'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's reaction to Wilson's quick three point attempt  (Read 10102 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Wojo's reaction to Wilson's quick three point attempt
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 09:19:07 PM »
Except that Fischer is in the near block, not the far block. That's a big difference because Fischer would have likely had to clear out to the near wing if he saw Wilson drive, so as to force Simmons to make a decision. Based on that positioning, its tough to see a scenario where Fischer can get in a position to receive the ball within striking distance of the hoop unless it was following up a contested layup from Wilson.
No way Luke clears out--Duane should have taken it to the rack and if Simmons steps up he Ilya to Luke. Watch it again.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 09:29:21 PM »
Except that Fischer is in the near block, not the far block. That's a big difference because Fischer would have likely had to clear out to the near wing if he saw Wilson drive, so as to force Simmons to make a decision. Based on that positioning, its tough to see a scenario where Fischer can get in a position to receive the ball within striking distance of the hoop unless it was following up a contested layup from Wilson.

Fischer is on the low near block.  If you watch him on the rebound he moves toward the free throw line and middle of the lane.  In that starting position, he would have been wide open for a hand off dunk as Simmons would have had to commit to Wilson.  Much better shot.  In addition, if he pushes the issue there is a greater chance that he gets fouled as the defense rotates back or Simmons hits him on the way up.

For me, the team is up one and shooting a three, especially with MU's track record, isn't worth the risk.  If Marquette works down the clock and scores, LSU has ~15-20 seconds to  hit a three to tie or hit a two, get a steal or foul and missed free throws.  When you have 37 seconds, a three doesn't win it for it you so why take a more challenging shot. 

If MU doesn't score, then they are in the same position they were in at the end of the game anyway.  Simmons taking the ball up with court with 10 seconds. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
Duane has to take that to the hoop to draw a foul or to dump it to Luke for a possible +1 and to take time off.  LSU would have fouled.  The clock is your opponent there.  LSU was out of time outs.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »
If we ended up losing, Wojo would have made Du wear nothing but tighty whities at the next practice.

He just might anyway.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 11:05:57 PM »
I was at the Barclays. Our entire section screamed NOOOOOOOOO right as Duane pulled up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 05:13:21 AM »
Bad shot no doubt. He's five games into his sophomore year and is a legit player though. He will learn.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »
Bad shot no doubt. He's five games into his sophomore year and is a legit player though. He will learn.

LSU gives him that shot for a reason. They know it is a low percentage opportunity.

Down 1, that is a whole lot better than fouling to get the ball back (although we missed our share of free throws last night too!).

Forget this tidy whiteys thing. Do it again and Wojo might SHOOT Duane himself!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 07:28:05 AM »
I was at the Barclays. Our entire section screamed NOOOOOOOOO right as Duane pulled up.

I didn't meet you last night. Hope to tonight. I was probably right near you shouting NOOOOO with you.

(Of course, if it went in, I would have swiftly changed to, "Yesssss!")
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
That is hilarious replay (glad able to say that with W).

Clock was as much the opponent as LSU.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Then it's no wonder the shot was off...probably threw him off his game ;)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 07:50:28 AM »
Wojo-s reaction was priceless.

Duane shot it with just above 30 seconds to go.  You don't have to worry about 2 for 1 there anyway.  When LSU is down one they are not going to hold for a late shot clock shot (in case they missed), so we were very likely going to get another crack at it if LSU scored.  I can't explain it, but I was fine with the shot he took against Belmont but I did not like this one.  I think because this time he had a nice lane to take it to the hoop.

Anyway, the biggest brain cramp was Cheatham's ill-advised drive to nowhere.  At least Duane's shot had a chance of a positive outcome.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 07:56:39 AM »
I could not watch the game last night....but I CAN"T stop watching this....it is so perfect...visual summary of what it must be like for a guy to coach 18-19 year old high-level talents in D-1 hoops....absolutely perfect!    Probably also is a clue as to why every coach is on high blood pressure medications...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
Looks like WoJo is holds my his arms up to tell him to stop - hard to say.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
Still amazed at all the hating on Wilson by several. According to them he should ride the pines. The guy is the team's leading scorer that returns. After 4 games this year, he is tied for 2nd in scoring, he is 2nd in assists and 2nd in steals. He can shoot FT's, etc., and is capable of 20 or even 30 on occasion, yet he shoots a couple shots that are questionable, and people want him sent to the minors. Had he made either of those, the tune would be different. But the critics go out of their way to dis the guy. Take a look at Henry's stats and people rave on him. Nothing against Henry, but for the 10th rated player in the country, he has a lot to learn, including D, quit hanging on the perimeter, and quit bringing the ball up on the break. Henry will be a great one in another year or so, but I just do not get the pissing on Wilson by some. There is plenty of pissing to go around.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:23 AM »
Still amazed at all the hating on Wilson by several. According to them he should ride the pines. The guy is the team's leading scorer that returns. After 4 games this year, he is tied for 2nd in scoring, he is 2nd in assists and 2nd in steals. He can shoot FT's, etc., and is capable of 20 or even 30 on occasion, yet he shoots a couple shots that are questionable, and people want him sent to the minors. Had he made either of those, the tune would be different. But the critics go out of their way to dis the guy. Take a look at Henry's stats and people rave on him. Nothing against Henry, but for the 10th rated player in the country, he has a lot to learn, including D, quit hanging on the perimeter, and quit bringing the ball up on the break. Henry will be a great one in another year or so, but I just do not get the pissing on Wilson by some. There is plenty of pissing to go around.

Agreed.  Duane is four games into his sophomore season.  He has a bunch to learn but he is going to be just fine.

My only disagreement with you willie is that Henry can hit threes.  I believe he was 2 for 2 last night.  That has to be part of his arsenal so he does have to hang out there occasionally. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
LSU gives him that shot for a reason. They know it is a low percentage opportunity.

Down 1, that is a whole lot better than fouling to get the ball back (although we missed our share of free throws last night too!).

Forget this tidy whiteys thing. Do it again and Wojo might SHOOT Duane himself!
or LSU's defense was just flat-out terrible. I really don't think they had the foresight to give one of our better 3-point shooters a wide open look to make it a 2 possession game.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Agreed.  Duane is four games into his sophomore season.  He has a bunch to learn but he is going to be just fine.

My only disagreement with you willie is that Henry can hit threes.  I believe he was 2 for 2 last night.  That has to be part of his arsenal so he does have to hang out there occasionally.

To be fair, he is a redshirt sophomore, so he has had as much college coaching as junior JaJuan.  Just lacks the game experience he has.
Have some patience, FFS.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
Nothing against Henry, but for the 10th rated player in the country, he has a lot to learn, including D, quit hanging on the perimeter, and quit bringing the ball up on the break.

HE will certainly continue to bring the ball up on the break following his rebound. It's an asset that Wojo feels he can exploit. Similar to hanging around the perimeter, these are spots where Wojo wants him. Have you seen Wojo screaming on the sideline telling HE to get away from the perimeter? Or to give the ball to a guard after a rebound?
The issues you bring up are more a Wojo issue than a HE issue.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »
To be fair, he is a redshirt sophomore, so he has had as much college coaching as junior JaJuan.  Just lacks the game experience he has.
Yeah, I guess DW is the new Derrick. Now we can talk about who is the better defender, shooter, rebounder, and of course, FT's.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 01:55:05 PM »

how was the attendance because it looked sparse on TV?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

I think you're overreacting pretty radically here.  I don't see anybody who says Duane should be pinned to the bench or "sent to the minors."  I see people saying Duane made a bad decision, two separate times, in the same situation, in our 4 games this year.  Which, well, Duane has made the same bad decision in 2 of our 4 games this year.  Whether it was Kobe Bryant in his prime, Dwyane Wade against Kentucky in '03, Ners in high school, an 8th grader in the Padre Serra consolation championship, or Diener in noon ball, that was a bad decision.  Calling it what it was isn't calling Duane a bad basketball player who shouldn't see the court.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:29:52 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
I think you're overreacting pretty radically here.  I don't see anybody who says Duane should be pinned to the bench or "sent to the minors."  I see people saying Duane made a bad decision, twice, in the same situation, in 4 games this year.  Which, well, Duane has made the same bad decision in 2 of our 4 games this year.  Whether it was Kobe Bryant in his prime, Dwyane Wade against Kentucky in '03, Ners in high school, an 8th grader in the Padre Serra consolation championship, or Diener in noon ball, that was a bad decision.  Calling it what it was isn't calling Duane a bad basketball player who shouldn't see the court.

Exactly, I made this post, and in no way did I mean it as DW should be benched. He made a mistake, and I'm sure he will learn for it.

I just thought it was funny how Wojo reacted. I had to rewind it a few times while watching and thought others would enjoy it as well.

JD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
gotta love how he held up the' ol "swish hand" as it barely hit the rim
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »
DWill always shoots with the extended follow through--not a "swish" sign.