Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jordan Bowden (6'4)  (Read 11380 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
Jordan Bowden (6'4)
« on: January 31, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »
Noticed Stan Johnson is now following this kid + his Head coach & also director of basketball.

Bowden looks like a class of 2015 kid who is now prepping(?) at 22 ft academy. I couldn't find a 247/rivals page for him. It's the same school that MU target Darius Hicks goes too.

Anyone heard of him? Sorry if this has already been posted 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Jordan Bowden (6'4)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »
Long wing that is rated 3* by Scout. Somewhat unknown because he didn't play AAU ball recently, but has had big games against Oak Hill and at the Tarkanian Classic.

Offers from Eastern Kentucky, Southern Miss, and most recently Utah. Marquette, LSU, Minnesota, Florida, and Tennessee all showing interest.

Solid long range shooter, listed at 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan, and has some decent passing skills. This Scout article has some highlights, but whoever pieced it together added someone else's offensive putback at the end. Bowden is #1 in white:

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1634793-jordan-bowden-continues-to-open-eyes
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »
I will happily take any talented player who wants to come to MU, but MU needs 6'8 guys more than they need this young man, unless Wojo knows there is going to be a mass exodus. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
I will happily take any talented player who wants to come to MU, but MU needs 6'8 guys more than they need this young man, unless Wojo knows there is going to be a mass exodus.

I would agree. Bowden might be a nice, under-the-radar player, but this team needs size and strength inside. Bruno Fernando or a grad transfer big would be perfect to go along with Markus Howard, in my dream world.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »
Much appreciated Brew! Sounds like a talented young man

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
I would agree. Bowden might be a nice, under-the-radar player, but this team needs size and strength inside. Bruno Fernando or a grad transfer big would be perfect to go along with Markus Howard, in my dream world.

My guess is a grad transfer PF is a near certainty, assuming HE takes his talents to the NBA. Just hoping Wojo widens his horizons a bit - by all means go after the top 2 - but give some others guys a look as well.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsheim

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »

In the Buzz years he recruited such an eclectic bunch... generally 6-2 to 6-8, slashers and overachievers under the basket....Jucos...hardly any shooters ... Wojo seems so different. But I hope he has an eye for talents like Jimmy, Devante, and Jae.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
Bruno Fernando or a grad transfer big would be perfect to go along with Markus Howard, in my dream world.

Keep forgetting about Bruno. Just noticed Duke sent 2 assistants to visit him last week. Sounds like his recruitment is taking off

muballbuster

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »
Maybe a package deal with teammate Darius Hicks. I think we need Hicks more then Bowden.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
We have to remember a bit of a change in philosophy under Wojo.  Yes he wants great players now, and will try to get a PF to replace Henry and other great players who can step in.

But he is also going to recruit guys for two years out as well, not just trying to piece a team together year by year.

The key will be to avoid transfers of the B players while they develop. Since he recruits guys that also seem to value an education, I think we see less turnover and a little more loyalty. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
Texas & LSU watching Jordan Bowden tonight. UCONN was in yesterday to see him

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »
My guess is a grad transfer PF is a near certainty, assuming HE takes his talents to the NBA. Just hoping Wojo widens his horizons a bit - by all means go after the top 2 - but give some others guys a look as well.

"Near certainty?"  Grad transfers are not all that common. Power forwards who are Big East ready even less so.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:17:44 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 03:10:07 AM »
"Near certainty?"  Grad transfers are not all that common. Power forwards who are Big East ready even less so.

There were at least 30 of them last year (grad transfers). Wojo just decided to pursue the top 2 and lost out. Let's hope he broadens his horizons, because if Henry leaves, Sacar Anim and Wally Ellenson are your 2016-17 PFs, a position in which neither of them naturally play. There will be some PF type bigs on the grad transfer market.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:48 AM »

Agreed. We all thought we'd land two grad transfers this year and came out two short of that. While I think the staff will definitely pursue grad transfers if they have open scholarships, there's no guarantee at all they'll land them.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
Agreed. We all thought we'd land two grad transfers this year and came out two short of that. While I think the staff will definitely pursue grad transfers if they have open scholarships, there's no guarantee at all they'll land them.

Again, Wojo could have landed a useful grad transfer or two had he looked at more guys. There were more than 2 quality grad transfers, but my understanding is he only offered Miller and Lee.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
Again, Wojo could have landed a useful grad transfer or two had he looked at more guys. There were more than 2 quality grad transfers, but my understanding is he only offered Miller and Lee.
Not sure if you saw the other thread where we looked at potential options...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=50496.0

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 08:23:32 AM »

I wouldn't disagree. Those weren't the only ones we were after (Durand Johnson comes to mind) but they were very selective about who they pursued. Have we seen anything to indicate that would change next year? Say that Jaron Blossomgame and Jimmy Hall are the two big targets they go after and they end up missing on both. Will they go after guys like Bola Olaniyan and Brett Bisping just to add experienced bodies?

I think it's far more likely this staff would take a chance on landing a three-star freshman than take a grad transfer they aren't convinced would contribute. Maybe this season has changed their perspective. Maybe they look at 6'10", 260 pound former Pitt player Joe Uchebo averaging a double-double for Charlotte and think "should we have gone after that guy?" I'm not sure. We have a limited amount of information to work with, but indicators are that if they can't get their top targets (Carlino, Lee, Miller, Johnson, Rowsey, Nichols, Washington) they aren't going to take guys on just for the sake of it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »

You think that there will be more than two power forward grad transfers that are BE ready?  Outside of the two he looked at last year, who would have had significant impact and would have had MU interest?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 08:26:12 AM »

Let's also remember that the pitch to both would have been to play off the bench behind HE and Luke.

If HE leaves it'll be incumbent on Wojo to fill that void with a viable BEast starting #4.  Failure to do so could be considered a major recruiting failure.  It's not like this can't be anticipated.  I guess it might be argued that if Wojo is spending his time with wings/guards, perhaps he has an inkling that HE might be a 'stay' lean.  While there's no way any of this even gets hinted at publicly,  I feel certain that both HE and the Ellenson family care deeply about MU and want to do everything in their power to make any transition as seamless as possible.  HE might leave, but he won't let the program twist in the wind. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:51 AM »
Let's also remember that the pitch to both would have been to play off the bench behind HE and Luke.

If HE leaves it'll be incumbent on Wojo to fill that void with a viable BEast starting #4.  Failure to do so could be considered a major recruiting failure.  It's not like this can't be anticipated.

I think you're spot on in all of this. HE was ranked #9 on Draft Boards before he signed with us so Wojo knows the story and hopefully has been planning. 

I feel certain that both HE and the Ellenson family care deeply about MU and want to do everything in their power to make any transition as seamless as possible.  HE might leave, but he won't let the program twist in the wind.

Yep, that's the benefit of having Wally here, the Ellenson's in some way owe a small courtesy of their plans.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:31 AM »
You think that there will be more than two power forward grad transfers that are BE ready?  Outside of the two he looked at last year, who would have had significant impact and would have had MU interest?
Smh. I'll give you a list later today.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:57 AM »

To clarify, I am referring about two different years. Last year they really only went after Miller and Lee. They sniffed around Durand Johnson and Tomas Gielo. But there are a lot of guys that would have been helpful on this team. I can give you a lost of grad transfers and their stats later today when I get time. Brew has listed subsequently.

As for next year, our focus will be on bigs - won't really need guards. Who knows who will be available? But I am comfortable assuming there will be at least a few Grad bigs that will be Looking for a home and I expect Wojo to pursue them heavily. Maybe he strikes out again, but this team will be in horrific need of an experienced PF (again, assuming HE leaves) even if he isn't polished offensively. A big body that can grab boards. I would be shocked if we go into next year without a legit PF. Maybe Kalif Young ends up getting the spot, but if not, Wojo needs to widen his horizons on the grad transfer market. Shoot high, but don't put all your eggs in a couple baskets like he did last year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 09:12:15 AM »
When will mid-major / middling basketball programs stop letting their good players graduate before their eligibility runs out?  This has to be a topic internally with basketball staffs, slowing down guys progress. Not to be cynical but is MU pushing Duane to stay on a 4 year graduation track, knowing he could go somewhere else for his 5th year senior season?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 09:34:47 AM »
When will mid-major / middling basketball programs stop letting their good players graduate before their eligibility runs out?  This has to be a topic internally with basketball staffs, slowing down guys progress. Not to be cynical but is MU pushing Duane to stay on a 4 year graduation track, knowing he could go somewhere else for his 5th year senior season?

That has certainly crossed my mind, and I sure hope he doesn't leave.