[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:08:05 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Golden Eagles need to look back to get ahead  (Read 1541 times)

MattVelazquez

[Matt Velazquez] Golden Eagles need to look back to get ahead
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
Golden Eagles need to look back to get ahead

As Marquette moves forward, it might behoove the Golden Eagles to take a glance back at Seton Hall. Marquette might recognize some parallels and glean both lessons and hope for the future.
Source: Golden Eagles need to look back to get ahead

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Golden Eagles need to look back to get ahead
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Well done article as always. Obviously not everything matches up but Seton Hall is a good comparison. Biggest difference is that our Burger Boy probably will go pro. Even without Henry though, I think this team will be even better next season. The foundation of this team is strong
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »
Well done article as always. Obviously not everything matches up but Seton Hall is a good comparison. Biggest difference is that our Burger Boy probably will go pro. Even without Henry though, I think this team will be even better next season. The foundation of this team is strong

The one thing that gives me hope is JJJ. Dudes gonna be a stud next year

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00:41 PM »

You must be dreaming, unless they recruit a PF.  Who is going to rebound, it will be worse next year.  You better hope Rowsey is the second coming...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
You must be dreaming, unless they recruit a PF.  Who is going to rebound, it will be worse next year.  You better hope Rowsey is the second coming...

If Henry leaves, we definitely have a hole at PF. But we could go smaller and space the floor better, more ball movement. And how much could our rebounding really suffer? We're a terrible rebounding team as it is.

That said, hoping for Bruno Fernando or a grad transfer PF.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
If Henry leaves, we definitely have a hole at PF. But we could go smaller and space the floor better, more ball movement. And how much could our rebounding really suffer? We're a terrible rebounding team as it is.

That said, hoping for Bruno Fernando or a grad transfer PF.

Right now we're a terrible rebounding team with one great rebounder.  Next year without HE or an adequate replacement we'll be a very terrible rebounding team with 0 great rebounders.  I think we will be better next year even without Henry, but probably not NCAA tournament good unless we get a true PF.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:50:52 PM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:24:03 PM »
Right now we're a terrible rebounding team with one great rebounder.  Next year without HE or an adequate replacement we'll be a very terrible rebounding team with 0 great rebounders.  I think we will be better next year without even without Henry, but probably not NCAA tournament good unless we get a true PF.
You really don't think Carter is going to take the next step?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
You really don't think Carter is going to take the next step?

I think Carter will improve.  I said I think we will be better next year even without Henry.  But not NCAA tournament good because we will be too soft inside.  We need to improve our rebounding significantly from what it is now to be an NCAA team and we're gonna lose 10 rpg from Henry without anyone on the roster to pick up the slack.  We need another PF.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »

Rebounding is but one factor in the game. Our shooting, defense, turnovers, depth, experience, confidence, and physical maturity will all dramatically increase. That can more than compensate for lowered rebounding. Plus, recruiting isn't over yet.

Rebounding is certainly the big ? for next season. If we don't get another big, we will need to really teach team rebounding and work on our players' physicality. I think we can manage if the wings Johnson, Cheatham, Cohen, and Hauser can learn how to be good rebounders.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
The entire team would have to rebound to make up for losing Henry. Might we see more effort from our wings and guards if they didn't have the Ellenson safety net to scoop up boards? I think we'll be better next year with or without Henry. We'd be better if he came back than if he didn't, but I think our freshmen becoming sophomores will make a big difference.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:22:19 PM »
Rebounding is but one factor in the game. Our shooting, defense, turnovers, depth, experience, confidence, and physical maturity will all dramatically increase. That can more than compensate for lowered rebounding. Plus, recruiting isn't over yet.

Rebounding is certainly the big ? for next season. If we don't get another big, we will need to really teach team rebounding and work on our players' physicality. I think we can manage if the wings Johnson, Cheatham, Cohen, and Hauser can learn how to be good rebounders.

I'm an irrational fan but even for me that seems ambitious. Hope you're right though.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.