[Today at 11:14:56 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....  (Read 16344 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
Looking good about what!  You're the one picking apart everyone's comments because you want to suggest DePaul is decent?  Good luck with that?

You haven't been exactly good with posting "facts" on this topic. I'm not suggesting they're good I'm correcting a common misperception that Depaul has been unbelievably terrible every year. They had a decent year, nothing wrong with fact checking.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 06:50:07 AM »
You haven't been exactly good with posting "facts" on this topic. I'm not suggesting they're good I'm correcting a common misperception that Depaul has been unbelievably terrible every year. They had a decent year, nothing wrong with fact checking.

It does not change the fact that they suck and drag down the conference?  (FYI, it was golden that said it, I agreed with him?).  And who cares how many metro stops Georgetown is from the Verizon Center, the fact is correct they have a hard time attracting kids to a top 10 program because they play too far away from campus.

If you want to correct facts and show how anal you are go right ahead.   But it would help if you actually corrected facts that meant something. Because what you correct it does not change any of the conversation here.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »
It does not change the fact that they suck and drag down the conference?  (FYI, it was golden that said it, I agreed with him?).  And who cares how many metro stops Georgetown is from the Verizon Center, the fact is correct they have a hard time attracting kids to a top 10 program because they play too far away from campus.

If you want to correct facts and show how anal you are go right ahead.   But it would help if you actually corrected facts that meant something. Because what you correct it does not change any of the conversation here.

Ok I will. Thank you for your permission. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Georgetown has their own issues, but this just isn't true.  There aren't any metro stops near Georgetown.  They offer a shuttle bus from campus to the Dupont Circle stop for games, which is then 3 stops away from the Verizon Center, but that shuttle is still a huge hassle.

And I am sure L stops are too, but what choice does DePaul have?  It's not as though they can build an arena on or near campus given the cost.  Students at DePaul think nothing of taking the L downtown.  Really all they would be doing is making one transfer and getting on another train for five minutes.  Very simple.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »
Never isn't really true.  2014 played at NIT game on campus.  But yes, normally they don't play on campus.

Dammit, that's right.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 09:26:44 AM »
There is always going to be a bad team in the conference. Whether it is the same team every year or a different team every year probably does not matter much. MU's bid depends more on how MU plays than how good or bad DePaul is.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 09:28:46 AM »

And I am sure L stops are too, but what choice does DePaul have?  It's not as though they can build an arena on or near campus given the cost.  Students at DePaul think nothing of taking the L downtown.  Really all they would be doing is making one transfer and getting on another train for five minutes.  Very simple.

Business students at Depaul take their classes downtown starting sophomore year anyways, so they are already accustomed to getting on the Red Line and heading downtown, Cermak is 3 extra stops farther or approximately 3-5 min of extra train time.  Then its a 5-10 min walk.  If they switch to the Green line, that walk becomes less than 5 min from the Cermak Green Line stop.  The difference between GT and Depaul is that the kids I knew that went to GT lived on or very near campus, kids at Depaul are flung all over the city once they get past freshman year.  They are accustomed to taking public transportation to get places not expecting a 2 min walk.

Depaul has tons of problems within their athletic department and program (like when Dave Leitao sat behind me in coach in a middle seat on a flight from Cincy to Chicago while recruiting), but the new location being inconvenient for students is not one of them.  Its like if Marquette was going to play near McKinley Marina but yet the BC was located in Pewaukee and saying they were both equally annoying for students.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
The new DePaul arena will be 10.25 miles away from Lincoln Park DePaul campus.  In retrospect, Allstate Arena is over 15 miles away from the Lincoln Park campus.  By bus to the new arena, transportation will be an hour and fifteen minutes.  By train (the El), transportation is 41 minutes.  A bus is suggested once you get off at Cermak- Chinatown (the #21 Cermak/Clark bus) because the arena is close to a mile away from the train station.  If you a fortunate enough to own a car in college, it is only a 25 minute drive.  No matter how you slice it, this doesn't improve the ability for students to see their team play. 

It is worth mentioning that DePaul built an on-campus arena for it's Women's Basketball team.

From a Marquette perspective, the new Bucks arena (and the current Bradley Center) is just a mile from campus.  St. Johns campus is just three miles away from Madison Square Garden.  The Pavillion at Villanova is a quarter-mile from campus.  The list goes on and on...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
The new DePaul arena will be 10.25 miles away from Lincoln Park DePaul campus.  In retrospect, Allstate Arena is over 15 miles away from the Lincoln Park campus.  By bus to the new arena, transportation will be an hour and fifteen minutes.  By train (the El), transportation is 41 minutes.  A bus is suggested once you get off at Cermak- Chinatown (the #21 Cermak/Clark bus) because the arena is close to a mile away from the train station.  If you a fortunate enough to own a car in college, it is only a 25 minute drive.  No matter how you slice it, this doesn't improve the ability for students to see their team play. 

It is worth mentioning that DePaul built an on-campus arena for it's Women's Basketball team.

From a Marquette perspective, the new Bucks arena (and the current Bradley Center) is just a mile from campus.  St. Johns campus is just three miles away from Madison Square Garden.  The Pavillion at Villanova is a quarter-mile from campus.  The list goes on and on...

I think you are wrong about the L times to McCormick place from DePaul.  Looking at schedules, I got about 25 minutes.  Plus the green line is now running right to McCormick Place.  I don't think there is a mile walk unless they take the red line straight through.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

Isn't the new arena going to be like two blocks from a Green Line L stop?  They can take the train from Fullerton, switch downtown, and get to the arena in like 20 minutes.

Correct.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »

Isn't the new arena going to be like two blocks from a Green Line L stop?  They can take the train from Fullerton, switch downtown, and get to the arena in like 20 minutes.

For our diehards (and Depaul's) that won't be an issue. They'll get some students there. But it's hard to convince the casual fan to travel 40 minutes round trip to see a team that has been unsuccessful for years

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
For our diehards (and Depaul's) that won't be an issue. They'll get some students there. But it's hard to convince the casual fan to travel 40 minutes round trip to see a team that has been unsuccessful for years

Right.  But they would have that trouble if it were a 15 minute walk like Marquette students have.  IOW, winning games would make the arena location issue irrelevant. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 12:15:33 PM »

That 15 miles is irrelevant when you factor in the massive traffic on 90 going out or that to get public transportation you have to get to the Blue Line which is nowhere close to Depaul's campus, then a shuttle from the Blue Line out in Rosemont.  We can quibble over city distances and train schedules, but while its not across the street from the dorms on campus, the new arena is 150% easier to get to for students.

And that oncampus arena is 3000 capacity and not all of that seated.  Its very small and is part of the student rec center, its basically like the AL.   There just isnt the space to build an appropraitely sized arena on or near campus in Lincoln Park.  The Finkel site was the only option, and while very cool, still would have caused a lot of issues that lead to it not working out.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »

A lot of this is assuming that pretty much all of Depaul's 24,000 students live in LP. They don't, it's not like MU where everybody is around campus.  I've known Depaul kids living west in Logan, Humboldt and Wicker parks.  As far north as Loyola, in Hyde Park, just out of the city west in Oak Park and Forest Park.  They aren't a stay local school.  Plus if you go to this arena you have options of doing things before and after the game if it stays in Rosemont then you're still stuck in Rosemont after the game and not even in the one little good part.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »

FWIW, the main St. John's campus is in Queens, about 13 miles from MSG.  Maybe someone else knows the numbers, but I believe the Manhattan campus is much smaller.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
Why would any good player from the Chicago area go to DePaul when they could go to Marquette and have a great athletic facility and play in a NBA arena?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
AGAIN ... best thing that could happen to the Big East would be Marquette winning it all!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 01:50:50 PM »
A lot of this is assuming that pretty much all of Depaul's 24,000 students live in LP. They don't, it's not like MU where everybody is around campus.  I've known Depaul kids living west in Logan, Humboldt and Wicker parks.  As far north as Loyola, in Hyde Park, just out of the city west in Oak Park and Forest Park.  They aren't a stay local school.  Plus if you go to this arena you have options of doing things before and after the game if it stays in Rosemont then you're still stuck in Rosemont after the game and not even in the one little good part.

Correct ...

DePaul is in an expensive neighborhood.  Too expensive for students which is why they are spread out all over the place.

Here is a $3.6 million listing literally 150 yards from their campus.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/2231-N-Fremont-St-60614/home/13353378

And because it is too expensive, you would never know you were in a college campus area even this close to DePaul.  If one lived at 15th and Kilbourn (one block north of wells) in Milwaukee, homes would cost 1/10 (if not 1/15) and their would be no doubt you were in a college campus area as student could afford it.

So given they are spread out all over the place, almost anything that is not on campus is too far.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 01:52:27 PM by Heisenberg »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
Correct ...

DePaul is in an expensive neighborhood.  Too expensive for students which is why they are spread out all over the place.

Here is a $3.6 million listing literally 150 yards from their campus.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/2231-N-Fremont-St-60614/home/13353378

And because it is too expensive, you would never know you were in a college campus area even this close to DePaul.  If one lived at 15th and Kilbourn (one block north of wells) in Milwaukee, homes would cost 1/10 (if not 1/15) and their would be no doubt you were in a college campus area as student could afford it.

So given they are spread out all over the place, almost anything that is not on campus is too far.

I was agreeing with you will your last part. I believe the fact that it is more central in the city, grab some drinks in the south loup then head over to the game as opposed to sit in your apartment, sit on a bus for an hour or more, be stuck in rosemont.  Plus I was saying the fact that they're spread out all over means they're used to the el, the el can be fun in groups of drunk college kids. Sitting on a bus in traffic not so much. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 02:15:28 PM »
Both Seton Hall and Depaul have shown that they won't put any investment into their athletic programs. If they want the privilege of being in the Big East, this needs to change. Any precedent for kicking teams out of a conference? I don't think it happens and I don't think we're there yet, but I'm curious is has ever been done.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 02:31:24 PM »
Both Seton Hall and Depaul have shown that they won't put any investment into their athletic programs. If they want the privilege of being in the Big East, this needs to change. Any precedent for kicking teams out of a conference? I don't think it happens and I don't think we're there yet, but I'm curious is has ever been done.

Temple was kicked out of the Big East as a football only member in 2005 because they sucked.
UMass will be kicked out of the MAC as a football only member because they refused to join for all sports.   

I can't think of any others of recent vintage. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:35:12 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 02:50:21 PM »

The post shows a lack of basic understanding of transit in Chicago and where DePaul students live (not all are on campus), if you really think the new arena and Rosemont are a wash in terms of accessibility you have no clue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »

I'm not sure FSI - or whoever holds the TV rights next - would be cool about throwing away the Chicago market, regardless of how poorly DePaul performs (on the court or in the ratings).
The Big East probably is slightly better off with a good DePaul than a bad DePaul, but I think the benefits are likely marginal. A bad to middling St. John's program didn't exactly kill the old Big East, after all.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »

Its the markets they are in. Big East needs them.

feedback