[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's live and die with Carter please  (Read 7446 times)

mattyv1908

• All American
Let's live and die with Carter please
« on: November 24, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
Picked up family from the airport so had to watch the game late.

If we're going to have an up and down year, can we at least do it with Carter running the show?  He's the only player on the team who looks like a point guard.  He wasn't perfect.  He had some mistakes.  He was also the guy that had this team operating as it should and did a great job of getting the offense initiated.

Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Let's live and die with Carter please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:59:26 AM »
It really is the smart move. Help him develop this year so he's really ready next year as Rowsey joins to help.

And it doesn't halt Cheatam growth playing out of position like Zach Lavine with the wolves.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 06:19:39 AM »
It really is the smart move. Help him develop this year so he's really ready next year as Rowsey joins to help.

And it doesn't halt Cheatam growth playing out of position like Zach Lavine with the wolves.

It's never bad to have a 2G who can play some point in a pinch.

But I agree....Traci is the guy. He played well.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 06:21:33 AM »
Agree 100%. The offense runs so much smoother with Engine. He'll make mistakes and needs lots of work on the defensive end but it allows guys like DU and Cheatham to play their natural 2.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:30:19 AM »
I really felt like Traci was SOTG until about the last 3 minutes. Needs to learn how to close the game, but he still only had 3 turnovers. There's clearly room to grow and he didn't have a great scoring night, but I loved his passing, rebounding, and aggressiveness. It's very early in his career, but he has the best skillset for a Marquette PG since Dominic James. I'm all for rolling with the kid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:35:36 AM »
Carter gets way out of position on D, but giving him playing time should help him improve more quickly. It doesn't appear to be a basketball IQ thing, just an experience thing.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
He is our natural point. Let him roll.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »
Carter has the essentials at PG. He needs college level experience. There will be some growing pains along the way. I still think he needs to distribute the ball more, but that will come with time. The cupcakes will be a good training ground.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »
Agreed, 100%. His ball handling and quickness are impressive for a freshman (leaps and bounds better than Derrick's making him a consistent threat to score or penetrate and dish--so back to 5 on 5 bball). The gaffes will come early on and perhaps throughout season, but he can be a bona fide starting PG for the next 3 or 4 years in blue and gold.

Another good get by Wojo.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »
The Engine needs to get the majority of minutes.  Quite good in the half court, and he'll score a little when he's comfortable.  Cheatham may improve as he learns the position, but I'd rather he utilize that nice driving ability off the ball.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
Thought Carter really got the offense moving yesterday...his stat line looks familiar to a guard that just graduated.

Funny how because his name isn't Derrick Wilson, everyone is on board.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:03:12 AM »
So because his stat line looked familiar to Derrick Wilson's career numbers last night, you think he's a similar guard to Wilson?

A quantum leap in logic there.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
I am not saying they are the same player, but Wilson had plenty of games like this and many were angry at him for it (usually with less turnovers). I believe Traci has better upside than Wilson did, however its just funny to see how quickly people love someone similar to one they hated while putting up similar stat lines.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:09:24 AM by robmufan »

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »
Guess the name Derrick Wilson is still taboo around here.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
I get your point. But Carter does one thing of supreme importance already that Wilson was never able to do: opens the floor up for his teammates. Remember those half-court sets with Wilson running the point. The defense would collapse into the paint like it was a black hole and we would be forced into passing around the perimeter before jacking up a low percentage shot.

Carter's game already passes the eye test; DW's never did.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Not a major uptick over the previous PG. Watching him last night I did not see anything to make me believe he is the answer long term. PG is too important of position not to have a stud playing it. I hope he is a solid backup a year from now and not the main PG.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
Not a major uptick over the previous PG. Watching him last night I did not see anything to make me believe he is the answer long term. PG is too important of position not to have a stud playing it. I hope he is a solid backup a year from now and not the main PG.
So four games in as a freshman, he's still an improvement over a senior PG last year? I'll take that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
Haanif had another rough game against high major talent--a 62.5% turnover percentage! The Engine wasn't great, especially at the end, with a 31% rate, but that is 100% better than HC.  Growing pains, but TC is our future at PG so let's stick with him.  Haanif is a very good finisher at the rim as a combo guard.  Wojo needs to put these kids in a position to be most successful.  All are very talented.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »

I totally agree.  If we want this program to reach high levels, we need a stud point guard.  The Cheatham experiment at the point is a disaster.  He is going to be a very good player at the 2/3 position that can handle the rock but he is not a point guard.  I can see Carter being a good point guard in a few years but we could really use a high level impact point guard.  We have not had one in such a long time.  James being the last one.  Junior was average especially since he was he was surround by elite talent but looks better and better with each passing year with the point guards we have been rolling out.  I would think a stud point guard would be easy to recruit with the coaching staff here and the talent that are at other positions.  Give me a dynamic point guard over a big with that last ship and we will have the makings of a great team.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
Agreed. Roll with Carter. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
Traci isn't an engine so much as he's a conundrum right now.  He plays good ball for 38 minutes but is showing early signs of being prone to mistakes in crunch time.

Do you take a guy who can run your offense like Diener the whole game but turns into Derrick Wilson down the stretch.  Or do you take a guy like Cadougan who basically plays middle-of-the-road most of the game showing flashes from time-to-time of both greatness and stupidity.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), this team has neither of these guys right now, but it demonstrates how I feel about Traci.  In other words, I'm not sure what I'd rather have... a PG who just "hangs around" all game or one that leads the charge only to piss everything away in the last minute.

Mental mistakes can often be fixed... that's why I'm still optimistic that Traci can get through this, making this whole discussion moot.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
Roll with the engine.
1) he's a frosh.
2) it was his first start against a top 25 team.
3) Not just him, but the whole team looked rough against the press.

He'll evolve. Wade wasn't a solid guard his first games, look what he turned into.

Sh!t quick edit... I'm not saying he is wade like or will be like wade.. I am saying, it takes time for freshman, we need to remember that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
Could some of you losers be any more impatient?  :o  The kid gets his first real shot last night and performed admirable against a very quick, Top 25 team.  Yes, he had some defensive lapses.  Yes, he mishandled the ball a couple of times.  But Traci is a quality Frosh PG with a significant upside.

I'll point to one second half play.  Duane feeds HE twice in a position where he couldn't quite get comfortable.  Much to HE's credit, he didn't force the issue, but rather found Traci who had moved to the exact correct spot to bail out his big man, received the pass and then threaded a perfect backside pass to Fishy for the slam.  It was freakin' textbook.  Not picking on Derrick but he didn't make that good a pass in 4 years.  Moreover, Traci's 'good enough for a Frosh' play at the PG puts guys like our 4 wings (DU, JjJ, Chief, and Haanif) in positions to do what THEY DO BEST as none are built to be primary PGs and are misused in that role.  I'm even remembering a Traci drive where he kicked the ball in absolutely perfect rhythm to JjJ for a well timed (and swished) corner three.  When a PG is doing his job on offense, his teammates get the ball exactly when and where they need it to be effective.  Carter brings that better than any young PG we've had since Dom.

He'll certainly need a break.  But between now and the start of conference he needs 30-32 minutes every night.  We'll be better off in league if Wojo let's him grow.   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:31:20 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Quoting myself?  Typo.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:07:31 PM by jsglow »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Weren't his 3 turnovers all against the press?  Coachable and correctable.  Which would give him 9 assists and 0 turnovers in the half court.  In his fourth ever game, and first time getting more than 14 minutes.  Wait until he starts making a few shots, and he will.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
It's never bad to have a 2G who can play some point in a pinch.

But I agree....Traci is the guy. He played well.

It is when the guy isn't good at the position, is a stud(in haanif case potential stud) at other positions and is playing the position more than in a pinch.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
Traci is fine. By the end of the season, he will be better than junior year Derrick.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 05:08:41 PM »
Traci is fine. By the end of the season, he will be better than junior year Derrick.

Overall sure.  Not on the defensive end.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »
Done. Finished. Just STFU if you think Traci shouldn't be our PG.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 09:28:52 PM »
Sold

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
Why was this even a thing? Haanif as a PG?  What did Wojo see in practice that surpassed what we all saw in Europe?   Why recruit a PG only to start your SG recruit at PG?   This never made sense. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 09:41:15 PM »
Traci should start...but I like the fact that Haanif has some experience now.  I prefer developing Haanif over sliding Duane over when Traci is out.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »
Traci should start...but I like the fact that Haanif has some experience now.  I prefer developing Haanif over sliding Duane over when Traci is out.

Good point. I think Wojo is learning that despite Duane's high school experience as a point guard, his decision making isn't strong enough to be a BEast point. So, Haanif gets some run and some experience and will be able to hold his own in the position. But the PG role needs to be Traci's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »

Remember that Rowsey has that position next year so anything Wojo does is temporary.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
Remember that Rowsey has that position next year so anything Wojo does is temporary.

I actually think they'll play Rowsey off of the ball most of the time, with some spot time at PG.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
You don't move Tony Miller out of the PG spot.

Give Traci the keys and ask for them back in 4 years.  Traci could very well be the best recruit Wojo will ever bring in.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
Stay healthy, Mr. Carter.  For we will struggle mightily in your absence.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »

Yep, but foul trouble, injuries, etc make it essential to have a viable Plan B this season.

brandx

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 10:52:36 PM »
Done. Finished. Just STFU if you think Traci shouldn't be our PG.

Yes.

Led the team with 42 minutes played - one turnover.

13 pts, 4 rbs, 4 assists, 3 steals.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Yes.

Led the team with 42 minutes played - one turnover.

13 pts, 4 rbs, 4 assists, 3 steals.

I agree. I will say I did curse him 3 times in the last 2 min of the game with some silly "hero freshman" type plays. But he sealed it today, he's our PG.

I'm excited to see other people talk about they see him as a bench player next year cause we need better.

brandx

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2015, 12:11:08 AM »
I agree. I will say I did curse him 3 times in the last 2 min of the game with some silly "hero freshman" type plays. But he sealed it today, he's our PG.

I'm excited to see other people talk about they see him as a bench player next year cause we need better.

You're right. He's a freshman who is going to make mistakes. But watch any college game and you will see upperclassmen making mistakes as well. I'm on board with Traci for the next 4 years.

Considering he led the team tonight in minutes played, I'm guessing Wojo is on board too.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2015, 12:25:12 AM »
Thomas Bilde ‏@BasketBilde  3h3 hours ago Bahamas
Enjoying some @MarquetteMBB  in the Bahamas @tra_carter aka "The Engine" doing work! #mubb #greatWin @steve_wojo

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2015, 12:43:54 AM »

Definitely not.

Guys this year are not just going to get great minutes then just lose them to a guy who transfered from UNC Asheville.

Will Rowsey get minutes? Of course.

Is he automatically taking Carter job? Put the pipe down.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2015, 03:28:25 AM »
Definitely not.

Guys this year are not just going to get great minutes then just lose them to a guy who transfered from UNC Asheville.

yep, Rowsey gets 15-20 mins next year, half at the 2 and half at the point.  He'll be Mr. Instant Offense off the bench as a 2, then slide to point to give the Engine some idle time..
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
I actually think they'll play Rowsey off of the ball most of the time, with some spot time at PG.

Perhaps.  But we're pretty log jammed at #2 and #3.  He'll be a different kind of PG but a PG nonetheless.  I guess in the scenario being discussed DU could initiate the offense with Rowsey in the 'Steve Kerr' position.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
Definitely not.

I'm sorry, perhaps you misunderstood what I tried to say.  Rowsey will back up Traci next year (and probably see a little (maybe) at the #2 or for zone busting)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 08:06:04 AM »
Let's let next year happen when we get there. Maybe Rowsey is another Diener, who Wojo can't afford to take of the floor, maybe he's another Jake Thomas who is best used situationally.

Right now, I'm happy we have a point guard MU fans are actually agreeing on. Traci looks like our best option at the point since James.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.