[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great effort MU  (Read 10449 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Great effort MU
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Besides sitting Ellenson the other thing that ended the game was back to back threes by Macura. The first one out of the time out, the announcers said it was a well designed play by Mack. A well design play does not work unless the other team's coach is sleeping during the timeout. At this time of the season all of the opponents are well scouted. Wojo should of have the team prepared for that play. No way there should be a wide open three for a three point shooter on an inbounds pass. Then the next time down the floor they leave him open again. That one is on the players.

brandx

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
The refs waited about 4 seconds to call the jump ball and then there was 1 second on the shot clock and the shot clock operater started the clock before we inbounded the ball and Fischer s shot was no good.

In other words, MU got screwed on that play.

No.

Edit: Sorry Airpunch - you said the same thing.
We don't know how much time was on the clock. Could have been anywhere from .1 seconds to 1 second. Considering the clock went to zero almost immediately after the ball touched Luke's hands, I'm guessing there were only one or two tenths of a second actually left on the shot clock.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
Besides sitting Ellenson the other thing that ended the game was back to back threes by Macura. The first one out of the time out, the announcers said it was a well designed play by Mack. A well design play does not work unless the other team's coach is sleeping during the timeout. At this time of the season all of the opponents are well scouted. Wojo should of have the team prepared for that play. No way there should be a wide open three for a three point shooter on an inbounds pass. Then the next time down the floor they leave him open again. That one is on the players.

I actually think the first one was on the players as well. I should probably look at it again, but as it replays in my suspect memory, there were three MU players bunched up and 1 screener for Xavier. Seemed as though all three MU players were expecting one of the others to close out. Apper d to be a case of very poor communication.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
No.

We don't know how much time was on the clock. Could have been anywhere from .1 seconds to 1 second. Considering the clock went to zero almost immediately after the ball touched Luke's hands, I'm guessing there were only one or two tenths of a second actually left on the shot clock.

Correct. Absolutely nothing wrong with that play as far as the refs were concerned. Go that deep in the clock on a possession and you get what you get. Was good D.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
When MU wins the BE Tournament we'll look back on this one as the switch being flipped  8-)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
That's just silly. That's like saying MU's 17-1 run was the result of whomever missed Xavier's last shot prior to it starting. Do you remember that shot? me neither.

My memory isn't so good, but I  don't even think Xavier scored off of the miss. I believe there was a dead ball, at which time Ellenson and Carter were removed.  That was the mistake  that led to the 8-0 run, from which MU never fully recovered.
I don't recall if it led to a score.  But the momentum changed big time right there.  Crowd got going. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
Bring out the BAN HAMMER! (Doesn't someone have that gif)

I got you brother

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »
I don't recall if it led to a score.  But the momentum changed big time right there.  Crowd got going.
Went back and re-watched this part of the game on DVR.

MU had scored on 6 straight possessions prior to Traci's air ball with about 12 left on the shot clock.  After his shot, X scored on three straight possessions, going from down 4 to up 2 in about 40 seconds of game time.  It was a bad shot after a great stretch of offensive execution, in which Henry and JJJ were controlling the game.   

Definitely started the X run, definitely what got the crowd into the game.  Go back and watch if you can. 

Henry wasn't on the court for the bad possession that ended with Traci's shot, so feel free to question that substitution.  Traci was yanked immediately after at the dead ball with 8 minutes left. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »
No.

Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.  Maybe he'd have gotten the shot off in time; maybe not.  But he never had a chance with the clock showing 0 before he touched it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
Most importantly, Luke hit an 18 foot jumper!    Two in two games!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.  Maybe he'd have gotten the shot off in time; maybe not.  But he never had a chance with the clock showing 0 before he touched it.
I did not notice that the clock started before he touched it. However, the announcers were saying before it was inbounded that we only had time to tip it. Therefore, the idea that Luke could catch and shoot it was going against what the experience observers were saying.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.

It didnt

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
I did not notice that the clock started before he touched it. However, the announcers were saying before it was inbounded that we only had time to tip it. Therefore, the idea that Luke could catch and shoot it was going against what the experience observers were saying.

In the NBA, I'm pretty sure the rule allows the possibility of a catch and shoot if there is at least 0.4 seconds left.  I don't know if there is an actual rule on this in the NCAA, but if you're quick, it certainly is possible to get a shot off in less than a second.

I have no idea if there would have been even too little time for a catch and shoot (i.e., if there was 0.3 or less), but the part that upset me was seeing the shot clock hit zero before Luke touched it.

Anyway, time to move on....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
It didnt

Disagree.  I rewatched the play a few times in slo-mo (damn HD DVR), and my eyes say it did.

Again, moving on....

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
and now unfortunately the Providence win isnt helping us as the season goes on....We gotta sweep em.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
The game turned when Wojo took Ellenson out with a little over 8 minutes to go and kept him on the bench until we were down.

Would you have liked him to not take him out?  He was gassed and that was the normal substitution pattern  He could have left him in, and then 2 to 3 minutes the same result happens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »

Is it really this black and white for you?  Are you saying a well designed play can't work unless the other coach some how messes things up?  It can't be the players don't execute properly?  It can't be that it was just a well designed play against a good defensive set but succeeded?  So on so forth.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
Would you have liked him to not take him out?  He was gassed and that was the normal substitution pattern  He could have left him in, and then 2 to 3 minutes the same result happens.
True, but the lead might have grown from the 63-57 score when he went out at the 8:53 mark.  Before MU called time out at the 7:14 mark we were down 63-65. But, damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Personally, I would have left him in till the next media timeout or at least call timeout with the score at 63-61.  An unfortunate sequence.  Wonder if Wojo would do differently in retrospect?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »
True, but the lead might have grown from the 63-57 score when he went out at the 8:53 mark.  Before MU called time out at the 7:14 mark we were down 63-65. But, damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Personally, I would have left him in till the next media timeout or at least call timeout with the score at 63-61.  An unfortunate sequence.  Wonder if Wojo would do differently in retrospect?

That's what just about any coach at any level that has a media timeout does towards the end of the game with his star player.  High level college, NBA, etc.  Instead of giving your star player just the 90ish seconds (not exactly sure how long media timeouts are) to take a breather before heading back out on the court for the home stretch, you give him an extra maybe 2-3 minutes of real time (if there are stoppages before the media timeout, plus it usually won't stop right at 8:00) to get that breather.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback