'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cities with 2 or more D1 schools that don't play each other  (Read 5603 times)

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
Cities with 2 or more D1 schools that don't play each other
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
Semi-random thought.  I have some UWM friends, that would always come with me to the MU/UWM game, now that we don't have one, really hard to get them to a game, even good Big East ones.

1)  Any other cities that have D1 schools that don't play each other?
2) Chances of getting UWM back into the rotation?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Cities with 2 or more D1 schools that don't play each other
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:21:50 AM »
Without looking up whether other cities have D1 schools that don't play each other...my guess is that MU would likely play UWM every year if it was a home game for MU.  Things crumbled when UWM expected us to hop back in their time machine.

Edit:  Georgetown doesn't play George Washington.  Creighton doesn't play Omaha.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:27:51 AM by GooooMarquette »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »
1. Many. DePaul doesn't play Loyola or Northwestern.  Boston College doesn't play BU or Northeastern.  (But they do play Harvard.)  I'm sure there are more.

2. I hope not.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
I understand the history with playing them and UWM's fan base in its own way is insufferable... especially if, perish the thought, we ever lost to them
imo I would rather play them and have butts in the seats, with a little something on the line, than snacking on a >300 ranked team

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
1. Many. DePaul doesn't play Loyola or Northwestern.  Boston College doesn't play BU or Northeastern.  (But they do play Harvard.)  I'm sure there are more.

DePaul has played Northwestern recently and will this year and have UIC and Chicago State on their schedule this year. Loyola did finish their season last year 24-13, if they do that a few more times, they might blip on thieir radar.
DePaul did lose to Loyola in 2012.  So probably never again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:11:37 AM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:23:38 AM »

2) Chances of getting UWM back into the rotation?

Bud? Bud!

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Here in Connecticut, UConn excepted of course, the other 6 schools have been playing each other in a round robin to start the season.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »
Rice and UH do not play each other in football or BB.

Both baseball programs are usually top 20, so they still play each other in the spring, usually at Minute Maid.

I dont know if TSU, is considered a D1 programs, but neither Rice or UH play  them in BB

Texas A&M 60 miles NW of Houston , doesnt play any D1 teams in Houston, in football or BB

At least in Texas.....I think the "not playing" is more common than your impression.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 12:12:07 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »
I believe that the five Philly Div I programs have a tournament every year, although I haven't heard anything about it in a while.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Not sure if Chicago and Houston are fair comparisons as they are large cities with multiple D-1 universities.  Omaha-Nebraska not playing Creighton is probably a closer comparison.

I am sure other mid-sized cities D-1 schools don't always play one another.  That said, UWM on the slate if we could do a 4-for-1 I still think is worthwhile.  What is wrong with this picture in the Big East today:

Butler vs. Indiana State
Seton Hall AT Rutgers
Georgetown versus the Cuse
Creighton AT Loyola Chicago
Providence AT Rhode Island
Xavier vs. Western Kentucky......

Marquette vs. Maine.  Weak sauce.  I know DePaul is playing Chicago State today but our non-con is weak compared to the rest of the Big East.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »
Not sure if Chicago and Houston are fair comparisons as they are large cities with multiple D-1 universities.  Omaha-Nebraska not playing Creighton is probably a closer comparison.

I am sure other mid-sized cities D-1 schools don't always play one another.  That said, UWM on the slate if we could do a 4-for-1 I still think is worthwhile.  What is wrong with this picture in the Big East today:

Butler vs. Indiana State
Seton Hall AT Rutgers

Marquette vs. Maine.  Weak sauce.  I know DePaul is playing Chicago State today but our non-con is weak compared to the rest of the Big East.

I don't think we complain enough about the schedule on this board.

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 12:32:45 PM »

Butler vs. Indiana State
Seton Hall AT Rutgers

This isn't a great example.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »
This isn't a great example.

Away game though which the committee likes.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
I believe that the five Philly Div I programs have a tournament every year, although I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Yea the Big Five still play each other. Sometimes the Philly schools throw Drexel and/or Delaware (~40 miles south) on the schedule, too.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
Neither SMU or TCU play UT-Arlington.  They do play each other, but that is their rivalry like MU-UW-Madison.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Neither SMU or TCU play UT-Arlington.  They do play each other, but that is their rivalry like MU-UW-Madison.
Yup.
 TCU/SMU FB is the Iron Skillet game (a 100 year rivalry)...names like Doak Walker, Sammy Baugh, Kyle Rote in bygone days....Pony Express, Eric Dickerson, Andy Dalton in modern times
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
Yup.
 TCU/SMU FB is the Iron Skillet game (a 100 year rivalry)...names like Doak Walker, Sammy Baugh, Kyle Rote in bygone days....Pony Express, Eric Dickerson, Andy Dalton in modern times

What did they do with the Iron Skillet while SMU was Death Penaltied?

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 12:44:55 AM »
What did they do with the Iron Skillet while SMU was Death Penaltied?
Looks like the original had probably gone missing by then....Guess SMU pawned it to pay their Pony Express payroll-lol:

..."Legend has it that during pre-game festivities, an SMU fan was frying frog legs as a joke before the game. A TCU fan saw this and told him that eating the frog legs was going too far and that they should let the game decide who would get the skillet and the frog legs. SMU won that game in 1946 and received the skillet and the frog legs.”

While SMU did win in 1946 by a score of 30-13, and certainly likely that a SMU fan cooked frog legs as part of a tailgate that day, history says it was more likely that the Skillet was a byproduct of student legislation.

According to a 1946 article from the Dallas Morning News  the “Battle of the Iron Skillet” was created in part to prevent “mutilation of school property,” due to the $1,000 worth of damage done to both campuses in previous games.

SMU archivist Joan Gosnell, a former professor at SMU, said that there are several notes and minutes from fall 1946 student council meetings trying to establish a trophy similar to Minnesota and Michigan’s “Little Brown Jug,” and that on Nov. 19, a student had purchased an aluminum skillet to be used as the trophy.

The two schools came together to help pay for the Skillet, and the winner of the annual game would go home with the trophy.

The tradition went on for several years, but the interest in the trophy eventually subsided, TCU Magazine reported. TCU color analyst John Denton wrote some fabulous accounts of playing TCU on his blog, and recalls that the Skillet was lost by the time he was playing in the early 1980s.

For TCU and SMU, the Skillet wouldn’t return until the 1993 contest, when a new skillet was commissioned to be used as the trophy. The original Skillet is still at large..." (ESPN archived article)

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 01:04:27 AM »
I don't see how either MU or UWM benefit from scheduling each other.

For MU, it's a mediocre win at best. Neither fan base cares enough to even sell out the BC. If MU loses even 1 in 10 games, they'll get goofed on for years. No thanks

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
MU plays UW. That's all that needs to happen.

Unless UWM wants to get paid $120,000 to drive their jabroni asses to the new BC, there should never be a series again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Los Angeles area has a ton of schools

UCLA
USC
Loyola Marymount
UC Irvine
Cal State Fullerton
Pepperdine
Cal State Northridge
Cal State Long Beach

UCLA and USC will on occasion play some of the others, but never as an away game.  Many of the other schools are in the same conference so they play each other.

I say, UW-Milwaukee should try to become a member of the Big East and we will be happy to play them twice a year, every year. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
I am sure other mid-sized cities D-1 schools don't always play one another.  That said, UWM on the slate if we could do a 4-for-1 I still think is worthwhile.

Definitely arguments on both sides of the coin as far as UWM goes, but right now, Marquette isn't looking for any multiple-for-1 setups. if they are giving up a road game, they want a high-major (or comparable) home game in return. I'm confident we won't see UWM or UWGB any time soon, and most likely no one from the Horizon, MVC, or other such conferences unless they are worthy of a home-and-home.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Los Angeles area has a ton of schools

UCLA
USC
Loyola Marymount
UC Irvine
Cal State Fullerton
Pepperdine
Cal State Northridge
Cal State Long Beach

UCLA and USC will on occasion play some of the others, but never as an away game.  Many of the other schools are in the same conference so they play each other.

I say, UW-Milwaukee should try to become a member of the Big East and we will be happy to play them twice a year, every year.

I think that its very mean spirited of you to suggest putting DePaul in the position to finish 11th in the conference most years.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »
I don't see how either MU or UWM benefit from scheduling each other.

For MU, it's a mediocre win at best. Neither fan base cares enough to even sell out the BC. If MU loses even 1 in 10 games, they'll get goofed on for years. No thanks

well, just win baby!!  i also see that we don't play the running "wardells" now of bradley-i hope he does well there
don't...don't don't don't don't

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
I say, UW-Milwaukee should try to become a member of the SWAC and we will be happy to play them twice a year, every year. 

FIFY.