[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Go to 6 personal fouls  (Read 5498 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Go to 6 personal fouls
« on: November 24, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
If they're going to call games like this they need to go to 6 personal fouls for disqualification. Every team runs into foul trouble every game. Definitely takes away from the game. Makes having depth that much more important.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Go to 6 personal fouls
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
I disagree, every season starts like this as teams and refs adjust to new rules. Have to think it will balance out in the next 6 weeks or so.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »
This game sucks. Just stop changing the rules emphasis every year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »
This game sucks. Just stop changing the rules emphasis every year.

It's brutal.  Both ways.  I can't stand games where there's a whistle every time down the court.  And there's a whistle damn near every time down the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:28:06 PM »
This makes sense to me only because there are less (scholly) players on a college roster than the pros, and a shorter shot clock will result in more possessions and more fouls.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
51 fouls. Woof.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
It's not fun to watch.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:33:05 PM »
Ypu guys are like the girl who goes on Jerry Springer to find out her boyfriend is cheating on her only to go after the other girl.  Dumbass, your BOYFRIEND is the one cheating on you, not the other girl. Go after him.

Don't like the fouls?  The blame is on the players, not the refs.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
Ypu guys are like the girl who goes on Jerry Springer to find out her boyfriend is cheating on her only to go after the other girl.  Dumbass, your BOYFRIEND is the one cheating on you, not the other girl. Go after him.

Don't like the fouls?  The blame is on the players, not the refs.
I agree! If it's a foul by the rules, it's has to be called. It was even both ways.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:51 PM »
I agree! If it's a foul by the rules, it's has to be called. It was even both ways.

I can live with a lot of bad officiating if it's consistently and fairly bad.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
The players need to adjust.  Five fouls is plenty.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »
The players need to adjust.  Five fouls is plenty.

Not when you move your feet and stay in great defending position but get called for a foul because the offensive player initiates contact.

Having every starter on both teams with 2 fouls in the first half is not good for the game, unless they go to 6 personal fouls, in which case it doesn't matter as much.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:03:55 PM »
Yes, the players need to adjust to the rules and the calling....no argument there.  But the quality of officiating was not consistent at all.  Very questionable calls all night (unfortunately the most obvious/telecasted ones went our way).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:06:46 PM »
Not when you move your feet and stay in great defending position but get called for a foul because the offensive player initiates contact.

Having every starter on both teams with 2 fouls in the first half is not good for the game, unless they go to 6 personal fouls, in which case it doesn't matter as much.
Nailed it again Wades.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »
Those refs sucked, this game was in no way representative of what can be expected with the new rules.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
I didn't think any of the fouls called against ASU's big guy were fouls. He fouled out in 7 minutes. If you don't want to blame the officials, then we should blame whoever came up with all of these ticky tacky rules. It's no wonder why no one watches these regular season free throw contests.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
The new enforcements were known before the season. They were emphasized in all the preseason scrimmages and exhibitions. Now everyone's acting like it's a surprise. If the players don't want to be called, don't get as physical.

Everyone knows the deal. I can't imagine the coaches didn't emphasize the importance of this. This isn't on the refs, it's on the players. The NCAA is trying to increase scoring and this is part of it. Shorter shot clock, reducing physical defending, this is all exactly what they said was coming.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »

Correct - but tonight's fouls occurred because the players haven't adjusted yet.  Which is why I said..."the players need to adjust."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
Correct - but tonight's fouls occurred because the players haven't adjusted yet.  Which is why I said..."the players need to adjust."

They do need to adjust but I also think there are a few calls where defenders get punished for staying in front of/in good defensive position on the ball handler.  There was one on I believe JJJ in particular in the middle of the second half that I thought JJJ did a great job of staying with the ball handler and the ball handler put his shoulder right into JJJ's chest and he got whistled for a foul.  Same with Hank's drive in the 2nd half that should've been a charge.  Duane's block call was correct, the defender was clearly still sliding sideways and underneath him.  There was also one on Luke either late first half or early 2nd half where the ball handler just ran straight into a straight up and down, planted Luke and got the call.  It's brutal.  It's one thing to lock down on defenders "riding" a ball handler.  It's another to punish good defense.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »
It's brutal.  Both ways.  I can't stand games where there's a whistle every time down the court.  And there's a whistle damn near every time down the court.

I did something tonite that I didn't think I would do. I didn't do it in the Iowa game, but tonite I turned off the game. I couldn't take it anymore. I would never waste my time watching guys practice free throws, but that's all this game was.

The officials do not know what to do. They just know they have to keep on blowing the whistle. And that is not what I am going to watch.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 10:39:39 PM »
They need to call more fouls. They should ding the offensive players that are pushing off. It makes no sense that a defensive player cannot put his hands on an offensive player, but the offensive player can push the defender away.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »
They do need to adjust but I also think there are a few calls where defenders get punished for staying in front of/in good defensive position on the ball handler.  There was one on I believe JJJ in particular in the middle of the second half that I thought JJJ did a great job of staying with the ball handler and the ball handler put his shoulder right into JJJ's chest and he got whistled for a foul.  Same with Hank's drive in the 2nd half that should've been a charge.  Duane's block call was correct, the defender was clearly still sliding sideways and underneath him.  There was also one on Luke either late first half or early 2nd half where the ball handler just ran straight into a straight up and down, planted Luke and got the call.  It's brutal.  It's one thing to lock down on defenders "riding" a ball handler.  It's another to punish good defense.

The mistaken calls show that the refs need to adjust too.  Giving a 6th foul would prevent the goal - less physical play - from ever materializing.  Patience.

We just won two games we weren't expected to win.  Enjoy your evening.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »
They need to call more fouls. They should ding the offensive players that are pushing off. It makes no sense that a defensive player cannot put his hands on an offensive player, but the offensive player can push the defender away.

Are you nuts? A foul every 50 seconds and you want more? They are destroying the game.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »
Are you nuts? A foul every 50 seconds and you want more? They are destroying the game.

When fouls are called at this rate it ruins all flow. I'm glad they won, but find college basketball harder to watch every year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 11:03:03 PM »
The new enforcements were known before the season. They were emphasized in all the preseason scrimmages and exhibitions. Now everyone's acting like it's a surprise. If the players don't want to be called, don't get as physical.

Everyone knows the deal. I can't imagine the coaches didn't emphasize the importance of this. This isn't on the refs, it's on the players. The NCAA is trying to increase scoring and this is part of it. Shorter shot clock, reducing physical defending, this is all exactly what they said was coming.

Then we should stop complaining about the lack of defense and the lack of ability to keep anyone out of the paint. You can't defend with the new rules. Any contact, even if it's 100% initiated by a ball handler, is whistled. Can't play defense.

feedback