[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bilas on MU's Win  (Read 25037 times)

Carl Spackler

• Starter
Bilas on MU's Win
« on: December 11, 2007, 07:51:47 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3150475&name=bilas_jay

Weekly honor roll winnersposted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007  |  Print Entry
Bilas' Weekly Honor Roll:
• First Team
Tyler Hansbrough, UNC -- Completely dominant and leading for player of the year
Jordan Hill, Arizona -- Career game against Illinois
Dominic James, Marquette -- played every facet of the game in a win at Wisconsin
Joe Alexander, WVU -- 26 points, six rebounds and six assists against Duquesne
Brian Roberts, Dayton -- 28 points, five rebounds and three assists against Louisville
Leemire Goldwire, Charlotte -- 34 points against Davidson, 24 points against Southern Illinois

• Kohl survivor: Tom Crean and Marquette had a great win at Wisconsin and in the process, ended the Badgers' 28-game home winning streak. The Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry is unique and every bit as bitter as Duke-North Carolina or Ohio State-Michigan. It is clear that those two fan bases simply don't like each other, and for some of the fans, the rivalry has caused them to spew venom. What is equally clear is that those two programs should have great respect for each other. Bo Ryan has done a remarkable job in Madison to make the Badger program a national contender. Tom Crean has done exactly the same thing at Marquette, taking the program to the 2003 Final Four and having the Golden Eagles ranked in the Top 25 for a longer period than any other coach in the school's history. If you spend time with Ryan, you cannot help but like him. The same is true of Crean. Both coaches believe passionately in the way they coach and teach, and both will never give an inch. You don't have to like either one, but you do have to respect them, and you should acknowledge that basketball in the state of Wisconsin has been at the highest level since those two started butting heads against each other.

• Great road performance: Marquette's guards were truly outstanding against Wisconsin. Dominic James put up 20 points, five rebounds, six assists and two steals. Jerel McNeal added 14 points, five rebounds and five steals.

The Golden Eagles pressured Wisconsin all over the floor, forced turnovers and attacked the Wisconsin defense off the bounce. But, Marquette could not have won without great contributions from its frontcourt players, especially Dwight Burke, who battled the bigger Wisconsin frontline for 12 points, nine rebounds (seven offensive) and two blocks. Marquette actually outrebounded Wisconsin by seven and grabbed 21 offensive boards. The Badgers came into the game having outrebounded its first seven opponents. Wisconsin has had its struggles with super athletic guards, and it will have issues with the speed and athleticism of Texas on December 29. But, make no mistake. Wisconsin is and will be good this year. Ryan's crew is trying to figure each other out and also trying to integrate a new and inexperienced point guard into the fold. Trevon Hughes scored 16 points, but was 4-for-15 from the field with four of Wisconsin's 18 turnovers. As Hughes figures things out, Wisconsin will improve.

very nice press from one of the best studio analysts and color guys in the business. 

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Bilas on MU's Win
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »

Not sure Jay is right about Crean having the school ranked in the Top 25 longer than any other coach in MU history.

romey

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:28:33 PM »
I would bet money that he is NOT right.  In the 70's decade the only school with a better winning percentage than Marquette was John Wooden's UCLA club that one what was it 9 NCAA championships?  I doubt the Warriors were out of the top twenty five for much of that entire decade.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:36:58 PM »
I would bet money that he is NOT right.  In the 70's decade the only school with a better winning percentage than Marquette was John Wooden's UCLA club that one what was it 9 NCAA championships?  I doubt the Warriors were out of the top twenty five for much of that entire decade.

I'm willing to bet money that Bilas is right. Only due to the fact that Bilas was definetly using the Coaches' poll for that comment. UPI or AP poll and Bilas is wrong.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:44:09 PM »

I'm willing to bet money that Bilas is right. Only due to the fact that Bilas was definetly using the Coaches' poll for that comment. UPI or AP poll and Bilas is wrong.

He's wrong from the AP poll point of view:  http://www.sportsstats.com/AP/Marquette.html
Ludum habemus.

romey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:42 PM »

He's wrong from the AP poll point of view:  http://www.sportsstats.com/AP/Marquette.html

WOW - from 12/30/69 until 12/11/79 we were never out of the AP top 25.  That being said, does anyone know when the coaches poll began?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:52 PM »

That's what I said.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:49:58 PM »

WOW - from 12/30/69 until 12/11/79 we were never out of the AP top 25.  That being said, does anyone know when the coaches poll began?

It's been around since the 50's, but was published by UPI, at that point it was the Top 20. In 1990 it became the Top 25, and I'm sure that's what Bilas is going off of.

It's a shady comment for Crean.

romey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »

It's been around since the 50's, but was published by UPI, at that point it was the Top 20. In 1990 it became the Top 25, and I'm sure that's what Bilas is going off of.

It's a shady comment for Crean.

"statistics never lie" right?   ;)

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
if you don't get too caught up in that one, yet vital fact, then you gotta view this as a great compliment coming from Bilas. Now all we have to do is make sure we dont make Bilas look bad  ;D

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
if you look at ucla from 1964-1975, its absurd how many times they were #1. rarely did they fall out of the top 3, and never did they drop out of the top 10. In a decade!!!! thats amazing

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Bilas with more love for MU -- and a history lesson
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »
Bilas with more love for MU -- and a history lesson

Nothing spikes interest in a program like a signature out of conference win on national television.  ESPN's Jay Bilas throws heaps of well-deserved praise on Marquette in his weekly update over on ESPN.com -- which the guys at MUScoop used to build a history lesson for the MU faithful.   Check  it out.......this program has an amazing heritage.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2007/12/bilas-with-more-love-for-mu-and-history.html

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »

I'm willing to bet money that Bilas got that grossly incorrect statement from Marquette. It's borderline outrageous and it wouldn't surprise me if that pipeline of information passed through our head coach at some point.

Seriously, why is it that whenever there's a good feeling around this team or university, they freaking blow it up with idiotic things like this. I compare this to the George Thompson number fiasco.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
Another thing about this that irks me, Crean/Marquette puts this kind of misleading crap out there and it'll be repeated over and over again on ESPN. And why? Who is it serving? Marquette? Absolutely not! Our players? Nope. It's put out there for one reason...to build Tom Crean's resume and to give the announcers a reason to talk even more about Crean during Marquette telecasts. 

I am quite sure there will be several replies to this post claiming that "Crean wasn't responsible," "it's technically true," "PRN is blind with hatred," etc., etc.

But if you need a prime example of why there are many people (including MANY MU fans) that find our head coach distasteful, look no further than that Bilas article.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:16:41 AM »
Another thing about this that irks me, Crean/Marquette puts this kind of misleading crap out there and it'll be repeated over and over again on ESPN. And why? Who is it serving? Marquette? Absolutely not! Our players? Nope. It's put out there for one reason...to build Tom Crean's resume and to give the announcers a reason to talk even more about Crean during Marquette telecasts. 

I am quite sure there will be several replies to this post claiming that "Crean wasn't responsible," "it's technically true," "PRN is blind with hatred," etc., etc.

But if you need a prime example of why there are many people (including MANY MU fans) that find our head coach distasteful, look no further than that Bilas article.

you can make of it what you want. interpret it that crean is a self-serving a-hole or that he has been very accomplished in his time at MU. whatever your agenda is, you can interpret the information however it best suits your opinion. where is your evidence linking this misinformation to crean? its pretty easy to just make up claims online and have no evidence to support them.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 08:20:59 AM »
I thought PRN had turned a corner with his Crean compliments after the UW game.  I thought wrong.   ???

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 08:27:23 AM »

Cry someplace else.

We know you love the warrior mascot and hate the eagle. We know you love Al and hate Crean.

We got it. Seriously, we got it.

No matter how many times you complain about it on the internet, the mascot isn't changing back, and Crean isn't going anywhere.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »
I thought PRN had turned a corner with his Crean compliments after the UW game.  I thought wrong.   ???

I compliment when it's deserved. He did a great job at Wisconsin. But could he leave it at that? Of course not!

Do you really think this is just some kind of clerical error in the MU Sports Information Department? It's a spin job to make it look like Crean is the best thing to ever happen to Marquette. It makes me want to puke.

But, by all means, keep blaming me for this stuff. You guys are either completely blind or just consciously choose to live in denial.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »

Hol Cr*p PRN.  And its off the wall comments like this where you have no shred of proof and nitpick small insignificant details from a feel good article that makes a lot of posters here view you as distasteful and a hater of anything MU after the nickname change.  It really cuts down your credibility when it comes down to most of your other decent posts.  I can't believe a mature adult can get so jaded over a silly nickname.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54:02 AM »
I'm with you PRN and so are many, many, many who don't read these boards.  I've found in talking MU hoops with people, that your opinion is becoming more and more the majority.

The ranking suggestion is borderline libel.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »
this is more like espn self serving writing than anything else. why should they acknowledge their own poll since they have one of their own now?
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:57 AM »

Hol Cr*p PRN.  And its off the wall comments like this where you have no shred of proof and nitpick small insignificant details from a feel good article that makes a lot of posters here view you as distasteful and a hater of anything MU after the nickname change.  It really cuts down your credibility when it comes down to most of your other decent posts.  I can't believe a mature adult can get so jaded over a silly nickname.

A. I am one of the handful of people on this board with any credibility.
B. This has nothing to do with the nickname. It has to do with our head coach choosing to urinate on our glorious history and attempting to spin a good couple of years into the best thing Marquette has ever seen. If any of you had any sense of Marquette's past accomplishments, you'd be as dumbfounded as I am.

I ask you where -- in what city, at what university -- would coaches be allowed to re-write history when it suits them? Where? This is beyond this article. It's retiring numbers before players graduate, it's inflating attendance numbers so ESPN can announce the "largest crowd in Wisconsin state history," it's hanging banners for the CBE Classic. Where does it stop?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
I'm with you PRN and so are many, many, many who don't read these boards.  I've found in talking MU hoops with people, that your opinion is becoming more and more the majority.

The ranking suggestion is borderline libel.

Are you guys serious with this?

The program is at a level that it has never seen in modern day college hoops.

I'm not a pro-Crean guy, or an anti-Crean guy. But, I will tell you that I'm very pleased with the current stature of the program, and I hate the idea that people are finding things to get upset about.

Enjoy the program and the big win(s).

Take Bilas' comments for what they are and just leave the rest.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:55 AM »

No, no you aren't.

Re-read some of your rants.

I know you were/are a big MU hoops fan. There is not doubt. But, seriously, you bitch about EVERYTHING and don't really offer anything insightful.

I really don't want this to turn into another "internet fight"... but seriously, go back and re-read some of your stuff.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:12:17 AM by 2002mualum »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:34 AM »

No, no you aren't.

Re-read some of your rants.

I know you were/are a big MU hoops fan. There is not doubt. But, seriously, you bitch about EVERYTHING and don't really offer anything insightful.

I really don't want this to turn into another "internet fight"... but seriously, go back and re-read some of your stuff.

If you're re-reading some of of my "stuff," you've just proven my point about credibility. Thanks, though.