Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Great effort MU  (Read 10443 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Great effort MU
« on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
Loved our kids' effort today.  A few ill-advised plays, but showed a lot of heart against a top 10 team.

The clock snafu on Luke's shot on the inbounds really hurt.

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Great effort MU
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:04:55 PM »
Agreed. Xavier played a very good game today. Our guys hung right with them.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
Hard to be mad at grinding like that on the road

But it's frustrating just not being able to fully put them together. We play with leads for long periods but inevitably lose them.

Macura goes 7/8 smh
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
What happened witht the shot clock on that play? Listening on radio.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
This team doesn't quit. We gave Xavier everything they could handle. Love to see that. As a fan, I want to see them turn that effort into wins. But I know they're learning what it takes. Too many turnovers today.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
Great effort. If MU could shoot, they'd be dangerous

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
Absolutely. Impressed by their effort and a confidence-builder going forward. Stings though. Pretty bad.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »

Clock hit 0 before the ball even hit Luke's hands.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

The refs waited about 4 seconds to call the jump ball and then there was 1 second on the shot clock and the shot clock operater started the clock before we inbounded the ball and Fischer s shot was no good.

In other words, MU got screwed on that play.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »

The ref waited about 2 seconds to call the jump ball.  Should have been at least 2 seconds on the shot clock when he blew the whistle. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 01:08:35 PM »

+1
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Fire Wojo.  These freshman should be better.

I don't need teal, do I?

We have a lot to look forward to.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
Great effort. If MU could shoot, they'd be dangerous

Shooting was not the problem today. Not even close. MU shot 54.7% from the field (excellent), 52.9% from 3-point land (outstanding), and 71.4% from the stripe (good).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
Great game!  My son and I were listening in car and ended up pulling over to a diner in middle of nowhere to watch on my iPhone.

Played like Warriors today against a damn good team

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
The refs waited about 4 seconds to call the jump ball and then there was 1 second on the shot clock and the shot clock operater started the clock before we inbounded the ball and Fischer s shot was no good.

That caused me to vomit….nothing like a home time keeper.    But, it was a great game.  Our bigs were awesome…our guards were maddenly inconsistent…way too many turnovers and got absolutely scorched trying to play defense on the drive or on the perimeter.   

This game gave me both hope for the future and heartburn for letting one slip away we could have won.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

How in the world is that not reviewable?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Shooting was not the problem today. Not even close. MU shot 54.7% from the field (excellent), 52.9% from 3-point land (outstanding), and 71.4% from the stripe (good).

Totally agreed.  And a solid rebounding game until the end.  Turnovers must be next goal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:32 PM »
They started the shot clock before Luke got the ball.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
Yea, played great for 35 minutes but needed at least 38. Completely took Farr out of the game, he didnt do anything today. If they don't go absolutely mental from 3 that's a 10 point win for MU.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 01:14:58 PM »
How in the world is that not reviewable?

I'm not sure but I would say that because there is no decimal on the shot clock (I don't think). 1 could be 1 or 1 could be .1. It just says 1 and then went to 0 quickly.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
Really great play against the number 6 team in the country on a road game. I hope they can start putting games like that together against the lower tier teams of the BEast. Maximum effort in every game, not just against top 20 opponents.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
Another moral victory for the team that spends the fourth most on basketball in the NCAA! Way to go guys, pat on the back. Maybe a few more years under Wojohousekey and the Golden Eagles will make some noise in the NIT? Or is that asking too much for $12 million dollars per year? GREAT EFFORT. Not per dollar, but I guess if you pretend like we have the budget of Coach Taylor and the East Dillon Panthers, losing to Xavier by only eight isn't too bad. Hey, for $12 million, Marquette didn't lose by as much as Vegas said, and that right there is a moral victory in my book. And let's not forget, nobody on the basketball team has raped anyone yet this year!

Please take your comments 60 mIles to the west, thanks.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »
Another moral victory for the team that spends the fourth most on basketball in the NCAA! Way to go guys, pat on the back. Maybe a few more years under Wojohousekey and the Golden Eagles will make some noise in the NIT? Or is that asking too much for $12 million dollars per year? GREAT EFFORT. Not per dollar, but I guess if you pretend like we have the budget of Coach Taylor and the East Dillon Panthers, losing to Xavier by only eight isn't too bad. Hey, for $12 million, Marquette didn't lose by as much as Vegas said, and that right there is a moral victory in my book. And let's not forget, nobody on the basketball team has raped anyone yet this year!

Will your former head coach be the father figure his illegitimate child needs and deserves in his life or will that fall on the guy 50 years his younger who is dating the woman he knocked up?  Just wondering.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
They still don't know each others tendencies well enough not to kick the ball all over the gym.
20 turnovers and you may not beat DePaul at home, not many games left.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

You sicken me. Yes, it's frustrating to have a game like this and end up losing it like we did, but throwing a tantrum and saying crap like this just doesn't fly with me.

Get your attitude readjusted and come back and contribute something worth while.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 01:21:26 PM »
Yes, good effort. But its still a loss. Right now 2 of their 4 wins are against bottom dweller St. John's, 2-7 against everyone else.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
Yes, good effort. But its still a loss. Right now 2 of their 4 wins are against bottom dweller St. John's, 2-7 against everyone else.

This is sort of how I see it, too. But I mean, my hopes for making any sort of tournament kind of died after that loss to Seton Hall on Wed. And considering I was thinking this game wouldn't be close, especially if X played well, this was a delightful surprise.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
The game turned when Wojo took Ellenson out with a little over 8 minutes to go and kept him on the bench until we were down.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:26 PM »
How bad will this team be next year without Ellenson?  REALLY REALLY BAD.

And it will cost $12-15 million. Can't wait for that news release from the NY Times.

How much does your basketball program to have the lowest graduation rate of all schools in the NCAA Tournament?  Just curious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
Bring out the BAN HAMMER! (Doesn't someone have that gif)

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
Wilson had 7 tos and 16 points, a real wash. Who was watching Macura rain 3s wide open? Haney
and Cohen played fine.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
The game turned when Wojo took Ellenson out with a little over 8 minutes to go and kept him on the bench until we were down.

My thoughts exactly, though I take it step further...he took Carter out at the same time. Was a huge mistake. Went ffrom 6 up, to 2 down in a minute. Offense can't function. Were  outscored by 14 from that point.  Coach needs to figure it out. For all the scoring Cheetham did, he added 1 asst.,  5 TOs and 5 fouls - negating much of his scoring. Carter, had 7 asst and 2 TOs. He needs to play more. The Cheetham PG experience is not working. I think Wojo has mishandled the PT distribution/substitutions of Carter and Cheetham (and to some extent Wilson) all season.

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
Turning point was stupid alley-oop attempt with game tied! 3 on 1 and we try that?

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
How many guys get their career highs vs. us. Macura, non-athletic shooter.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
How many guys get their career highs vs. us. Macura, non-athletic shooter.

Not really fair though since someone getting their career high usually means we are doing a good job at shutting down the primary options.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
Quote from: exercisevanity on Today at 01:16:15 PM

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
The key stat of the game is 20 turnovers. That's a killer. You just won't win many games giving away that many possessions.

Granted, Marquette plays an aggressive, driving, push the ball style. Seems reasonable to expect that we'd turn the ball over more than the average team. But we're dead last in the Big East.

We shot 55% (with a 63% effective FG% counting 3s) and still lost by 8. Cut down those 20 turnovers to say 14, and that translates into 7-8 more points. Chances are you prevent at least one of Xavier's transition baskets. Maybe you get an offensive board or foul out Bluiett or Macura.

Got to give Xavier credit. But not taking care of the ball took us out of this game.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:54:07 PM by Marcus92 »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
Turning point was stupid alley-oop attempt with game tied! 3 on 1 and we try that?

Susie, good call. That play killed my soul  :'(

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »

That was a killer -- first Cohen laid up instead of attacking 3 on 1 - then threw it away.

This was a good game by the team though.  It's the progress I had hoped to see this time of year.   HE is really becoming the man. Now need some consistency and play the same next week.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »
Another bright spot — Carter had 7 assists and just 2 turnovers.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 02:00:54 PM »
no, game turned on traci's airball from the corner.  X scored 8 straight and went from down 6 to up 2.  Ballgame.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
MU won three of the four factors including eFG%, despite X's hot hand.  In fact, it was the best MU eFG% game so far in conference play this season. That said, this was the worst turnover rate game-either in or out of conference-the entire season. Turning it over on 27% of your possessions gets you a 22-9 hole to dig out of. Hard to do on the road.

Great team effort. I thought Luke was outstanding putting Farr on the bench, but MU got away from getting it to him with all the turns which led to quick points on the other end, many of them uncontested threes. No double double for Henry but that was because X was hitting the threes. End of the day, curtains by their own hand which we have seen all year by the young team. 

They can hold their heads high. Let's defend the home court for two, and then settle a score in Rosemont to get back into this thing!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
65-65, Cohen on 3 on 1 break, threw it away.  Then he fouled on other end.  Big turnaround there.

Great rebounding effort today by the boys.

I'll take Cheatham on my team anyday, even with some bad turnovers.  He has balls and tenacity.

Traci of old came today, some terrible shots, just terrible.

Duane also, had 7 turnovers.

Hey, lets leave Mecura open for a three, or Bluitt........man can they shoot.

Can't win many games with 20 turnovers.  That was the ballgame, along with when Henry went out. 

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »

Maybe it is this observer, but it seems Wilson is never in the flow. When he is in there, he seems to be playing by himself. He had seven turnovers and one assist.

Has he become a "chucker" and little more?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 02:33:06 PM »
great game. Had our chances just too many turnovers. MU is a good team, just had things stacked against them this year being so Young and with the schedule. But I could also see this team surprising some people in BET. Let's rattle of a few in a row here.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
I didn't notice this as much as the final box score indicated. But surprising seeing JJJ played the least minutes of the rotation guys today (19 min) & he didn't have a foul.

8 pts, 3-6 (1-1 3P), 4 reb, 1 stl, 1 ast, 2 blks

He's been our stud last couple weeks

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
no, game turned on traci's airball from the corner.  X scored 8 straight and went from down 6 to up 2.  Ballgame.

That's just silly. That's like saying MU's 17-1 run was the result of whomever missed Xavier's last shot prior to it starting. Do you remember that shot? me neither.

My memory isn't so good, but I  don't even think Xavier scored off of the miss. I believe there was a dead ball, at which time Ellenson and Carter were removed.  That was the mistake  that led to the 8-0 run, from which MU never fully recovered.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »
That was a killer -- first Cohen laid up instead of attacking 3 on 1 - then threw it away.

This was a good game by the team though.  It's the progress I had hoped to see this time of year.   HE is really becoming the man. Now need some consistency and play the same next week.
The last few games Cohen has been called for a charge in similar type situations. I think he recognized that, but the pass was not a good idea.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »

This game was lost on turnovers.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
Besides sitting Ellenson the other thing that ended the game was back to back threes by Macura. The first one out of the time out, the announcers said it was a well designed play by Mack. A well design play does not work unless the other team's coach is sleeping during the timeout. At this time of the season all of the opponents are well scouted. Wojo should of have the team prepared for that play. No way there should be a wide open three for a three point shooter on an inbounds pass. Then the next time down the floor they leave him open again. That one is on the players.

brandx

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »

No.

Edit: Sorry Airpunch - you said the same thing.
We don't know how much time was on the clock. Could have been anywhere from .1 seconds to 1 second. Considering the clock went to zero almost immediately after the ball touched Luke's hands, I'm guessing there were only one or two tenths of a second actually left on the shot clock.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
Besides sitting Ellenson the other thing that ended the game was back to back threes by Macura. The first one out of the time out, the announcers said it was a well designed play by Mack. A well design play does not work unless the other team's coach is sleeping during the timeout. At this time of the season all of the opponents are well scouted. Wojo should of have the team prepared for that play. No way there should be a wide open three for a three point shooter on an inbounds pass. Then the next time down the floor they leave him open again. That one is on the players.

I actually think the first one was on the players as well. I should probably look at it again, but as it replays in my suspect memory, there were three MU players bunched up and 1 screener for Xavier. Seemed as though all three MU players were expecting one of the others to close out. Apper d to be a case of very poor communication.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
No.

We don't know how much time was on the clock. Could have been anywhere from .1 seconds to 1 second. Considering the clock went to zero almost immediately after the ball touched Luke's hands, I'm guessing there were only one or two tenths of a second actually left on the shot clock.

Correct. Absolutely nothing wrong with that play as far as the refs were concerned. Go that deep in the clock on a possession and you get what you get. Was good D.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
When MU wins the BE Tournament we'll look back on this one as the switch being flipped  8-)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
That's just silly. That's like saying MU's 17-1 run was the result of whomever missed Xavier's last shot prior to it starting. Do you remember that shot? me neither.

My memory isn't so good, but I  don't even think Xavier scored off of the miss. I believe there was a dead ball, at which time Ellenson and Carter were removed.  That was the mistake  that led to the 8-0 run, from which MU never fully recovered.
I don't recall if it led to a score.  But the momentum changed big time right there.  Crowd got going. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
Bring out the BAN HAMMER! (Doesn't someone have that gif)

I got you brother

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »
I don't recall if it led to a score.  But the momentum changed big time right there.  Crowd got going.
Went back and re-watched this part of the game on DVR.

MU had scored on 6 straight possessions prior to Traci's air ball with about 12 left on the shot clock.  After his shot, X scored on three straight possessions, going from down 4 to up 2 in about 40 seconds of game time.  It was a bad shot after a great stretch of offensive execution, in which Henry and JJJ were controlling the game.   

Definitely started the X run, definitely what got the crowd into the game.  Go back and watch if you can. 

Henry wasn't on the court for the bad possession that ended with Traci's shot, so feel free to question that substitution.  Traci was yanked immediately after at the dead ball with 8 minutes left. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »
No.

Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.  Maybe he'd have gotten the shot off in time; maybe not.  But he never had a chance with the clock showing 0 before he touched it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
Most importantly, Luke hit an 18 foot jumper!    Two in two games!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.  Maybe he'd have gotten the shot off in time; maybe not.  But he never had a chance with the clock showing 0 before he touched it.
I did not notice that the clock started before he touched it. However, the announcers were saying before it was inbounded that we only had time to tip it. Therefore, the idea that Luke could catch and shoot it was going against what the experience observers were saying.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 05:24:28 PM »
Agree that we don't know how may tenths were left.  But it was an error for the clock to go from 1 to 0 before it even hit Luke's hands.

It didnt

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »
I did not notice that the clock started before he touched it. However, the announcers were saying before it was inbounded that we only had time to tip it. Therefore, the idea that Luke could catch and shoot it was going against what the experience observers were saying.

In the NBA, I'm pretty sure the rule allows the possibility of a catch and shoot if there is at least 0.4 seconds left.  I don't know if there is an actual rule on this in the NCAA, but if you're quick, it certainly is possible to get a shot off in less than a second.

I have no idea if there would have been even too little time for a catch and shoot (i.e., if there was 0.3 or less), but the part that upset me was seeing the shot clock hit zero before Luke touched it.

Anyway, time to move on....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
It didnt

Disagree.  I rewatched the play a few times in slo-mo (damn HD DVR), and my eyes say it did.

Again, moving on....

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
and now unfortunately the Providence win isnt helping us as the season goes on....We gotta sweep em.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »

Would you have liked him to not take him out?  He was gassed and that was the normal substitution pattern  He could have left him in, and then 2 to 3 minutes the same result happens.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »

Is it really this black and white for you?  Are you saying a well designed play can't work unless the other coach some how messes things up?  It can't be the players don't execute properly?  It can't be that it was just a well designed play against a good defensive set but succeeded?  So on so forth.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
Would you have liked him to not take him out?  He was gassed and that was the normal substitution pattern  He could have left him in, and then 2 to 3 minutes the same result happens.
True, but the lead might have grown from the 63-57 score when he went out at the 8:53 mark.  Before MU called time out at the 7:14 mark we were down 63-65. But, damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Personally, I would have left him in till the next media timeout or at least call timeout with the score at 63-61.  An unfortunate sequence.  Wonder if Wojo would do differently in retrospect?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »
True, but the lead might have grown from the 63-57 score when he went out at the 8:53 mark.  Before MU called time out at the 7:14 mark we were down 63-65. But, damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Personally, I would have left him in till the next media timeout or at least call timeout with the score at 63-61.  An unfortunate sequence.  Wonder if Wojo would do differently in retrospect?

That's what just about any coach at any level that has a media timeout does towards the end of the game with his star player.  High level college, NBA, etc.  Instead of giving your star player just the 90ish seconds (not exactly sure how long media timeouts are) to take a breather before heading back out on the court for the home stretch, you give him an extra maybe 2-3 minutes of real time (if there are stoppages before the media timeout, plus it usually won't stop right at 8:00) to get that breather.