[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: X rated thoughts  (Read 11751 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: X rated thoughts
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 06:14:03 PM »
Although on the last one the X guy flopped big time, watched it a few times, imo Sandy barely touched him, guy jumped out of bounds

Yeah that was a flop.  The 2 on Duane where he hockey checked guys...just not smart.  Not sure how you're a 21 year old who has more or less dedicated a huge portion of your life to basketball and still make some of the boneheaded decisions/plays he does.  For all those who think Hank plays/played on his own while the 4 other guys on the court play a different game in cohesion, I suggest you watch Duane.  The ball will get swung quickly around the perimeter or handed off in a little overlap dribble by our guards...until it gets to Duane.  Once it gets to him he grabs it with 2 hands, dangles it down by his feet while calling for a screen, slowly dribbles around the screener trying to size up the screen defense, and then carries the ball trying to split the hedge before finally deciding what he wants to do with the ball.  Every time he changes directions he carries the ball big time.  I'm shocked he's only been called for like 8 carries this season, which is an absurd number for a D1 guard as it is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:57 PM »
Duane is such a tough one to figure out. As the self-proclaimed team leader, I am having a tough time figuring out what his role is or where he fits with this team. Not a distributer/floor general and is too small and too poor of a defender to play the 2. Although, he makes huge plays and isn't afraid to take the big shot. Just wish he could play pg because haanif is much less effective when handling the pg position. 

Duane just isn't a "self proclaimed" team leader. Wojo has mentioned him as a team leader. To me he is playing like a sophomore. Not as inconsistent as a freshman but still having troubles putting good games back to back.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »

Duane just isn't a "self proclaimed" team leader. Wojo has mentioned him as a team leader. To me he is playing like a sophomore. Not as inconsistent as a freshman but still having troubles putting good games back to back.

The issue I havee with Duane is he's a red shirt Soph.  He should be beyond those hiccups. I get the Fr kicking the ball around, but he is front and center with bad decisions and mind numbing plays...that turnover around the 1 min mark made me want to pull my hair out.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »
I watch a pretty good amount of college hoops, but I cannot recall seeing another carrying call this year other than Duane.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:30 PM »
Yeah that was a flop.  The 2 on Duane where he hockey checked guys...just not smart.  Not sure how you're a 21 year old who has more or less dedicated a huge portion of your life to basketball and still make some of the boneheaded decisions/plays he does.  For all those who think Hank plays/played on his own while the 4 other guys on the court play a different game in cohesion, I suggest you watch Duane.  The ball will get swung quickly around the perimeter or handed off in a little overlap dribble by our guards...until it gets to Duane.  Once it gets to him he grabs it with 2 hands, dangles it down by his feet while calling for a screen, slowly dribbles around the screener trying to size up the screen defense, and then carries the ball trying to split the hedge before finally deciding what he wants to do with the ball.  Every time he changes directions he carries the ball big time.  I'm shocked he's only been called for like 8 carries this season, which is an absurd number for a D1 guard as it is.

I do love the pump fake 3 to get to the 12-15' J. 
The carry could be called every time.  He also has his cousin's hop step while catching the ball which could be/often times is called a travel as well.
What I do appreciate bout Duane is he is one of the few who brings the moxie and will mix it up.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »
The issue I havee with Duane is he's a red shirt Soph.  He should be beyond those hiccups. I get the Fr kicking the ball around, but he is front and center with bad decisions and mind numbing plays...that turnover around the 1 min mark made me want to pull my hair out.

If you are referring to the pass that went to open space and ended up as a bucket on the other side, then that was equally on Ellenson. 

He was supposed to, and started rolling out to the spot the pass went to.  He stopped, and then did not pursue the ball when it sat there. 

That play is akin to a quarterback throwing to a spot, the receiver cutting the route off and the ball getting intercepted.  At least 50% on both people.

brandx

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »
I would rather have Traci on the floor the last 5 minutes than Duane. With Duane and Haney on the floor together at the end, it's a turnover festival.

Haney is a freshman learning a new position - PG - but no excuses for DW.

Traci had as many assists today as the entire starting five.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 10:22:29 PM »

He redshirted cause he was injured. I have no concerns about Duane. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
My kid had a game at the same time and then I had to go to a travel baseball meeting.  Life and kids.  Sometimes.......

That's why Edison invented the DVR!

I refereed 4 youth basketball games today. I texted my MU buds to leave me alone and send me no spoiler texts. Got home, showered, had dinner with Mrs. MU82 and then we watched the game at 7:30 p.m., none the wiser as to the final result until we got there. Bonus: We didn't have to watch commercials or halftime.

Frankly, it's hard for me to watch a game live now. I have gotten so used to the DVR, it drives me nuts to sit through the commercials, the replay time-outs, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
I would rather have Traci on the floor the last 5 minutes than Duane.

I would rather have Duane on the floor to take and make the winning shot at Providence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 11:01:24 PM »
I would rather have Duane on the floor to take and make the winning shot at Providence.

I thought about it a lot and to me Duane is neither a good enough 3-point shooter nor from the free throw line - he is the worst free throw shooter among the top 7 players; and guys need to make free throws late in close games.

What really has surprised me though, is how badly he misses many of his 3-point attempts. I expected him to be the best shooter on the team this year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 11:06:41 PM »
I thought about it a lot and to me Duane is neither a good enough 3-point shooter nor from the free throw line - he is the worst free throw shooter among the top 7 players; and guys need to make free throws late in close games.

What really has surprised me though, is how badly he misses many of his 3-point attempts. I expected him to be the best shooter on the team this year.

I have no idea what happened to Duanes free throw shooting. Last year he was shooting close to 90% in the beginning of the year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 11:25:15 PM »
I shudder to think how sh1tty we would truly be without Duane.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 01:27:23 AM »

Dear God. The kid is shooting 35% from three and has 20 more three pointers than anyone else on this team (and that's without today's 4-6 performance). What more does he have to do to be considered a good three point shooter? He's not elite but he's far better than you are trying to make him out to be. People on this board have such short memories. Only look at the bad and completely ignore the good a player brings.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:12 AM »
Duane is not tough to figure out. He has been relegated to the fourth option on offense(Henry, Luke, JJJ, and even haniff). Last year he was 2. He is playing tentatively and is pressing--look at how he is short on shots and FT's. Yet at crunch time, Wojo wants him to shoot. That is hard for a kid to transition to. The offense  relegates Wilson to stand around deep in the corner and maybe he will get the ball if Luke, HE, or, JJJ cannot get the look.. That is a coaching decision. If you are the fourth option, yet at crunch time, you are expected to deliver, it is difficult to deal with. Coaching. More plays should be developed during game time for Duane to bring out his potential. That is coaching. I believe that Duane's confidence has been lessened because of the way the offense is structured. I have no problem with the offense structured around HE, but since he is gone after this year, more plays should be developed for Wilson. That will not happen with Wojo. He has put all his eggs in the HE basket. We are improved over last year, but we are 4-7 in conference. Time to try something different since HE is gone anyway.

A+,  the agreement with the family, to get HE, probably included just that.  WOJO  knows how sign one and dones, that's probably how it's done.  Who will be next year's one and done?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:19 AM »
Great game and a credit to Wojo and staff for having them right there at the end.  That being said (only because I want MU to be excellent always) we were out X and O'd at the end.  The inbound to Macura 3 with what, 2:30 left, was beautiful.  The movement had our guys twisted up like springs.  Hopefully Wojo can pick up a bit more of these skills (putting something on the whiteboard during under 4:00 timeouts that makes us say "wow" instead of shouting general platitudes).  If we can get some good end of game coaching I'm optimistic for the rest of the season (and beyond).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 03:26:31 AM »
Dear God. The kid is shooting 35% from three and has 20 more three pointers than anyone else on this team (and that's without today's 4-6 performance). What more does he have to do to be considered a good three point shooter? He's not elite but he's far better than you are trying to make him out to be. People on this board have such short memories. Only look at the bad and completely ignore the good a player brings.
I don't understand why Duane takes such heat .  He is having a very productive year and we would be in a bad position without him. When the game is on the line , he is one of the guys I want to see with the ball.  We need multiple offensive threats and he consistently gives us one.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 03:38:32 AM »
Get them next time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:40:11 AM by Mutaman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:55 AM »
I don't understand why Duane takes such heat .  He is having a very productive year and we would be in a bad position without him. When the game is on the line , he is one of the guys I want to see with the ball.  We need multiple offensive threats and he consistently gives us one.

Just another guy who doesn't measure up to outsized expectations. The problem are the expectations. Not Duane.

Same thing that Vander dealt with here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 07:09:03 AM »
Truer words rarely spoken.    Honestly, this ridiculously young team went toe-to-toe for 37 minutes against a top 10 team in their gym and people are critical.   I continue to be astounded by that attitude.   This team is making tremendous strides.    They are growing right in front of our eyes.    Put the process isn't a given, isn't linear, and isn't always pretty.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
Great game and a credit to Wojo and staff for having them right there at the end.  That being said (only because I want MU to be excellent always) we were out X and O'd at the end.  The inbound to Macura 3 with what, 2:30 left, was beautiful.  The movement had our guys twisted up like springs.  Hopefully Wojo can pick up a bit more of these skills (putting something on the whiteboard during under 4:00 timeouts that makes us say "wow" instead of shouting general platitudes).  If we can get some good end of game coaching I'm optimistic for the rest of the season (and beyond).

That's it, Wojo needs to improve his whiteboard skills! Say something that wows me when the camera happens to be recording him.

You are a moron.

connie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »
Just another guy who doesn't measure up to outsized expectations. The problem are the expectations. Not Duane.

Same thing that Vander dealt with here.
The erratic nature of our play doesn't help with the expectations or the frustration.  These do not change the fact that we are still a young team.  We are not as talented as some want to think, and we are missing some pieces.  The team that played so well for at Xavier for 37 minutes is the same team that didn't even show up for Iowa and got abused in the second half at Seton Hall. They are also the same team that won at Providence. Let's hope they learn and give a strong finish.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 08:18:17 AM »
Post game story from Cincinnati.  Two interesting tidbits:  10 NBA scouts there to see Henry, and Farr had knee and hamstring issues suffered in the DePaul game.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/2016/02/06/no-6-xavier-rallies-past-marquette-moves-21-2/79618584/

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
I do think Wojo did a good job getting them ready to play this game. They certainly responded well after the Seton Hall drubbing. Wojo should be praised fro that. I recognize that a young team will do things to beat them. I also think Xavier fans should be a little bit worried. Xavier was good enough to win their last two games against St. john's and MU, after having those teams beat them for most of the game. It is a sign that Xavier is not playing as good as they should be. Having praise Wojo for his pregame preparation, I do not think he did a good job during the game. Xavier several times scored on designed plays coming after timeouts. Clearly, Mack outcoached Wojo during the game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »

wat. He's sporting a 53.6% eFG% this season and is a 69.3% career FT shooter. 52.8% eFG% in BEast play, including 37.7% 3FG.

Duane's shooting 52.8% eFG in BEast play.. who has shot better? Luke at 56.1% b/c of where he shoots from and JjJ at 55.9%... Haany is sub-48%.. HE 46%.. Traci.. 48% and only 36% 2FG
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.