[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 79Warrior
[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT - Pitino crap storm coming?  (Read 10183 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: OT - Pitino crap storm coming?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
With the serious recruiting issues going on at UL, I'd expect the NCAA to come down really hard...on some mid-major like Old Dominion or LaSalle.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 01:51:40 PM »
Well, usually when a team self imposes a post season band, it is a ban on a team that has little to no chance of making the NCAA's anyway.

At least this ban is a real ban!  So often it is a complete joke...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
I don't feel bad for them at all. They chose to play for a shady coach who runs shady programs. If a player elects to play for a coach like Pitino, Larry Brown, Kelvin Sampson, etc then they have to recognize that sanctions may eventually be a part of the deal. They took the risk and got burned.
Sometimes you pick the wrong team and don't recognize slimy side. If he didn't do anything wrong, I don't blame him one bit for choosing to go to a top program in his final shot at getting to the tourney. He's 22 years old, sometimes you don't recognize a slimeball until it's too late.

It seems like 80% of the board finds Buzz slimy now, so shouldn't start questioning the choices of Jimmy Butler and others who chose to play for him?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »
Well, usually when a team self imposes a post season band, it is a ban on a team that has little to no chance of making the NCAA's anyway.

At least this ban is a real ban!  So often it is a complete joke...

Evidence must be pretty damining because schools only do this in hopes of avoiding getting what they really deserve. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 02:04:46 PM »
Sometimes you pick the wrong team and don't recognize slimy side. If he didn't do anything wrong, I don't blame him one bit for choosing to go to a top program in his final shot at getting to the tourney. He's 22 years old, sometimes you don't recognize a slimeball until it's too late.

It seems like 80% of the board finds Buzz slimy now, so shouldn't start questioning the choices of Jimmy Butler and others who chose to play for him?
I am not an insider and thought Buzz's faults were along the lines of being too ready to take chances on iffy guys (that could play) and had to protect some of them from their own bad behavior from time to time.  Is that what we mean by slimy?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »

Using the opinions of the collective "spurned ex" is not a logical way to judge a coach's sliminess. Buzz is in no way, shape or form similar to Pitino.

Pitino has been Slick Rick for decades. Sure, the guy can coach and just may lead your team to a National Championship...or his program may end up banned from the postseason. High risk, high reward. This time, the players got burned.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »

Pretty sure buzz is viewed as a different type of slimy.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:12 PM »
Lets face it we wish Marquette could be so cool.   ;D ;D

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
Pretty sure buzz is viewed as a different type of slimy.

There are three types of Slimy:

"Calipari-slimy" where the program is slimy.
"Crean-slimy" where the coach himself is slimy.
"Pitino-slimy" where the coach and program are both covered in muck.

Buzz oozes from the Crean-slime.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
Glad they didn't go to MU. We don't need no stinkin' crybabies!
There are a lot of cry babies on MUScoop after a loss.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »
There are a lot of cry babies on MUScoop after a loss.

Not sure you want to use teal there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 02:48:01 PM »
I did debate using teal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Exactly. Facts need no teal.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
So their program paid for prostitutes to party with and have sex with players within their program and underage recruits visiting the program and they self imposed a 1 year post season ban? Yeah, that right there is the definition of fair punishment.

I'm thinking jail time is a lot more fitting.

Yet, I'll just wait for the NCAA to champion Rick Pittino as the model of what we need in this game for "taking responsibility" for something going on in his program that he "had no knowledge of" and clap for the program, only to shut down some random little program for giving away 2 too many free tickets to a recruit's family visiting.

I agree that the punishment does not fit the crime. This is a slap on the wrist compared to what the NCAA should give them. Unfortunately, not holding my breath...though this one just might be embarrassing enough that the NCAA comes down hard.

On the bolded statement, depends on what you mean by underage. As far as I know, all the recruits involved were 16 and older. Yes they're minors but the age of consent in Kentucky is 16. One of the many reasons that Kentucky is the third grossest state in the union, right behind Arkansas and West Virginia
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
I agree that the punishment does not fit the crime. This is a slap on the wrist compared to what the NCAA should give them. Unfortunately, not holding my breath...though this one just might be embarrassing enough that the NCAA comes down hard.

On the bolded statement, depends on what you mean by underage. As far as I know, all the recruits involved were 16 and older. Yes they're minors but the age of consent in Kentucky is 16. One of the many reasons that Kentucky is the third grossest state in the union, right behind Arkansas and West Virginia

Leaving Hawaii out of that mix? Age of consent is 14 provided the partner is within 5 years of the child, and 16 otherwise:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/hawaii-age-of-consent-lawyers.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »
Karma.    And not nearly enough.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
I kinda feel bad for Damion Lee but at the same time he didn't even take an official to all the schools he said he would, so no pity party here.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 04:24:16 PM »
Can you think of any coach that gets away with more slime than Slick Rick? He only cares about
himself,that punishment is nothing and he pretends he didn't know it was coming. Bullmusk!
Loserville Ricky and Roy good ol boy Williams get away with bending the rules at every turn!

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »
Leaving Hawaii out of that mix? Age of consent is 14 provided the partner is within 5 years of the child, and 16 otherwise:

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/hawaii-age-of-consent-lawyers.html

Well, then. I'm not so sure that is something you should be an expert on. Makes one wonder why you woul know this very specific piece of knowledge.   :-\

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »

Chicos + Hoopaloop =/= 80% of the board

And considering Chicos IS/WAS Hoopaloop, that numerator gets cut in half

Still waiting on those squirm stories...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
Self-imposing a ban.....    I wonder if Rick ran a poll to see if he should self impose a ban?     Except he followed through.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Chicos + Hoopaloop =/= 80% of the board

And considering Chicos IS/WAS Hoopaloop, that numerator gets cut in half

Still waiting on those squirm stories...

Incorrect.  Have a nice day

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
     just wondering, do any of the players have grounds for a lawsuit?  let's just say, a few of them were there at

the time the "buffet table" was set up and now are going to miss out on the big dance.  if louisville would have

waited until after the tourney to announce their self-imposed punishment...what's the difference?  even if the ncaa

was going to spank them, it probably will take quite a while. and what?  this self imposed ban is going to cause

the ncaa to be lenient?   in the mean time, there are players there that are players truly missing out on a dream

don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:14 PM »
Self-imposing a ban.....    I wonder if Rick ran a poll to see if he should self impose a ban?     Except he followed through.

Well played.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 10:51:25 PM »
I don't feel bad for them at all either. They are graduate transfers, they have a unique opportunity in collegiate athletics that a small minority receive. They are basically free agents and can go anywhere. They made a poor decision in hindsight.