[Today at 05:54:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rules Question...  (Read 1019 times)

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Rules Question...
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
So that super semi circle under the basket...  Isn't the rule that you can't give the offensive foul if the player is in the semi circle?  NOT, it is automatically a foul with contact.  If you have position and you are in the semi-circle, it should be a no-call, right?  I feel like I hear announcers say all the time something like "The player was in the semi-circle so its a foul".  If you have position, you should never get the foul called against you, right? 

Any rules experts, help me out...
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Rules Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
I don't think anyone knows what a foul is anymore just like how nobody knows what a catch in football is anymore either.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
I believe it actually means that a defender cannot take a charge in the restriction area. IE he cannot block the floor at the positioning. It's hard to put into words, but if a floor positioning foul occurs, it is always on the defender.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »
It is not that a defender cannot take a charge. It is that a secondary defender cannot take a charge. You are inside the circle as the primary defender, the offensive player cannot just wrqp his arm around you and push you away. Also, seems that a player driving in passes off the ball he always gets nailed with continuation, so I think you also have to have control of the ball if you drive into the circle.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
So that super semi circle under the basket...  Isn't the rule that you can't give the offensive foul if the player is in the semi circle?  NOT, it is automatically a foul with contact.  If you have position and you are in the semi-circle, it should be a no-call, right?  I feel like I hear announcers say all the time something like "The player was in the semi-circle so its a foul".  If you have position, you should never get the foul called against you, right? 

Any rules experts, help me out...

I believe your interpretation is correct, but the refs seem to be calling it differently. A lot of times this year, Luke has been standing there straight up and the ref calls a foul, then points to the circle to indicate it's because he was inside the circle. I remember a couple with Traci/JaJuan trying to contest a bigger player and it's been called the same way. So who knows.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »
What irks me is that an offensive player can be completely out of control coming in and if the secondary defender's heels are touching the semi-circle, it's a foul on the defense. It takes common sense out of the equation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:55:49 PM »
Last night it made no difference. I recall one time we got the call.
Otherwise it was a charge if we had the ball and a block if SHU had it.
I know, I know,I know it was not the difference in the game, but it was still annoying that the refs were homers. If we got half (40%?) of those calls we still would have gotten our asses kicked given the inability to get a rebound, especially offensive.

feedback