[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sun Devil thoughts  (Read 10536 times)

BossplayaOtto

• All American
Re: Sun Devil thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:28 PM »
End game lineup consisted of 3 frosh and 2 sophomores. Talented young players learning to win at this level.
An impressive turnaround after the Iowa debacle.
Reffing/ Rules are making NCAAB a difficult product to enjoy. Fischy appeared to have multiple fouls called on him that did not appear to be fouls.
Announcing was painful.
Love Feast Week/ Holiday Tourney Marquette games especially when most of the non-con games are pretty blah.
Happy turkey day.

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 09:52:25 PM »
Announcing WAS painful, insight, was not insightful, couldn't get basics right, like score, number of fouls, etc...  And they really kept plugging that Simmons LSU angle

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
Like Cheatham off the ball.  May have the best driving ability since McNeal, and he nailed the one three he took.  Turnover machine trying to run the offense though.

Frustrating that JJJ still hasn't developed consistency.

On that note, thought Wojo handled the rotation quite well tonight, and managed the foul situations.  Really no qualms at all about the minutes or combinations he played.

Nice support by MU fans in Brooklyn - we had the crowd, and a few dedicated fans getting some audible cheers going.

When will the MU Spirit shop have their Championship shirts on sale?

2022, when our tournament sponsor sorts through their legal issues.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 09:57:10 PM »
Announcing WAS painful, insight, was not insightful, couldn't get basics right, like score, number of fouls, etc...  And they really kept plugging that Simmons LSU angle

Yeah...Mark Jones was trippin'.

1. Saying Wally was in for the first time...the second time he checked in
2. Saying a "lower leg contusion" could mean "ANY leg injury"...no, contusion = bruise.
3.  I swear he said something along the lines of "hey coach, tell him to put some robitussin on that knee!"...Is that a saying?  Is that a thing?  Because cough syrup would not do anything for a bruise.

To be fair though, they talked up our turnaround from the Iowa debacle a fair amount when they weren't talking about Simmons.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »

3.  I swear he said something along the lines of "hey coach, tell him to put some robitussin on that knee!"...Is that a saying?  Is that a thing?  Because cough syrup would not do anything for a bruise.

That's a joke.  In some families you are told to take Robitussin for whatever ails you.

Have some patience, FFS.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
I don't know anything about ASU from the announcers besides the fact that they were picked to finish in the bottom half of their conference. They spent so much time not talking about what was happening in the game and I still didn't learn anything interesting.

Like when the announcer said, "they gave me like 4 laminated pages of rule changes" after the lady asked him about the touch fouls. Like... Bro. Your only job is to talk about basketball and you couldn't be bothered to brush up on the rule changes for this year?! I can't wait for our FS1 announcers.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »

2. Saying a "lower leg contusion" could mean "ANY leg injury"...no, contusion = bruise.

To be fair though, they talked up our turnaround from the Iowa debacle a fair amount when they weren't talking about Simmons.

On #3, the robitussin comment is a reference to a Chris Rock stand-up routine from years ago. As a kid, his mother would "put some tussin' on it" whenever something hurt  -- a cure-all sort of thing.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:55 PM »
On #3, the robitussin comment is a reference to a Chris Rock stand-up routine from years ago. As a kid, his mother would "put some tussin' on it" whenever something hurt  -- a cure-all sort of thing.

Ah...thank you and warriorchick...I'm Filipino, so I'm used to putting "bix" on everything (Vicks).

It was awesome seeing/hearing all the MU support.  I chuckled when the little kids behind the announcers were chanting "OFF-FENSE! OFF-FENSE!" I did that a lot as a kid.

Anyways, back to #mubb....these quiet double-doubles by Henry got me like "where did those numbers come from??"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »
That's a joke.  In some families you are told to take Robitussin for whatever ails you.

The Marquette health center gave you Dr. Rottschaefer's magic red elixir for whatever ails you when we were at Marquette. I swear that stuff was floating around the dorms like it was water and the kids consumed more of it than we did Saga food.

The magic red elixir was used for colds, flu, stomach maladies, heartburn, heart attacks, stroke, birth control, urinary tract infections, broken limbs, cheap highs and assorted other bodily functions.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 10:24:18 PM »

My favorite moment was when he was talking about Sandy being the best player in practice, then as Sandy squares up to shoot, "...And on cue, there's Cohen nailing the (**CLANK**) three...uhh...well he tried for the three."

Literally seconds later ASU comes back down the other end and I think he was praising Holder, "fires it inside to get (**SHOT RIMS OUT**) the dime." Just so much bad in his announcing.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:41 PM »
Sandy nice defense at the end with hands up surprising the entry passer  to go higher for a key turnover.  The two bigs look good in the high low game.

brandx

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »
This--I'm so sick of watching these guys butcher early season games. Both ways--just bad.

One foul every 52 seconds throughout the game. Either that has to end or it will be the end of college basketball for me.

College football drove me away with their 3 hour and 45 minute games. Will college basketball be next?

The NBA is such a superior product - and I don't mean because they have better players. There's a rhythm and flow to most NBA games. That has been ripped away in the college game this year.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 10:48:58 PM »
Wojo's leash just got a lot longer, hey

Maybe.  But at least it's no longer a "choke-chain".
   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 10:49:20 PM »
Happy at the results the last two games.  I'm not sure how good ASU or LSU are (I don't believe in rankings this early at all, so their ranking means nada to me).  Hopefully they turn out to be good wins, but regardless the effort on our side was much better, they just look a lot beter but with a ton of potential improvement still out there to be found.

Keep moving forward, get better.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »

That is just foolish.  Now chicken soup, however......
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
 With my mother it was "Drink some camomile tea".

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
One foul every 52 seconds throughout the game. Either that has to end or it will be the end of college basketball for me.

College football drove me away with their 3 hour and 45 minute games. Will college basketball be next?

The NBA is such a superior product - and I don't mean because they have better players. There's a rhythm and flow to most NBA games. That has been ripped away in the college game this year.

You can't see it, but I'm giving this post a standing ovation.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 11:24:46 PM »
Luke is our best player and I don't feel it's very close.
Henry is obviously most talented, and at times Traci is the most important, but Luke is our best, most consistent player.  He's gotta get much much better about staying out of foul trouble though.  Has been his main problem since he got here.  He's too good to be sitting so often.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »

Isn't 'tussin mildly hallucinogenic at 3-4x the recommended dose?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:02 PM »
I went to the game tonight and had a good time. Was kind of an old school atmosphere with a fair amount of knowledgeable fans from both teams.

Luke is the key component and it goes without saying we need to keep him out of foul trouble.

When Henry plays close to the basket and uses traditional big man moves he is most effective.
When he forces things almost nothin good happens.

Traci and Cheatem together are a good combination.

We are going to need to learn how to play defense against quick and athletic players. That kid Justice for them was quicker than anyone on our team and made a lot of good plays by exploiting his skill.  There are going to be lots of guys in conference with that same ability set .

I think the cupcakes are coming at a good time, we can fatten our record with them and gain some experience for guys like Anim and Heldt. If refs keep calling things tight those two need to be able to contribute meaningfully.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:34:17 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »
- Not 1-4 as some predicted
- Won twice on national TV.
- Win in Madison and sweep December at home and in line for the Big Dance

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:49 PM »
You can't see it, but I'm giving this post a standing ovation.

Same here.

I no longer watch football at all and 1 foul every 52 seconds is just nuts, absolutely nuts!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
ESPN showed highlights of the NC State/LSU game...again all about Simmons. Not a peep about the Marquette/ASU game. They showed the consolation game but not the championship. They also had room for Oklahoma beating Incarnate Word by 30. Doesn't seem to make sense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 12:32:19 AM »
Isn't 'tussin mildly hallucinogenic at 3-4x the recommended dose?

ooooohhhhh yeah it is  :o
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
When Henry plays close to the basket and uses traditional big man moves he is most effective.
When he forces things almost nothin good happens.

Agreed.  Henry, when he gets the ball on the block in isolation, feels like almost 100%.  When he gets the ball at the top of the key or on the wing and tries to drive from a resting position seems like he often ends with a poor shot or, even worse, a charge. 

feedback