[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo on the sidelines  (Read 5725 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo on the sidelines
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:41:02 AM »
Did anybody else notice during the last two games that Wojo's sideline antics and running around made Buzz look somnolent?    Hey, it worked.   He was trying to keep his team focused.   But, man, he was fired up. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Wojo on the sidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »
It's awesome.  Chick said it would be cool if we could put a tracker on him with the blue line they use following football receiving routes.  Seriously, that would be a freaking hilarious mix tape.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:21:05 AM »
Wojo definitely slapped the floor during one of the key defensive possessions.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
For a guy who says nothing 99% of the time when he talks, he lets it all hang out on the sidelines.  I like the fire and his team brought the fire too.  We are where I thought we could be...we are dangerous, both to ourselves and our opponents.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »
I went to the game last night and they started handing out random tickets to go sit behind the bench.  So I gladly relocated, even though I had to sit next to some drunken idiot who was rooting for MU, but wasn't a fan and was yelling many things that I had to yell at him to shutup several times.

Anyways, it was crazy noticing how animated Wojo is.  Every play.  It could have been as simple as missing an open jump shot (happens) and he gets so animated.  I know I've seen some of his stuff on TV and whatnot, but it was interesting seeing it so consistent.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »
I love his passion during the game, he knows they can be something special. Those practices in the park without MU attire is genius. Great things to come.

Spencer Pratt

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »

Anyways, it was crazy noticing how animated Wojo is.  Every play.  It could have been as simple as missing an open jump shot (happens) and he gets so animated.  I know I've seen some of his stuff on TV and whatnot, but it was interesting seeing it so consistent.

Is it a good thing that he is so animated after nearly every play?  I love the enthusiasm and he clearly pushed the right buttons after Iowa, but that kind of stuff (freaking out over every missed shot, etc) can wear on players over a season.  Maybe I'm reading to much into it..

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:54:52 PM »
It's awesome.  Chick said it would be cool if we could put a tracker on him with the blue line they use following football receiving routes.  Seriously, that would be a freaking hilarious mix tape.

Shall we raise money and buy him a fitbit for Christmas?  During the game he might log more steps than some starters.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
I liked seeing how mad he got at himself when he tried to call a time out towards the end and forgot that a player has to call it. I'm assuming he's going to make himself run suicides in front of the whole team for that one.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
Wojo needs a seatbelt

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
I liked seeing how mad he got at himself when he tried to call a time out towards the end and forgot that a player has to call it. I'm assuming he's going to make himself run suicides in front of the whole team for that one.

That was awesome.  And I hope he does run.  His willingness to hold himself to a high standard is fantastic. I can see all the players imitating him as he runs. Well, maybe not the Frosh quite yet.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »

I desperately want a gif of that moment.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »

I thought he was mad at The Engine (I believe) for not recognizing that he was calling for a timeout. Instead, Traci made a spin move and headed to the hoop. Either way, Wojo was fired up.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 01:30:19 PM »
I thought he was mad at The Engine (I believe) for not recognizing that he was calling for a timeout. Instead, Traci made a spin move and headed to the hoop. Either way, Wojo was fired up.

On the replay I thought you could see him looking directly at the ref to call time out, then turn around to start drawing up a play. It was actually great awareness by Ellenson to call the TO.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »
I couldn't keep my eyes off of Stan Johnson on the sidelines. He was up and stepping out onto the court nearly as much as Wojo. The ref regularly needed to tell him to sit down, but it never lasted more than about 2 seconds. Never seen an assistant coach up during a game like that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
I couldn't keep my eyes off of Stan Johnson on the sidelines. He was up and stepping out onto the court nearly as much as Wojo. The ref regularly needed to tell him to sit down, but it never lasted more than about 2 seconds. Never seen an assistant coach up during a game like that.

Stan's the best dressed* assistant on the bench.  He needs some camera time. 

*Travis' Italian suits look good too   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
Stan's the best dressed* assistant on the bench.  He needs some camera time. 

*Travis' Italian suits look good too

He can afford them, for sure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »

I noticed that too. But only during Arizona state. I wondered if there was some bad blood after he left
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
He nearly tripped a few players bringing the ball up. He nearly lost his mind trying to call a timeout, even though he can't anymore. He was insesently yelling at the officials.

It might be fine now, but at some point it'll grow tiresome. And once he leaves, there will be threads on this board about him being a spaz and needs to control himself like a professional. But now there are threads on how great it is. Pretty predictable. I'm not a fan of him jumping around like a lunatic, it didn't help them win the game.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
He nearly tripped a few players bringing the ball up. He nearly lost his mind trying to call a timeout, even though he can't anymore. He was insesently yelling at the officials.

It might be fine now, but at some point it'll grow tiresome. And once he leaves, there will be threads on this board about him being a spaz and needs to control himself like a professional. But now there are threads on how great it is. Pretty predictable. I'm not a fan of him jumping around like a lunatic, it didn't help them win the game.

Have a beer, bud. Lighten up.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
Have a beer, bud. Lighten up.

Calmer than you are, Dude. Just stating facts.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »
Be sure to let us know when you grow tiresome of it.

Hes showing the fire and passion that he played with.  It is great.
Did taking the team to the playground help them win?
Did stripping the team of their jerseys help them win?
Did moving practices out of the AL help them win?

I dont know, but I certainly wouldnt 'state the fact' that it didnt help them win.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »

It might be fine now, but at some point it'll grow tiresome. And once he leaves, there will be threads on this board about him being a spaz and needs to control himself like a professional.

Exactly.  Because that's what happened after Al left.
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 12:34:08 PM »
I noticed that too. But only during Arizona state. I wondered if there was some bad blood after he left

I'm guessing he had the scout for ASU. I think Kara mentioned that usually that person is standing up and shouting things.

Wojo is definitely intense on the sidelines. In all honesty, I kind of expected him to be pretty stoic on the sidelines before the first game last year. Definitely not what I expected. I don't mind it. For the most part it's not towards the officials, so I don't worry too much about technicals.

I did get a laugh when they said how calm Hurley was on the sidelines. He wasn't nuts, but I wouldn't have used the term calm.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
Calmer than you are, Dude. Just stating facts.

When did your opinion become fact?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback