[Today at 03:00:28 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Super bowl thread  (Read 13987 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Super bowl thread
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »
Nope, not paid at all.  That's been Peyton's beer for a long time.  My wife gave him crap about it in 2001 at the QB Challenge in Kauai where you literally hang out with the families for 4 or 5 days at a remote resort.  No fans to worry about.   My wife always called Budweiser "buttwiper" and he laughed pretty good at it.

Well never mind the fact that Peyton owns 2 Budweiser distributors.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
The result of the play should have kept the clock running, but it stopped for the penalty. It was cut off by Nance carrying on about Manning but the ref said 10 second run off and the clock will restart on ready for play meaning there was one second and Carolina couldn't snap it in that time so it just ran off to end the game.

So .. the clock keeps running after a penalty?   That .. doesn't sound right.  I mean, the 10 second run-off is meant to penalize the concept that a team wants to stop the clock without a time-out.    Starting the clock later at some arbitrary time seems .. unfair.

"Better be ready to snap once you see the clock start again" ? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2016, 04:51:43 PM »
Well never mind the fact that Peyton owns 2 Budweiser distributors.

Yup, he likes the beer.  I believe he is a partial owner. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »
very nicely done-i could imagine the mannings being pretty cool-loved his united way skit and the little kids football-they say he was really uncomfortable about hitting the kids with the ball even though it was a nerf football

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25246417/archie-manning-peyton-refused-to-hit-kids-with-football-for-snl-sketch

He's definitely uptight, but so is Archie.  That's just how the family is and were raised.  Boring, but productive.  Archie's wife is wonderful, but she runs a tight ship, and they were raised a certain way for sure.  Cooper, included.

As for the adultery stuff, I don't know.  Maybe.  Rumors out there, but it's not like this guy isn't easy to spot by everyone in town. 

Just wish I brought my Canon with me.  This is the first Super Bowl since 2001 that I didn't have a nice camera with me.  I had to walk so damn far where I parked to the stadium, I was afraid they wouldn't let me in with it, but being an outdoor stadium and the golden light late evening would have been nice.  Instead it was iPhone only.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »
Disappointing day. Panthers' defense played admirably. Their D played better ... and WAY better than the Panthers' offense.

And believe it or not, I was by far the calmest of the 8 people at the little gathering we had at our house to watch the game. F-bombs were flying ... and that was mostly from the women. And I am totally serious about that.

One of my friend's wives said the F-word so often it was quite comical, as if somebody was doing a parody of a 4-foot-8, 85-pound, 65-year-old Jewish woman screaming F-bombs.

"What's your favorite swear word, Rose?"

"F_ck, I don't know."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
Talib could have been ejected for that face mask.

One of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen. Not Charles Martin, but really,really bad.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »
Looking at the actual language in the NFL rules on complete/incomplete is confusing.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised because everyone knows that the NFL can't get it straight on what is a catch or not - this isn't a new problem.  Part of the problem in this case is that there seem to be two rules that could apply because Cotchery lost control of the ball twice and then regained control twice with the ball arguably touching the ground in between.

Rule 8; Section 1 ("Forward Pass"); Article 3 ("Completed or Intercepted Pass"); Item 1 ("Player Going to the Ground"):  "...If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.  If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete.  If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

This rule makes it seem like a catch.  Cotchery had control; then he lost control of the ball but regained control as he rolled over prior to the ball touching the ground (it never did touch the ground after he rolled over - there was conclusive footage of that).  But this isn't the specific rule for when the ball touches the ground.  That comes later.  This is the rule for if the player hits the ground and loses control, it's still a catch if the ball never hits the ground.

Rule 8; Section 1 ("Forward Pass"); Article 3 ("Completed or Intercepted Pass"); Item 4 ("Ball Touches the Ground"):  If the ball touches the ground after the player secures control of it, it is a catch, provided the player continues to maintain control.

I think this rule leads to a different conclusion.  Cotchery initially bobbled and then gained control.  When he hit the ground, the ball touched the ground and he lost control and bobbled it as he was rolling over.  Under this rule, that makes it seem like it is not a catch because he did not continue to maintain control after it touched the ground.  I'm not sure that the fact that he regained control before it hit the ground again saves the catch.  I assume -- and that's all it is, my assumption -- that this was the basis of the call.

I still thought it was going to be overturned, but I think a lot of the confusion is from focusing on the every end of the play (that he didn't let it hit the ground "again") and not the first part of the play (when the ball did appear to hit the ground -- or at least it was not conclusive).

In this video Fox's replay official explains why he thinks the refs got the call right.  Clearly, his focus is on the ball contacting the ground and the ensuing loss of control, which is the second of the two rules quoted above.  It's pretty clear from his comments that he thinks that ends the question and what happens after that (i.e., he regains control and prevents the ball from hitting the ground again) is irrelevant.

The video has a pretty good still shot that I thinks pretty much puts to rest the question of whether the ball touched the ground.  I suppose others might see it differently.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:59:44 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2016, 06:23:19 PM »
My perspective from the game

80% Broncos fans.  I knew two weeks ago it would be heavily favored Denver fans, but didn't think it would be that high.  As loud a Super Bowl for one team as I have ever been to.  Super Bowl 47 with the Pats and Giants was loud, but both teams represented well.

I did sit next to two Panthers fans...they were very classy.  Nice guys.  Interesting observation (I'm sure some will read into it more than it needs to, but it was interesting to me).  Both of these Panther fans were African American, both had Panther jerseys, neither wore a Newton jersey....guy next to me wore a Luke Kuechly jersey.  During the game, he had some choice words for Cam.  I finally asked him, are you a Cam fan or just like the defense.  He was not much of a Cam fan by his comments.   Again, I found it interesting.  The number of Manning jerseys was insane, probably 85%.  Some Miller, some Ware...a few Dallas Cowboys Ware jerseys also.

When Newton was shown pregame, a ton of boos.  Only person in the stadium that got more boos was Tom Brady who was really killed.

Halftime performance...eh....I like Coldplay, but when I heard last month they were the band it made me question why.

Blue Angels flyover was nice, national anthem done well and tastefully by Lady Gaga.

The game....offense be damned.   The seats we had about the 30 yard line and up a bit, so you could see everything very well.  Denver's team speed and their D-Line was really impressive.   Peyton did very little, he just didn't hurt them.  Newton looked off all day.  Rivera, stuck to the running game too long.  Why he challenged that second call none of us could understand that...dumb.   The catch or no catch.  The ref that was right next to it didn't rule as he clearly didn't know, the back judge ruled it incomplete.  They showed it on the two large screens, and most people in the stands around us felt like it would have been really tough to overturn the call on the field.  If it was called a catch on the field, it would have stuck. If called an incomplete, would have stuck. 

Overall, I was happy as I wanted Manning to win.  I don't dislike Cam, think he is a phenomenal athlete.  That being said, I also understand that people have no problem cheering against people they deem arrogant or rubbing it in.  Actually felt some of the Broncos acted that way during the game, but I guess they have the trophy so they get that opportunity.

Final comment was from the Carolina fans next to me.  They were getting really nervous early in the second quarter.  They knew.  He turned to me and said, "we don't have it today.  We can't stop their penetration and we look shell shocked."  I told him it's only the 2nd quarter and he said, "No, I'm telling you this is the worst I have seen this team all year. It's like we aren't even the same team".  He was right.

Wondering if you know why so many Packers fans would be in the stadium?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »
Wondering if you know why so many Packers fans would be in the stadium?

Not sure I understand?   At any rate, there were a few.  My son wore his Clay Matthews jersey and we ran into some dude dressed like Pope Vince Lombardi which I have seen at other games.  Those were the only Packers fans I saw.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »
Not sure I understand?   At any rate, there were a few.  My son wore his Clay Matthews jersey and we ran into some dude dressed like Pope Vince Lombardi which I have seen at other games.  Those were the only Packers fans I saw.

;)

According to some here only meathead Packers fans would ever boo $cam Newton.  You know, he's a talented quarterback who we are just envious of and in reality just wish our own quarterback would rip down opposing team's fans' signs in Lambeau and tell hecklers that he's going to "smack the sh!t" out of them while taking less sacks and throwing more picks.   :o

And how in the world could you allow your son to wear the jersey of such a world class jerk?! (of which nobody seems to be able to provide any reason for that...)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
;)

According to some here only meathead Packers fans would ever boo $cam Newton.  You know, he's a talented quarterback who we are just envious of and in reality just wish our own quarterback would rip down opposing team's fans' signs in Lambeau and tell hecklers that he's going to "smack the sh!t" out of them while taking less sacks and throwing more picks.   :o

And how in the world could you allow your son to wear the jersey of such a world class jerk?! (of which nobody seems to be able to provide any reason for that...)

Ahh, got it. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:09 PM »

I did sit next to two Panthers fans...they were very classy.  Nice guys.  Interesting observation (I'm sure some will read into it more than it needs to, but it was interesting to me).  Both of these Panther fans were African American, both had Panther jerseys, neither wore a Newton jersey....guy next to me wore a Luke Kuechly jersey.  During the game, he had some choice words for Cam.  I finally asked him, are you a Cam fan or just like the defense.  He was not much of a Cam fan by his comments.   Again, I found it interesting. 

I find it interesting, too, and I'm not reading anything into it. Two Panthers fans who apparently don't like Cam. There are some out there. In my experience, most are white but not surprised that some are black.

I refereed a total of 18 youth basketball games the last two weekends. I worked with five different partners. Four of them were black. We of course discussed the Panthers. All four of them sang Cam's praises. They love him.

Which proves nothing, really.

I'm quite Caucasian. Big Cam fan. Which also proves nothing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »
;)

Let it go, man. No one said any of those specific things. Your angry, fabricated, irrational rants are doing nothing to dispel the notion that you tend to go on angry, fabricated, irrational rants when it comes to football. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2016, 06:25:02 AM »
Let it go, man. No one said any of those specific things. Your angry, fabricated, irrational rants are doing nothing to dispel the notion that you tend to go on angry, fabricated, irrational rants when it comes to football.

Angry and irrational? For answering the questions that were asked? And then asking some of my own? Seems like the only irrational thing there would be to not answer the questions that I was asked...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2016, 06:27:36 AM »
Clay Matthews is a punk?  For what?  He's a pretty boy, but I'm not sure that being a pretty boy  makes somebody a "world class punk."

Yes, caring about personal statistics is better than being a punk lol.  I can accept a quarterback being willing to take a sack over throwing a pick more than I can accept a quarterback telling a heckler he's going to "smack the sh!t" out of him or tearing down a sign a fan made lol.  Guess that makes me a fanboy of Rodgers's :o

This = angry and irrational (answering the questions that you asked).

Thanks. This answers my question.

Packers = Good
Non-Packers who are talented = Bad

Got it.

This = rational and level headed (aka avoiding the questions you were asked because there really is no rational explanation).

I'm still trying to figure out what makes Clay Matthews a "world class punk." And why in the world I would ever "love" (your words) a Packers player ripping down an opposing team's fan's sign in Lambeau. That's a punk move. But I'm an irrational meathead Packers fan.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:31:21 AM by wadesworld »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
I find it interesting, too, and I'm not reading anything into it. Two Panthers fans who apparently don't like Cam. There are some out there. In my experience, most are white but not surprised that some are black.

I refereed a total of 18 youth basketball games the last two weekends. I worked with five different partners. Four of them were black. We of course discussed the Panthers. All four of them sang Cam's praises. They love him.

I find it interesting that Chico finds it interesting that there were 2 black guys rooting for Carolina who weren't wearing Cam Newton jerseys. And I find it also interesting that Chico finds it interesting that as the game unfolded and Newton played poorly and Carolina stumbled towards defeat these same two black dudes became frustrated, even angry (OMG!) with Cam. Who woulda thunk it?

Interesting what some people find interesting. Interesting and informative.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2016, 11:05:20 AM »

Actually, I think this proves you're reffing too many youth basketball games. Hope they're old enough to be decent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
Actually, I think this proves you're reffing too many youth basketball games. Hope they're old enough to be decent.

Most Saturdays and Sundays, I do 3 or 4. They only last about an hour each, and most of the times they are at least 11 years old so there are some good players (and some not-so-good). I do occasionally ref the "littles" -- either 7 or 8 year olds. They are pretty funny to watch.

On "Pro Bowl Sunday" (for lack of better descriptor), my coordinator needed me to do 7 games. By the 7th, I was pretty wiped out and I imagine it wasn't my best outing. Thankfully, it was a blowout, so any mess-ups weren't magnified. Hard to blame the refs when you lose 52-6.

Based on what I've seen of my peers in the leagues I work, I think I'm a pretty good ref. But yes, if I were REALLY good, I wouldn't be calling for a bunch of 11 year olds!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Most Saturdays and Sundays, I do 3 or 4. They only last about an hour each, and most of the times they are at least 11 years old so there are some good players (and some not-so-good). I do occasionally ref the "littles" -- either 7 or 8 year olds. They are pretty funny to watch.

On "Pro Bowl Sunday" (for lack of better descriptor), my coordinator needed me to do 7 games. By the 7th, I was pretty wiped out and I imagine it wasn't my best outing. Thankfully, it was a blowout, so any mess-ups weren't magnified. Hard to blame the refs when you lose 52-6.

Based on what I've seen of my peers in the leagues I work, I think I'm a pretty good ref. But yes, if I were REALLY good, I wouldn't be calling for a bunch of 11 year olds!

Give us the inside scoop on how often you refs have been asked to fix games

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »

I wonder if there's any truth to the rumor that MU has a nonconference game next season against the team that scored 6?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2016, 05:07:26 PM »
Yeah so much for the "matured" Cam Newton.  The fact of the matter is he's still a punk who just happened to be winning, so he happened to be more upbeat than he was in the past.  Nothing about him changed besides he was winning.

The difference is you were a 14-18 year old kid who wasn't pretending to be a changed man and talking about how misunderstood you are because of your race, and you weren't getting paid millions of dollars to, in part, do press conferences.  $cam is a 26 year old man who wanted everyone to believe he had matured beyond exactly what he showed last night.  If that was the case, he would've handled it like all the other Carolina players who were upset after losing the biggest game of their careers.
I completely agree with this . I have had personal dealings with Cam which support this notion. An arrogant self involved punk who has been coddled his whole life who thinks the rules don't apply to him.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
Two things that I am ABSOLUTE AMAZED with I this topic.

1. Wades has a cute nickname for Cam Newton and is full of hot takes and opinions about the guy based on him leaving a press conference. (Oh no!!!!).

2. Chicos was rooting for Peyton Manning. The epitome of dull, white conservatism. If Manning were a piece of clothing, he'd be a pair of sensible khakis.

Of course we have all seen that meme now where Peyton was the one who left the field after losing to the Saints without shaking hands with anyone while Cam actually stuck around to shake hands with the Broncos including Manning.

But Cam is a punk and Peyton is the epitome of class.  (HGH be damned.)

My guess is the truth is in the middle with both of them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2016, 06:06:48 PM »
Two things that I am ABSOLUTE AMAZED with I this topic.

1. Wades has a cute nickname for Cam Newton and is full of hot takes and opinions about the guy based on him leaving a press conference. (Oh no!!!!).

2. Chicos was rooting for Peyton Manning. The epitome of dull, white conservatism. If Manning were a piece of clothing, he'd be a pair of sensible khakis.

Of course we have all seen that meme now where Peyton was the one who left the field after losing to the Saints without shaking hands with anyone while Cam actually stuck around to shake hands with the Broncos including Manning.

But Cam is a punk and Peyton is the epitome of class.  (HGH be damned.)

My guess is the truth is in the middle with both of them.

Shocking that you'd fail to address the actual reasons I have for not liking $cam.  Also shocking that you haven't seen $cam before.  Been around since he was getting paid at Auburn 5 years ago.  Try to keep up.  :o

Do you actually think the average football player doesn't use HGH?   ;D

Nowhere in an NFL contract does it say that an NFL player must shake hands with an opposing team following the game.  This isn't 5th grade basketball where we all line up and high 5 each other and tell everyone, "Good game!"  It does, however, say that a player must address the media for a certain amount of time.  These guys get paid millions of dollars.  Carry out your end of the deal.  If you're going to sit and tell other teams during your press conference to keep you out of the end zone to stop you from doing the dance they don't like, then don't get all pissy when you overhear someone talking about how you turned into Russell Wilson and couldn't make a throw to save your life and that if they kept you from running the ball they'd win the game.  The truth apparently hurts $cam a little more than he thinks it hurts his opponents.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:13:06 PM by wadesworld »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »
That was his dad that wad sketchy at auburn. Not cam...