[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turnovers  (Read 12560 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Turnovers
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the best players, coaches and teams learn from failure. Failure exposes your weaknesses — and thus, where you need to focus on improving — like nothing else.

Wojo has stressed a number of key points in virtually every interview or post-game press conference: 1) effort/intensity; 2) rebounding (closely related to effort/intensity); 3) defense (of course related to both the first two points); 4) shot selection; and 5) turnovers.

There's been progress on points 1, 3 and 4 since the beginning of the season. Wojo's said as much. Marquette plays hard, doesn't give up, shows the makings of a good defensive team, and seems to be taking better shots of late. Rebounding has been good some games, not so much in others. When it comes to turnovers, though, the team remains its own worst enemy. And it's not just on Henry. Far from it.

The 20 turnovers against Xavier represent a smorgasbord of mistakes and lost opportunities. But one key stretch stands out to me as the most egregious.

With under 2 minutes to go, MU had closed to within a single possession at 77-80. Then we committed 3 consecutive turnovers in the space of 47 seconds. Xavier took advantage, hitting on a jumper and 3 free throws to up the lead to 77-85.

Down 3 points with 1:26 left and you're in a position to win. Down 8 points with 0:39 to go, it's all but over. Game changer.

I hope and expect that Wojo and the coaching staff have repeatedly reviewed that 47 seconds of game film with the team. If anything gets through to them about how much every possession matters, how much empty possessions hurt your chances of winning, that should be Exhibit A.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:18:06 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
This is where I think there needs to be stat like effective tempo, because I think there is a quirk in the tempo stat. Most of our turnovers are on fast breaks or early in the possessions, that biases the tempo stat to say we are going faster then we actually are.

Completely agree.  When you turn teams over more than average (we do) and you yourself turn it over a lot (we definitely do) you will have a very high tempo. 

The problem is that even though we have a high tempo number it doesn't mean you throw the ball down court after a defensive rebound to score or shoot after the first pass, which we rarely do.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
After Buzz, I get why we embrace coaches that can be adaptable. Buzz found ways to win with different types of players and at different paces of play. That got us to the tournament every year but the lady with great NCAA results.

That said, plenty of coaches are just as, or even more successful by being inflexible. Jim Boeheim never leaves the zone. Bo Ryan stuck with the Swing and man defense no matter what. Wojo seems to want up tempo offense predicated on turnovers and man defense. Right now, the results aren't good with the combination of a bare cupboard and youth. In 2-3 years, we'll see.

If I'm analyzing what Wojo is doing, I think the long term plan is to play like what's currently en vogue in the NBA, Space and Pace. So up tempo with strong shooting, right now we are some what deficient on shooting and we don't have enough experience to play at tremendous tempo yet....so we struggle at times.

Long term, I think it's very smart because the skill sets required to play space and pace are more readily available and are also much more teachable than say requiring an aircraft carrier down low to run your offense through the low post.

I'd love to have Henry back next year but A) not happening B) we can be as good if not better without him next year, simply because we'll have shooters and space.

Let's assume Rowsey is the starting PG and Sandy figures his crap out, a line-up could be 4 out 1 in of Rowsey, Duane, JjJ, Sandy, and Luke. That is a lot of shooting on the floor and Duane, Rowsey, JjJ(especially) able to slash with the space the shooting provides. That's good stuff.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
I'd really like to see someone track fast break efficiency. I know they track it for the NBA. While we try to break plenty, I'm not sure we're very good at it. What good is forcing a turnover if you hand it right back without scoring?

You're not sure we're good at it? I'm quite certain we are very not good at it. In fact, I think if we do score off the break we are often lucky
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
You're not sure we're good at it? I'm quite certain we are very not good at it. In fact, I think if we do score off the break we are often lucky

LOL

I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible without hard statistics, but I agree. I feel like at least twice a game on fast breaks I'm screaming "slow down, slow down, slow...oh crap!"
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »
LOL

I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible without hard statistics, but I agree. I feel like at least twice a game on fast breaks I'm screaming "slow down, slow down, slow...oh crap!"

I think that's about par for the course though for every team. I bet if we pay attention to both team's fast break opportunities tonight the amount of screw ups on the break will be about the same.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2016, 11:48:25 AM »
LOL

Someone please insert a gif of the 3 on 1 that Sandy led on Sat.  That however was "go, go, oh come on!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
This is where I think there needs to be stat like effective tempo, because I think there is a quirk in the tempo stat.

Yes, I was just thinking that we need another stat an old fart like me doesn't understand!  :o
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 11:53:54 AM »
I think that's about par for the course though for every team. I bet if we pay attention to both team's fast break opportunities tonight the amount of screw ups on the break will be about the same.

I don't think that's the case, but it's exactly why I hope someone starts tracking fast break efficiency. When Jae and DJO were here, or on the Amigos team, it felt like getting a steal and fast break was nearly guaranteed. Sure, you still sometimes want them to slow up, but on those teams, it was maybe once or twice a month, not once or twice a game. I would be floored if this team was as good at converting fast break chances into points as those teams were.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »
Yes, I was just thinking that we need another stat an old fart like me doesn't understand!  :o

How else can we possibly win an argument against you when you have logic and experience on your side?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
I don't think that's the case, but it's exactly why I hope someone starts tracking fast break efficiency. When Jae and DJO were here, or on the Amigos team, it felt like getting a steal and fast break was nearly guaranteed. Sure, you still sometimes want them to slow up, but on those teams, it was maybe once or twice a month, not once or twice a game. I would be floored if this team was as good at converting fast break chances into points as those teams were.

I think that's fair, but you're comparing this year's team to probably the two best Marquette teams we've had in the past 10 years. I think if you looked at Marquette this year it would be near the national average, while those two teams obviously excelled.

I could be completely wrong, though. Just my gut feeling.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
I don't think that's the case, but it's exactly why I hope someone starts tracking fast break efficiency. When Jae and DJO were here, or on the Amigos team, it felt like getting a steal and fast break was nearly guaranteed.

Not quite a full accounting, but Hoop-Math.com does provide eFG% on transition opportunities. MU's eFG% in transition is 57.0%, which ranks 128th in the country.

Here's where MU sits the last 5 years

eFG         Transition
2016 -      57.0%          24.4%
2015 -      58.7%        23.8%
2014 -      56.4%        24.1%
2013 -      63.1%        21.4%
2012 -      55.6%          35.4%

So while MU isn't great in transition this year, it's fairly middle of the pack in both eFG% and % of possessions in transition.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that the best players, coaches and teams learn from failure. Failure exposes your weaknesses — and thus, where you need to focus on improving — like nothing else.

Wojo has stressed a number of key points in virtually every interview or post-game press conference: 1) effort/intensity; 2) rebounding (closely related to effort/intensity); 3) defense (of course related to both the first two points); 4) shot selection; and 5) turnovers.

I think Xavier was our best rebounding effort. Hopefully that means we are starting to see improvement in that area.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »
Not quite a full accounting, but Hoop-Math.com does provide eFG% on transition opportunities. MU's eFG% in transition is 57.0%, which ranks 128th in the country.

Here's where MU sits the last 5 years

eFG         Transition
2016 -      57.0%          24.4%
2015 -      58.7%        23.8%
2014 -      56.4%        24.1%
2013 -      63.1%        21.4%
2012 -      55.6%          35.4%

So while MU isn't great in transition this year, it's fairly middle of the pack in both eFG% and % of possessions in transition.

Thanks, definitely going to check that out.