[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NYT Article on Henry  (Read 6110 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: NYT Article on Henry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:20:50 AM »
Very nice. Almost counterbalances the Ben Simmons show on ESPN.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
I don't understand the highlighted part ...

In recent years, most of the nation’s top college basketball coaches traveled to tiny Rice Lake, Wis., trying to persuade Henry Ellenson to join their programs. Kentucky’s John Calipari, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, North Carolina’s Roy Williams and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo were among those who showed up in the town of 8,000 to woo the 6-foot-10 Ellenson, a forward with guard skills.

Those programs would have given him plenty of national exposure, but Ellenson chose Marquette, which is 300 miles from Rice Lake.

That has not stopped him from drawing attention from all over the country.

Are they saying you don't get NBA scout attention at MU/Milwaukee even thought you're playing in an NBA arena?  Are they saying NBA scouts are not smart enough to find FS1 on their cable lineup?

Are they saying that NBA scouts, who mostly live in the NYC metro area (according to the broadcasters Monday) are lazy and do not want to travel to Milwaukee (even though their team travels to Milwaukee at least once?) 

If they are that lazy, MU just finished two games in NYC, will play again in NYC against St. Johns, in NJ against The Hall, and finally again in the BE tournament.  So those lazy scouts that live in Summitt NJ have at least 5 opportunities to see Ellenson play by driving less than 30 minutes from home.

So help me here ... is he suggesting that MU/Milwaukee is akin to isolating yourself in Siberia?  The NBA regularly finds guys in China, Croatia and Spain, but somehow finding a talent in Milwaukee is somehow too much to ask?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:12:20 AM by Heisenberg »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »
Just the beginning

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
It's just the lead in on an article.  A one and done guy choosing Marquette is not normal. 

Man up Warriors!  Stop seeing everything as a perceived slight.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »

In recent years, most of the nation’s top college basketball coaches traveled to tiny Rice Lake, Wis., trying to persuade Henry Ellenson to join their programs. Kentucky’s John Calipari, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, North Carolina’s Roy Williams and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo were among those who showed up in the town of 8,000 to woo the 6-foot-10 Ellenson, a forward with guard skills.

Those programs would have given him plenty of national exposure, but Ellenson chose Marquette, which is 300 miles from Rice Lake.

Are they saying you don't get NBA scout attention at MU/Milwaukee even thought you're playing in an NBA arena?  Are they saying NBA scouts are not smart enough to find FS1 on their cable lineup?

Are they saying that NBA scouts, who mostly live in the NYC metro area (according to the broadcasters Monday) are lazy and do not want to travel to Milwaukee (even though their team travels to Milwaukee at least once?) 

If they are that lazy, MU just finished two games in NYC, will play again in NYC against St. Johns, in NJ against The Hall, and finally again in the BE tournament.  So those lazy scouts that live in Summitt NJ have at least 5 opportunities to see Ellenson play by driving less than 30 minutes from home.

So help me here ... is he suggesting that MU/Milwaukee is akin to isolating yourself in Siberia?  The NBA regularly finds guys in China, Croatia and Spain, but somehow finding a talent in Milwaukee is somehow too much to ask?

I read it as, "Even though he has stayed local, his talent is of interest nationally."  A straightforward compliment, nothing backhanded.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
It may be a little insulting I guess, but it's true. He would have played in more widely seen, more highly promoted games and if we're being honest, possibly in games deeper in the tournament come that time.
I don't take it as a dig so much as just a recognition that those top few teams rule the roost.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 10:28:27 AM »
It may be a little insulting I guess, but it's true. He would have played in more widely seen, more highly promoted games and if we're being honest, possibly in games deeper in the tournament come that time.
I don't take it as a dig so much as just a recognition that those top few teams rule the roost.

Yes more attention from casual fans.  But casual fans don't draft players.  NBA management, in consultation with their scouts, draft players. 

I read this as saying he diminished his ability to get drafted by playing in Milwaukee.  And I see this as a backhanded insult against lazy, not very smart, NBA scouts.  Talent needs to go to NBA scouts and paraded around them.  They are incapable of finding it.

In reality players in China, Croatia and Spain are found and drafted, many of them are even lottery picks.    Why is Milwaukee a problem?

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
HE: "This is awesome, to get a championship under the belt with this team,” he said Tuesday night. “It’s just all part of the process. This is the first championship we could win, so we did it. Now we’re just taking that same competitiveness we’ve been competing with these last two days and bringing it throughout the season."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
Yes more attention from casual fans.  But casual fans don't draft players.  NBA management, in consultation with their scouts, draft players. 

I read this as saying he diminished his ability to get drafted by playing in Milwaukee.  And I see this as a backhanded insult against lazy, not very smart, NBA scouts.  Talent needs to go to NBA scouts and paraded around them.  They are incapable of finding it.

In reality players in China, Croatia and Spain are found and drafted, many of them are even lottery picks.    Why is Milwaukee a problem?
Also, it's the NY Times.......MKE is flyover country to their readership. 

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »

It's the NY Times, modus operandi.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »

Aren't you the same person who said any of the graduate transfers we were trying to get needed to come to Marquette over Arizona, Louisville, or others because NBA scouts couldn't get to their games and we play in an NBA arena?  Now you're arguing the exact opposite despite nobody saying that was the case, other than you back then?  Heise, you didn't even start this thread, it doesn't count towards your click total, you don't need to argue just to argue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 12:23:19 PM »
HE: "This is awesome, to get a championship under the belt with this team,” he said Tuesday night. “It’s just all part of the process. This is the first championship we could win, so we did it. Now we’re just taking that same competitiveness we’ve been competing with these last two days and bringing it throughout the season."

Right.  Hank knows.  Scoopers just need to respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Aren't you the same person who said any of the graduate transfers we were trying to get needed to come to Marquette over Arizona, Louisville, or others because NBA scouts couldn't get to their games and we play in an NBA arena?  Now you're arguing the exact opposite despite nobody saying that was the case, other than you back then?  Heise, you didn't even start this thread, it doesn't count towards your click total, you don't need to argue just to argue.

That was not me.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »

I read this as saying he diminished his ability to get drafted by playing in Milwaukee. 

You read it wrong.

The fact is he is (and Ben Simmons is) getting less exposure playing at MU (and LSU).  At Duke, UK or MSU he would have already played in the premier College Hoops event of the year (Champions Classic) plus a Feast Week Tourney.

Exposure = Casual fans

The NBA has known about Henry for years, he could play for UW-Barron County and he'd be a top ten pick next summer.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

most of the nation’s top college basketball coaches traveled to tiny Rice Lake, Wis....Kentucky’s John Calipari, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, North Carolina’s Roy Williams and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo were among those who showed up in the town of 8,000

They must be going there for the pie. Question is did these guys eat pie in the afternoon or evening?

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »

Yeah, but they would get more exposure at UNC, Kentucky or Duke. No one is saying Ellenson is going to fall out of the draft but he is not going to get the coverage being on an unranked MU team as he would have by choosing Kentucky and being on ESPN every game. There's no doubt in my mind that being a NChampion at Kentucky is worth an extra spot or two in the draft compared to playing at MU where he might not even get one dance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »
Yeah, but they would get more exposure at UNC, Kentucky or Duke. No one is saying Ellenson is going to fall out of the draft but he is not going to get the coverage being on an unranked MU team as he would have by choosing Kentucky and being on ESPN every game. There's no doubt in my mind that being a NChampion at Kentucky is worth an extra spot or two in the draft compared to playing at MU where he might not even get one dance.

Or he could go for more points at Marquette per game than minutes he would get per game at Kentucky and move up.

Ask Anthony Bennett how playing at UNLV instead of UK affected his draft stock.  Or CJ McCollum for playing at Lehigh.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
You read it wrong.

The fact is he is (and Ben Simmons is) getting less exposure playing at MU (and LSU).  At Duke, UK or MSU he would have already played in the premier College Hoops event of the year (Champions Classic) plus a Feast Week Tourney.

Exposure = Casual fans

The NBA has known about Henry for years, he could play for UW-Barron County and he'd be a top ten pick next summer.

Also, scouts coming to watch MU are mostly coming to watch HE.  If he was at Duke, UK or MSU, their would be scouts packing it in at every single game looking at not only you, but your teammates who are mostly NBA prospects. 

brandx

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 02:40:08 PM »

Good point. Over half of the players in the last NBA draft were NOT from the Blue chip college programs.

It was just lazy, cliched writing.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »
Good point. Over half of the players in the last NBA draft were NOT from the Blue chip college programs.

It was just lazy, cliched writing.

Thank you ... this is what I was getting at (and maybe did not do a good job).  The article left me with an impression that HE's decision to go to MU was as NBA scouts are lazy and he might get overlooked.  Neither is true, and a dissection of the article is not necessary, but that the writers' cliches and style left me with this impression.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »
Thank you ... this is what I was getting at (and maybe did not do a good job).  The article left me with an impression that HE's decision to go to MU was as NBA scouts are lazy and he might get overlooked.  Neither is true, and a dissection of the article is not necessary, but that the writers' cliches and style left me with this impression.

Once a week, baby!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
Or you know, you could read what he wrote at face value and assume he was saying he would've normally got more exposure at a school like UNC Kentucky or duke. Which is 100% true since those schools are always on ESPN and ESPN is viewed way more than fox sports and ESPN pimps every game for those schools. I see nothing wrong with saying there is less exposure at mu. HE is good enough to transcend that though, which the article states.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
Or you know, you could read what he wrote at face value and assume he was saying he would've normally got more exposure at a school like UNC Kentucky or duke. Which is 100% true since those schools are always on ESPN and ESPN is viewed way more than fox sports and ESPN pimps every game for those schools. I see nothing wrong with saying there is less exposure at mu. HE is good enough to transcend that though, which the article states.

Or that the general sports fan believes this to be true.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »
Right.  Hank knows.  Scoopers just need to respect the process.

He needs to post more to earn that respect.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.