[Today at 02:27:07 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by We R Final Four
[Today at 01:59:35 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Year #4 Position  (Read 7127 times)

nyg

• All American
Next Year #4 Position
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
There has been alot of discussion regarding that Howard kid and how MU needs a point guard, etc., but after tonight's game, and it has been fairly obvious all year, is that the team needs a power forward who can actually match up against some of these BE teams who are way more physical than MU.  Heck, they may need two of these type players. How they can't grab those loose rebounds, block out for others to score in the lane or play defense against these stronger players is just mind boggling and can't imagine the MU staff doesn't realize that now.  Be a total different ballgame if they had one now to go along with Henry and Luke.

Henry is probably gone, leaving no one to play the position.  No one.  Cohen has regressed so bad that he actually is a hindrance to the team.  He had an airball three, an airball from like one foot and made the worst play of the game when he went 1 on 4 and got called for an offensive foul when MU cut lead to three.  Wally is an energy guy, but should play no more than five minutes.  Anim is nailed to the bench, is probably 6ft4 and thats about it.

If they don't get someone, from somewhere, somehow and Henry leaves, its back to starting all over again because MU can't play small ball and survive in the BE.  Can't vision or even imagine a five of Fischer, JJJ, Cheatham, Wilson and Carter starting next year.

Lets hope the staff has something up their sleeve that this board is not aware of.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Next Year #4 Position
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:54:37 PM »
Steve Taylor was a huge loss. Average player. But extremely important based on our roster.

I want Howard.

But we gotta find some PF somewhere as well. Some how, some way.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
Wojo needs to find this generation's Bob Lackey or Maurice Lucas. Failing that, we will continue to get our asses kicked by muscular 6-8 people.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »
There has been alot of discussion regarding that Howard kid and how MU needs a point guard, etc., but after tonight's game, and it has been fairly obvious all year, is that the team needs a power forward who can actually match up against some of these BE teams who are way more physical than MU.  Heck, they may need two of these type players. How they can't grab those loose rebounds, block out for others to score in the lane or play defense against these stronger players is just mind boggling and can't imagine the MU staff doesn't realize that now.  Be a total different ballgame if they had one now to go along with Henry and Luke.

Henry is probably gone, leaving no one to play the position.  No one.  Cohen has regressed so bad that he actually is a hindrance to the team.  He had an airball three, an airball from like one foot and made the worst play of the game when he went 1 on 4 and got called for an offensive foul when MU cut lead to three.  Wally is an energy guy, but should play no more than five minutes.  Anim is nailed to the bench, is probably 6ft4 and thats about it.

If they don't get someone, from somewhere, somehow and Henry leaves, its back to starting all over again because MU can't play small ball and survive in the BE.  Can't vision or even imagine a five of Fischer, JJJ, Cheatham, Wilson and Carter starting next year.

Lets hope the staff has something up their sleeve that this board is not aware of.

I don't disagree with most of what you say here. But I'll counter on things I bolded.

1. Luke does that very well.
2. Villanova begs to differ.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
I doubt ther is a 4 available for next year that would make a big difference. You generally do not find those in the spring.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »
I doubt ther is a 4 available for next year that would make a big difference. You generally do not find those in the spring.

Which really sucks. The entire JUCO market has been cleaned up. Missing on D-Willks hurts badly now

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
I don't disagree with most of what you say here. But I'll counter on things I bolded.

1. Luke does that very well.
2. Villanova begs to differ.

Nova has: 

Ochefu  6ft 11 and 250
Jenkins  6ft 6  and 240
Reynolds 6ft 8 and 230
Hart      6ft 5 and 215
and the other players, Archie, Brunson, etc all better guards than MU.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »

I'll take anything.

If Wojo has to go to a prison and look at a list of soon to be released inmates and find all the ones roided out and roughly 6'8. I'm down. Take a flyer!!!

Cuz unless Henry shocks the world. We need lots
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
I'll take anything.

If Wojo has to go to a prison and look at a list of soon to be released inmates and find all the ones roided out and roughly 6'8. I'm down. Take a flyer!!!

Cuz unless Henry shocks the world. We need lots

as long as they're "traditional" right?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
Nova has: 

Ochefu  6ft 11 and 250
Jenkins  6ft 6  and 240
Reynolds 6ft 8 and 230
Hart      6ft 5 and 215
and the other players, Archie, Brunson, etc all better guards than MU.

My second point was that you can play 4-1 in the big east and excel in the conference.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
My second point was that you can play 4-1 in the big east and excel in the conference.

Yeah, I get it but NOVA does not really have 4 and 1.  They have Jenkins and Reynolds.  Put either of them with Fischer next year and this would be a moot point.  Hell, give me that freshman kid from St. John's, Yawke.  He's like 6ft 7 and thin, but plays like an animal.  My point is that next year, MU has nothing at the #4.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
My point is that next year, MU has nothing at the #4.

Heldt starting at the 4 gives me nightmares. I wish we had the depth to redshirt kids like Heldt/Sandy, ect over the last couple years

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
Heldt starting at the 4 gives me nightmares. I wish we had the depth to redshirt kids like Heldt/Sandy, ect over the last couple years

If Heldt started, he would have three fouls in the first five minutes.  Long way to go for that young fella.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »
Duke has been successful without maulers.  But that is the ACC.  Wojo is in the Beast now.   Wojo needs to learn and adjust.

edit:   sometimes, auto correct kicks my tush. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:11:21 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
Duke has been successful without mailers.  But that is the ACC.  Wojo is in the Beast now.   Work needs to learn and adjust.

And they are ELITE, best of the best, non maulers - second tier non maulers have no chance.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
our only hope for next year is grabbing a grad transfer at this position.

steve taylor definitely would have helped off the bench this year, but obviously wouldn't be on next years team

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
Duke has been successful without maulers.  But that is the ACC.  Wojo is in the Beast now.   Wojo needs to learn and adjust.

edit:   sometimes, auto correct kicks my tush.

To say the big east is any more physical than any other high major conference is hog wash, IMO.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
Does MJ have any more illegitimate sons for us to sign?

jsheim

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 02:21:48 PM »
Buzz seemed to pull recruits out of the woodwork....high value JUCOs and overachievers.

I'm wondering what will a typical Wojo recruited team look like? Ellenson is a-typical.  Haniff gives me hope... smooth...when he's a Senior will be one of the better Big East players.

When I think of Buzz's teams, I think of Devante Gardner....does that make sense?

Who will be Wojo's Devante Gardner?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 02:27:36 PM »
Just saw Jerry Meyer talking about St.Johns landing a 6'8 German PF for next year who is a top 50 kid.

Anyone know if Wojo has looked overseas?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
Buzz seemed to pull recruits out of the woodwork....high value JUCOs and overachievers.

I'm wondering what will a typical Wojo recruited team look like? Ellenson is a-typical.  Haniff gives me hope... smooth...when he's a Senior will be one of the better Big East players.

When I think of Buzz's teams, I think of Devante Gardner....does that make sense?

When I think of Buzz's teams, I think of Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, DJO, Vander,  two way players who would fight and claw and compete against bigger players.   I think about Jae dominating Andre Drummond.   I think about JFB shutting down Xavier's all American PG.    I think about DJO getting a long rebound and being a one man fast break.  I think about Vander's development in 3 years.     Will Wojo create competitors, junkyard dogs, angry beasts playing with their hair on fire?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

jsheim

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »
When I think of Buzz's teams, I think of Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, DJO, Vander,  two way players who would fight and claw and compete against bigger players.   I think about Jae dominating Andre Drummond.   I think about JFB shutting down Xavier's all American PG.    I think about DJO getting a long rebound and being a one man fast break.  I think about Vander's development in 3 years.     Will Wojo create competitors, junkyard dogs, angry beasts playing with their hair on fire?

DJO too!  He was likable. Like you said, loved his intensity. Hope he's doing well...  :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
As much as I appreciate DJO now, it is important to remember that he went through a couple of horrendous shooting slumps from 3.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »

Man, I miss those teams. The 2011-12 team was a joy to watch. Shame they had a bad shooting night against Florida.

And to answer your question at the end, I'd say it's doubtful. But that's more a product of the players background than the coaching aspect.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

I think this is unfair to Wojo. With Buzz, you have years of recruits to cherry pick. What about the top-100 guys who underachieved, like Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, Juan Anderson, and Steve Taylor? Gardner worked, but what about the project players that didn't, like Yous Mbao and Satchel Pierce? What about the point guard prospects that simply weren't good enough to excel at this level, like Reggie Smith, Derrick Wilson, and John Dawson?

Wojo has one recruiting class so far, and they're still freshmen. Matt Heldt could very well be an above average starter by the time he's an upperclassman. Sacar Anim hasn't proven anything yet, but who knows what he looks like in a year or two. And we've got Hauser, Bailey, and years of other recruits yet to show up.

Don't criticize Wojo because he hasn't found his Gardner yet. Buzz landed a lot of players that were 2-3 stars and only two of them (Gardner and Mayo) ever averaged double-digit points. Need to give Wojo at least 2-3 more years before we evaluate guys like Heldt and Anim to see where they rank on that list.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback