'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bert vs McKay  (Read 6767 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Bert vs McKay
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »
Do you think Bert became more ridiculous/strange as time went on, or was he that way when he started coaching at Marquette?

I stated how off the wall crazy he was before we even hired him, that from coaches and administrators from previous institutions.  I don't mean like "that dude is crazy"...I mean..."that dude is seriously CRAZY"....as in not all the circuitry connects properly.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 08:58:19 PM »
McKay may have played up for VT. Only 5 points on 2 of 6 shooting tonoght against Illinois.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »
Can't wait to read these posts about Wojo when he leaves
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 09:18:48 PM »
Buzz has always been absolutely a strange cat. Is that necessarily bad? No.

I appreciated his weirdness in many respects.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
Can't wait to read these posts about Wojo when he leaves

Didn't you read the posts immediately after the Iowa game?

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 11:24:37 PM »
Didn't you read the posts immediately after the Iowa game?

Ha. Good point
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 11:57:56 PM »
I stated how off the wall crazy he was before we even hired him

Really? You stated Buzz was off the wall crazy before we hired him? I think that's a lie. Or you insisting for years how much you liked him was a lie. At least one was a lie . Probably both. What new?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 06:22:41 AM »
      nobody likes to be scorned-schmit, we didn't get a chance to throw buzz out ourselves, he did it before we could-heynie?  ya know, through it all, buzz was a great ride, but it was time to move on and i think he saw the writing
don't...don't don't don't don't

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
My perception is that Bert was a bit eccentric when he started and then added to the craziness as time went on and the pressure grew.  It seems like he dug a hole and kept going back to the same "ticks" when faced with adversity.

It is probably a good lesson, sometimes the skills/mannerisms that brought you success won't bring you continued success.  You have to develop new skills/processes.  In other words, Bert could not adapt.  Actually, it is kind of sad.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
      nobody likes to be scorned-schmit, we didn't get a chance to throw buzz out ourselves, he did it before we could-heynie?  ya know, through it all, buzz was a great ride, but it was time to move on and i think he saw the writing

The administration made sure he couldn't miss the writing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
But people are still wondering about the buzzster.

I'd bet my life on the fact that Wojo won't sniff Buzz's success on the court, and to me that's the most important part of the job.  He burned too hot and was destined to flame out but to constantly act like he was bad for the program is so stupid and played.  Focus on ripping the guy we got who hasn't shown that he can coach at this level.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »
I'd bet my life on the fact that Wojo won't sniff Buzz's success on the court, and to me that's the most important part of the job.  He burned too hot and was destined to flame out but to constantly act like he was bad for the program is so stupid and played.  Focus on ripping the guy we got who hasn't shown that he can coach at this level.

Did you expect him to show he could coach in his first season ever coaching in which Bert left him a starting lineup of Derrick and Duane Wilson, Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and Deonte Burton? Thank God Wojo was able to go out and get a graduate transfer to trust him with his last season or we would've won about 6 games thanks to Bert last year. The overhaul in talent that Wojo has brought in in just his second year coaching is a minor miracle given where Bert left the program. Now we have a young program that is still figuring out what college basketball is and how to play together as a team.

I'll take your bet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
I like where Wojo seems to have the program headed, but Brent's 3 year run of sweet 16s and an elite 8 is the high water mark of the post-AL era (IMO).  We was a weird dude and we had some significant off the court issues under his watch, but that run was pretty nice.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
Did you expect him to show he could coach in his first season ever coaching in which Bert left him a starting lineup of Derrick and Duane Wilson, Juan Anderson, Steve Taylor, and Deonte Burton? Thank God Wojo was able to go out and get a graduate transfer to trust him with his last season or we would've won about 6 games thanks to Bert last year. The overhaul in talent that Wojo has brought in in just his second year coaching is a minor miracle given where Bert left the program. Now we have a young program that is still figuring out what college basketball is and how to play together as a team.

I'll take your bet.

Lot of playing time to sell. We'll see what he gets when his own recruits are established. I hope I'm wrong about wojo but I sincerely doubt it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »
Lot of playing time to sell. We'll see what he gets when his own recruits are established. I hope I'm wrong about wojo but I sincerely doubt it.

So the 2 top 100 players he has signed for next year's class without a lot of playing time to sell...?

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
So the 2 top 100 players he has signed for next year's class without a lot of playing time to sell...?

Good recruits, yes. I would still say he has playing time to sell them on. Ellenson will leave. Hauser is a local kid and Bailey won't be here for 3 years.  He's recruited very well early on. I'm not sold he can coach at this level or that his recruits will get us anywhere near the level buzz had us. Will be happy if I'm wrong.