventure out there; very few cities are on that list.

Death on call

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »

Then you should spend less of your short time on this earth working so that you have the time to tackle a longer list :)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:01 PM »
Then you should spend less of your short time on this earth working so that you have the time to tackle a longer list :)

One increasing trend I see in the PNW is that younger people are much less inclined to live to work and choose to work to live. People will work for a few years then take a sabbatical lasting a year or more to live out some adventure.

Our generation broke the social contract between employer and staff so millennials have grown up with a more realistic expectation of career loyalty. In many ways it is far healthier for the soul. 

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »
One increasing trend I see in the PNW is that younger people are much less inclined to live to work and choose to work to live. People will work for a few years then take a sabbatical lasting a year or more to live out some adventure.

Our generation broke the social contract between employer and staff so millennials have grown up with a more realistic expectation of career loyalty. In many ways it is far healthier for the soul.

Your not wrong. I graduated last year worked for the past year or so but on a whim am now applying to grad schools in London. Hopefully will be living across the pond for 2 years come August.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »

This is a real perceptive point and does not get discussed enough in society & business when people lament the 'challenge of the millennial in the workplace'. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »
I just find the whole notion of going to Milwaukee for a vacation is numbingly uninspired. It is a very nice city but it isn't worth going to see as a destination. (I would say the same of Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, etc...)

On this front, I have to distinguish between a "visit" and a vacation.  If by visit, one means a weekend, then there are lots of places -- including Milwaukee -- that I'd like to visit.  If we're talking about a vacation of a week or more, then...yeah, Milwaukee isn't going to make my cut.  Unfortunately, my finances aren't in a place where we can jet off for a weekend "visit" so those need to be within a couple of hours.

A perfect example of this for me was Pittsburgh.  My brother moved their a couple of years ago.  Although it's nearby and I'd been there a few times, I had never really seen it.  Last summer my daughters and I went and visited for a weekend and saw the city as tourists.  It was a great weekend.  I think most significant cities in the US have enough to offer for a nice weekend visit.  I think the number drops off precipitously if we're talking about a vacation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 03:48:19 PM »
Others on the list

Fargo
Flint
Muskegon
Oakland
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »

On this front, I have to distinguish between a "visit" and a vacation.  If by visit, one means a weekend, then there are lots of places -- including Milwaukee -- that I'd like to visit.  If we're talking about a vacation of a week or more, then...yeah, Milwaukee isn't going to make my cut.  Unfortunately, my finances aren't in a place where we can jet off for a weekend "visit" so those need to be within a couple of hours.

A perfect example of this for me was Pittsburgh.  My brother moved their a couple of years ago.  Although it's nearby and I'd been there a few times, I had never really seen it.  Last summer my daughters and I went and visited for a weekend and saw the city as tourists.  It was a great weekend.  I think most significant cities in the US have enough to offer for a nice weekend visit.  I think the number drops off precipitously if we're talking about a vacation.

Well said. Like Pittsburgh was for you Milwaukee was a place I have visited multiple times over the years because of family. And Milwaukee and Wisconsin has a lot going for it. (We actually bought a vacation home in northern WI but that was entirely my wife's doing. I was in my office in Jakarta when she called from Minneapolis to say that she was Fed Exing documents for me to sign...)

But one of my most dreaded rituals was having dinner at the home of one of my wife's brothers. I remember how she would inform me that we were going there for dinner followed by a glare which said, "Don't even..."

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:34 PM »
Others on the list

Fargo
Flint
Muskegon
Oakland

Idk, as long as Steph Curry and crew are doing their thing, id say Oakland is worth a visit. Oracle gets rocking

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »

Pittsburgh is very underrated.

The first time I went there on an extended work assignment, I was very surprised at how pretty it was.

They have done an amazing job rejuvenating downtown. The bridges are beautiful. I think the Pirates play in my favorite ballpark in all of the majors, and I've seen most; it offers great views of the city.

Went on to discover many interesting things to see, and some good eats, too.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
Idk, as long as Steph Curry and crew are doing their thing, id say Oakland is worth a visit. Oracle gets rocking

Oakland and surrounding cities (Berkeley, Emeryville) have outstanding restaurants and cultural spots.

Re: GSW, better go soon because they're moving to SF in a few years.
SS Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
Others on the list

Fargo
Flint
Muskegon
Oakland
Fargo is a pretty good place. Lots of people want to retire there in fact.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
Fargo is a pretty good place. Lots of people want to retire there in fact.

Seriously?  Who?  People from Grand Forks and parts of Saskatchewan?

feedback