[Today at 11:06:58 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 10:42:19 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dayton  (Read 45935 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Dayton
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
Unless adding teams increases the TV revenue Fox Sports provides to the Big East there should be no expansion, full stop, end of discussion, no argument. The Big East is about maximizing revenue for the member teams, adding teams will only dilute that.

^This guy knows what he is talking about.

Plus, Dayton sucks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 04:02:04 PM »
Archie to GA Tech

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
Sometimes it shouldn't be just about the money.   Dayton and SLU "fit" and should be in.   

Less money per school (and less TV exposure per school) means a less competitive Big East and a reduction in all that the conference adds to its members.  So, the money is pretty darned important.  Also, the easternmost schools of the "Big East" won't allow two new additions from the western part of the league.

Until a school is willing to drop their football team to the FCS level, the most likely team to get a Big East invite is Richmond.  That right there tells you how unlikely expansion is at this point.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:13:06 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »
Hey, great idea!  Every year, let's send out invites to anyone who made the Top 25 at least once.

Was thinking more along the lines of NCAA tournament appearances...both schools have more than us lately

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »
So many reasons not to take Dayton, and we haven't even touched the fact that they'd take a cut of our TV money.

No they wouldn't. There are provisions for expansion and the money pool gets bigger.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »
Unless adding teams increases the TV revenue Fox Sports provides to the Big East there should be no expansion, full stop, end of discussion, no argument. The Big East is about maximizing revenue for the member teams, adding teams will only dilute that.

I believe it does increase the TV revenue, as long as you don't add turd programs...VCU and Dayton aren't turd programs, at least not anymore than DePaul, St. John's or Marquette has been lately. If I was advocating Duquesne or Fordham...different story...

More teams = more games = more revenue

Also.....  7 NCAA credits divided by 12 teams > 5 NCAA credits divided by 10 teams

There's a reason other conferences have been expanding to 14 and 16 teams...if teams were losing revenue as a result, they wouldn't be doing it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:14:59 PM by Coleman »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
I believe it does increase the TV revenue, as long as you don't add turd programs

More teams = more games = more revenue

Also.....  7 NCAA credits divided by 12 teams > 5 NCAA credits divided by 10 teams

There's a reason other conferences have been expanding to 14 and 16 teams...if teams were losing revenue as a result, they wouldn't be doing it.

The Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC are doing it for the money, the Big 12, the ACC, and the AAC are doing it for survival.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
No they wouldn't. There are provisions for expansion and the money pool gets bigger.

That has been reported but not verified and I am certain that Fox has to agree to the additions. Given the ratings, I am not sure how much more BE basketball Fox is in the mood for.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 04:20:35 PM »
People who think Notre Dame, BYU, UConn or Memphis are ever going to join the Big East are delusional. The football school ship has sailed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:23:27 PM by Coleman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »
The Big Ten, Pac 12, and SEC are doing it for the money, the Big 12, the ACC, and the AAC are doing it for survival.

They all expanded in anticipation of a new contract. Not three years into a 10 year contract.

Really Dayton doesn't bring anything right now. They may in the future. The Big East can add them then.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:23:24 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Dayton gives us nothing. No one gives a crap about Dayton outside of Dayton. Gonzaga, BYU, Notre Dame, Memphis, UConn, etc. Those are the level teams we should be bringing in. Short of that, stay at 10.

Who gives a crap about DePaul outside of Chicago (or inside Chicago?)  Who gives a crap about Creighton outside of Omaha? Who gives a crap about Providence outside of Providence?

I'm not sure your expectations are fair relative to the rest of our conference.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Who gives a crap about DePaul outside of Chicago (or inside Chicago?)  Who gives a crap about Creighton outside of Omaha? Who gives a crap about Providence outside of Providence?

I'm not sure your expectations are fair relative to the rest of our conference.

There is a difference between the schools that are in and the ones to add.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »
There is a difference between the schools that are in and the ones to add.

Fair. The bottom line is....we will get more respect as a 6 bid conference with 12 teams than a 4 or 5 bid conference with 10 teams.

Until we start getting 6 or 7 teams into the NCAA, we will be looked at like a mid major.  That isn't going to happen with 10 teams.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 04:29:42 PM »
Fair. The bottom line is....we will get more respect as a 6 bid conference with 12 teams than a 4 or 5 bid conference with 10 teams.

Until we start getting 6 or 7 teams into the NCAA, we will be looked at like a mid major.  That isn't going to happen with 10 teams.

Mid-major conferences get one or two teams in the NCAA, not 4 or 5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »

You really think the people who mistakenly think that the Big East is a mid major are going to think differently if it has 12 teams instead of 10?

And why do you care what those people think anyway?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 04:37:21 PM »
I STILL WANT--- LOUISVILLE, UCONN, NOTRE DAME AND CINCY back in the Big East. I'm sure
a football deal could be worked out for those that would participate. This would bring prestige,
and revevenue to the BE. I know it's impossible but a great thought.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »
Mid-major conferences get one or two teams in the NCAA, not 4 or 5.

They also don't typically have 2 teams I the top 5. Keep the big east the same. You add schools like Dayton, SLU, etc you become closer to a mid major.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »
Was thinking more along the lines of NCAA tournament appearances...both schools have more than us lately

What do you call lately? Lets also not forget the coach that got VCU all those NCAA appearances is kinda gone and they've only ever made it outside the first weekend that one time.  If Dayton were in the Big East I'd gripe about it but I'd get it but not VCU, they don't fit and have all their prestige of being a better mid major due to one coach.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 06:22:02 PM »
Dayton would be a great addition to balance numbers. If we could magically land UConn, Gonzaga, or Notre Dame and needed someone to be #12, Dayton is perfect. But on their own merit? No need to expand to Dayton for Dayton's sake.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »
Sometimes it shouldn't be just about the money.   Dayton and SLU "fit" and should be in.   

My stretch pair of Sansabelts are a comfortable fit.  But, I have been told they are not an attractive look.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »
This is a much better fit:

Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
#19 in the country.

Can the conference please stop messing around and get them and VCU into the Big East?
We have a very strong conference with an attractive 10 team double round robin format. We got  10 teams into the tournament the last two years and are having a great conference season this year.

Adding teams impacts the scheduling, dilutes money from existing programs  from TV money and does not bring anything to the table. In two years Mullin will have St. Johns turned around and DePauls program is going to get much better with the new facility on the horizon.  At that point we will literally have every team in the league competitive.  There is no compelling reason to bring in any more teams.

Yes, I know Dayton has a long tradition, and with Xavier and Butler nearby it would have been very fun. Unfortunately the Jesuits at Marquette and Georgetown (remember they are all on each others boards so the ties are tight)   pushed very hard for Creighton at the outset and that is now a done deal.  It is fine with me as Creighton is bringing a lot to the table with the sell out crowds enthusiasm and their own solid tradition.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
Isn't there some heat between the athletic administrations between Marquette and Dayton?  I seem to recall some scheduling issue a while back, which has caused some friction.  Is that right? 

Ask yourself one question: is playing Dayton, and maybe Saint Louis, once or twice a year really more important than eliminating the round-robin home/home format we get to experience in the Big East?  Any addition eliminates the round-robin.  It's because of that they I am guaranteed of seeing Marquette/DePaul every year in Chicago.  I just don't see the value in such additions.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
I STILL WANT--- LOUISVILLE, UCONN, NOTRE DAME AND CINCY back in the Big East. I'm sure
a football deal could be worked out for those that would participate. This would bring prestige,
and revevenue to the BE. I know it's impossible but a great thought.

This is about as delusional as MU getting an at large bid right now.  Sure, things could always change in the future, but you'd need not just a perfect storm but a pretty strong aircraft carrier.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
12 teams would make a better Big East tournament. 11 teams would also make a better Big East tournament. The object is to get the most bids possible. The 5th and 6th seeded teams getting a bye hurts their chances, because they have to beat the 3rd and 4th seeds. You could have a round robin with 11 teams. You would need 20 conference games. I think it is the Ohio Valley that plays a 20 game schedule.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:45:09 PM by bilsu »

feedback