[Today at 10:47:16 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by BrewCity83
[Today at 10:46:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....  (Read 16218 times)

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
Not some reason ... we have had many threads on this.

The Big10 took in Maryland and Rutgers so they could use their large alumni bases in the Washington and NYC TV markets to force/compel cable operators to carry the Big Ten Network (BTN) on a lower tier (non-premium) bundle.  Remember the economics of TV networks, BTN gets paid for every TV in that market (about 30 cents per month) whether they actually watch the BTN or not.

This is why DePaul was important to FS1.  They used it as leverage to ensure every cable operator in Chicago carried FS1 and FS2.  Ditto St. Johns and Seton Hall in NYC, Nova in Philly, GU is DC, MU in Milwaukee and so on.  The BE was important to a new FS1 as they needed "big city" programming to get on those cable systems lower tiers (or basic bundles).

Now that this has been established, DePaul's usefulness to the BE is based on their ability to raise the level and interest of the BE basketball product.  On this front, DePaul does practically nothing for it.

But using your logic, Depaul seems to be fairly responsible for ensuring that most cable operators in Chicago carry FS1 and FS2.  What is one of the flagships for FS1?  Big East basketball.  This means that more households in the Chicago market would have the capability of showing Big East basketball due to Depaul being in the conference.

Therefore helping to establish the conference in the market.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
I think you're forgetting that all those "big city" households already carried FS1--it was called the Speed channel before their rebrand.  Fox didn't need "big city" programming to get on those cable systems as they were already on them.

Not true.
Because FS1 was considered a "new channel" with a new scope of programming, the network had to renegotiate contracts with its carriers. Dish, DirecTV, Warner, etc., didn't automatically pick it up. Talks with many carriers went down to the wire because Fox was seeking - and ultimately didn't get - a large hike in carriage fees with the change from Speed to FS1.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Your 6,200 number must be tickets sold, not attendance. Either way, it is pretty pathetic for a high D-1 school with over 100,000 alumni who live in the area - and does not have to compete with its football team.

Well, yeah, tickets sold is how every school counts attendance. And, yeah, it's not good. But it's not "no one" either.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
But using your logic, Depaul seems to be fairly responsible for ensuring that most cable operators in Chicago carry FS1 and FS2.  What is one of the flagships for FS1?  Big East basketball.  This means that more households in the Chicago market would have the capability of showing Big East basketball due to Depaul being in the conference.

Therefore helping to establish the conference in the market.

Correct.

So DePaul had a big value in the beginning, it helped get FS1 on basic tier (bundle) in the third largest TV market.

But I concluded with this ....

Now that this has been established, DePaul's usefulness to the BE is based on their ability to raise the level and interest of the BE basketball product.  On this front, DePaul does practically nothing for it.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
Since the Big East's reboot, all but one team has been ranked at least once in the top-25.  Any takers on who that mystery team may be?

It's been over 10 years since DePaul Mens Basketball has been ranked.  With a new arena opening soon, and a new coach, there are absolutely zero excuses why they can't be competitive in OOC and in the Big East.  Zero.  For whatever reason, in addition to DePaul's leadership and administration, the Big East has settled on the Blue Demons being considerably below average over the years.  That should not be accepted. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »
Since the Big East's reboot, all but one team has been ranked at least once in the top-25.  Any takers on who that mystery team may be?

It's been over 10 years since DePaul Mens Basketball has been ranked.  With a new arena opening soon, and a new coach, there are absolutely zero excuses why they can't be competitive in OOC and in the Big East.  Zero.  For whatever reason, in addition to DePaul's leadership and administration, the Big East has settled on the Blue Demons being considerably below average over the years.  That should not be accepted. 

They've had no excuses since they joined the BE. 

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2015, 11:06:25 AM »
Well, yeah, tickets sold is how every school counts attendance. And, yeah, it's not good. But it's not "no one" either.

I think it is officially tickets "distributed".   You can give them to the local Boys Club and count it.   Very few schools are even close to actual attendance vs. tickets distributed.  We seem to be among the biggest violators when I look at the TV and see an upper deck 75% empty and lower deck 20% empty and then see 12K reported.

Depaul rarely has more than 3-4K actual fannies in the seats.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
Not even DIBS can convince me otherwise when he points to numerous locations in the upper deck that are clearly uninhabited.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »

Except when they are/were playing Marquette or Notre Dame.  I imagine DePaul's athletics revenue took a not-insignificant hit when ND dropped out of the Big East.
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2015, 11:39:51 AM »
Correct.

So DePaul had a big value in the beginning, it helped get FS1 on basic tier (bundle) in the third largest TV market.

But I concluded with this ....

Ahh, gotcha.  I guess I misunderstood your part "On this front...".  The proximity of that statement to "Depaul's usefulness..." made it seem to me you were arguing against it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
Except when they are/were playing Marquette or Notre Dame.  I imagine DePaul's athletics revenue took a not-insignificant hit when ND dropped out of the Big East.

My 4th year at MU I went to the Depaul vs Notre Dame game and it was actually close to a full stadium. It was something called Demon day and everybody got free T-shirts. Depaul lost in OT but it's worth noting that a terrible Depaul team took a really good ND team to OT with a big crowd to play for.  Even our best years not as many Depaul fans show to the game as that. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
My 4th year at MU I went to the Depaul vs Notre Dame game and it was actually close to a full stadium. It was something called Demon day and everybody got free T-shirts. Depaul lost in OT but it's worth noting that a terrible Depaul team took a really good ND team to OT with a big crowd to play for.  Even our best years not as many Depaul fans show to the game as that.

I actually went to that game too. Sat upper deck behind the hoop. Arena was full and surprisingly loud. Fun atmosphere.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
and MLB, NBA, NHL teams as well.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2015, 12:40:07 PM »
I think it is officially tickets "distributed".   You can give them to the local Boys Club and count it.   Very few schools are even close to actual attendance vs. tickets distributed.  We seem to be among the biggest violators when I look at the TV and see an upper deck 75% empty and lower deck 20% empty and then see 12K reported.

How is a anyone a "violator" when attendance number are tickets sold/given in ALL sports.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »

I believe MU season ticket sales alone are above 10K.  It's not like they are driving driving down Wisconsin Avenue tossing tickets out of the window and calling it "distributed tickets".

Besides, Marquette has 1/3 of the undergraduate enrollmeny of DePaul, and they easily draw 10 times the number of students and and 4-5 times the number of other fans.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:38:35 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
Yeah, they suck.  But they still capped us last year so we better pipe down until we get both games again.

Agree with your comment. For us to make 11-7 this year will require something very special from this team. Beating De Paul twice would be just a first step in this long difficult process.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »
I think 11-7 is doable with this team.  I truly think they are going to continue to grow and will get better as the season goes on.

I'm going with 7-2 at home, and 4-5 on the road.  (Losses to two of Georgetown, Nova, Xavier at home.  Wins at DePaul, Seton Hall, SJU and Creighton)

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
How is a anyone a "violator" when attendance number are tickets sold/given in ALL sports.

Maybe a poor choice of words but the spread between announced vs. actual is very big for MU the last few years IMO. Seems vastly different than the Bucks or Brewers. It's not important, just making an observation. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »
Maybe a poor choice of words but the spread between announced vs. actual is very big for MU the last few years IMO. Seems vastly different than the Bucks or Brewers. It's not important, just making an observation.

How do we know which teams give attendance numbers based on tickets sold and which ones do not?  For example, the Steelers have an active sellout streak that goes back many years, yet the attendance numbers for each game at Heinz Field fluctuate for every game.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
How do we know which teams give attendance numbers based on tickets sold and which ones do not?  For example, the Steelers have an active sellout streak that goes back many years, yet the attendance numbers for each game at Heinz Field fluctuate for every game.

I've wondered this too...here's my guess

Attendance can be over capacity (which is a "sellout")...generally through standing room only. Perhaps this is why it fluctuates?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »
I think 11-7 is doable with this team.  I truly think they are going to continue to grow and will get better as the season goes on.

I'm going with 7-2 at home, and 4-5 on the road.  (Losses to two of Georgetown, Nova, Xavier at home.  Wins at DePaul, Seton Hall, SJU and Creighton)

That means we beat Butler and a very good Providence team at home.  PC looked scary good against MSU. Hope you are correct.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
Let's get nuts. Promotion and relegation between the Big East and A10/MVC. League winners go up. Bottom two get relegated to the best geographical fit.

After last year, I'm not sure we want to start pushing for relegation...
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
After last year, I'm not sure we want to start pushing for relegation...

So...about those conference games against St. Bonaventure....

feedback