[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Go to 6 personal fouls  (Read 5497 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Go to 6 personal fouls
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »
Then we should stop complaining about the lack of defense and the lack of ability to keep anyone out of the paint. You can't defend with the new rules. Any contact, even if it's 100% initiated by a ball handler, is whistled. Can't play defense.

You can defend with the new rules... just don't put your hands on the other guy.  It's basketball, not a sixth grade dance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »
They are calling the game the way it use to be played. This physical, lots of contact started with Bobby Knight back in the early 70s.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
They are calling the game the way it use to be played. This physical, lots of contact started with Bobby Knight back in the early 70s.

Yup, and in the long run it will be good for the game.  The fouls will lessen over time as the players get used to the new rules.  With the shorter shot clock you need to cut down on the physicality allowed on defense.  Last night was painful to watch, though.  I thought we really got the benefit of the whistle.  They could let some of the incidental stuff going after rebounds go.

Anyway, I think these rules will lead to opening up offense and to more 78-75 games and less 51 -48 games and I'm all for that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »

Yup, and in the long run it will be good for the game.  The fouls will lessen over time as the players get used to the new rules.

Well first I struggle with the idea that going back to how basketball was played 40 years ago is preferable much less doable.  Basketball is more physical at every level.  High school, college and pros.  During that timeframe, both college and pro basketball in particular have become very popular. 

What ails college basketball isn't excessive physicality.  What ails college basketball is that the NBA saps up a ton of the scoring talent.  Look at Henry for instance.  He is very good, but struggling a bit with the offensive side of the game.  Back in the day you would get four years out of him and by the time he was a senior he'd be a 20/10 guy.  MU will likely lose him after one or two years though only to be replaced with another guy who struggles offensively.

But what annoys me is that the NCAA comes up with these "directives" or "points of emphasis" every few years that hampers the game in the meantime.  If I were a random college basketball fan, I would have turned that game off last night in about five minutes.  How does that help the game?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
5 fouls is plenty.

What the NCAA needs to do is nothing... Meaning, stop changing rules or points of emphasis every year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
5 fouls is plenty.

What the NCAA needs to do is nothing... Meaning, stop changing rules or points of emphasis every year.

I agree.  The rule changes are stupid.  But if they are going to make these the new rules, then also adapt to the fact that more fouls will be called and give players a chance to actually stay on the court for a majority of the game.  Seeing which team can weather foul trouble is not fun for either team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »
I can live with a lot of bad officiating if it's consistently and fairly bad.
In this game it was consistently bad. Can't go so far as to say it was fair.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
I know Im in the minority.  But to me, this had to be done.  As it was before, you never knew wheat you were going to get.  A ref that allows bumping hand checking etc, or one that calls it.  Different styles of teams could benefit from the refs "interpretation" of the rules.  The game evolved(poorly IMO) over the years.  To the point where getting position wasnt that important any longer.  Could you shove your guy off the block far enough?  Can you hand check and bump him off his drive?  Ugly IMO and it was too inconsistent.  Plain and simple players need to adjust.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »
Are you nuts? A foul every 50 seconds and you want more? They are destroying the game.
Calling offensive fouls on push offs probably would not result in more fouls called. I seen several defenders called for fouls after the offensive player has repeatedly pushed them away. It just changes who the foul is called on.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
I have felt for a long time that they should go to four fouls and change offensive fouls to turnovers and not fouls. In that situation Fischer would not of fouled out last night. He had two offensive fouls and three defensive fouls.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »
I agree.  The rule changes are stupid.  But if they are going to make these the new rules, then also adapt to the fact that more fouls will be called and give players a chance to actually stay on the court for a majority of the game.  Seeing which team can weather foul trouble is not fun for either team.

BTW - The rules haven't changed.  They are simply being enforced.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
I have felt for a long time that they should go to four fouls and change offensive fouls to turnovers and not fouls. In that situation Fischer would not of fouled out last night. He had two offensive fouls and three defensive fouls.

I think I could get behind that, especially if it deters people from flopping.

However, I think you would see less defensive emphasis on taking a charge.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »
6 fouls in a 40 minute game.  No thanks.

Players, coaches, refs have to adjust.  This is the beginning of a new season, with new rules, new emphasis and directives.  It will sort itself out just fine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 02:13:05 PM »
Per, KPom, MU is #17 in the nation at NOT fouling, as measured by free throw rate (24.1% vs. national average of 38.8%).  On the offensive end, MU is getting more calls than average (45.7%).  Of course, MU is turning it over at one of the highest rates #295 at 21.6% with the frosh at point, with a lot of offensive fouls across the line-up.

brandx

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »

That could be a good thing, though as charging/blocking fouls are the hardest to make.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

I would worry about an uptick in injuries if a charge is not as punitive as it is now.  It would result in much more aggressive play.  Maybe make a distinction between a charge and all other offensive fouls, and still make charges a foul?
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback