collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best Sports movies - even minor sports  (Read 14829 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Best Sports movies - even minor sports
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »
Disagree.

Figure Skating is one of the most popularly watched Winter Olympic sports, and Gymnastics the same in the Summer Olympics (also Diving). All of these are decided by judges...they are all still clearly sports. The athleticism to do these things make them sports...objective winning is not definitional to sport. Consider Keefe's mountain climbing and many who recreation-ally swim, bicycle, ski, surf, or enjoy those kids sports seen in the xgames. Not keeping score, or having judges decide,  still qualifies the activity as sport.

We could have discussions all day about what is and isn't a "sport." Probably should be a different thread.

Why is gymnastics more "athletic" than ballet?

Why is figure skating more of a "sport" than ballroom dancing?

I also prefer sports that aren't decided by judges, many of whom have ulterior motives. Having said that, I very much enjoy ice skating at the Olympics, as it's usually great theater.

Again, not trying to hijack this thread about movies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
As a mountaineer I would add these climbing films:

North Face: Nazi sponsored expedition to summit the north face of Switzerland's Eiger. Spectacular scenery.

Touching the Void: Incredible true story about two Brits who scaled the west face of Siula Grande in Peru.

Cold: First team to summit K2 in winter

127 Hours: Best reason to never climb solo

Wildest Dream: Mallory's fated assault on Everest (Maybe Hillary Clinton's mom should have named her Mallory?)

First Ascent: Extreme climbing around the world. Best vignette is Berthod's attempt on Cobra Crack in BC.

Vertical Frontier: This film features Yosemite's walls. Magnificent.

Deadly Ascent: Denali.

The Man Who Skied Down Everest: True story about a Japanese climber who climbed to the summit of Everest then skied back down.

180o South: One of my favorite places - Patagonia.

For climbing I'll pimp a buddy of mine who combined his passions: climbing, artistry, and family/life.

Check out 'Drawn: The Art of Ascent' either the movie or the book.  www.jercollins.com

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
For climbing I'll pimp a buddy of mine who combined his passions: climbing, artistry, and family/life.

Check out 'Drawn: The Art of Ascent' either the movie or the book.  www.jercollins.com

"Everest" is a pretty decent movie as well.  I recommend seeing it in Imax.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
Movie watching of sports is fun...lets  not digress into restrictions, opinion baiting or  battle.

Says the guy who wrote:

...go watch the "auto racing" Cars cartoon movie. lol

I'm pretty certain that even my 2 y/o daughter could ascertain that Cars was a movie about auto racing.  Granted, the cars were anthropomorphic, so I suppose one could make the argument that it was more analogous to long distance running than auto racing (since the cars aren't actually driving cars).  But my guess is that wasn't what you were getting at by putting auto racing in quotes, because, of course, there is no athletic element in auto racing.  Which is somewhat confusing because a) I thought we weren't making restrictions and b) Racing was one of the categories in the OP.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
"Everest" is a pretty decent movie as well.  I recommend seeing it in Imax.

Excellent rec. I saw this at the Smithsonian in IMAX a while back. Stellar.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »
In our first semester English class (I can't recall the class number) we had to write what was basically a book report and my roommate wrote his on The Natural without ever reading it.  Apparently the TA had read it because he noticed that he missed the major difference between the book and movie.

That is great! The book and movie have very different endings. Hollywood doesn't like dire, unremitting pathos.

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
Any Given Sunday is one of my favorites. The halftime speech is just phenomenal even though parts of the movie are over the top (ie. eyeball popping out). I always envisioned Cap in the way I wanted Favre's career to fade away. Playing the tough mentor role and giving everything he had until he knew the young guy was a better option.

For some reason, the Air Up There will always be a classic for me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Excellent rec. I saw this at the Smithsonian in IMAX a while back. Stellar.

Actually, I am referring to the based-on-a-true-story movie that was released this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2719848/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 11:45:18 AM »

That is crazy. Is he one of the guys in First Ascent?

I am a member of The Mountaineers which is here in Seattle. I just ordered his book.

By the way, I think it's great he is a climber based out of KC. Seattle is the epicenter for global climbing/mountaineering which makes sense given that we are surrounded by mountains. But one cannot find a decent smoked brisket if one's life depended on it. Life is about choices and priorities which, from the synopsis of Drawn, is precisely the point of his book and movie! I look forward to reading the book.

Death on call

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Disagree.

Figure Skating is one of the most popularly watched Winter Olympic sports, and Gymnastics the same in the Summer Olympics (also Diving). All of these are decided by judges...they are all still clearly sports. The athleticism to do these things make them sports...objective winning is not definitional to sport. Consider Keefe's mountain climbing and many who recreation-ally swim, bicycle, ski, surf, or enjoy those kids sports seen in the xgames. Not keeping score, or having judges decide,  still qualifies the activity as sport.

Disagree.  Ballet requires supreme atheticism and isn't a sport.  Dancing with ther Stars is a very popular TV show and is a competition that requires some athletic ability but is definitely not a sport.  Figure skating and diving are close to that than real sport.  Hell, figure skaters costumes were part of the judging process until recently.  How is that a sport?  Any competition where the winner is decided solely by the opinion of a judge is not a sport.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »
Boxing:
Diggstown

Hockey:
Mystery, Alaska

Two movies that are either bad movies that I like or just plain good movies.  I'm not sure.  Love 'em both, though.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »
Disagree.  Ballet requires supreme atheticism and isn't a sport.  Dancing with ther Stars is a very popular TV show and is a competition that requires some athletic ability but is definitely not a sport.  Figure skating and diving are close to that than real sport.  Hell, figure skaters costumes were part of the judging process until recently.  How is that a sport?  Any competition where the winner is decided solely by the opinion of a judge is not a sport.

So boxing is NOT a sport?

I know some will equate it to pro wrestling

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »

Boxing is a sport when the winner is decided by KO/TKO.  Participants at the highest level are great athletes, though.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
That is crazy. Is he one of the guys in First Ascent?

I am a member of The Mountaineers which is here in Seattle. I just ordered his book.

By the way, I think it's great he is a climber based out of KC. Seattle is the epicenter for global climbing/mountaineering which makes sense given that we are surrounded by mountains. But one cannot find a decent smoked brisket if one's life depended on it. Life is about choices and priorities which, from the synopsis of Drawn, is precisely the point of his book and movie! I look forward to reading the book.
Wonderful/Thanks!  Jeremy is a fascinating guy and a good soul, he'll appreciate the support.

I was going to say 'no' on the First Ascents but I just cruised through his 'archives' on his site and the very first entry is "2006 story of First Ascent in The Black Canyon".  I'll have to ask him next time I see him which, as you pointed out, is sometimes tough to do since he lives in KC and climbs but I'll let you know if he was.

Let me know how you enjoy the book and I'll pass it along

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »
Boxing is a sport when the winner is decided by KO/TKO.  Participants at the highest level are great athletes, though.

Yeah we're pretty great  8-)

So one of the oldest toughest sports = contact acting?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »

sometimes....I must have dreamed about all the boxing matches I've watched decided by the judges scoring because of no KO/TKO

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »
sometimes....I must have dreamed about all the boxing matches I've watched decided by the judges scoring because of no KO/TKO

Watch Gennady Golovkin. None of his fights make it to the score cards. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 11:16:44 PM »

Actually, I am referring to the based-on-a-true-story movie that was released this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2719848/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I saw that and I agree it is a good film. The script was done by Jon Krakauer who is one of my favorite writers. Krakauer upset many in the Seattle climbing world when he moved from here to Boulder.

Really, the only climbing movie I never cared for was Vertical Limit. Nobody could behave the way they did on a 7K m mountain and survive.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 11:18:59 PM »
Yeah we're pretty great  8-)

Boxers do it 12 times for three minutes per round.

Mountaineers do it for 720 consecutive hours.

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
Says the guy who wrote:

I'm pretty certain that even my 2 y/o daughter could ascertain that Cars was a movie about auto racing.  Granted, the cars were anthropomorphic, so I suppose one could make the argument that it was more analogous to long distance running than auto racing (since the cars aren't actually driving cars).  But my guess is that wasn't what you were getting at by putting auto racing in quotes, because, of course, there is no athletic element in auto racing.  Which is somewhat confusing because a) I thought we weren't making restrictions and b) Racing was one of the categories in the OP.
I wont be baited; please stop trying. Please dont "guess".

You read controversy into mere quotes, when it was just my way of noting the category of the movie.

I had hoped you wouldnt start a digression into what is "sport"...but your debate is teed up, with others. Please argue with them, I dont really care, esp. in the context of sharing movie memories.

Cars is a fun movie, too.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
I am not sure the category, but I just watched World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. good flick

In Football I'd add Leatherheads with George Clooney,

and in Baseball lets add Trouble With The Curve with Clint Eastwood and 42;

Semi Pro is a funny BB flick with Will Farrell
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 08:54:48 AM »
Boxers do it 12 times for three minutes per round.

Mountaineers do it for 720 consecutive hours.

Is Mountaineer a military branch you're referring to where they fight for 720 hours? Or are you just talking about climbing a mountain? Because sport is more than just endurance. Hard sports are measured by many factors and while I don't agree with the overall ranking of this list I think the factors they use are a good measure of how tough a sport is. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »
Is Mountaineer a military branch you're referring to where they fight for 720 hours? Or are you just talking about climbing a mountain? Because sport is more than just endurance. Hard sports are measured by many factors and while I don't agree with the overall ranking of this list I think the factors they use are a good measure of how tough a sport is. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

at least badminton beats out table tennis but table tennis over billiards? not in some of the bars I've shot pool at

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
not in some of the bars I've shot pool at

F#cking great!

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:49 AM »
Has anyone done Ping Pong yet?

Have to go with "Forrest Gump" because "Balls of Fury" sucked a$$.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback