[Today at 08:49:11 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[Today at 08:46:51 PM]

Oso's NBA profile by MuggsyB
[Today at 08:42:22 PM]

Omax declares by Newsdreams
[Today at 08:22:09 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 135539 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2017, 01:10:57 AM »
Cough....

Oh don't worry...they'll be back...after the next loss.  Unless MU wins the national championship this year!  They'll they'll be back sometime in November.  Or when he doesn't sign a top rated recruit.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #176 on: February 19, 2017, 04:49:34 AM »
Live and die by the 3 point shot ...... not a valid NCAA tournament success mantra. 

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 19, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »
Live and die by the 3 point shot ...... not a valid NCAA tournament success mantra.

It has to be this year.

Funny that you have Mid Major Mike Deane in you monikor.  He and Dukiet were the 2 laziest piece of crap recruiters MU has had in the last 70 years.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 19, 2017, 05:56:10 AM »

Basketball Prospectus did an article a few years ago that showed 3PA was correlated with winning in higher seeded in the tournament.  That's attempts, not makes.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #179 on: February 19, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »
Oh don't worry...they'll be back...after the next loss.  Unless MU wins the national championship this year!  They'll they'll be back sometime in November.  Or when he doesn't sign a top rated recruit.

Rocky, you have the power....

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #180 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

Is that all you have.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GWSwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #181 on: February 19, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »

Many teams have had success in the tournament by this montra look at Jon beilien's teams at WV. That doesn't mean I'm in support of living by the 3, just saying there are instances when it has lead to tournament success
Fear makes you dumb.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #182 on: February 19, 2017, 01:06:02 PM »

Just about the only opinion ole DarkGlasses has said that I agree with.

We will not go past the first round unless Fishy is a bigger part of our offense and we match the threes with a slashing offense.

JjJ has to be engaged and play defense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
We're the kind of team that no coach is really comfortable facing in a 1-and-done scenario.

We can be playing pretty bad and be down by a dozen. Then we get a 3, a steal, a 3, a stop, a 3 ... and it's a one-possession game in a matter of 30-40 seconds.

Obviously, we can have poor games, too, and we have. I'm just saying we're a confounding bunch.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
This is exactly the type of team that beats a #1 or 2 seed in the second round of the tourney. Not consistent enough for a sustained run but I would be terrified of us in the tourney as a high seed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but since beating Nova on their worst shooting night in a really, really, really long time at home, we've lost to St. John's, Providence, Butler, and Georgetown and beaten DePaul and a Xavier team without its 2 best players and having their 3rd (or 4th, if you want to say Macura is better than Gaston) limited to 22 minutes while another rotational player went down with an injury in the first half.

I don't think I'd be exactly shaking in my boots about the possibility of facing Marquette if I were a Kansas, Nova, UNC, or Oregon at the moment.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

I don't think I'd be exactly shaking in my boots about the possibility of facing Marquette if I were a Kansas, Nova, UNC, or Oregon at the moment.

I would.

Marquette has proven that on any given day, we can beat the best teams in the country, especially if we start lighting up the threes.

If Kansas, Nova, UNC, or Oregon want to dismiss us, they do so at their own peril.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:28:03 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but since beating Nova on their worst shooting night in a really, really, really long time at home, we've lost to St. John's, Providence, Butler, and Georgetown and beaten DePaul and a Xavier team without its 2 best players and having their 3rd (or 4th, if you want to say Macura is better than Gaston) limited to 22 minutes while another rotational player went down with an injury in the first half.

That says a lot, I would add that the game was not officiated in a typical Big East fashion.  It was officiated even handedly, but X was not allowed to employ their usual bullying style (Big East) and therefore, did not impose their will. 

I  think the refs tell the coaches and therefore teams what style of reffing to expect.  The refs did not let much slide by. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2017, 04:18:01 PM »
That says a lot, I would add that the game was not officiated in a typical Big East fashion.  It was officiated even handedly, but X was not allowed to employ their usual bullying style (Big East) and therefore, did not impose their will. 

I  think the refs tell the coaches and therefore teams what style of reffing to expect.  The refs did not let much slide by.

We won because of lousy officiating!  ::)

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
We won because of lousy officiating!  ::)

NO, NO, NO.
I  may not be a world class speller, but I  can write.  The officiating was a different style applied even handedly.  That is not the officiating style I  witnessed against St. Johns in NYC.  The problem is that our style of play is not typical Big East basketball. 

When Al McGuire snubed the NCAA tournament in favor of the NIT it was because he did not want to play out of his region.  It had to do with the style of officiating. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »
NO, NO, NO.
I  may not be a world class speller, but I  can write.  The officiating was a different style applied even handedly.  That is not the officiating style I  witnessed against St. Johns in NYC.  The problem is that our style of play is not typical Big East basketball. 

Newsflash...college basketball refereeing is inconsistent. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »

Wish I could disagree but I'm afraid you're right.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
How did Al know how the refs in a different region would officiate?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
I would.

Marquette has proven that on any given day, we can beat the best teams in the country, especially if we start lighting up the threes.

If Kansas, Nova, UNC, or Oregon want to dismiss us, they do so at their own peril.

Unfortunately all we've really proven is that on our home court if our good shooting opponent shoots 6 for 34 from 3 we can take advantage and beat them in the last possession of the game. I'm guessing Jay Wright is willing to concede that in a 1 and done situation if his team shoots 16% from 3 his team is probably on the "done" side of things, whether it's against Marquette or South Carolina.

I hope we get the chance to find out. I guess my point is the Nova game had less to do with us shooting the lights out and more to do with them shooting beyond horrendously, and they still had to give up a 17 point second half lead. To our credit, we took advantage and had a ginormous win. But if I were Jay and saw MU as the 8 seed in my bracket I'm not overly concerned.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
Unfortunately all we've really proven is that on our home court if our good shooting opponent shoots 6 for 34 from 3 we can take advantage and beat them in the last possession of the game. I'm guessing Jay Wright is willing to concede that in a 1 and done situation if his team shoots 16% from 3 his team is probably on the "done" side of things, whether it's against Marquette or South Carolina.

I hope we get the chance to find out. I guess my point is the Nova game had less to do with us shooting the lights out and more to do with them shooting beyond horrendously, and they still had to give up a 17 point second half lead. To our credit, we took advantage and had a ginormous win. But if I were Jay and saw MU as the 8 seed in my bracket I'm not overly concerned.

I hope we get to find out!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:49 AM »
I would.

Of course they've also proven on any given day we can lose to some of the worst teams in the country (well, conference).

It's good that we beat X. Now we have to beat the team that clubbed us by 14. It's fun to still be talking about meaningful basketball in late February, but I think if there's one thing we know about this team it's that we can't take any W or L for granted.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »

Unless Voodoo has something to do with it and it probably doesn't.   

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2017, 04:24:47 PM »

I agree with the 2nd part but I'm done listening to everyone minimizing the Xavier win. We're going to say that they were missing two of their best players? Fine. We were missing one of our best players with a DNC-CD. We're going to say their 4th best player fouled out? Fine. Then I'm going to say arguably our best player in Luke was limited to 12 minutes because he fouled out in limited minutes.

We got nothing from one of our seniors. We got virtually nothing from another senior. Katin played minutes but was mostly inneffective. Our backup center also fouled out. And we won by 22.

Sumner is out for the season. No changing that. But they've had a few games to learn how to play without him. It sucks that Bluiett was out, he's one of my favorite players in the league. But we can't maximize his absence and minimize JJ's DNP.

We destroyed a shorthanded team and we shot below our season average from the field and from 3. Even if you knew for sure that Bluiett was going to be out, nobody here would have guessed a 22 point dismantling while we shot below our season averages and got a total of 31 minutes, 7 points, and 3-10 shooting from our 3 seniors.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
I agree with the 2nd part but I'm done listening to everyone minimizing the Xavier win. We're going to say that they were missing two of their best players? Fine. We were missing one of our best players with a DNC-CD. We're going to say their 4th best player fouled out? Fine. Then I'm going to say arguably our best player in Luke was limited to 12 minutes because he fouled out in limited minutes.

We got nothing from one of our seniors. We got virtually nothing from another senior. Katin played minutes but was mostly inneffective. Our backup center also fouled out. And we won by 22.

Sumner is out for the season. No changing that. But they've had a few games to learn how to play without him. It sucks that Bluiett was out, he's one of my favorite players in the league. But we can't maximize his absence and minimize JJ's DNP.

We destroyed a shorthanded team and we shot below our season average from the field and from 3. Even if you knew for sure that Bluiett was going to be out, nobody here would have guessed a 22 point dismantling while we shot below our season averages and got a total of 31 minutes, 7 points, and 3-10 shooting from our 3 seniors.

If I knew JP Macura would be their best player on the court I would've guessed around a 20 point win at home. We had all players available. Wojo played the guys that gave us our best chance to win.

We played great. We also played a Xavier team that is a shell of what had it ranked in the top 10 early this year. If the squad they had available on Saturday was the squad the had from November on, they'd be fighting it out with DePaul for 10th place in the BE.

Doesn't mean we didn't play well or didn't take advantage of that.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2017, 04:40:07 PM »
NO, NO, NO.

When Al McGuire snubed the NCAA tournament in favor of the NIT it was because he did not want to play out of his region.  It had to do with the style of officiating.

It was more about playing in the Midwest, far away from MKE,  rather than the Mideast, which took Notre Dame (which beat us by a point in double OT at their place) and Jacksonville (which played nobody all year). The following year we were back in the Mideast and got completely hosed by officials in Athens, Ga.