Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: LSU thoughts  (Read 16677 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: LSU thoughts
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
Duane tweeted "we going to the ship!"

And he's right... confidence is what this team needs!

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 09:17:32 PM »
Thought Henry and Fischer played well for lots of minutes with 4 fouls. Anim didn't play tonite. Is
Wojo sending a message. Even Wally didn't embarrass himself. Got 2 boards in a short time.
Liked the set plays we ran along the baseline.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
Belmont game wasn't. FSN isn't national.

FSN games are every bit as national as CBSSN, NBCSN, ESPNU, etc... a) quite a few FS regionals carried the game and b) FSN is available anywhere in the country on a sports tier.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
People are talking about the MU win:

Dick Vitale @DickieV
After getting ripped by Iowa @MarquetteMBB  shows heart & guts as it bounces back with W over @LSUBasketball

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  1h1 hour ago
The biggest thing we learned about Marquette tonight? Its veteran guards -- Duane Wilson & JaJuan Johnson -- are critical. Combined for 32.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
Sounds like a quote from someone who read the box score and didn't watch the game.
I agree DWill and JJJ are absolutely critical to the success of this team. Need to minimize the mistakes and regain the mental edge They both play with best.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Fischer played solid D on the foreigner Simmons all night.  Tough matchup for him.  Interesting that entire crowd at Barclays center was impressed by Fischer but our own fans act like JJJ was the clean winner for SOTG.  I think it was a tossup.

Ellenson solid too.  I can't believe we won despite him fouling out.  Solid win.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:31 PM »
It's been a LONG time since we have had a win like this (national television, ranked opponent).  Definitely good to build from.
We should have worn the baby blues.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »
1) We drove the basket and hit pull-up jumpers tonight. We didn't the other night.

2) We fought on the boards. That was critical. LSU felt us. Iowa didn't.

3) We hit just enough threes to stay in the game with them. But we did not live or die at the three point line.

4) Our dribble drives generally looked good.

5) Too much sloppy play and too much shoot without thinking.

6) Duane, you take another three with less than a minute left and a game on the line and someone from Scoop will do something mean. Very mean. When will you learn, they're giving you that shot for a reason?

7) If Wojo was to blame for Iowa, should he not be complimented for LSU?

8) How could we lose to Iowa so badly and then handle LSU as we did tonight -- with poise? We should be 4-0.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:58:38 PM by dgies9156 »

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »
OK, it was a nice win, but we beat an over-rated team that was basically playing pick-up ball.  LSU had no D at all, lots of bad shots, complete lack of offensive discipline, and one amazing player in Simmons.  Their coach did only one element of coaching during the whole game -  installing the press - and it worked well against freshmen guards. 

It goes in the books as a win against a ranked team... but we will see better teams and much better coaching in the BEAST.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »
1) We drove the basket and hit pull-up jumpers tonight. We didn't the other night.

2) We fought on the boards. That was critical. LSU felt us. Iowa didn't.

3) We hit just enough threes to stay in the game with them. But we did not live or die at the three point line.

4) Our dribble drives generally looked good.

5) Too much sloppy play and too much shoot without thinking.

6) Duane, you take another three with less than a minute left and a game on the line and someone from Scoop will cod something mean. Very mean. When will you learn, they're giving you that shot for a reason?

7) If Wojo was to blame for Iowa, should he not be complimented for LSU?

8) How could we lose to Iowa so badly and then handle LSU as we did tonight -- with poise? We should be 4-0.

Re: #8..I'll have what he's having. Hah.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
JIM BEAM

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2015, 05:18:31 AM »
OK, it was a nice win, but we beat an over-rated team that was basically playing pick-up ball.  LSU had no D at all, lots of bad shots, complete lack of offensive discipline, and one amazing player in Simmons.  Their coach did only one element of coaching during the whole game -  installing the press - and it worked well against freshmen guards. 

It goes in the books as a win against a ranked team... but we will see better teams and much better coaching in the BEAST.

I don't think anyone claimed different. Can't people just enjoy a win without finding reasons why it isn't that big of a deal?  It's the biggest win of Wojo's tenure.  Enjoy the ride.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2015, 06:13:29 AM »

I don't think anyone claimed different. Can't people just enjoy a win without finding reasons why it isn't that big of a deal?  It's the biggest win of Wojo's tenure.  Enjoy the ride.

Nattering nabobs of negativism will snatch the last ounce of joy from a game nobody thought we had a chance to win and replace it with the sadness appropriate to the Iowa game.

We could win a national title and they would be sad over it being one in a row.

GO WARRIORS. MAKE US PROUD AGAIN!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »
Nattering nabobs of negativism will snatch the last ounce of joy from a game nobody thought we had a chance to win and replace it with the sadness appropriate to the Iowa game.

Agree.  We did a lot of stuff wrong last night.  But we did enough right to overcome it and win the game.  That was the most enjoyable MU game in a few years, I think.  Exciting, down to the last shot against a tourney quality team and we won.  I'm happy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:10 AM »
FSN games are every bit as national as CBSSN, NBCSN, ESPNU, etc... a) quite a few FS regionals carried the game and b) FSN is available anywhere in the country on a sports tier.
FSN isn't national, it's a regional boardcast, that at times with no local game on, can show a national game. The Bucks game was only on in Wisconsin, not national on FSN. It's a RSN, not a national network. There are ton of regional RSN with the title FSN. FS Arizona, FS North, FS South, etc.

NBCSN, CBSN & ESPNU show national events to the whole nation. Huge difference, my friend!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:33:46 AM by bradley center bat »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »
Fischer played solid D on the foreigner Simmons all night.  Tough matchup for him.  Interesting that entire crowd at Barclays center was impressed by Fischer but our own fans act like JJJ was the clean winner for SOTG.  I think it was a tossup.

Ellenson solid too.  I can't believe we won despite him fouling out.  Solid win.

I thought Fisher was excellent last night. I really liked the way he was able to get the rebound and quickly get the ball to the guards to attack.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
But seriously, JJJ has become the player we always thought his highlight real said he'd be. Kid it showing a lot of moxie (or "swag" as the young kids say). Really happy with his maturity and growth.

Luke sort of had a coming out game in my eyes. Finished a lot stronger than I have seen him do ever. The shoulder and confidence is getting there. Plus he's the secret ingredient according to some sites...so Luke "the spice" Fischer is gonna be a really key part from here on out.  Glad the scouts in the stands noticed that too.

Frosh guards did frosh guard things. This was clear at the end. Just need to hope they get up to the speed of the college game sooner rather than later. I expect a lot of the veterans to help when the tires are spinning out of control like they did on a few possessions.

Duane had his best game for Marquette thus far. Looked a lot more in control than he has before. Sure the 3 was a bad break. I cursed at him for doing it. But after reflecting on it I can't blame him for taking a wide open three like that. I'd like to see him take more of a leader role like I mention above.

I spent a lot of time really happy with Sandy. He's the glue. One of the few on the defensive end that I was really impressed with. He has the grit and chip on his shoulder that would have played well in the hillbilly regime. It's clear the confidence in his play is eons ahead of where it was last year.

All in all, it was the type of game we expected out of Marquette before the season started: frosh mistakes, hard fought, talent discovering itself on the floor as it all played out. So far I think it's about where we thought it would be... (2-2, 3-1 was a lot of early predictions if I remember correctly...). Now on to the AZ state game... the Duke Guards/Stan Johnson grudge game.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:56:34 AM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Marquette has only five games on FS Wisconsin this year.

3 on ESPN2
3 on CBS Sports Network
2 on FOX
2 on FS2
17-20 on FS1 depending on how we do in the BET.

22-25 are on networks that you can get pretty much anywhere.  5 reach a national audience but on networks that aren't universal.  5 don't reach a national audience. 

That's pretty good.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
We should have worn the baby blues.

I read on the interwebs that they put on the baby blues to go back to the playground after the victory.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Marquette has only five games on FS Wisconsin this year.

3 on ESPN2
3 on CBS Sports Network
2 on FOX
2 on FS2
17-20 on FS1 depending on how we do in the BET.

22-25 are on networks that you can get pretty much anywhere.  5 reach a national audience but on networks that aren't universal.  5 don't reach a national audience. 

That's pretty good.

But it CAN reach a national level.  You to pay for it, but you can still get games aired on FS Wisconsin in New York, or California, or Texas, or anywhere. 

I've always found the "national tv" excuse hilarious.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
But it CAN reach a national level.  You to pay for it, but you can still get games aired on FS Wisconsin in New York, or California, or Texas, or anywhere. 

If that RSN has no local game.

This was the Belmont game on Nov. 13th
RSN affiliates
+ = Check local listings 
FOX Sports Arizona PLUS
 FOX Sports Detroit PLUS
 FOX Sports North PLUS
 FOX Sports South
 FOX Sports Sun
 FOX Sports Wisconsin
 MASN2
 ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain (JIP
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:24:07 AM by bradley center bat »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
If that RSN has no local game.

This was the Belmont game on Nov. 13th
RSN affiliates
+ = Check local listings 
FOX Sports Arizona PLUS
 FOX Sports Detroit PLUS
 FOX Sports North PLUS
 FOX Sports South
 FOX Sports Sun
 FOX Sports Wisconsin
 MASN2
 ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain (JIP

Not sure what your point is.  Every game is available to those that want to watch it. Most are on "national television".  End of story.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
Last night was an interesting watch for me personally. Having gotten to spend some time with Ben Simmons, and still keeping in contact with him, it was fun watching him play against MU.

That LSU offense was maddening to watch. I don't understand how you have a unique player like Simmons, and don't run every offensive set starting with the ball in his hands. Especially in the first half, they had zero ball movement, and were jacking up 3's with 10 plus seconds to go on the shot clock. As a pure basketball fan, it was maddening to watch Johnny Jones with a blank stare on his face all night.

All that said, MU had a look/determination I haven't seen yet under Wojo. Simply put, they weren't losing that game, they attacked and finished possessions virtually all night. LSU's team defense is terrible, but give credit to MU, they took full advantage, something they hadn't done at any point this year. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
Last night was an interesting watch for me personally. Having gotten to spend some time with Ben Simmons, and still keeping in contact with him, it was fun watching him play against MU.

Looks like we have to start calling Dish "Lil' Chicos".   ;)
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Not sure what your point is.  Every game is available to those that want to watch it. Most are on "national television".  End of story.

This.  You can get FSN on DirecTV.  Last I checked, DirecTV was available nationally.

Does it reach every household?  No.  But it's available.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.