Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Lets talk coaching  (Read 15109 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Lets talk coaching
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
It is hard to say what effect it has and of course we will never know. You have the starting lineup from the beginning of the season and you can coach to that lineup. How they are going to run the offense and how they are going to play defense. It is a team game so the combinations matter. Instead of having to teach the young players the basics, Wojo could have concentrated on maximizing JJJ and Wilson. I do think Wilson spent the first half of the season in a funk. I am not sure, if that was because he was not starting or if he was not starting because he was in a funk.

I don't know about the starting lineup, but I do find Wojo's substitution patterns mystifying.  Against SHU we were playing well out of the gate but he went to Cohen and Carter early and things turned around quickly for the worse.  Not saying he is wrong, but usually by February I have a handle on the substitution patterns and an idea of what the coach may do in certain situations with personnel.  This year I can't discern the pattern or the combos he likes because of the rotating lineups and continually changing combos of players he uses.  I got used to Wally coming in when the energy was lagging etc, then that doesn't happen, etc.  Part of coaching a young team, I guess.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »
I think the current starting team of Wilson, JJJ, Cheatnam, Fischer & Henry is the right lineup. Hindsight is easy. I think at the start he should of went Wilson, JJJ, Cohen, Fischer and Henry.

You know for the first three games he used this exact lineup except for Cheatham instead of Cohen. And Cohen was first off the bench. We didn't look very good so he changed it up and we went on a 9 game winning streak.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »
I don't know about the starting lineup, but I do find Wojo's substitution patterns mystifying.  Against SHU we were playing well out of the gate but he went to Cohen and Carter early and things turned around quickly for the worse.  Not saying he is wrong, but usually by February I have a handle on the substitution patterns and an idea of what the coach may do in certain situations with personnel.  This year I can't discern the pattern or the combos he likes because of the rotating lineups and continually changing combos of players he uses.  I got used to Wally coming in when the energy was lagging etc, then that doesn't happen, etc.  Part of coaching a young team, I guess.
We were up 7-2 when Cohen and Carter came in. Right away on consecutive possessions, as I remember it, they both threw up a three and missed. Late in the half Anim came in and immediately threw up a three and missed. None of the shots were even close.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2016, 10:43:45 PM »
We were up 7-2 when Cohen and Carter came in. Right away on consecutive possessions, as I remember it, they both threw up a three and missed. Late in the half Anim came in and immediately threw up a three and missed. None of the shots were even close.

Looking at the play-by-play now.

We actually were up 7-4 at the time of the substitutions. On the possession after the subs, Delgado made a layup to cut it to 7-6. Carter missed a 3. He then got a steal, leading to Cohen's missed 3. JJJ then missed a layup. Another layup by Delgado, then a turnover by Henry, leading to a SH free throw for a 9-7 lead. Baskets are traded before Carter hits a 3 to make it 14-14.

So it would appear that the substitution alone didn't doom Marquette.

We were down only 52-49 with 10 1/2 minutes to play when the barrage of SH treys actually doomed our lads.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2016, 01:34:48 AM »
Substitutions are  not the problem.  Lack of shooting talent and inexperience is the problem and substitutions can't solve that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:50:15 AM by vogue65 »

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2016, 06:30:49 AM »
Sandy's strength right now is defense. Can guard multiple positions, has active hands and he's a solid rebounder for the 2-3 spot. In most lineups, he's probably the fourth or fifth option on offense. Hasn't shown much ability to drive from the perimeter, but he's got a nice shot from outside.

End quote.

Since BE play started, the Chief has 2 (two!) offensive boards in the equivalent of nearly six full games of playing time. His nice outside shot has him tooling along at a clip of under 12% from 3-point territory.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:32:59 AM by mileskishnish72 »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
Why mess with the narrative?  Playing time is based on potential not results.  This team is the team of the future, not the team of the past.

feedback