[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jackson St.  (Read 10251 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Jackson St.
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 06:35:26 PM »
Yeah that is why I don't think you tell 3 point shooters like Henry and Duane not to shoot threes. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »
On a completely different note, did anyone notice that several of the Jackson State players had big patches of dark fabric sewn on the backs of their uniforms were the player names traditionally go?  (You might have to scroll to the right to see player #22)

It looks like it was done to cover up someone else's name.  I hope this team isn't so cash-strapped that they had to recycle old uniforms this way. 
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »
Maybe they have to earn the right to have their names show, or could be like an advent calendar, reveal one name every game until Christmas

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:16 PM »
Those uni's were Russell Atheltic and they didn't say Jackson State anywhere.  Only Tigers.  I'm convinced they're generic and bought off a high school sporting goods website.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
I remember DJO being ice cold for the non-conference part of his (I believe) senior year. He ended up turning it around. I hope Duane is just going through a rough stretch.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »
Engine = 37 minutes.

Kid, you get a quick drink of water each half.  That's it.
By the time conference rolls around we want you to be a Sophomore. Now get back to practice.   ;D

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
Engine = 37 minutes.

Kid, you get a quick drink of water each half.  That's it.
By the time conference rolls around we want you to be a Sophomore. Now get back to practice.   ;D

One turnover

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
One turnover

That was being generous.  He had two bad passes towards the end that Duane couldn't handle.  They assigned both of those two TOs to Duane.  At most one of them should have been on DW.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
Those uni's were Russell Atheltic and they didn't say Jackson State anywhere.  Only Tigers.  I'm convinced they're generic and bought off a high school sporting goods website.

I bet that is not where Ole Miss or Mississippi State has to get their uniforms.  Just saying....
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
I bet that is not where Ole Miss or Mississippi State has to get their uniforms.  Just saying....

Well UWM doesn't have as good a uniform deal as UW Madison. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »

Well UWM doesn't have as good a uniform deal as UW Madison.

Actually, I was trying to make a point about the apparent disparity of available resources.
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »
My thoughts:

1) Don't read too much into this game. It's Jackson State. Chances are their conference winner will be a 13 to 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. They're not built to compete with Marquette.

2) Running the offense through Luke and Henry is easy when you have four or five inches on their tallest player. It was nice to see Luke and Henry in the game, but it means nothing for Big East play since most of our competitors will at least size-wise match up with us. Didn't like the fact that Luke was blocking shots standing on his flat feet. That's a bad habit to get into.

3) Cheatham and Carter look like the real deals. Both played well in the early part of our schedule and continued solid play this afternoon.

4) By the intercession of St. Al, basketball coach and national champion, may we be free of the disease of excessive turnovers….. Or more simply, Lord MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

5) Santa Claus, would you please bring Duane Wilson a three point shot for Christmas. We Warrior fans have been very good this year and think this would be a very wonderful gift for our team. Thank you Santa!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 11:02:08 PM »
My thoughts:

1) Don't read too much into this game. It's Jackson State. Chances are their conference winner will be a 13 to 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. They're not built to compete with Marquette.

2) Running the offense through Luke and Henry is easy when you have four or five inches on their tallest player. It was nice to see Luke and Henry in the game, but it means nothing for Big East play since most of our competitors will at least size-wise match up with us. Didn't like the fact that Luke was blocking shots standing on his flat feet. That's a bad habit to get into.

3) Cheatham and Carter look like the real deals. Both played well in the early part of our schedule and continued solid play this afternoon.

4) By the intercession of St. Al, basketball coach and national champion, may we be free of the disease of excessive turnovers….. Or more simply, Lord MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

5) Santa Claus, would you please bring Duane Wilson a three point shot for Christmas. We Warrior fans have been very good this year and think this would be a very wonderful gift for our team. Thank you Santa!

Luke, and all bigs, are taught to wall up their opponents. Plant your feet and get big. When you're 7' tall you don't need to be jumping all over to alter shots. Be big and if you happen to get a block great. When you start jumping around to block shots you get in foul trouble real quick, and we saw what this team looks like without Luke on the floor when we played Iowa...it's not pretty.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 11:04:27 PM »
I doubt it. Seems like a team player and hard worker. Just probably not good enough yet.

You may want to check out:  BD84 posts #1  in Topic "MU Wing and Guard Defense" (Nov 13)  and Wojo's response to player #2 Stating your BENCHED!!

Who  is the only player that has not played. 

My Guess, is lesson learned and we see Sacar in the game Wednesday.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 11:37:45 PM »
That was being generous.  He had two bad passes towards the end that Duane couldn't handle.  They assigned both of those two TOs to Duane.  At most one of them should have been on DW.

OK . 37 minutes, 2 turnovers. one " towards the end" when nobody cared.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 08:26:47 AM »
Actually, I was trying to make a point about the apparent disparity of available resources.

Right.  Those same disparities exist in pretty much every public university system.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 08:33:46 AM »
You may want to check out:  BD84 posts #1  in Topic "MU Wing and Guard Defense" (Nov 13)  and Wojo's response to player #2 Stating your BENCHED!!

Who  is the only player that has not played. 

My Guess, is lesson learned and we see Sacar in the game Wednesday.

That was a scene from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »
That was a scene from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Sorry,  I never saw the Disclaimer.  IIRC I though Wojo at the beginning of the year mentioned that Sarcar may be the best Athlete on the team.  Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 09:21:20 AM »
No worries. Sacar's absence is puzzling to me as well. Wally brings energy, but doesn't add much offensively. They must see something in practice that is keeping Anim from the floor. By all accounts he's a smart kid who works really hard, so I'm surprised if he hasn't picked up on what they're doing defensively.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »

Between that and the constant scheduling reminders about Grambling, it reminded me of the articles about the funding problems at Grambling and how shoestring and sad their athletic department budget was.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Two things I took away from this game:

1)  Henry and Luke are great passers - loved seeing the inside-out game
2)  Luke has soft hands - handled a lot of quick passes very well and was able convert quickly into points (remember Ooze attempting to handle passes like this?)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
Between that and the constant scheduling reminders about Grambling, it reminded me of the articles about the funding problems at Grambling and how shoestring and sad their athletic department budget was.

I wonder why no one seems to make a big deal out of this - especially since many of these teams are from Thurgood Marshall schools (traditionally black public colleges).  It's an honest question - I am not trying to bait anyone here. 
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
Two things I took away from this game:

1)  Henry and Luke are great passers - loved seeing the inside-out game
2)  Luke has soft hands - handled a lot of quick passes very well and was able convert quickly into points (remember Ooze attempting to handle passes like this?)

Careful here, BeeJay may get all hot and bothered with people saying things like this on Scoop.  Hopefully he doesn't read this at work...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
I wonder why no one seems to make a big deal out of this - especially since many of these teams are from Thurgood Marshall schools (traditionally black public colleges).  It's an honest question - I am not trying to bait anyone here. 

Many HBCUs have poor resource bases not only because of their status in the south as HBCUs, but because they have done a very poor job of governance and fundraising throughout their history.  For instance, Grambling's endowment is $4.5 million.  $4.5 MILLION!!!  To put that in context, that is about a third of UW-Superior's endowment.

Part of the question has to be if these schools should even be playing D1 athletics.  Grambling is one of 10 public universities participating in D1 athletics in the State of Louisiana.  In a state smaller than Wisconsin, which has only four such universities.  The aforementioned UW-Superior just dropped out of the WIAC (D3 conference made up of UW schools) to join a conference of smaller schools from northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Why is Grambling still playing at the D1 level?

And I am not talking about all HBCUs.  Some are well endowed, such as Howard, Hampton, Southern and FAMU, and have the resources to be D1 schools.  But some simply aren't. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:42:34 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »
Anyone else notice the frequency of the "tipped" rebounds?  It seems like whenever Luke is not quite in position for a rebound, he's at least trying to tip the ball away from the guy who would otherwise get it. 
Seemed like Wally was doing that a bunch too. 
I think a couple times it didn't work out so well, but seemed relatively successful.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

feedback