'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Dayton  (Read 45538 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Dayton
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 11:53:59 AM »
^This guy knows what he is talking about.

Plus, Dayton sucks.
Well TAMU, if Dayton sucks at 19, what are we? We have not done too well the last 2.5 years, so do we blow?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
We slurp. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 12:08:34 PM »
I just don't see the BE schools wanting to add a school with a sketchy reputation.

Despite all of the campus wide sh|t-storms MU has endured over the past 4-5 years, Dayton's PR folks would probably trade places with ours in a millisecond.

Google:

"Dayton New Logo President Son"
"Dayton Dyshawn Pierre"
"Dayton Matt Kavanaugh"
"Dayton Devon Scott"
"Dayton Jalen Robinson"
"Dayton Sigma Chi"
"2013 Student Falls University Dayton"
"Dayton Trademark Ghetto"
"Dayton President Crowd Surfing Riot"
"WTF Dayton You Actually Rioted After Beating Providence in the Third Round SMH"
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 12:33:47 PM »
No one has yet addressed the elephant in the room, so I will.

When this league decides to expand, we need to do so for color diversity.

The Big East has proud traditions and a bright future, but until we address the diversity issue, we will always be a step behind. Seriously, every team but two use blue in their school colors. WTF is up with that?

Our short list needs to be Stanford, Colorado State, Tulane, Florida, Virginia Tech (no Buzz jokes, please; remember, we're not adding a coach, we're adding a jersey color), Miami (FL) and Evansville.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »
Let's get Rutgers back to recapture the NYC eyeballs. Anyone know what University of Mexico's Ken Pom is? #largemarkets
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2016, 01:13:11 PM »
I just don't get the fascination with expansion from the crowd here. Do people think if we expand it is automatic free money? In almost all expansion scenarios that don't set up the Big East for disaster 3 or 4 years down the road (i.e. bringing in football schools), revenue for each school goes down....not up.

We can wish that expansion meant more money, but the economics just don't work that way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
This again? Dear lord. The BE is one of the best three conferences in the country two years in a row, and some idiots are still calling it a mid major? Smh.

Yep. How many conferences have two of the top four teams in the country?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:41 PM »
I just don't get the fascination with expansion from the crowd here.

C'mon, bigger is always better. If something is growing, then it must be a positive. Seriously, that's the only rational.

You can (rightly) point out all the issues with expansion, but that is inconsequential to this crowd. Because somebody will always be saying, look at what "insert school here" is doing, the conference needs to add them.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
C'mon, bigger is always better. If something is growing, then it must be a positive. Seriously, that's the only rational.

You can (rightly) point out all the issues with expansion, but that is inconsequential to this crowd. Because somebody will always be saying, look at what "insert school here" is doing, the conference needs to add them.

So.....

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

The Big East has proud traditions and a bright future, but until we address the diversity issue, we will always be a step behind. Seriously, every team but two use blue in their school colors. WTF is up with that?

Our short list needs to be Stanford, Colorado State, Tulane, Florida, Virginia Tech (no Buzz jokes, please; remember, we're not adding a coach, we're adding a jersey color), Miami (FL) and Evansville.

This was pretty good.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
First, Cinci is not a poor school at all.

Memphis has generally been more of a commuter/regional school, especially when it was called Memphis State. Not the best reputation, has been making a pretty major efforts to improving its academic and research abilities for a while now. Not a perfect candidate, but I think its reputation is a bit of people thinking of it in the 70s/80s more. Its endowment is bigger than some BE schools already, and plus, didn't Louisville have a poor reputation for years as well?

I'd take them. This is basketball and their involvement would help in many sports. Plus you get the FedEx connection, another major market. I'd liekl to think you'd take them right away with Cincy/UConn if you could.

After Gonzaga, BYU, UConn, Cincy, Memphis there is not much worth to add immediately unless realignment caused something crazy to happen again.

Fair enough. You certainly sound like you know more about Cinci than I do..maybe it more of just a perception thing.  I do remember hearing that none of the football conferences wanted anything to do with Cincinnati since it wasn't a great school.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:49:26 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
Fair enough. You certainly sound like you know more about Cinci than I do..maybe it more of just a perception thing.  I do remember hearing that none of the football conferences wanted anything to do with Cincinnati since it wasn't a great school.

The ACC presidents were not happy (to say the least) that Lville was let into the ACC.  Their anger stemmed from Lville bringing down the rest of the conference academically.

I get the institutional fit argument.  I would rather have good academics rather than poor academics.  But only to a point.  As the two schools stand right now,  I would take Memphis over Holy Cross in a heartbeat, even if Memphis is the most commuter of all commuter schools.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2016, 03:08:32 PM »
NCAA tournament appearances would seem to be a better indicator, which Marquette is tied for 13th.
We are probably falling there too. I am not necessarily advocating for Dayton. One of the reasons I hate Badger fans is that they think they are better than everyone else. I am coming to realize that MU fans also look down on a lot of schools including Dayton and DePaul. We have trouble beating DePaul and probably would not beat Dayton.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »
The ACC presidents were not happy (to say the least) that Lville was let into the ACC.  Their anger stemmed from Lville bringing down the rest of the conference academically.

I get the institutional fit argument.  I would rather have good academics rather than poor academics.  But only to a point.  As the two schools stand right now,  I would take Memphis over Holy Cross in a heartbeat, even if Memphis is the most commuter of all commuter schools.

Eh, academics for conference affiliation only really matters to nerds and the Big 10. Academics can be part of the larger culture, but it's a component...culture is the bigger concern with conference affiliation. If there was a private, basketball school that fit in with the Big East that sucked academically but brought in a bunch of eyeballs like LA or NYC I'd consider expan......wait, we already have St Johns, my bad

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
Despite all of the campus wide sh|t-storms MU has endured over the past 4-5 years, Dayton's PR folks would probably trade places with ours in a millisecond.

Google:

"Dayton New Logo President Son"
"Dayton Dyshawn Pierre"
"Dayton Matt Kavanaugh"
"Dayton Devon Scott"
"Dayton Jalen Robinson"
"Dayton Sigma Chi"
"2013 Student Falls University Dayton"
"Dayton Trademark Ghetto"
"Dayton President Crowd Surfing Riot"
"WTF Dayton You Actually Rioted After Beating Providence in the Third Round SMH"

And don't forget "Dayton students taunt Christi Mack"

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/former-ud-great-target-of-foul-mouthed-fans-saturd/nWRZd/

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
The reason why I would not pick Dayton is that I like the idea of only having one team in a state. I would add based on states that are connected that we do not already have. St. Louis would connect Illinois and Nebraska. I would love to add Wichita St, but that probably is not realistic. Detroit would give us Michigan, but they have not been good for a long time. We did have great games with Detroit in the 1970's. UConn or a school from Virginia would also give us another state.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »

Right. I frankly don't give a rip about academics with respect to the BE - I want it to be the best basketball conference as feasibly possible. IMO, that'd be adding 2 of UCONN, Cinci or Gonzaga - private/public, academics, etc., be damned.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:19:59 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »

Same with the B1G and Nebraska.  The lost their AAU status shortly after joining which was a big deal to everyone not involved in football.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:05 PM »
The reason why I would not pick Dayton is that I like the idea of only having one team in a state. I would add based on states that are connected that we do not already have. St. Louis would connect Illinois and Nebraska. I would love to add Wichita St, but that probably is not realistic. Detroit would give us Michigan, but they have not been good for a long time. We did have great games with Detroit in the 1970's. UConn or a school from Virginia would also give us another state.

Eh, regional footprint doesn't really matter, don't care if we had a conference of all Wisconsin teams if it brought the maximum number of eyeballs.

We also have to look at sustained program success, not just where are they now. UConn(if they dropped football) fits the bill nicely but I don't see a second partner school unless we want to invent teleportation and bring Gonzaga on board.

Speaking of, the other component I left out in all this is the non-revenue sports...those have to fit as well in the Big East, Dayton has some pretty craptacular non-rev sports.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »

Yeah, I mean its not an AAAMMMAAZZZING school, but they have some pretty cool grad and research programs and are well respected enough. The B1G 10 and ACC just have historically held themselves up as a higher academic standard (whether its always true or not), so bringing in Louisville was a bit surprising...but its not like Va Tech or Maryland are amazing either....its just this perception they've created for themselves. Louisville also has historically had a similar negative academic  perception linger over them, even though most of it is out of date or incorrect now (similar to Memphis but farther along in reinventing their image).
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »
Same with the B1G and Nebraska.  The lost their AAU status shortly after joining which was a big deal to everyone not involved in football.

Everyone knows the N on the helmets is for Nowledge

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
End of the day, if we wanted Dayton, they'd be here already. That school would crawl on bare knees from Wright-Pat over broken glass all the way to Val Ackerman's NYC office to get into the league.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »

I mainly agree with this except we would obviously take Notre Dame even though that doubles up Indiana and Butler would have no ability to block that.  Schools in Virginia and NC scare me because of the amount of competing colleges market in those states. VCU competes against GMU, JSU, ODU, William & Mary, Richmond, Va Tech, UVA and even Georgetown a little, so the market add isn't that great. As someone from Kansas I strongly recommend a big no to Wichita St.

I think in this new environment, new schools are going to pop-up and replace what Butler, Creighton, and Xavier were able to do in their conferences and we should simply be very patient wait until one of those programs reaches those heights to add. I want to add the next Xavier. Maybe that happens to be Dayton in the New A10. Maybe SLU finally puts it together. There's also a lot more room for a new program to step up in these conferences (Drake, Duquesne, Detroit, Davidson, Richmond) that an option we may not be thinking about could emerge. But I'm looking for a Xavier/Gonzaga/Creighton type emergence before even thinking about adding. VCU and Dayton could keep going, or suddenly have to replace coaches and drop off for 4 years or more. No need to add anything until we get closer to a new TV deal or UConn shakes free.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:39:31 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »

+1000

In our old league, we had a wide variety of colors (Syracuse orange, Notre Dame and USF green, Rutgers and Louisville red).  When the 7 re-formed the Big East our three adds were all navy-grey-white.  Now we have seven teams using navy blue as a primary (GT, CU, X, SH, MU, BU, Nova) and one more with a hardly indistinguishable black (PC).  The other two are the slightly lighter BLUE demons and St. John's, who has started wearing navy uniforms!  I'm wondering if we'll see anyone change their color scheme or focus on a different primary color (MU gold and baby, Nova's or CU's lighter blue, DP's red) just to stand out.

Moral of the story if we add teams, we need to go for color.  Which means Dayton (red), VCU (yellow), Davidson (red), and, hell, St. bonaventure (brown) are in, but Gonzaga (navy and red), BYU (navy and white) and SLU (navy and white) are out.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
PS... Correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the Jesuit schools with navy schemes (MU, Zaga, SLU, X) are based on Georgetown's colors, right?

feedback