[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lets talk coaching  (Read 15363 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Lets talk coaching
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Many of us are happy and yet we are unhappy with the job that Wojo and his staff have done so far this year.  Where does the buck stop with this team?  Who has developed as a player (outside of MAYBE JJJ), and on who does this fall?  Will anyone be held accountable?  Should it be the assistants?  Are our assistants anything more than former players that can't coach or develop players?

Tosadoc

• Walk-On
Re: Lets talk coaching
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:33:05 AM »
Having not sounded much on this board but is my estimation Wojo needs either a gray hair or no hair to help manage this team. Someone who he can rely on for some experienced advice.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:27 AM »
Physical development takes longer than skill development, and the former is arguably more important for this team. They have a bunch of guys with slight frames going up against men.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:37:07 AM »
It is a recruiting philosophy issue, not a coaching issue.   Tough to win with a small, skinny, team against big strong teams.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:49:11 AM »
It is a recruiting philosophy issue, not a coaching issue.   Tough to win with a small, skinny, team against big strong teams.
This comment applies to exactly 3guys Wojo recruited -Henry Haanif and Traci. Hence your comment makes no sense.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:38 AM »
The two guys that might have helped this team most (after missing on Lee and Miller) were Kyle Washington and Austin Nichols.

In practice, do Henry and Luke always guard each other? That's the only way for them to play against guys that are starter caliber in this league, and thus to toughen them up. But if they do, how do they get used to playing together?

We need another PF, not just for toughness in games but to toughen these guys every day.

The roster needs balancing. My worry is losing Henry and not adding a PF for next year. Who will be able to be that second guy banging with the likes of Delgado and Sanogo? And if we miss Howard, we suddenly have 1 PG, 2 bigs, and 8 guys at the 2/3 positions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

connie

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.  We were told that Wojo emphasized the rebounding disparity from the last SH game in preparing for this one.  Either the team doesn't listen, isn't capable of doing what needs to be done, or the staff that is capable of recognizing the problems are unable to teach how to correct the problem. 
I'm leaning towards "isn't capable."
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.  We were told that Wojo emphasized the rebounding disparity from the last SH game in preparing for this one.  Either the team doesn't listen, isn't capable of doing what needs to be done, or the staff that is capable of recognizing the problems are unable to teach how to correct the problem. 
I'm leaning towards "isn't capable."

I tend to agree that it's largely a young roster that's having trouble executing. But ultimately doesn't that fall on coaching? I'm always left with the feeling that some coaches would be drawing more from this talented--albeit young--team. With a little more grit and discipline, I really feel this team could have flipped a couple losses and we'd be a bubble team.

What's most concerning is not necessarily that we're losing games but that in many instances we're not even COMPETITIVE late in the game. That suggests there are problems all the way through.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »
I am also leaning toward 'isn't capable'.   Wally trying to contest at the rim was the problem in microcosm.   Wally is a tremendous, world class athlete and a complete gamer.  He made a very athletic move to rotate down and try to contest the shot at the rim, just as he has been taught to do by the coaches.   He elevated and...... accomplished nothing as the guy 2 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier didn't even notice.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 07:35:31 AM »
Wojo is an excellent coach.  Buzz had the three amigos with a chip on their shoulders when he took over.  Crean was 15-14 his first two years before he got D. Wade.  People who say get rid of Wojo reminds me when I was in Detroit and idiots were saying to get rid of Scotty Bowman because he didn't win the Stanley Cup his first three years.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:46 AM »

In practice, do Henry and Luke always guard each other? That's the only way for them to play against guys that are starter caliber in this league, and thus to toughen them up. But if they do, how do they get used to playing together?

We need another PF, not just for toughness in games but to toughen these guys every day.
wojo made a comment not too long ago that matt heldt beats on fischer in practice.  i think that's all you need to know.  i have probably been overly critical of his lack of toughness.  it is what it is, and he's going to play the way he does.  i actually thought he was as aggressive as i've seen last night.  we've watched a variety of bigs come through MU and some played tough while others didn't...and they played for the same coach. 

buzz had a few poor recruiting classes, guys transferred out, and when he left it messed with a few more classes.  i'm willing to give wojo some time...he wasn't left with much.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
Didn't see the game but this is a young team. Yes they need to be more physical. It will come with experience. Jae and Jimmy weren't physical enough to start with either.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
I think Wojo will be fine.  The problem is that we have a very young team being coached by a very inexperienced head coach.  Guys like Calipari and K can win with frosh and sophs, in part because they have been head coaches for decades.  Wojo is still learning.

Buzz was able to start winning more quickly because the core that first team was the Amigos and Zar.  Those four guys had more experience than this entire roster combined.

Wojo will be fine...with time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:11 AM »
I think Wojo will be fine.  The problem is that we have a very young team being coached by a very inexperienced head coach.  Guys like Calipari and K can win with frosh and sophs, in part because they have been head coaches for decades.  Wojo is still learning.

Buzz was able to start winning more quickly because the core that first team was the Amigos and Zar.  Those four guys had more experience than this entire roster combined.

Calipari and K also get the best talent in the country.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »

Seton Hall stared five sophomores with Kevin Willard as the coach.  Young team with an average coach, who has turned that team around. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »
As Dr. B mentioned in the SH thoughts thread, why haven't we tried to slow the tempo?  3rd fastest team in the conference right now.  Last in OR% and 9th in TO%, we are giving the ball to the other team a lot.  Seems we should try and limit the amount of possessions if we can't help the TOs or emphasize OR.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:46 AM »
Seton Hall stared five sophomores with Kevin Willard as the coach.  Young team with an average coach, who has turned that team around.

How did Willard do last season, when those sophomores were frosh?

And he had been a HC since 2007....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:15:26 AM by GooooMarquette »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 08:18:21 AM »
A team that went through the losing last year, went out and found a senior transfer who contributes and leads.    And clearly has spent a lot of time in the weight room. 

Just a thought, for those of you who played high school sports or have children who have played/are playing high school sports.    Can the freshman team beat the varsity?    Or are the juniors and seniors more physically developed?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:19:54 AM by tower912 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
Wojo's very first recruit, Gabe Levin, was a proven D1 Forward with size and rebounding ability. So it is not like he didn't recognize the issue. Unfortunately Levin flaked out on us and re transferred in the fall last year. Really lousy timing.

Losing Steve Taylor also hurt us more than many thought it would. I understand his logic in transferring and think he will do well next year at Toledo. When he was healthy he worked the boards hard ( I know some will point out he missed a lot of bunnies, which is true).

At this point we need to find a grad transfer or juco power forwards for immediate help. Has to be the number one two and three priority.

Also I think some of the problem will go away next year when Cheatham has a year under his belt. I like Cheatham a lot. but he is telegraphing everything he does. The other teams know it.  Never looks to pass and as such is a turnover machine. I think he will be more secure in his position next year and thus be a more effective team player. Right now he has a classic freshman attitude that he has to do it all himself. Needs to let the game come to him more. When that happens  we will be able to take advantage of our team quickness more which will offset the toughness issue .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:51 AM »
How did Willard do last season, when those sophomores were frosh?

And he had been a HC since 2007....

16-15, with 6-12 in BE play. Probably what MU might end up with this year.  That was the point, lets see what happens next year when Wojo has no Henry and no replacement and will be in his third full year.  Wojo will also have upper class men, so it can be done.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 08:30:19 AM »
Wojo is an excellent coach.  Buzz had the three amigos with a chip on their shoulders when he took over.  Crean was 15-14 his first two years before he got D. Wade.  People who say get rid of Wojo reminds me when I was in Detroit and idiots were saying to get rid of Scotty Bowman because he didn't win the Stanley Cup his first three years.
Not sure we know anywhere near enough at this point to make that declaration. I see plenty of reasons to withhold judgment on what he is as a coach...that being said I agree with the rest.
No Finish Line

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »
Also I think some of the problem will go away next year when Cheatham has a year under his belt. I like Cheatham a lot. but he is telegraphing everything he does. The other teams know it.  Never looks to pass and as such is a turnover machine. I think he will be more secure in his position next year and thus be a more effective team player. Right now he has a classic freshman attitude that he has to do it all himself.

He reminds me so much of Jerel as a freshman.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »
He reminds me so much of Jerel as a freshman.

he reminds me of a player that does not have high basketball IQ.  To many drives to the hoop with no place to go, because his game is flawed since he does not have
a jump shot.  It is either a crazy drive out of control, or a set shot for a three.  Once he learns to stop and pop he will be really good.  You would think after 25 games and coaching that he would learn to do something different.  Oh well.  Needs to add 25 pounds of muscle much like the whole team.  Hall was much more athletic, much
quicker, better athletes.  Simple to see.  Men against boys.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
He has a high basketball IQ.   He has never played the point before and he needs to get stronger.   

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »

It isn't if you are a very skilled team, like Louisville was when they won the national championship

feedback