[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pray -- Will That Help?  (Read 3635 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Pray -- Will That Help?
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
This season has gone from hopeful to disappointing to less than anything I expected.

Yeah, I know we're young and all, but the only thing saving this winter from a total bummer in the Midwest is El Nino. We're Warriors. We demand better!

The things that we hoped would happen aren't happening. We have more talent than last year but the only thing that makes our record any better is a steady diet of early season cupcakes, sprinkled in with a crushing defeat by what has become the nation's third ranked basketball team. My God, even Tom Crean pulled one out. Even after we defeated the red rodent, he's doing better than us...!

I'm afraid if The Dude from Rice Lake leaves, we're doomed to yet another year of this!

As I said last night,when will it end? When? When When?

Holy Mother of Make it Stop... can You please do something????

tower912

• All American
Re: Pray -- Will That Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »
Playing in a league of religious-based schools.   Prayer is going to get cancelled out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »
Playing in a league of religious-based schools.   Prayer is going to get cancelled out.

LOL

But God loves the Jesuits more!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
He seems to be at the moment.    But MU isn't the only Jesuit institution. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
Last night sucked, but it was one game. This team is inconsistent. My guess is we'll have some more highs (like Butler) and more lows (like last night). Hopefully more of the former and less of the latter, but don't put too much panic on one result. We're still 15-8 on the season and 7-8 against quality non-con + league opponents.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
Agreed.  We lost last night to a good team.  We didn't play well.  But, it's one game.  We had won three in a row.  How quickly you forget.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
We have more talent than last year but the only thing that makes our record any better is a steady diet of early season cupcakes

Unless you think we are going to lose every single one of our remaining games, we are also going to have a better conference record than last season....so this isn't exactly true. Plus, beating the Badgers this season automatically makes this season better than the last one.

Last year's team had 10 times the experience this team does. This team is outperforming them. That should be exciting. Endure a little longer brother dgies. Bright days are on the horizon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »
LOL

None of our players are Jesuits.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »
LOL

SLU?

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:30 PM »
Seton Hall was favored to win at home, and for good reason. Would have loved to see us pull off the upset on the road. But it wasn't meant to be. This team is learning what it takes to succeed in the Big East. They played tough — but have to get even tougher.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »
None of our players are Jesuits.

I'd bet you couldn't even find a dozen Catholic players in the entire BE.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:20:29 PM »
I'd bet you couldn't even find a dozen Catholic players in the entire BE.

I'm sure there's enough walk-ons ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
Endure a little longer brother dgies. Bright days are on the horizon.

We must have done some serious sinning, us Warrior Fans. This is an awful long Purgatory.

Is this God's way of telling us that we spent too much time in Lenny's, the 'Lanche, the Gym or Haggerty's?

Or that some of us have to give back the Wells Street parking meters.

By the Intercession of St. Al of Brookfield, basketball coach and national champion, deliver us from this disease of losing and may our road be paved the stomping of Badgers, Demons, Irish, Hoyas and assorted other lesser animals!

jsheim

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
This season has really showed me what I look for, really desire from MU basketball.

Its that NCAA tournament bid.

Every disappointing loss I reformulate our path to the promised land and re-set my Hope-meter...all focused on that bid...L,W,W,W,L,W,W,W 1-1 BET...we're in!

NIT nah, better finish in conference than last year...nope, A good showing in the BET...don't really care....unless it impacts the holy grail.

I've been thinking that's unhealthy....even with the Bucks I root for them to just finish better than more teams....move up the ladder....even if they lose 5-in-a-row, a win makes me happy as a fan...I'm not so focused even on the playoffs. I root for Giannis to hit a jumper! 1 - 15 footer please!   :) ....little things are ok.

All I am saying is the Buzz years got me addicted to an MU bid and exciting unexpected results. And that's what keeps me going.....but when the hope-bubble bursts...what a letdown. I need to change focus I think.  Or am I just lowering the bar?

make any sense?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:18:00 PM by jsheim »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
We must have done some serious sinning, us Warrior Fans. This is an awful long Purgatory.

Is this God's way of telling us that we spent too much time in Lenny's, the 'Lanche, the Gym or Haggerty's?

Or that some of us have to give back the Wells Street parking meters.

By the Intercession of St. Al of Brookfield, basketball coach and national champion, deliver us from this disease of losing and may our road be paved the stomping of Badgers, Demons, Irish, Hoyas and assorted other lesser animals!

Worry not Brother Dgies. We are all sinners. Think of this not as purgatory but as a test of our faith. It was said that Job was the most righteous of men and he was eventually rewarded for his during his long suffering.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
Worry not Brother Dgies.

Thank you Brother TAMU.

My faith was tested once before. When I was a youngster, the Packers were very good. St. Vincent of Green Bay left for Washington. The Packers had a terrible season in 1968. Wisconsin was collectively depressed.

But faith remained. All throughout Wisconsin, bumper stickers popped up proudly proclaiming, "The Pack will be Back."

The Packers came back. After Coach Holmgren walked across the Green Bay and the Fox River. After the Blessed Ron discovered a quarterback, the Packers finally were back. In 1996! Thousands of the people who proudly displayed those bumper stickers were long dead by the time the Packers won another Super Bowl.

I do not have the faith, nor the insanity, of the average Cub fan. I'm too old and too wise. Plus, seeing the 2003 team get to the Final Four; the Hillbilly era teams make it to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 consistently, whet my appetite for the "olden days" of the 1960s and 1970s.

I'll have faith but St. Thomas the Apostle (the patron saint of due diligence) is probably my role model at this point. (By the way, yes I went to Marquette as well as Catholic high school)

"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 07:20:14 AM »

I listen to WFAN in NYC in the morning.  Back in October-ish, Boomer Esiason's co-host Craig told a story about him attending the 2015 St. John's basketball season kick-off banquet and the President of SJU gave the welcoming speech and blessing.  Something along the lines of what you said. 

Paraphrasing the story - "Dear God, bless and help us to play well and win.  We know all the schools we will play will be praying for the same thing, so however it is that you choose we ask that you choose us to win....."

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
LOL

Creighton
Georgetown
Xavier

All Jesuit

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
The board of trustees made a long term decision, we have to live with it.  We are a few years away from being really good, get over it.