[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brooklyn Roll Call  (Read 12405 times)

reinko

• All American
Brooklyn Roll Call
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
Who is headed there on Monday?  Any NY Area Scoopers have tips for pre and/or post game refreshments? 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Re: Brooklyn Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
I'll be there, heading over from Manhattan.  The pregame bar for MU fans is Koelner BierHalle (KBH), located at 84 St. Marks Pl Brooklyn, NY 11217.  I've never been there, but can detail a few places nearby that are also worth checking out:

The Smoke Joint - awesome bbq, great whiskey - there are a ton of other restaurants/bars around as well
Purbird - no alcohol, but amazing chicken and serious sides as well.  Seriously, visit here for lunch
Die Stammkneipe - old german beer hall, cash only, has foosball, great place to have some good beer and just hang out

Other than those spots, don't have a whole ton of insight into the rest of that area.

Depending where you are staying, I would recommend elsewhere for post-game activities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
My wife and I will be there, driving all the way up from NC (with stopovers in Philly and Easton to see family and friends).

Thanks for the info on places to go, etc.

This reminds me that I haven't received anything official from MU yet -- including ticket pick-up info, gathering info, etc. They told me when I ordered the tix that they'd send something out a week in advance. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I guess I'll call them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »
I am on the fence right now - would make for a long day but a very fun trip. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 02:19:06 PM »
The future Mrs. Tamu is from long island so we are going. In exchange I get the joy of spending thanksgiving with the future in laws
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
My wife and I will be there, driving all the way up from NC (with stopovers in Philly and Easton to see family and friends).

Thanks for the info on places to go, etc.

This reminds me that I haven't received anything official from MU yet -- including ticket pick-up info, gathering info, etc. They told me when I ordered the tix that they'd send something out a week in advance. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I guess I'll call them.
Hmmmm, I received an email two Fridays ago with those details.  Pretty much all it said was tickets were held at will-call and KBH was the pregame spot and opens at 3pm.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
The future Mrs. Tamu is from long island so we are going. In exchange I get the joy of spending thanksgiving with the future in laws

Way to take one for the team!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »

Will be coming in on the LIRR from Bethpage,  remember adult beverages allowed on the train as long as they are in the inconspicuous paper bag.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
I'll be there, heading over from Manhattan.  The pregame bar for MU fans is Koelner BierHalle (KBH), located at 84 St. Marks Pl Brooklyn, NY 11217.

Do you have to prepare register for this,  or just can anyone just show up?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
I'll be there with the missus.  Easy sell getting my wife to Brooklyn since she is a foodie.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 08:55:12 PM »
If you guys are in to beer, Mission Dolores, Pacific Standard and Owl Farm are great bars near the Barclay's Center.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
Just suck it up

And get used to it

And you better smile the whole time

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Hmmmm, I received an email two Fridays ago with those details.  Pretty much all it said was tickets were held at will-call and KBH was the pregame spot and opens at 3pm.

OK ... I DEFINITELY am going to call tomorrow.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
Not this year. Couldn't convince anyone to go coming off the down year.

Hope to be at MSG next year (or this coming march) and definitely will be in Maui in 2017.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
Hey Guys-

'92 Grad and NYC metro area native here that has lived in Brooklyn Heights (about a mile from Barclays) for 12 years.  Here are some recommendations.  Most of these places are not in the immediate vicinity of Barclays but all within a 1.5 mile range....2-3 Subway stops or at most a 10 minute cab ride even in traffic.  Here Goes:

High End
Henry's End or sister place Brooklyn Heights Wine Bar 2 doors down- Brooklyn Heights
Colonie - Brooklyn Heights
Jack the Horse Tavern- Brooklyn Heights
Al Di La Trattoria - Park Slope
Brucie - Cobble Hill

Mid Range
Frankies Spuntino - Carroll Gardens
Lucali (Pizza) - Carroll Gardens
Buttermilk Channel - Carroll Gardens
Pok Pok - Red Hook (A little further than some of the others but worth the trip)
Duck Goose - Gowanus
The Pines- Gowanus

Casual
Wilma Jean- Carroll Gardens
Henry Public - Brooklyn Heights
Pork Slope - Park Slope
Dinosaur BBQ - Park Slope
Fletcher's BBQ - Gowanus
Littleneck - Gowanus

I could go on for a while but these are all good bets or you could just walk along Smith Street. Tons of  Restaurants bars there.  Enjoy the big apple!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 07:26:37 AM »

just get the proper pronunciation of Long Island down and you'll be fine.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 07:30:15 AM »
Will be coming in on the LIRR from Bethpage,  remember adult beverages allowed on the train as long as they are in the inconspicuous paper bag.

Wow!  Metro North is much easier, as you can forget the paper bag.  It's tradition to buy a tall boy at one of the shops or the snack cart for the ride home from NYC.
You should see the Yankee Clipper train on the way to a Yankee game.  Taligate party on wheels.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 08:17:40 AM »
just get the proper pronunciation of Long Island down and you'll be fine.

Louon Guylind

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 11:33:30 AM »
You sound like a local

GoldenEagles1990

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
Foleys in Manhattan. Great sports bar, right across the street from the Empire State Building. I make sure to stop there every time I'm in the City.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 10:47:37 PM »
My wife just asked: "Why are we going to Brooklyn again?"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 02:09:35 AM »
My wife just asked: "Why are we going to Brooklyn again?"

Hah, well I'll be there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »
OK ... so how do all the Scoopers in Brooklyn meet?

Do we all wear red bow ties or something?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

Look for the ankle bracelets

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
I wanted to go...bad. But the better half was stiff arming me.  Now I am glad she did.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
I say go the game and get of of Dodge as fast as you can. There is only downside in Brooklyn.  There are plenty of great places in Manhattan.
Hey Guys-

'92 Grad and NYC metro area native here that has lived in Brooklyn Heights (about a mile from Barclays) for 12 years.  Here are some recommendations.  Most of these places are not in the immediate vicinity of Barclays but all within a 1.5 mile range....2-3 Subway stops or at most a 10 minute cab ride even in traffic.  Here Goes:

High End
Henry's End or sister place Brooklyn Heights Wine Bar 2 doors down- Brooklyn Heights
Colonie - Brooklyn Heights
Jack the Horse Tavern- Brooklyn Heights
Al Di La Trattoria - Park Slope
Brucie - Cobble Hill

Mid Range
Frankies Spuntino - Carroll Gardens
Lucali (Pizza) - Carroll Gardens
Buttermilk Channel - Carroll Gardens
Pok Pok - Red Hook (A little further than some of the others but worth the trip)
Duck Goose - Gowanus
The Pines- Gowanus

Casual
Wilma Jean- Carroll Gardens
Henry Public - Brooklyn Heights
Pork Slope - Park Slope
Dinosaur BBQ - Park Slope
Fletcher's BBQ - Gowanus
Littleneck - Gowanus

I could go on for a while but these are all good bets or you could just walk along Smith Street. Tons of  Restaurants bars there.  Enjoy the big apple!

In my view go to the game and get out of Dodge as fast as you can. There is a ton of crime in Brooklyn and non of the above are worth the risk of getting shot.  Stick with Manhattan plenty of great places there .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »

Blue hoodie,  gold warrior T,  MU hat.   Don't be shy,  just ask,  Reinko?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
Yes Sir and yes Mam' will go a long way for you...
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
Blue hoodie,  gold warrior T,  MU hat.   Don't be shy,  just ask,  Reinko?

I'm gold hoodie, bald head, cute wife.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
Why the hate on Brooklyn MU Fan in NY?   95% of violent crime there occurs in 2 police precincts..... neither of which are anywhere near Barclays or any of the places Disco mentioned.  It's like saying don't go to Chicago because of all the problems there which is ridiculous because everyone knows they're limited to certain areas.  You must not be a NYC area native.   The Bklyn foodie scene has been way ahead of the curve can't mpared to Manhattan for years.  By the way......The Team and MU traveling entourage are staying in Brooklyn.  Disco was just trying to help fellow scoopers from out of town.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Why the hate on Brooklyn MU Fan in NY?   95% of violent crime there occurs in 2 police precincts..... neither of which are anywhere near Barclays or any of the places Disco mentioned.  It's like saying don't go to Chicago because of all the problems there which is ridiculous because everyone knows they're limited to certain areas.  You must not be a NYC area native.   The Bklyn foodie scene has been way ahead of the curve can't mpared to Manhattan for years.  By the way......The Team and MU traveling entourage are staying in Brooklyn.  Disco was just trying to help fellow scoopers from out of town.

Pleased to see this.

I'm staying in Brooklyn and plan to eat/drink in Brooklyn. I've been to NYC dozens of times but have never been to Brooklyn. I plan to enjoy myself to the fullest and learn about a place that will be new to me.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:39 AM »
I say go the game and get of of Dodge as fast as you can. There is only downside in Brooklyn.  There are plenty of great places in Manhattan. In my view go to the game and get out of Dodge as fast as you can. There is a ton of crime in Brooklyn and non of the above are worth the risk of getting shot.  Stick with Manhattan plenty of great places there .

MarquetteNYFan
I disagree with your post. It's a very nice area. And crime stats in the area disprove your assessment.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »

Meetin' the Fockers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
Saw McIlvaine today on Broadway near Times Square. Told him we would see him tomorrow at the Barclays Center.

Fire up Marquette!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Before the German beer hall,  hitting up this spot if anyone Warriors want to join us,  should be there around 430ish http://www.stgambrinusbeer.com/

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
I will be going to one of the games in Brooklyn. Sticking with my logistics methodology though. Getting out as fast as I can. In my view and ,considerable experience ,Brooklyn is a place where everything seems nice , until it isn't . I know it is trendy and hipster now, and so do the crooks. As to the analogy of Chicago, in the bad old days of Cabrini Green a smart person did not venture far west of the Gold Coast . That is what Brooklyn is today. A small colonized area near some very tough areas. Remember , the NYC cops are no longer willing to get out of their squad cars  and only do the minimum in the anti cop environment that exists.

Manhattan is much more safe and secure.

I hope everyone has a great time and we win both games.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
MarquetteNYFan
I disagree with your post. It's a very nice area. And crime stats in the area disprove your assessment.

I agree, but sometimes you can't take the Wisconsin out of an MU fan.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »

Death on call

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2015, 10:25:49 PM »
I will be going to one of the games in Brooklyn. Sticking with my logistics methodology though. Getting out as fast as I can. In my view and ,considerable experience ,Brooklyn is a place where everything seems nice , until it isn't . I know it is trendy and hipster now, and so do the crooks. As to the analogy of Chicago, in the bad old days of Cabrini Green a smart person did not venture far west of the Gold Coast . That is what Brooklyn is today. A small colonized area near some very tough areas. Remember , the NYC cops are no longer willing to get out of their squad cars  and only do the minimum in the anti cop environment that exists.

Manhattan is much more safe and secure.

I hope everyone has a great time and we win both games.

I just spent the evening wandering around Brooklyn, eating, and drinking.  and I felt safer than my days at Marquette (yes, about 2 decades ago).  Either you're living off old memories, or need to get around more.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:34:47 PM by rocky_warrior »

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2015, 10:36:32 PM »
Good for you Rocky!  Where did you hang?  Take Disco up on any of those recommendations? 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »
I just spent the evening wandering around Brooklyn, eating, and drinking.  and I felt safer than my days at Marquette (yes, about a decade ago).  Either you're living off old memories, or need to get around more.
Glad your evening went well.

Your making my point. Modern day Brooklyn seems safe. But then stuff like this happens:
http://nypost.com/2015/09/21/teen-stabbed-cop-maced-in-brawl-outside-barclays-center/

I get around plenty.

Odds are nothing happens but I feel better putting a cautious viewpoint out there for everyone to consider as well.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Your making my point. Modern day Brooklyn seems safe. But then stuff like this happens:
http://nypost.com/2015/09/21/teen-stabbed-cop-maced-in-brawl-outside-barclays-center/

I get around plenty.

Does't sound like it.  Modern day Manhattan seems safe, and then stuff like this happens...
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/manhattan-barber-shop-worker-fatally-stabbed-chest-cops-article-1.2436118

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
Good for you Rocky!  Where did you hang?  Take Disco up on any of those recommendations?

Tried Not Rays and Pacific Standard.  Will try some of his low end suggestions as I'm a hole in the wall kind of guy.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »
Does't sound like it.  Modern day Manhattan seems safe, and then stuff like this happens...
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/manhattan-barber-shop-worker-fatally-stabbed-chest-cops-article-1.2436118
The incident  in this article happened in Harlem. Which is in Manhattan. I  advise people not to go north of 96th street on the East Side or 125th on the West Side of Manhattan.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:11:43 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
                       ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 04:46:54 AM »
BTW, just for your information, if Brooklyn was not in NYC it would be the 4th largest city in the country.  What?

Therefore, a lot happens in Brooklyn, remember the Brooklyn Dodgers?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 08:08:47 AM »

We are definitely going to "Duck Goose" on Wed night.  Thought "Boomwich" had really good sandwiches on Atlantic just down from Barclays Center.  Also, Zenkichi was really good in Williamsburg.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
The incident  in this article happened in Harlem. Which is in Manhattan. I  advise people not to go north of 96th street on the East Side or 125th on the West Side of Manhattan.

The more you write, the more it seems you live in the 1983 version of NYC.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 09:48:21 AM »
The more you write, the more it seems you live in the 1983 version of NYC.
The more things change , the more they stay the same.

I will be at the game tomorrow. Hope it is for the championship.

---Al McGuire

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Tried Not Rays and Pacific Standard.  Will try some of his low end suggestions as I'm a hole in the wall kind of guy.

Seriously, check out Purbird near the Barclays Center for some amazing chicken.  I'm thinking about going there tomorrow before the game potentially.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »

Ill be wearing my favorite game day t-shirt

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
I've spent very little time in Brooklyn, and I've never been murdered. Marquette Fan in NY might be on to something.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
I've spent very little time in Brooklyn, and I've never been murdered. Marquette Fan in NY might be on to something.

I have heard that Derrick Wilson roams the streets looking to dispense punishment to those that have been critical of him in the past. Luckily his range to date has been contained to Brooklyn and Manhattan north of 95th street  on the east side and north of 125th street on the west side.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Still need to buy tix. Anyone know the Marquette sections?

At that German bar if anyone has extras.

p.s. Well played Jake
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:43:24 PM by MarquetteDano »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
Still need to buy tux. Anyone know the Marquette sections?

At that German bar if anyone has extras.

I got my tux at Brooks Brothers
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
Three minutes to game time and lots of empty seats. Marquette seems to be more well represented
TAMU

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »
Being "safe" is very over rated.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 10:51:49 PM »
I have heard that Derrick Wilson roams the streets looking to dispense punishment to those that have been critical of him in the past. Luckily his range to date has been contained to Brooklyn and Manhattan north of 95th street  on the east side and north of 125th street on the west side.
Pray....
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 11:35:48 PM »
Ate dinner in, went to the game in, and partied after in Brooklyn today. I didn't get stabbed.
TAMU

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
Where's Bricky?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »
Ate dinner in, went to the game in, and partied after in Brooklyn today. I didn't get stabbed.

Amazing, that does not fit into the Midwest narrative about New York, especially Brooklyn.  I bet the food was outstanding, you see, New York has the best ingredients, the best cooks, the best wait staffs, if you can't find it in NY it does not exist.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »
Come to Brooklyn so we can mug you