[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 79Warrior
[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 137031 times)

Tums Festival

• All American
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 11:57:59 AM »
One of the things that really disturbs me, which I think will be the real downfall of MU basketball, is the number of fans attending a game.

SMDH...overly dramatic much?!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
The window for Wojo to recruit above trend is very limited. Coming in he had the "Duke Halo" and was able to offer recruits the ability to play right away. It is not unusual in these circumstances for a guy to get some good recruiting classes. Each year we get further away from that Wojo has to sell his own performance record.

Last year was unacceptable, and as far as I am concerned that  performance and the non conference season this year are his mulligan. If Wojo cannot produce in conference this year then we need to look in a different direction. I know there are those that say give the guy 4-5  years etc . However, for the money we are spending and the resources he has that is simply too long. Also I dispute the notion that we were a dumpster fire when he arrived.

Wojo needs to deliver a .500 year in conference in my view to demonstrate he has the actually game coaching capability to succeed.  That means he will have to win most of the home games and get a few wins on the road. If Wojo can do that then I would be willing  to sign up for two more years.

There are plenty of successful coaches who would love to coach at Marquette and can get the job done . If Wojo can't achieve mediocre results as outlined above then he cant get the job done and I say, in that event, lets regroup and hire a seasoned head coach. Another lousy year will sink us for a good 5-7 years.

My instinct is Wojo would have been much better off starting his coaching career at a low major and showing some performance.

In the meantime MU Rah

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:18:52 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
"see the fire"? Lol. Such a meathead fan comment.

LOL.  "Fight no fire with fire" apparently.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »
I say, let the guy keep coaching.  He has been around Coach K for many years.  Let him get his system in place.  Once his players get it and execute it will be a different story.  Give his some slack.  Once he feels he is on egg shells it is over.  I

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
SMDH...overly dramatic much?!

Seriously. The late 90s into Crean's tenure saw some pretty barren crowds. Just had to start winning again.

I also think that a school like ours having 12,000+ season ticket holders between students and alums/general public is a really great accomplishment. It looks worse than it is because we play in an oversized arena.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 09:26:02 PM »
Who do you think MU would hire if they fired Wojo? History says they would hire another assistant. Starting a revolving door is probably not a good idea. Wojo deserves the time to see where he can take this team this year and next year. After that he has no excuses.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:42:07 AM by bilsu »

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »
I am reserving judgment until March 2016.  But my judgment does not matter as Marquette will keep Wojo through March 2017, even if the product is terrible.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »
My only objection would be that in any successful organization, when they figure out that the person they hired isn't the right fit for the job they have no problem cutting ties as soon as they come to that conclusion.

I don't think most people will have a problem cutting ties when they come to that conclusion. I just think most of us disagree that you can make this a rash decision. Whether as coach or CEO, you hired this person for a reason. Not giving him the chance to enact his vision only results in churn.

...In two seasons + 3 games, his teams tend not to play all that hard, can't defend and suck at shooting.

One season and three games. Just one.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
I don't see the fire in Wojo that I remember when he was a tough, top notch Duke PG. Kevin O'Neill had fire from Day 1, when we were at our lowest after years of incompetence. Sure, I understand he was 'improper' at times. And I understand Wojo has the youngest team around (as O'Neill had against Duke). But damn, show some fire. (Afraid you may screw up your future dream job ?) Duane needs a kick up the butt. jJJ needs to go to Div 3. We lost by 30 which could have been 50 ..make a point! Mediocrity can only be accepted for so long.

so, who ya crappin?

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

One season and three games. Just one.

Thanks, Im not sure why I typed that. It has been corrected.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
Not sure if it was posted elsewhere but can we get a peek at the season checklist? I feel we are checking off quite a few boxes at this point

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 08:26:58 PM »
Sports are funny

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »
Sports are funny

I agree.  The fire Wojo sentiments were idiotic. 

We have a Freshman PG, who has limited experience because of a serious knee injury.

Our other Freshman PG has never played the position before.

We have a Freshman McDonalds All-American, who having played in WI, does not have a ton of experience at this level and is still learning team defense.

We have an experienced Big, but he is coming off Shoulder surgery.

We have a very good PG/SG, but he only has 1 year of experience and is still learning.

We have a SG who had to completely revamp his shot in the off-season because it was so dreadful. 

They are learning and will improve all season long.  I trust in Wojo.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »

We have a Freshman McDonalds All-American, who having played in WI, does not have a ton of experience at this level and is still learning team defense.

I don't understand this. What freshman--burger boy or not---has any experience at this level?
What does Playing in Wisconsin have to do with anything to do with that? Kevon and Diamond in the same boat?
Still learning team defense? I completely agree. I think he is starting to understand it, but it never has been and never will be a strong suit for HE.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »
bump

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 02:41:54 PM »
too funny!

Death on call

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 02:44:35 PM »
Classic.

Add to it "Wojo doesn't know how to coach in TO huddles!  all i hear is the same old 'coach speak' he needs to be more specific".  I laughed every time they showed the dry erase court being handed to him as the team came together.

Also, lots of references from the announcers at how well coached MU is.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 02:47:08 PM »
Amazing what a rollercoaster this season has been. I have to say, since Iowa, Wojo has done a fantastic job. Going into NYC, I think most would have been happy with 1-1, instead we beat a ranked LSU team and an ASU team that looks pretty good. Granted, you can only take so much from the cupcake wins, but the team looks far more motivated, ahead of the curve in terms of the new defensive rules, and in general is just a better team. Since this thread was started, we are 7-0 (soon to be 9-0 with Chicago State and Prebyterian upcoming).

I had my own questions about Wojo early in the season. Thus far, he has absolutely answered the bell. I wasn't ready to fire him (or even close) but I'm really glad he's making people eat some crow. And while I may only have an appetizer of crow nuggets myself, they are freaking delicious.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
There is only one conclusion here.

Wojo read this thread and got his act together.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »

So another letter writing campaign ends successfully!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
Wojo coached one helluva game today. If Brown doesn't shoot out of his mind, MU wins easily. Completely took away their two big guns.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »

or there is magic in those white practice shirts.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

Scoop always delivers

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
or there is magic in those white practice shirts.

How long until the spirit shop start selling "official" MUBB white t shirts?