[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A few charts  (Read 4457 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A few charts
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
MU remains very young

They are extremely inconsistent, both offensively and defensively

Right now, projections are that MU wins only one or two more conference games. Of course, this projection is almost useless because of how inconsistent the team has been.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

RJax55

• All American
Re: A few charts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Good stuff, as always.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »
MU remains very young

They are extremely inconsistent, both offensively and defensively

Right now, projections are that MU wins only one or two more conference games. Of course, this projection is almost useless because of how inconsistent the team has been.

I assume the Villanova game is when the offensive and defensive eff both peaked?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
Young=Inconsistent.  Thanks for proof of the young concept.  Add in that our experienced players are Fischer who really has now played a season of college ball, and Wally, and that says a lot

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
I assume the Villanova game is when the offensive and defensive eff both peaked?

Providence was the peak

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
Providence was the peak

Interesting, do you think that is a reflection of us playing really well, Providence playing poorly or some combination thereof?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
And .. what is the difference between a .9 experience team and a 1.8, where the average is?

Any correlation to offensive or defensive output?  Turnovers, steals, eFG?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
And .. what is the difference between a .9 experience team and a 1.8, where the average is?

I believe that is the available number of years experience per player on the team.

Team A has 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 3 freshmen they would have roughly a 2.43

Team B has 1 senior, 2 juniors, 5 sophomores, 4 freshmen they would have roughly a 1.85

I took a rough estimate as I believe that stat is actually used counting games played within a year and the numbers not just years in program.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
rough correlation, will have to do an actual statistical correlation/regression analysis when I have some time.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »

Any correlation to offensive or defensive output?  Turnovers, steals, eFG?

I doubt there is any correlation to Pomeroy ranking or any of the factors. From the chart posted by mu03eng, there doesn't look like a correlation.

There might be a correlation between experience and luck (inexperienced teams are unluckier). I believe that Dan Hanner has previously analyzed experience and found more defensive volatility for inexperienced teams.

Really, the correlation would be inconsistency and experience. But I'm not sure how to do that without calculating the variance of every single team's offensive and defensive game ratings.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
Microsoft Excel is a terrific program

connie

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »
I had my personal mubb meltdown after Iowa.  I was talked off the ledge by someone with far more bb knowledge than myself telling me to get ready because this was going to be a very up and down year.  I realize that DePaul holds a special place in the halls of incompetence, but people losing their sh!t over this loss need to calm down.  And now I have cool charts to back me up.  Thanks Sugar.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:02:06 AM »
I think the fan frustration stems from the fact that we literally have more Big East experience than these kids who are being forced fed. Now, that is experience by watching and learning, and not playing. We know coaches, veteran players and referees by name (and even gait) from years of watching. We know the back pick in the Princeton offense will lead to an easy Georgetown layup by the picker rolling off. Just like parents who don't want their kids to repeat the same stupid mistakes that they look romantically back on now, we can see the accident coming before it happens.

However, even patient fans want to see progress. Is the coaching staff teaching or screaming?  Is the spacing in the offense there even if the shots aren't falling? Are the defensive fundamentals in place?  Are the players recruited Big East ready?  With a young team and coaching staff, these things aren't typically determined with wins and losses, especially at the point in the season where freshmen hit their proverbial wall.

That said, in only one BE game has MU had a game where their offensive efficiency has been over 97, per KPom. They shoot too quickly for their talent into possessions as determined by one of the lowest length of possessions in the nation, turn the ball over at really high rates, cannot or do not go after offensive rebounds (so they can get back on defense), don't recognize double teams coming and thus don't pass out, have players playing out of position, and don't recognize matchup advantages very well--all at a very consistently mediocre rate. That my friends, has a lot to do with coaching and teaching.

And, please, let's also try to defend the home court. MU's best performances have all been on the road.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:09:30 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
I think the fan frustration stems from the fact that we literally have more Big East experience than these kids who are being forced fed. Now, that is experience by watching and learning, and not playing. We know coaches, veteran players and referees by name (and even gait) from years of watching. We know the back pick in the Princeton offense will lead to an easy Georgetown layup by the picker rolling off. Just like parents who don't want their kids to repeat the same stupid mistakes that they look romantically back on now, we can see the accident coming before it happens.

However, even patient fans want to see progress. Is the coaching staff teaching or screaming?  Is the spacing in the offense there even if the shots aren't falling? Are the defensive fundamentals in place?  Are the players recruited Big East ready?  With a young team and coaching staff, these things aren't typically determined with wins and losses, especially at the point in the season where freshmen hit their proverbial wall.

That said, in only one BE game has MU had a game where their offensive efficiency has been over 97, per KPom. They shoot too quickly for their talent into possessions as determined by one of the lowest length of possessions in the nation, turn the ball over at really high rates, cannot or do not go after offensive rebounds (so they can get back on defense), don't recognize double teams coming and thus don't pass out, have players playing out of position, and don't recognize matchup advantages very well--all at a very consistently mediocre rate. That my friends, has a lot to do with coaching and teaching.

And, please, let's also try to defend the home court. MU's best performances have all been on the road.

And what I find so distressing in these examples of fundamental breakdowns, is that bball ain't rocket surgery for goodness sake.  College isn't the first time these players have been taught the game, is it?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »

Whole post is right on.  The bolded particularly stood out to me.  I often see Wojo melting down on the sidelines over referees calls or lack thereof.  I think that reflects poorly on Wojo, and ultimately doesn't do him any favors with the officials as even though if they don't T him up on those reactions, they feel shown up.

A concern I have with Wojo, and any other guy who is the epitome of a try hard, gritty all out hustler is:  Do they understand nuance/rhythm?  I scratch my head frequently at Wojo's reactionary substitutions, and general lack of any rhyme or reason to his rotation/substitution pattern.  Was baffled as to why he only played Traci Carter 13 minutes against DePaul?

Traci, Duane, JJJ, Henry, and Luke is without question the best lineup for MU to play.  Cheatham backs up Traci and Duane.  Cohen and Wally back up JJJ and Henry.

connie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
I often see Wojo melting down on the sidelines over referees calls or lack thereof.  I think that reflects poorly on Wojo, and ultimately doesn't do him any favors with the officials as even though if they don't T him up on those reactions, they feel shown up.
MU was up 4-0 against DePaul and made a poor defensive play.  I think someone missed a switch and gave up a layup.  Wojo was airborne.  I mean both feet off the ground, knees up, arms swinging in the air and again after he landed.  The score was 4-2.  I don't mind passion, and there was no doubt this was frustration.  But at 4-2, this seemed out of place.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »
MU was up 4-0 against DePaul and made a poor defensive play.  I think someone missed a switch and gave up a layup.  Wojo was airborne.  I mean both feet off the ground, knees up, arms swinging in the air and again after he landed.  The score was 4-2.  I don't mind passion, and there was no doubt this was frustration.  But at 4-2, this seemed out of place.

Mike Deane disagrees!   ;)

But yeah.  As Dr. B wrote, I very much wonder about the teaching vs. screaming issue. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
Mike Deane disagrees!   ;)

But yeah.  As Dr. B wrote, I very much wonder about the teaching vs. screaming issue. 

Remember when we would be out of time-outs before the 10min mark in the first half with Deane?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
Microsoft Excel is a terrific program

A professor in grad school once said "Excel is the second best program for everything". There's always a better tool than Excel, but nothing is as versatile.

Related: Mexican food is the second best food for any diet.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »
Finally got a chance to look at some of this.

There is a small but statistically significant relationship between experience and offensive eFG%, offensive turnover rate, and offensive rebounding%. There is no statistically significant relationship on the defensive end. I didn't look at Free Throw Rate.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »
Put these on twitter

The following set of charts are efficiency trends (moving 5 game averages) for #mubb players. Helps to look at the trends for the season.

Post players - Luke is slumping, but Henry is starting to surge

Point Guards - Carter and Cheatham are both playing better lately. Cheatham is more consistent

Cohen and Duane - Cohen has struggled in conf play. Duane was improving, but has had issues lately

Last, the improved play for JJJ shows up. Strong run over the past 8 games for #mubb

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
Put these on twitter

The following set of charts are efficiency trends (moving 5 game averages) for #mubb players. Helps to look at the trends for the season.

Post players - Luke is slumping, but Henry is starting to surge

Point Guards - Carter and Cheatham are both playing better lately. Cheatham is more consistent

Cohen and Duane - Cohen has struggled in conf play. Duane was improving, but has had issues lately

Last, the improved play for JJJ shows up. Strong run over the past 8 games for #mubb

JJJ's efficiency trend over the last 6 or so games is really exciting.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
JJJ's efficiency trend over the last 6 or so games is really exciting.

Sandy on the other hand....might be a case where the statistics aren't as bad as it actually is

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
Sandy on the other hand....might be a case where the statistics aren't as bad as it actually is

Or maybe his talent level today cannot stack-up against BE quality G's & SF's.  I always felt this happened to Juan -- feasting on cupcakes and fading in the BE season. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
Or maybe his talent level today cannot stack-up against BE quality G's & SF's.  I always felt this happened to Juan -- feasting on cupcakes and fading in the BE season.

I don't think that's what is going on with Sandy at all....he's got a major mental block. Hoping he can correct it by next season