[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super bowl thread  (Read 13999 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Super bowl thread
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
That was his dad that wad sketchy at auburn. Not cam...

Yeah and UNC student athletes are all 4.0 students taking legit classes, UW Madison holds its student athletes to higher academic standards than any other colleges, Rick Pitino didn't know about the prostitution parties, etc., etc., etc.  And Peyton Manning is the only football player who has used HGH.  ;D
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
Wades I couldn't care less if Cam skipped a press conference. I also hope he was paid handsomely at Auburn. He deserved it.

I pretty much reserve my judgements on professional athletes based on what they do on the field. I really know nothing about them, either positively or negatively otherwise. (Unless it becomes something extreme like Ray Rice.)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2016, 11:03:54 PM »
Two things that I am ABSOLUTE AMAZED with I this topic.

1. Wades has a cute nickname for Cam Newton and is full of hot takes and opinions about the guy based on him leaving a press conference. (Oh no!!!!).

2. Chicos was rooting for Peyton Manning. The epitome of dull, white conservatism. If Manning were a piece of clothing, he'd be a pair of sensible khakis.

Of course we have all seen that meme now where Peyton was the one who left the field after losing to the Saints without shaking hands with anyone while Cam actually stuck around to shake hands with the Broncos including Manning.

But Cam is a punk and Peyton is the epitome of class.  (HGH be damned.)

My guess is the truth is in the middle with both of them.

I cheered for Peyton because he's been so good to me and my family for 10+ years.  If that's boring, oh well.  I don't know what white or conservatism has to do with it.  I assure you that many African American players, colleagues, fans love the guy as a player and were cheering him on as well. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2016, 12:24:56 AM »
Any complains about Quennville in his presser today complaining about the goal the refs overturned and then walk off? No? Huh, weird.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2016, 09:31:32 AM »
Wades I couldn't care less if Cam skipped a press conference. I also hope he was paid handsomely at Auburn. He deserved it.

I pretty much reserve my judgements on professional athletes based on what they do on the field. I really know nothing about them, either positively or negatively otherwise. (Unless it becomes something extreme like Ray Rice.)

Fair enough and you're entitled to do so. Just like I'm entitled to not like him for my own reasons.

Just out of curiosity, if you were the manager of 10 people at work and 1 of them was your best worker overall but just decided "ehh, I don't really like this part of my job, I'm just not going to do it" could you care less about that?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
Just out of curiosity, if you were the manager of 10 people at work and 1 of them was your best worker overall but just decided "ehh, I don't really like this part of my job, I'm just not going to do it" could you care less about that?

Let's say I run the sales department of a major corporation. As in your example, I have 10 employees under my charge. By far my No. 1 producer is fantastic at generating sales for the company. A true rainmaker. But he is lax with his paperwork. I constantly have to remind him to fill out the stuff, and he either gets it done too late or I end up having to do it for him, which pisses me off.

So I have a choice ... do I fire the single-best worker and moneymaker for my department, a guy with incredible contacts, a guy who surely will get a job with a competitor and so firing him would be the classic "cut off my nose to spite my face" move? Or do I put up with his one shortcoming, try to keep urging him to improve on it, all the while realizing that he probably won't?

Do the Panthers put up with one of the most dynamic football players in the world at the game's most important position, a guy who just led them to the best season in franchise history, all the while working with him to fix his few flaws? Or do they punish him -- or fire him! -- because he occasionally is mopey in front of the media?

I know my answer. What's yours?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2016, 12:26:59 PM »
Let's say I run the sales department of a major corporation. As in your example, I have 10 employees under my charge. By far my No. 1 producer is fantastic at generating sales for the company. A true rainmaker. But he is lax with his paperwork. I constantly have to remind him to fill out the stuff, and he either gets it done too late or I end up having to do it for him, which pisses me off.

So I have a choice ... do I fire the single-best worker and moneymaker for my department, a guy with incredible contacts, a guy who surely will get a job with a competitor and so firing him would be the classic "cut off my nose to spite my face" move? Or do I put up with his one shortcoming, try to keep urging him to improve on it, all the while realizing that he probably won't?

Do the Panthers put up with one of the most dynamic football players in the world at the game's most important position, a guy who just led them to the best season in franchise history, all the while working with him to fix his few flaws? Or do they punish him -- or fire him! -- because he occasionally is mopey in front of the media?

I know my answer. What's yours?

So, you proved my point.  You could care less.  It pisses you off, you continue to urge him to do his paperwork, etc.  To some extent, you care.

I don't even have a problem with a guy like Marshawn blowing off a press conference.  My only issue, which is one of the smaller issues I have with $cam, is that when he's able to dance around he's this charismatic, fun, smiling, loving guy who uses the podium to passive-aggressively taunt opposing teams by telling them that if they don't like his dancing then keep him out of the end zone.  But then when those teams do keep him out of the end zone he acts like a little baby.  I get it, he's a sore loser, etc., etc., etc.  Don't get all pissy when a team does exactly what you've been daring teams to do while in the exact same situation (post game press conferences).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2016, 04:33:37 PM »
So, you proved my point.  You could care less.  It pisses you off, you continue to urge him to do his paperwork, etc.  To some extent, you care.

I don't even have a problem with a guy like Marshawn blowing off a press conference.  My only issue, which is one of the smaller issues I have with $cam, is that when he's able to dance around he's this charismatic, fun, smiling, loving guy who uses the podium to passive-aggressively taunt opposing teams by telling them that if they don't like his dancing then keep him out of the end zone.  But then when those teams do keep him out of the end zone he acts like a little baby.  I get it, he's a sore loser, etc., etc., etc.  Don't get all pissy when a team does exactly what you've been daring teams to do while in the exact same situation (post game press conferences).

It was the f-ing Super Bowl.  He was frank and forthright in the presser when they lost to the Falcons.  He didn't storm out of there or not play nice.  He played poorly in the biggest game of his life the night after being awarded the MVP.  He was likely pissed at himself, the game, the outcome.  I don't know what would have been so laudable if he took the podium to give boring, generic answers like Peyton would have.

As for MU82, maybe he doesn't care, but he cares cause he's annoyed at the negative press.  For him, his salesperson's paperwork doesn't bother him, but he does get annoyed and bothered by people complaining about it, so its like "ok, lets try to fix it to avoid this nonsense".  Thats my personal feeling.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »
It was the f-ing Super Bowl.  He was frank and forthright in the presser when they lost to the Falcons.  He didn't storm out of there or not play nice.  He played poorly in the biggest game of his life the night after being awarded the MVP.  He was likely pissed at himself, the game, the outcome.  I don't know what would have been so laudable if he took the podium to give boring, generic answers like Peyton would have.

As for MU82, maybe he doesn't care, but he cares cause he's annoyed at the negative press.  For him, his salesperson's paperwork doesn't bother him, but he does get annoyed and bothered by people complaining about it, so its like "ok, lets try to fix it to avoid this nonsense".  Thats my personal feeling.

That's fine.  You can be fine with him acting like a pissy, whiny baby.  You're not alone in thinking that, just like I'm not alone in thinking that, regardless of what game he played in, he shouldn't act like a pissy, whiny baby when a team does exactly what he literally stood in front of a podium daring teams to do to him.  You dared them to stop you, they did.  Sucks to suck, especially when it's the biggest game of your life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
As I have said in multiple posts, I believe he handled the post-game press conference poorly and I also believe he should have gone for the fumble.

But I look at his overall body of work. I live in the same community and see what an amazing contributor he has been since Day 1 when he arrived here. I look at his growth as a quarterback and as a young man. And yes, I decide there are far more reasons to appreciate Cam Newton than to criticize him.

I am not "excusing" anything. I am trying to focus on what matters more to me. I am trying to be pragmatic and to keep things in perspective.

He didn't rape anybody. He didn't make dogs fight each other. He didn't even say a naughty word. To me, as a Panthers fan and an observer of the human condition, Cam's negatives are borderline immaterial.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2016, 11:03:44 PM »
I don't mind Cam, but I will say this.  Two years ago when DIRECTV was deciding whether to keep Peyton and Eli on as spokespeople I was asked my opinion about other QBs. 

I suggested against Cam Newton because I thought he was too unpredictable and when you have to think about a corporate brand and spokespeople, it's just something you need to be careful about.  I suggested Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, and a few others.   Yes, it is a conservative approach and maybe my lens views things with that background because I'm often looking for it in terms of the pros and cons as a spokesperson.   

I would LOVE to have him as my QB on my team.  However, I wouldn't want him to be my spokesperson for my company.  Both can be possible.  Not saying he is a bad guy, I don't think he is at all, but the predictability, etc, there are safer options.....but NO option is 100% safe.  Just doesn't exist. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »
I don't mind Cam, but I will say this.  Two years ago when DIRECTV was deciding whether to keep Peyton and Eli on as spokespeople I was asked my opinion about other QBs. 

I suggested against Cam Newton because I thought he was too unpredictable and when you have to think about a corporate brand and spokespeople, it's just something you need to be careful about.  I suggested Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, and a few others.   Yes, it is a conservative approach and maybe my lens views things with that background because I'm often looking for it in terms of the pros and cons as a spokesperson.   

I would LOVE to have him as my QB on my team.  However, I wouldn't want him to be my spokesperson for my company.  Both can be possible.  Not saying he is a bad guy, I don't think he is at all, but the predictability, etc, there are safer options.....but NO option is 100% safe.  Just doesn't exist.

That is a fair analysis, IMHO. But be aware that actual corporate folks who make actual decisions about athletes representing them actually like Cam.

I just so happened to have read an article about this today. Only two NFL players made more money in endorsements than Cam in 2015: Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. And the article quoted several people who work to secure athletes as endorsers for companies as saying they doubt Cam's Super Bowl situation will have one iota of a negative effect.

He still will appeal to the younger set every bit as much as he has the last year or two. The old white folks who don't like him never will, and the kind of corporations who want Cam endorsing their products don't care about those folks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2016, 12:38:39 AM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2016, 07:24:10 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/Ellerson42/videos/816482295147535/

My how times have changed:  "They don't give you no medal for trying."

Actually, now you don't even have to try - they give you a "medal" for just showing up.  And, if you can't be bothered to show up, the coach will probably send it to you with a teammate or drive it over to your house.  Opie would have loved sports in the new millennium. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Archie Manning has leaped to Newton's defense. Archie recalled how Peyton was ripped for not shaking Drew Brees' hand after his Colts lost to the Saints in the SB, with Archie saying a losing player who is a big-time competitor struggles with all kinds of demons in the heat of the moment like that.

BTW, Cam made it a point to seek out Peyton, shake his hand and say a few words to him after Sunday's game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »
Archie Manning has leaped to Newton's defense. Archie recalled how Peyton was ripped for not shaking Drew Brees' hand after his Colts lost to the Saints in the SB, with Archie saying a losing player who is a big-time competitor struggles with all kinds of demons in the heat of the moment like that.

BTW, Cam made it a point to seek out Peyton, shake his hand and say a few words to him after Sunday's game.

Right.

But according to wades, he's a "pissy, whiny baby" because he left a press conference early.   :o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »
Fair enough and you're entitled to do so. Just like I'm entitled to not like him for my own reasons.

Depends on how good he is and what that one part of the job is.

If it was something innocuous like filling out a vacation request form (pretty much the equivalent of a press conference in my eyes), then I wouldn't care.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »

Right.

But according to wades, he's a "pissy, whiny baby" because he left a press conference early.   :o

He is a pissy whiny baby. I'm far from the only person that thinks that. In fact I haven't heard a single media person who has said he doesn't need to grow up and handle things better while discussing his press conference. Gary Ellerson and LeRoy Butler, Bill Romanowski, Deion Sanders, TJ Lang, Shawn Marriman, Marshal Falk. Athletes from other sports, too. Josh Redick, Al Harrington, etc. I'll keep going if you want. Or you can think that just some meathead Packer fan is the only person in the world who thinks $cam's a baby and ignore the fact that just about everyone who's actually been in the same situation thinks he couldn't have handled it worse. Doesn't really matter to me.

Again, if he didn't spend all year smiling in front of the cameras saying, "If you don't like my dancing then keep me out of the end zone" then it is what it is. But when you're asking to be in the limelight and talking trash about how nobody can stop your dancing all year long don't literally run and hide from the cameras when a team does stop you from dancing.

Marshawn Lynch doesn't stand in front of cameras telling other teams to "keep him out of the end zone if you don't want me to rub my nuts in front of you." He makes a mockery out of the press conference no matter what. $cam absolutely LOVES his press conferences...unless he's losing. He's a pissy whiny baby.

Not sure why you continue to follow around my opinions and care so much about them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:21:02 PM by wadesworld »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
He is a pissy whiny baby. I'm far from the only person that thinks that. In fact I haven't heard a single media person who has said he doesn't need to grow up and handle things better while discussing his press conference. Gary Ellerson and LeRoy Butler, Bill Romanowski, Deion Sanders, TJ Lang, Shawn Marriman, Marshal Falk. Athletes from other sports, too. Josh Redick, Al Harrington, etc. I'll keep going if you want. Or you can think that just some meathead Packer fan is the only person in the world who thinks $cam's a baby and ignore the fact that just about everyone who's actually been in the same situation thinks he couldn't have handled it worse. Doesn't really matter to me.

Wow.  The media is whining because he skipped out on a press conference.  I'm shocked.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:03 PM »
Wow.  The media is whining because he skipped out on a press conference.  I'm shocked.

Yet still nothing on Quennville, huh, weird. (And I'm a huge hawks fan just playing devils advocate )

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
Yet still nothing on Quennville, huh, weird. (And I'm a huge hawks fan just playing devils advocate )

Because it was a regular season hockey game versus the biggest sporting event of the year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »

Because it was a regular season hockey game versus the biggest sporting event of the year.

That's kind of my point. If it's a regular season game does it get mentioned? Or if anybody besides Cam, Cutler or Jameis does that is it a big deal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
That's kind of my point. If it's a regular season game does it get mentioned? Or if anybody besides Cam, Cutler or Jameis does that is it a big deal.

Yep.  Understood.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:18 PM »

Again, if he didn't spend all year smiling in front of the cameras saying, "If you don't like my dancing then keep me out of the end zone" then it is what it is. But when you're asking to be in the limelight and talking trash about how nobody can stop your dancing all year long don't literally run and hide from the cameras when a team does stop you from dancing.

Marshawn Lynch doesn't stand in front of cameras telling other teams to "keep him out of the end zone if you don't want me to rub my nuts in front of you." He makes a mockery out of the press conference no matter what. $cam absolutely LOVES his press conferences...unless he's losing. He's a pissy whiny baby.

Not sure why you continue to follow around my opinions and care so much about them.

I won't speak for Sultan but I will speak for me. I have already said numerous times that Cam could have and should have handled it better. I also have said that in the realm of terrible things athletes have been known to do, this ranks somewhere between the flea on the dog and the amoeba on the flea.

In other words, long-term, it's immaterial.

Every sponsor wants to keep Cam as an endorser. His fans, including me, are still his fans. And the haters, including you, hate him even though he does more charitable deeds than probably 98% of all athletes in the U.S.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »
I won't speak for Sultan but I will speak for me. I have already said numerous times that Cam could have and should have handled it better. I also have said that in the realm of terrible things athletes have been known to do, this ranks somewhere between the flea on the dog and the amoeba on the flea.

In other words, long-term, it's immaterial.

Every sponsor wants to keep Cam as an endorser. His fans, including me, are still his fans. And the haters, including you, hate him even though he does more charitable deeds than probably 98% of all athletes in the U.S.

Right.  He is a whiny, pissy baby.  Not a huge deal.  Which is why I don't get why everyone wants to run to his defense and pretend like what I am saying is some crazy, insane, offensive thing to call him.  It is what he is.  There are A LOT of whiny, pissy babies out there.  I work with some.  I root for some (ssssssshhhhhh, don't tell MerritsMustache, he thinks my criteria for good vs. evil is wearing green and gold vs. not wearing green and gold).  Rodgers, Cutler, Brady, Rivers, Rothlisberger, $cam, etc. are all whiny, pissy babies.  95% of NBA all stars are whiney, pissy babies.  I really don't understand what the big deal of calling it like it is is.

$cam is also a punk.  It is what it is.  Does it make him a horrible human being?  No.  Does it mean he is some thug who should be feared walking down the street or thrown in jail?  No.  It means he's someone who will tear down somebody's personal sign or tell someone he will "slap the sh!t" out of them for heckling him.  Those are things that punks do.  There are A LOT of punks out there.  Not a huge deal.  Just is what it is.

I'm glad he's good in the community, I'm glad he's great with kids, I'm glad he (as far as we all know) hasn't beaten any women or children or abused drugs or alcohol, etc..  Unfortunately, that makes him better than a fairly decent number of professional athletes.  Good for him.  Seriously.

He's still a whiny, pissy baby punk.  Like you said, grand scheme of things, pretty minor thing to be.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:52:14 PM by wadesworld »

feedback