Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sun Devil thoughts  (Read 10441 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Sun Devil thoughts
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »
ESPN showed highlights of the NC State/LSU game...again all about Simmons. Not a peep about the Marquette/ASU game. They showed the consolation game but not the championship. They also had room for Oklahoma beating Incarnate Word by 30. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Highlights are ranked teams only. LSU is ranked so they get highlights, but MU and Arizona State are not ranked so they don't get highlights. Oklahoma is ranked.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 01:31:40 AM »
Highlights are ranked teams only. LSU is ranked so they get highlights, but MU and Arizona State are not ranked so they don't get highlights. Oklahoma is ranked.

But why of all the ranked games did they pick Oklahoma, LSU, and Maryland? They missed games by Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, Vanderbilt, and Cincinnati. Maryland I get. They are #2 and were nearly upset by Illinois State. But Oklahoma crushed Incarnate Word by 30 at home...it wasn't even a tournament game. Just a random cupcake they scheduled. And LSU was the 2nd lowest ranked team and was in the losers bracket. Kansas, Indiana, Vanderbilt, and North Carolina all played high major opponents. Kentucky and Cincy were at least playing in tournaments.

I guess I understand the ranked teams thing but to me it is stupid to show a game from the losers bracket and not show the championship game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 01:34:13 AM »
Most entertaining lineup of the night...

Wlson
Ellenson
Ellenson
Johnson
Cheatham

That was a lot of 'sons against the Sun devils

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 02:22:40 AM »
Isn't 'tussin mildly hallucinogenic at 3-4x the recommended dose?

Only 'tussin DM and technically it is a dissociative psychotic.  You would also need well over the 3-4x dose, to the point that it would make you kind of sick first.

Now, you can do a simple extraction of the active ingredient using napthol, then add lemon juice to protonate the active ingredient and pull it into the lemon juice phase or at least thats what I have heard.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
Henry was quietly very good again. I hope people can appreciate how he impacts the game.
This post is about as Sultan as it gets.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »
ESPN showed highlights of the NC State/LSU game...again all about Simmons. Not a peep about the Marquette/ASU game. They showed the consolation game but not the championship. They also had room for Oklahoma beating Incarnate Word by 30. Doesn't seem to make sense.

Oh, it makes sense.  They are not in the business of reporting, they are in the business of promoting.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
I thought that was by far our best defensive game of the year.  A much better job of keeping between man and basket.  Forced some tough shots.  Still not great, but our best game so far, I thought.

I still think we settle for jump shots too often.  We are best when taking the ball to the basket.

Very good all around effort and I am impressed with the way they have turned things around after the IUPUI/Iowa games.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
Ah...thank you and warriorchick...I'm Filipino, so I'm used to putting "bix" on everything (Vicks).

It was awesome seeing/hearing all the MU support.  I chuckled when the little kids behind the announcers were chanting "OFF-FENSE! OFF-FENSE!" I did that a lot as a kid.

Anyways, back to #mubb....these quiet double-doubles by Henry got me like "where did those numbers come from??"

LOL Vicks works, too. In my house,  Milk of Magnesia seemed to be the magic elixir.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
Weird, but I knew MU had the game won, even before overtime.  They seem to have found some confidence in the past days.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:09 AM »
I went to the game tonight and had a good time. Was kind of an old school atmosphere with a fair amount of knowledgeable fans from both teams.

Luke is the key component and it goes without saying we need to keep him out of foul trouble.

When Henry plays close to the basket and uses traditional big man moves he is most effective.
When he forces things almost nothin good happens.

Traci and Cheatem together are a good combination.

We are going to need to learn how to play defense against quick and athletic players. That kid Justice for them was quicker than anyone on our team and made a lot of good plays by exploiting his skill.  There are going to be lots of guys in conference with that same ability set .

I think the cupcakes are coming at a good time, we can fatten our record with them and gain some experience for guys like Anim and Heldt. I refs keep calling things right those two need to be able to contribute meaningfully.

agree with this post...our guys seemed a 1/2 step slow on dribble drives at times which is a bit frustrating.

Cheatem is going to be a stud and Fischer is definitely our best player despite missing about 6 bunnies early in the game.

I also liked Duane's play last night...I felt that Wojo almost gave away the LSU game but he took this game.  The guys are getting better, it'd be nice to get a W over Wisconsin.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 07:19:50 AM »
The Marquette health center gave you Dr. Rottschaefer's magic red elixir for whatever ails you when we were at Marquette. I swear that stuff was floating around the dorms like it was water and the kids consumed more of it than we did Saga food.

The magic red elixir was used for colds, flu, stomach maladies, heartburn, heart attacks, stroke, birth control, urinary tract infections, broken limbs, cheap highs and assorted other bodily functions.

Lol. Back in the day the doc at the MU Health Clinic was a good friend of my dad.  I'm not recalling his name at the moment.  In addition to his duties at Marquette, he was the senior medical review physician at Old Line Life where my pops was the senior underwriter.  Every once in awhile when I was a kid, my dad would come home with stories doc had regaled him with from the students at the clinic.  We're horrified about these type of HIPPA violations today but back in the day they were just funny.  Many involved something related to staying too late at the 'Lanche.  I'll bet doc pulled out a lot of glass splinters, then 'painted' with the magic red.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
Luke is our best player and I don't feel it's very close.
Henry is obviously most talented, and at times Traci is the most important, but Luke is our best, most consistent player.  He's gotta get much much better about staying out of foul trouble though.  Has been his main problem since he got here.  He's too good to be sitting so often.
he is looking good right now, but let's wait until BEast play gets rolling.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
Just finished watching the game on tape delay as I was otherwise engaged last night and have the following input:

1.  It's a pleasure finally having a real inside presence.

2.  In crunch time, why do I find myself yelling at the TV, "Don't give the ball to Wilson!"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:57:23 AM by ATWizJr »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »
Yeah...Mark Jones was trippin'.

1. Saying Wally was in for the first time...the second time he checked in
2. Saying a "lower leg contusion" could mean "ANY leg injury"...no, contusion = bruise.
3.  I swear he said something along the lines of "hey coach, tell him to put some robitussin on that knee!"...Is that a saying?  Is that a thing?  Because cough syrup would not do anything for a bruise.

To be fair though, they talked up our turnaround from the Iowa debacle a fair amount when they weren't talking about Simmons.

Chris Rock....goggle it.  Let the tussin soak in.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2015, 10:14:39 AM »
I was happiest with the improvement in the man-to-man D.

Went back and watched a bit of the Iowa 1st half after last night's game (yes, I am a masochist) and the switching and rotations were much cleaner, even though ASU didn't try as many pick and rolls.

Still a ways to go, but that's what the non-con is for.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
I was happiest with the improvement in the man-to-man D.

Went back and watched a bit of the Iowa 1st half after last night's game (yes, I am a masochist) and the switching and rotations were much cleaner, even though ASU didn't try as many pick and rolls.

Still a ways to go, but that's what the non-con is for.

ASU twice tried the play that Belmont and Iowa destroyed us with. Looks like a normal pick n roll with the big guy screening and the other 4 players outside the 3 point line. Big guy ends up faking the screen, quickly rolls to the hoop and has the entire paint free for an easy layup. Belmont and Iowa probably beat us 15+ times combined with that play. ASU was 0 for 2.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2015, 11:31:46 AM »
Chris Rock....goggle it.  Let the tussin soak in.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YsY2-yi5W74" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YsY2-yi5W74</a>

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YsY2-yi5W74" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YsY2-yi5W74</a>

Speaking of Chris Rock, I'm thinking Tra Holder might be his nephew:

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

connie

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »
1.  Officiating was puzzling
2.  MU missed so many bunnies and FT's early, evened it out, and then started missing again.   I keep telling my 5th graders that it boils down to layups, free throws and rebounding. 
3.  One day, JJ will play consecutive good games.  Didn't even go back in when Luke fouled out. 
4.  I always like seeing Wally on the floor.   Doesn't always show up in the box score, but he seems to be in the right spot.
5.  Haanif will be good.   
6.  MU does not match up well with muscular 6'7/6'8 players. 
7.  Making clutch 3's is for other teams.   
8.  Consistency is not something you can expect from freshmen. 
9.  ASU had everything they needed, but the big fella with the ball was just a bad combo.
10.  Carter wants to lead.   He wanted the ball at the end, despite not hitting anything all night.  They still aren't good decisions.  But he kept playing.
11.  Liked hearing the fans chanting
12. Two neutral court wins against power conference teams.    Bottom line.    Cannot complain.    Pleasantly surprised.

After much consideration of my wild mood swings over the past week I am latching on to Number 8.  Who knows what the next game will bring.  For now, I am going to enjoy a couple of hard fought wins.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »

Speaking of Chris Rock, I'm thinking Tra Holder might be his nephew:

I was thinking the same thing last night.
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Sandy nice defense at the end with hands up surprising the entry passer  to go higher for a key turnover.  The two bigs look good in the high low game.

This.  I thought this was one of the best plays of the game.  Right in crunch time.  Fantastic play by Sandy.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
The officiating was very poor in this game.  I was in attendance, sitting right behind the MU bench (somehow got luckily relocated randomly).  Several of the offensive fouls called on Fischer were complete jokes, and a couple of the blocks called on Sandy were awful (though I feel like on one of them had he fallen down, it easily would have been called a charge).

On the other end, several calls near the end went our way where I found myself turning to the guy next to me saying "we got away with one there".  Thought HE got away with a charge late where they called a block.

All in all, very poor officiating that I thought ended up balancing out between the teams. 

Also, during one of the timeouts, Wojo was really getting into it with one of the officials.  This was right after HE had a breakaway where he finished and it looked like he was fouled (I think it should have been called).  The ref and Wojo were fired up laying into each other and I was surprised Wojo wasn't T'ed up.  Eventually Wojo returned to the huddle and Carrawell and the ref started calming each other down.  The huddle broke from the TO and Wojo went right back to laying into the ref.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
The officiating was very poor in this game.  I was in attendance, sitting right behind the MU bench (somehow got luckily relocated randomly).  Several of the offensive fouls called on Fischer were complete jokes, and a couple of the blocks called on Sandy were awful (though I feel like on one of them had he fallen down, it easily would have been called a charge).

On the other end, several calls near the end went our way where I found myself turning to the guy next to me saying "we got away with one there".  Thought HE got away with a charge late where they called a block.

All in all, very poor officiating that I thought ended up balancing out between the teams. 

Also, during one of the timeouts, Wojo was really getting into it with one of the officials.  This was right after HE had a breakaway where he finished and it looked like he was fouled (I think it should have been called).  The ref and Wojo were fired up laying into each other and I was surprised Wojo wasn't T'ed up.  Eventually Wojo returned to the huddle and Carrawell and the ref started calming each other down.  The huddle broke from the TO and Wojo went right back to laying into the ref.

Wojo and HE had a solid argument on that last foul... the replay clearly showed the defender with his hand all over HE's forearm.  However, in the official's defense, the contact appeared to be directly opposite where the official was standing, i.e. the contact on HE's forearm was shielded by the forearm - and possibly HE's head/body - itself.

I suppose you could lay into the official for being out of position (granted, it was a fast break when officials are almost always out of position), but it's literally a foul the official couldn't see, even if it was clear to everyone else that there was contact. 

I've seen too many whistles blown by officials who were out of position to see the contact yet called the foul assuming contact occurred, and honestly, I'd rather have more no-calls and fewer "phantom" calls.  That doesn't mean I wasn't pissed by the no-call, nor do I blame Wojo for reading the official the riot act.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.