[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....  (Read 16214 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
Is DePaul stops sucking.  Not necessarily get outright good, just stop being a mess.

Can anyone make the case that Dave Leito, the new stadium, the administration commitment to basketball or anything else makes you think we might see DePaul with a little number next to their name, or in the tourney ever again? (My definition of stop sucking)

At this point I think Northwestern is the better program in the Chicago area.

The Lens

• All American
Re: The Best That Could Happen To The BE ....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »
Georgetown or St. John's winning a National Championship is the best thing that could happen to the Big East. 

The top 100 best things that could happen to the Big East do not include DePaul. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
Is DePaul stops sucking.  Not necessarily get outright good, just stop being a mess.

Can anyone make the case that Dave Leito, the new stadium, the administration commitment to basketball or anything else makes you think we might see DePaul with a little number next to their name, or in the tourney ever again? (My definition of stop sucking)

Yeah, they suck.  But they still capped us last year so we better pipe down until we get both games again.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
When DePaul, specifically, Jean Lenti-Ponsetto, introduced Dave Leitao in April, three things caught my eye.  1.) She emphatically stated that their new coach "knew" the Big East and came from a Big East background (Leitao never coached in the Big East).  2.)  DePaul paid money to a search firm to search for and rehire its former head coach 3.) She listed the three primary purposes of DePaul Athletics - and winning (or any reference to being competitive) was not one of them. 

The consistent showing of ineptitude and mismanagement of the DePaul athletics program is staggering.  The have not had any fans at mens games in nearly a decade.  Students have no interest in basketball, mostly because all the games are nearly an hour away from campus.  Their new stadium, which is also nowhere near campus, is not centrally located near public transportation - so students will continue not going to games.  Forget the fact that they have not come close to reaching an NCAA tournament during their tenure in the Big East, they haven't even had a .500 record while in the Big East.

Bottom line, in the 10 years since their invitation into the Big East, DePaul's mens basketball program has contributed absolutely nothing to the betterment of the conference.  That is a serious problem that should demand the intervention of the Big East Presidents and Commissioner Val Ackermann.  Non-competitiveness is unacceptable in a conference designed to strive for elite college basketball.  If DePaul doesn't want to be a part of that, they can be a part of the A-10. 

End of rant.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:40:10 PM »
Any Big East team winning a National Championship is the best thing that could happen to the Big East. 

Fixed.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »
When DePaul, specifically, Jean Lenti-Ponsetto, introduced Dave Leitao in April, three things caught my eye.  1.) She emphatically stated that their new coach "knew" the Big East and came from a Big East background (Leitao never coached in the Big East).  2.)  DePaul paid money to a search firm to search for and rehire its former head coach 3.) She listed the three primary purposes of DePaul Athletics - and winning (or any reference to being competitive) was not one of them. 

The consistent showing of ineptitude and mismanagement of the DePaul athletics program is staggering.  The have not had any fans at mens games in nearly a decade.  Students have no interest in basketball, mostly because all the games are nearly an hour away from campus.  Their new stadium, which is also nowhere near campus, is not centrally located near public transportation - so students will continue not going to games.  Forget the fact that they have not come close to reaching an NCAA tournament during their tenure in the Big East, they haven't even had a .500 record while in the Big East.

Bottom line, in the 10 years since their invitation into the Big East, DePaul's mens basketball program has contributed absolutely nothing to the betterment of the conference.  That is a serious problem that should demand the intervention of the Big East Presidents and Commissioner Val Ackermann.  Non-competitiveness is unacceptable in a conference designed to strive for elite college basketball.  If DePaul doesn't want to be a part of that, they can be a part of the A-10. 

End of rant.

don't like Depaul but in all fairness in 2007 they were close to an NCAA tournament birth. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »

Northwestern may be a better team then Marquette currently. But yea, Depaul is bad and JLP has no clue how to run a money maker sport.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »

End of rant.

Isn't the new arena going to be like two blocks from a Green Line L stop?  They can take the train from Fullerton, switch downtown, and get to the arena in like 20 minutes.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
That is a serious problem that should demand the intervention of Commissioner Val Ackermann.

Does DePaul need new office furniture?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »
The best thing that would happen to the Big East -- or to college basketball in general -- would be Marquette winning a national title. Or three.

Duh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »

Isn't the new arena going to be like two blocks from a Green Line L stop?  They can take the train from Fullerton, switch downtown, and get to the arena in like 20 minutes.

Maybe so but Georgetown is three subway stops from the Verizon center and even when they are ranked in the top 10 they cannot get kids to go to the game (unless it's Saturday afternoon against Syracuse or another huge marquee matching against top teams).  That why they play some on campus.

Point is students will see the new stadium as just as difficult as Rosemont.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
Or taking in Dayton.
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
don't like Depaul but in all fairness in 2007 they were close to an NCAA tournament birth.

Which means they have never finished above .500 or had a tourney invite since joining the big East.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »

End of rant.

Good rant!

What motivated me to start this thread was the conference record thread and how we passed the Big Ten as the third best conference.   This is all the more impressive when you consider how DePaul drags everyone down with their losses.

And you're correct,  this is a basketball conference and they are terrible.   The 9 other teams in the conference have all been to the tourney in the last 3 years.  Half have made the S16 or better in the last few years.

Yes someone has to finish last every year.  But does it have to be the same team every year?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 10:05:40 PM »

It would be helpful if DePaul stop sucking, but reality is that is not likely to happen. The best they can hope for is a winning season or two.  If they really wanted to have a good program, they would have put some money in expanding their on campus facility in some way to be a little bit larger, play all their games there in a loud environment which would make it very difficult for the opponents. Maybe they are too landlocked to do that. Also need to recruit Chicago better. No reason they can't find four quality players a year. The AD is incompetent as far as D1 mens basketball goes. Seems like she puts her emphasis on the rest of the athletic program.

Big East needs to focus on the top programs getting to final four and eventually winning a national championship. I think the conference is making good progress toward that.

In the meantime DePaul sucking effectively gives us another home game.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »
I'm a grad school alum of DePaul. I have little hope the new coach will get DePaul to even "ok" status.

JLP is both the problem and the solution (by removing her as AD) to getting DePaul back on track.

I actually started a new thing after the new coach was announced. Every time DePaul calls for donations (which is like once a month) I mention that I won't donate until JLP is gone. Hopefully someone gets the message.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:10:19 PM by kryza »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »
Maybe so but Georgetown is three subway stops from the Verizon center and even when they are ranked in the top 10 they cannot get kids to go to the game (unless it's Saturday afternoon against Syracuse or another huge marquee matching against top teams).  That why they play some on campus.

Point is students will see the new stadium as just as difficult as Rosemont.

About this. Georgetown doesn't even have a metro stop. Even if they did, three stops is NOTHING. They also never play games on campus. That is only Villanova and St. John's.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »

Georgetown has their own issues, but this just isn't true.  There aren't any metro stops near Georgetown.  They offer a shuttle bus from campus to the Dupont Circle stop for games, which is then 3 stops away from the Verizon Center, but that shuttle is still a huge hassle.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
That is a serious problem that should demand the intervention of the Big East Presidents and Commissioner Val Ackermann. 

Well, clearly he can't mean DePaul's website.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »

DePaul salvages all their used pieces.
http://store.universitysalvage.com

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 12:28:43 AM »
I'm a grad school alum of DePaul. I have little hope the new coach will get DePaul to even "ok" status.

JLP is both the problem and the solution (by removing her as AD) to getting DePaul back on track.

I actually started a new thing after the new coach was announced. Every time DePaul calls for donations (which is like once a month) I mention that I won't donate until JLP is gone. Hopefully someone gets the message.

Nice job! Keep it up!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 01:25:08 AM »
About this. Georgetown doesn't even have a metro stop. Even if they did, three stops is NOTHING. They also never play games on campus. That is only Villanova and St. John's.

Never isn't really true.  2014 played at NIT game on campus.  But yes, normally they don't play on campus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 01:30:37 AM »

End of rant.

Leitao was an assistant coach in the Big East for 14 or 15 years with UCONN.  I suspect that's what she meant when she says he knows the Big East.

Can't tell you why they landed on him with the search firm, but if I had to guess it was because they soon realized they weren't going to get anyone of high quality and did not want to keep a search going on for an extended period of time showcasing to everyone that no one wanted it.

I'd be curious to know what the three things were that she listed about DePaul athletics.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
Which means they have never finished above .500 or had a tourney invite since joining the big East.

Yes they finished 9-7 that year 20-14 overall which is above .500 by my count.  I know they haven't had a tourney invite but the rant said that they hadn't come close to a tourney invite... they were close probably one game away close.  Between this and your GTown post you aren't looking great on this thread. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 06:39:32 AM »
Yes they finished 9-7 that year 20-14 overall which is above .500 by my count.  I know they haven't had a tourney invite but the rant said that they hadn't come close to a tourney invite... they were close probably one game away close.  Between this and your GTown post you aren't looking great on this thread.

Looking good about what!  You're the one picking apart everyone's comments because you want to suggest DePaul is decent?  Good luck with that?