[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NYT Article on Henry  (Read 6111 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: NYT Article on Henry
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 06:26:47 PM »
Today there are 28 flights a day to and from Milwaukee from NYC.
Milwaukee is not fly over country it is fly to country, enough with the trite clichés.

Back in my day we had one or two flights MOST days.  My flight went from Newark to Milwaukee, Madison, St. Paul, Fargo, Winnipeg, those were the days, DC-6 or DC-7, then Electra and finally 707's......

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Here's the offending quote from the article:
"Those programs would have given him plenty of national exposure, but Ellenson chose Marquette, which is 300 miles from Rice Lake."

I don't think exposure as used in the article was intended to be limited to the NBA.  Keep in mind that there is substantial income to be made from endorsements--shoe contracts, athletic gear, razor blades, drinks, autos, etc.

While NBA scouts will travel anywhere to find talent and draft players based on potential, those writing checks for endorsements pay out based on how well known you already are.  From that perspective, playing at Kentucky or Duke or Kansas probably will give you more exposure.

Its a fair point--MU probably won't match those programs in exposure, and Ellenson and his family did make a trade off.  Good for us he did--and no sleight from the NYT for pointing it out.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »
Here's the offending quote from the article:
"Those programs would have given him plenty of national exposure, but Ellenson chose Marquette, which is 300 miles from Rice Lake."

I don't think exposure as used in the article was intended to be limited to the NBA.  Keep in mind that there is substantial income to be made from endorsements--shoe contracts, athletic gear, razor blades, drinks, autos, etc.

While NBA scouts will travel anywhere to find talent and draft players based on potential, those writing checks for endorsements pay out based on how well known you already are.  From that perspective, playing at Kentucky or Duke or Kansas probably will give you more exposure.

Its a fair point--MU probably won't match those programs in exposure, and Ellenson and his family did make a trade off.  Good for us he did--and no sleight from the NYT for pointing it out.

This does not matter from an endorsement standpoint.

Success in the tourney, likability and potential are what first year endorsements are based on,  After that it is all about your NBA performance and reputation.  By NBA year 2, college is irrelevant.  See Tyler Hansborough and JJ Rednick and their lack of endorsement deals. 

See the top endorsements in the NBA.  I don't see a lot of blue bloods on this list.  I see lots of straight out of HS players (LeBron, Kobe) and I see a MU player (Dwade).

http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-best-sneaker-endorsements-in-the-nba/?view=all

Point is ... attention that the blue-bloods generate matters in some areas, it does not matter for the point of this article and I don't see what he brought it up.  In the end, he is insulting NBA scouts as lazy and not smart implying they are incapable of finding talented players unless they are on Duke and Kentucky's rosters.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:09:31 PM by Heisenberg »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
This does not matter from an endorsement standpoint.

Success in the tourney, likability and potential are what first year endorsements are based on,  After that it is all about your NBA performance and reputation.  By NBA year 2, college is irrelevant.  See Tyler Hansborough and JJ Rednick and their lack of endorsement deals. 

See the top endorsements in the NBA.  I don't see a lot of blue bloods on this list.  I see lots of straight out of HS players (LeBron, Kobe) and I see a MU player (Dwade).

http://www.thesportster.com/basketball/top-15-best-sneaker-endorsements-in-the-nba/?view=all

Point is ... attention that the blue-bloods generate matters in some areas, it does not matter for the point of this article and I don't see what he brought it up.  In the end, he is insulting NBA scouts as lazy and not smart implying they are incapable of finding talented players unless they are on Duke and Kentucky's rosters.

So white guys don't get endorsements?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.