[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Simmons  (Read 10385 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: Simmons
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »

Dana O'Neil
ESPN Senior Writer

Identified dude jawing at Simmons: Andrew Rowset, transfer from UNC Asheville who is sitting out this year

Makes me hopeful Rowsey can bring some toughness next year. that last foul on ellenson was rightly called, however simmons definitely flopped

Great! Rowsey is my new favorite player. Wonder what he said. Simmons definitely lost it for a few moments.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:13:55 AM by Mutaman »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
Rowsey, not Rowset.

Simmons is special. Best freshman I've seen since Anthony Davis.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
saw this on espn:

Dana O'Neil
ESPN Senior Writer

Some dude in a polo shirt on Marquette bench just jawed at Simmons after he drew a foul and nearly took out Steve Wojciechowski sliding by bench. Simmons responded ...
 2h

Dana O'Neil
ESPN Senior Writer

Identified dude jawing at Simmons: Andrew Rowset, transfer from UNC Asheville who is sitting out this year

Makes me hopeful Rowsey can bring some toughness next year. that last foul on ellenson was rightly called, however simmons definitely flopped

Rowsey is gonna be a stud. ESPN studio guys called him "some walk on". I wish we had him this year, and wouldnt* be surprised if he's one of our top 2 scorers next year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:28:18 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »
I agree with all the comments that he's a great player and that he'll be the #1 pick, etc... but the kid cannot shoot.  Name one successful NBA 3 or 4 these days who cannot shoot.  I wish him success, but as he is, he's Giannis, not LeBron.
He's also 18. Could be a special player with a jumpshot.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
Love that Rowsey was jawing at Simmons. Great, great player, but they may have overemphasized him a bit. I was very glad to see us win the game and shut them up a bit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »
The kid has excellent court awareness. That is what impressed me the most.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »
Great! Rowset is my new favorite player. Wonder what he said. Simmons definitely lost it for a few moments.

I liked that. Classic "my guy does it, it's cool, but the other guy did it? He's a punk" move. And Simmons definitely didn't like the words, which was easy to see as he's a pretty laconic kid.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 11:34:45 PM »
Thought the game was called very uneven with Simmons.  He lowered his shoulder at will and Luke and Henry were whistled when they did it.  Simmons dive on Henry's fifth was bad.  I thought LBJ was on the Garden floor for a minute.

Great talent...would have liked Henry to have the same whistles.

This, this, so much this. Simmons got the celebrity treatment all night. Anyone touched a hair on his head, it was a foul. Meanwhile he trucked Ellenson and Fischer on separate plays and no whistle.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 11:43:28 PM »
This, this, so much this. Simmons got the celebrity treatment all night. Anyone touched a hair on his head, it was a foul. Meanwhile he trucked Ellenson and Fischer on separate plays and no whistle.

So he's even more like Lebron than we thought

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:41 AM »
Thought the game was called very uneven with Simmons.  He lowered his shoulder at will and Luke and Henry were whistled when they did it.  Simmons dive on Henry's fifth was bad.  I thought LBJ was on the Garden floor for a minute.

Great talent...would have liked Henry to have the same whistles.

I agree, Blackie. It was frustrating how uneven the refs were.

Death on call

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 12:21:10 AM »
Part of the problem with judging the officiating is ESPN makes such horrible use of the replay. too busy showing parents in the crowd or coaches on the sideline. In real time Luke seemed to be getting the short end which makes his effort that much more special.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 05:09:55 AM »
Ellenson clearly fouled Simmons for his fifth. No question. And I thought the game was called just fine.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 06:53:11 AM »
Ellenson clearly fouled Simmons for his fifth. No question. And I thought the game was called just fine.

Agreed.  Ragged possession where Wojo should have called TO.  Still plenty of growth necessary.  Coaches too.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 07:01:14 AM »
Agreed.  Ragged possession where Wojo should have called TO.  Still plenty of growth necessary.  Coaches too.

Yep. Was screaming at the TV for a timeout after the nearly threw it away twice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:53 AM »
One of the bonus benefits to being at the game is that I didn't have to watch it on ESPN. I'm sure they talked about BS to a sickening level.

But ...

He is a special, once-every-few-years stud of a player. I'm thrilled I got to see him play in person. We were talking about him a lot at Barclays, and we're Warrior fans!

I do agree with those who said he got the star treatment all night from the refs. I thought Luke and Henry were called for barely fouling while Simmons was allowed to shove all night. But hey, that's going to happen sometimes and our Warriors overcame it in the end.

I'm with those who say that Simmons didn't HAVE to take the final shot to prove he was "the man." LeBron often doesn't. Jordan didn't in at least three of his most memorable games (set up Paxson for the winner in 93, set up Kerr for the winner in 97, set up Wennington for the winner in the famed "double-nickels game" at the Garden in 95). The great player makes everybody around him better and won't take on a triple-team if he has a wide-open teammate.

However, I will say that I am glad he passed instead of taking it to the hoop and, most likely, drawing the foul!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
Has anyone posted a more complete video of the final seconds, with Simmons not taking the shot? All I see on the ESPN highlights is Simmons receiving the ball and then passing out for the 3-pointer. I don't see the solid defense against Simmons at the outset that Homer and Mac talked about, 'forcing' him to make a pass instead of taking a shot.

As an aside, I also noticed that Johnson made absolutely no effort to block out Simmons, and if the ball had come off the rim in a slightly different way, Simmons was right there for the slam. Check it out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:40:36 AM by mug644 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
Has anyone posted a more complete video of the final seconds, with Simmons not taking the shot? All I see on the ESPN highlights is Simmons receiving the ball and then passing out for the 3-pointer. I don't see the solid defense against Simmons at the outset that Homer and Mac talked about, 'forcing' him to make a pass instead of taking a shot.

As an aside, I also noticed that Johnson made absolutely no effort to block out Simmons, and if the ball had come off the rim in a slightly different way, Simmons was right there for the slam. Check it out.

He shouldn't have passed the second time.  He should have put the ball on the floor to see what developed.  Instead he threw the ball out for an NBA range 3.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »

He shouldn't have passed the second time.  He should have put the ball on the floor to see what developed.  Instead he threw the ball out for an NBA range 3.

Basically what I was going to say. He made the right pass the first time but when he got it back, he didn't even look to attack. He immediately kicked it out and made an inaccurate pass. IIRC, he had 6'5" JJJ off-balance in front of him. He likely could have gone right to the rim and, at worst, gotten fouled. Doesn't matter though. MU got the win!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 08:35:42 AM »
Yes, Ellenson definitely pushed away the defender more than once on that play. I was complaining the night before when Koenig pushed away the defender several times and never got called for it. The offensive player should not get away with pushing the defender away, if they are not going to allow the defender to put his hands on the offensive player. It should go both ways.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:07 AM »
Basically what I was going to say. He made the right pass the first time but when he got it back, he didn't even look to attack. He immediately kicked it out and made an inaccurate pass. IIRC, he had 6'5" JJJ off-balance in front of him. He likely could have gone right to the rim and, at worst, gotten fouled. Doesn't matter though. MU got the win!

Again, I've not seen the longer sequence, but the ESPN highlight seems to show that the defense was heavily on his side of the court, and he knew time was short. Yea, he could've and maybe should've taken it himself, but swinging the ball around to a wide open shooter is often the best play. And, as you point out, it worked for MU!

Just watched it again, and, since we are playing a speculation game (what would've happened if he hadn't passed it that second time?), I can't help but again fret about JJJ's lack of blocking out and worry about what would've happened if the ball had come off the rim differently.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Yes, Ellenson definitely pushed away the defender more than once on that play. I was complaining the night before when Koenig pushed away the defender several times and never got called for it. The offensive player should not get away with pushing the defender away, if they are not going to allow the defender to put his hands on the offensive player. It should go both ways.

And that is why a defender exaggerates the contact like Simmons did.  It usually gives the ref no choice but to make the call.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 08:53:01 AM »
There was one play where Ellenson had his hands up and backed off and got called for fouling Simmons.  It was his 3rd or 4th foul and I thought it was a bad call.  Other than that, I didn't see anything I thought was too bad, and I can think of a few times where MU got away with some contact.  I thought the officials were fine.

I don't get worked up about the announcers because I don't pay much attention to them except to find out who fouls were on etc, and I often need them to tell me which of Duane Wilson or JuJuan Johnson it was that scored the latest hoop.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
I don't get worked up about the announcers because I don't pay much attention to them except to find out who fouls were on etc, and I often need them to tell me which of Duane Wilson or JuJuan Johnson it was that scored the latest hoop.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »

I know, although it is really just old eyes.  Same build, same hair, similar games, whipping around at the same speed.  I've got to get used to looking at numbers, I guess.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
I liked that. Classic "my guy does it, it's cool, but the other guy did it? He's a punk" move. And Simmons definitely didn't like the words, which was easy to see as he's a pretty laconic kid.

Watching the replay and his lips, Simmons hit Henry with a "FOH" after drawing the foul. I think that and sliding into Wojo made Rowsey call him a flopper, or probably something a bit more choice.  And you said it, I loved it given he's in blue and gold.